Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:21 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Noah Baumbach's Frances Ha: It is rare to come across a film that I can appreciate and enjoy for its marvellous direction and execution, but can't get over how much I hate the protagonist. It's not like she is even badly written in Frances Ha, but it really made me more critical of the film. I loved the film's relentless pacing and ambitious/crazy editing - they were clearly made to mimic the protagonist's personality and how she sees the world (and it worked very well like that). My beef with the film is how the naive ending refuses to acknowledge the downsides of the bizarre protagonist and instead remains in the fantasy world she has created for herself. The film seemed to be building towards a different sort of ending and now all the tricks the film pulled seem more like the director being hip for the sake of being hip. The combination of chaotic dialogue and second-hand embarrassment can be quite overwhelming at times, but I guess the film is a fairly good portrayal of carefree and socially inept wannabe artists.

That feel when ill. :|

I knew I'd miss out! GAHH! I guess I gotta DL this and watch it for myself in case no BD is out yet in finnish stores...

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:02 pm

Finally, after what seemed to be a very long time, Inglourious Basterds.

The last ten minutes of it is not for the squeamish. Seriously.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:41 am

Castaway on the Moon (aka Kim's Island)

It was fantastic. Some parts had me almost in tears laughing and the ending had me in tears from the feels. Truly a unique story. Definite 9/10 from me.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:52 pm

My girlfriend tricked me into watching Cannibal Holocaust. It's the first film to ever make me feel physically sick, please try to avoid it at all cost. :XP:
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:54 pm

^I don't mean to be insulting but what kind of girlfriend is that?
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:49 pm

An awesome girlfriend.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:13 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:^I don't mean to be insulting but what kind of girlfriend is that?

To be fair she was just getting me back for something horrible I did.

@Chuckman Tell that to my upset stomach. keep in mind this happened a week ago.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Amazing. Your girlfriend must be having the equivalent of steel balls and guts.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Saw the new RoboCop, and it was pretty good.

It was nice they did their own thing with the character, and that it wasn't just a stale retread.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:47 am

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:Saw the new RoboCop, and it was pretty good.

It was nice they did their own thing with the character, and that it wasn't just a stale retread.

This is good to hear; I'll be seeing it this Sunday.

Also thinking about seeing 12 Years a Slave this week before it goes out of theaters here, might post here about it (for a change) if I do.
Voluntary Illusion.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:36 am

Well, I watched I Am Number 4. Where to begin?

Well, this DVD was a gift from my godawful school, and as soon as I tore the shrinkwrap off I knew something was wrong; it still had the red plastic security tab in it. I wonder how legitimately this DVD was obtained. I wouldn't be surprised if it had been pikeyed, as the school I'm at at the moment, Muntham House (which I only go to so I can get to Chichester College, because reasons) was infamous for harbouring a massive paedophile ring in the 70s (amusingly enough, the article is blocked on the school computers). But enough about my school.

Anyway, after we managed to tear the security tab out and damaged the box in the process, I began to wish we hadn't bothered. This film...is crap. Not unspeakably awful, not even so bad it's good, just...crap.

For starters, the acting is dreadful. Seriously, the dog was the best actor in this film. The MC was extremely generic, the love interest was boring, basically all the characters were straight out of the book of stock Hollywood cliches. The acting was wooden, the writing was extremely meh, it was just bad.

The story was just a teen romance disguised as an alien movie. As expected, the "Good" aliens were just good-looking humans with the ability to make things glow and shiny weapons. The "Evil" aliens were skinheads with gills, tattoos, sharp teeth and silly accents. Seriously, can't we have some protag aliens with 4 arms, red skin, 6 eyes and dual sets of genitalia? And maybe some villains who resemble hyper-exaggerated aryans?

The effects were, well, they were OK I guess? The creatures were pretty cool, everything else was painfully generic.

Eh, I've run out of things to say about this film. It's like a slightly less painful, version of Twilight, but with glowy aliens instead of sparkly vampires.

Hopefully I'll be able to watch The Lego Movie soon, which looks brilliant.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:54 pm

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:Saw the new RoboCop, and it was pretty good.

thank god it doesn't totally suck. I was worried for a bit.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Gorbatschow » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:08 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:doesn't totally suck.

Depends on what you are expectation. I'm not a fan of the original so I didn't really have any expectation at all. What I got was a mediocre action-movie with a lot of CGI, typical PG-13-Action, weirdly aloof, impersonal characters and a weird arc of suspense.

