Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Bardiel
Bardiel

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Watched Skin Trade starring Dolph Lundgren and Tony Jaa. The action sequences were mostly solid but the characters were sort of lame to root for. And it sets up for a sequel that I don't think will get off ground level.
Gundam Wing is the N-Sync of mecha anime. - NemZ

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:05 pm

Gone Girl.

SPOILER: Show
Is it weird that the scene where she kills Neil Patrick Harris kinda turns me on?

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:24 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Gone Girl.

Is it weird that the scene where she kills Neil Patrick Harris kinda turns me on?

:freud:

Vell, you may have a vixation on being penetrated by ze vemale in your zexual coupling. I vould zeggest you experiment vith pegging as this may zatisfy your zexual veelings in thiz area. Auf Wiedersehen und good luck!
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:46 pm

Remember who you're talking to here.

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:55 pm

I watched X-Men: Apocalypse the other day. It felt like it had nothing new in it, like it was just a compilation of bits and pieces of all the previous films. Still, definitely not the dumpster fire I was expecting. Okay. Not great, but just okay.

Gus Hanson
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:27 pm

The Blues Brothers is STILL one of the BEST movies ever made and "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" is still my number one favorite song from this rhythm n blues musical. ^_^
Gundam Wing is the N-Sync of mecha anime. - NemZ

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:18 pm

I caught that on tv yesterday too. ^_^

Midnight Special is absolutely nothing special. Top to bottom overrated wooden actors with a child in the middle does not make for riveting suspense.

A Serious Man, on the hand, is fantastic weirdness. I still have no idea what the hell the opening scene was about though.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:14 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I caught that on tv yesterday too. ^_^

The Blues Brothers is one of my all time favourites. I swear it changes every time I watch it though.
A Serious Man, on the hand, is fantastic weirdness. I still have no idea what the hell the opening scene was about though.

It's been a long time since I've watched it, but the opening scene is very important to the plot despite seeming completely irrelevant at the time, in that very Coen Brothers way.
TLDR: The ancient rabbi is the ghost from the opening scene.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:38 pm

I'm not sure that's meaningful, really, or that he's supposed to actually be the same character. And even if they are, what the hell does that tell us about anything?
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:37 pm

I saw Moonlight last after a screener came for my Mom. I was expecting it to be good, but not this damn good. I've never seen a movie this intimate with it's viewer in telling it's story.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:27 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:The Blues Brothers is STILL one of the BEST movies ever made and "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" is still my number one favorite song from this rhythm n blues musical. ^_^

It's in my top five.

1. Back to the Future (I consider the trilogy one unit since it's a contiguous story)
2. Jaws
3. Star Wars
4. The Blues Brothers
5. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Apollo 13 comes in at 6.

I watch all of these multiple times per year. I'm tempted to put Jaws at no 1 just because, like The Blues Brothers, if I see it on TV or whatever I'll stop whatever I was doing and watch it instead.

I watched Wrath of Khan last night.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Got done watching Captain Fantastic with my mother and older cousin. It could've been edited down shorter, but the script, humor, character relationships, and excellent performance of Mortensen make up for it.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Dr. Nick
Committeeman
Committeeman

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Split. Getting ending-twisted by M. Night Shyamalan hasn't felt this good in like 15 years. Blessed are those who avoid spoilers going in.

Justacrazyguy
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:11 pm

Silence: Excellent movie. Any concerns I had before watching it disappeared quickly and I had a great time most of the time. With most of the time, I mean there were a couple of tiny things that annoyed me. The most serious one is that I felt the epilogue was just a couple of minutes too long.

And the other issue I had was, and this is a big spoiler:
God manifesting himself. The movie was ambiguous about the existence of God until that one tiny moment were God SPEAKS! It's as silly as it sounds. I guess I could pretend it was just Rodrigues hallucination, but I know that's just my own justification.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:34 pm

^that was in the original book and was actually a lot more ambiguous there as to whether it was.

Jesus actually talking to Rodrigues, or a hallucination brought on by his physical and psychological torture.

The point of it was to show that if God cared enough to be killed to save us from hell, you think He cares if you're forced to desecrate His earthly image under duress? It's up to the reader to decide.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:58 pm

It's still very ambiguous in the film.

Does God ACTUALLY speak to Rodrigues or having been pushed to the brink of sanity is the broken man just IMAGINING what he needs to hear to survive? The voice of God is performed by Ciaran Hinds, the actor from the opening scene who plays Father Valignano, who is Rodrigues' OTHER mentor. Now that Father Ferreira is a betrayer to the faith & not the idealized man Rodgrigues saw him who does he hear at his most broken moment but the other Priest he looks up to an inspiration, the very man he spends the first half of the film writing long letters too - as expressed in voiceover. The voice of God is essentially the man who sent him out on his mission at the beginning.

I'm glad the film still went there as the book did. It would have been very easy to overdo that moment - I imagine what Mel Gibson would have done that with that moment & shudder - but ultimately it's just a familiar voice that only a broken man hears.

Also, very subtle is after Rodrigues steps on the image of Christ once the sound returns we hear a cock crow in the distance drawing a direct link to Peter's denial of Christ in the Bible.

I think the movie handles that point very beautifully and with nuance. Faith is ultimately an internal discussion.

Beautiful film.

Justacrazyguy
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:30 am

Thanks for the replies. What you said does make me look at that scene in a different light.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:23 pm

Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits: (1981)

From one of the insane minds behind Monty Python comes one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. This is hilarious. Satirical, but heartfelt. With a good laugh-to-gag ratio.

The basic plot is a young boy who is abducted by time traveling dwarf pirates, and has a string of adventures through various historical eras with them. From medieval times, to ancient Greece, to the Titanic. Viewing the story through the eyes of a kid really allows the satirical elements to shine through. Historical accuracy isn't the priority here, it's history as viewed through the innocent eyes of a young boy.

Let me just say there are some things in this movie that would never get put in a kids movies these days. People get shot, set on fire, blown up, impaled by spears, crushed inside a suit of armor by a clockwork monster. It's pretty intense for a kids movie.

I wish I had seen this movie earlier because if I were a kid when I saw this, it would have blown my mind.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:31 am

M. Night Shyamalamadingdong's
Spl/t

I've never seen a film justify its otherworldy logic in its last 30 seconds in a way that makes the biggest marks against the realism of the preceding content excusable.

Not quite a spoiler but:
If you're good with remembering certain music, you'll be able to sense it coming right before it happens.
Last edited by Guy Nacks on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:09 am

Time Bandits was awesome. :thumbsup:

I saw Fire and Ice today... how did I go this long in life without knowing about an animated movie that features a Conan/Batman hybrid?

Return to “Film and Video”