It's neither fish nor fowl, the action just can't deliver and the story is ... there, I guess.

Not a disaster, but nothing I would actually pay for. :|
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:16 pm

I have a rather soft spot for Robocop as it was the fist R-rated movie I saw
so, I am curious how they handled this new remake.

But I think someone who has never watched the original probably wouldn't really
have a desire to go seek out the new version.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:35 am

The Raiders of Atlantis: Ho ho ho, more Deodato. Much like Action 52 has the Cheetahmen theme as its sole redeeming feature, this film has this amazing funky song.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:32 am

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:Depends on what you are expectation. I'm not a fan of the original so I didn't really have any expectation at all.

This is not meant as an insult, so keep that in mind.

Given your age, your statement is understandable. The original RoboCop was basically a giant parody of 1980s pop culture. It was wrapped up in action, a bunch of swearing and a bit of gore (all equally appropriate to the 1980s), but it was parody and satire nonetheless. Certain things are specifically demographic inclusive or exclusive in movies and media. If you don't fit the demographic, you simply won't "get it". I'd actually be surprised if anyone born after the early 1980s actually got the point of RoboCop. This isn't an insult by any means. It's just the way some offerings in movie and television are.

Anyway, back on topic...

I just saw the animated Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight the other day. To give you some idea of how bad it is, it is 94 minutes of a clumsy combination of bad 1980s hand-drawn animation with shitty 1990s CGI dragons...and the movie was made and released in 2008.

On a more hilarious note, I saw The Prisoner of Second Avenue as well. Brilliant comedy gold with a bit where Jack Lemmon (accidentally) mugs Sylvester Stallone. I really got the sense that the very funny Folks (starring Tom Selleck) got its inspiration.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:36 pm

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:I just saw the animated Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight the other day. To give you some idea of how bad it is, it is 94 minutes of a clumsy combination of bad 1980s hand-drawn animation with shitty 1990s CGI dragons...and the movie was made and released in 2008.

Rented that from Redbox a few years ago. Oh my god so bad.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:17 am

Only God Forgives (2013): I know opinions were really divisive on this after its release but I really enjoyed it. Stunning visuals and cinematography that manage to create an intense underlying sense of dread and malevolence. Much of the framing is perfect, courted well by excellent yet sparse BGM (The synths at the start of the Muay Thai between Julian and the Lieutenant literally left me in awe - Could only imagine the effect it would've had in cinema), and I love how surreal the "visions" were.

Very bizarre, yet distinct. Great film.
Will have to seek out more of Nicolas Winding Refn's work.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Gorbatschow » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:50 am

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:Given your age, your statement is understandable. The original RoboCop was basically a giant parody of 1980s pop culture. It was wrapped up in action, a bunch of swearing and a bit of gore (all equally appropriate to the 1980s), but it was parody and satire nonetheless. Certain things are specifically demographic inclusive or exclusive in movies and media. If you don't fit the demographic, you simply won't "get it". I'd actually be surprised if anyone born after the early 1980s actually got the point of RoboCop. This isn't an insult by any means. It's just the way some offerings in movie and television are.

I was aware of that. :lol: That's why I didn't say "it was bad" since it's quite obvious, that this movie wasn't made for "people like me". As far as I can tell, many RoboCop-Fans dislike the remake for similar reasons like the ones I listed.

=====

Saw Quiet Earth yesterday.

It was okay I guess. The characters were well thought out and believable and the general idea wasn'T very original but executed very well. The problem I have with this movie is, that it seemed like it was building up a big revelation and then ended like it did. :uhh:
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:48 pm

Jeff Nichols' Mud: A very good all-around film - not flashy or special in any way, but it has got the basics down so well it deserves some praise. I liked the well-written characters: the adults are sensible and understanding yet humanly flawed, the kids are kids even if they are mature for their age. While I was slightly disappointed that the interesting subcontext of civilization v nature is ignored for the sake of drama, I have no complaints about the script itself. The casting of Matthew McConaughey remains a mystery for me, though. I thought he may be cast against type so that he can show off his acting chops or there is irony in casting him in this film, but neither option seems likely after seeing the film. His performance was OK but nothing special. The film also made a terrible excuse just to get his shirt off for a while.

Oh, and Neckbone is the best name for any character ever.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Return to “Film and Video”