Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:08 pm

Ok, here are mine:

*Angel Beats sucks. Like, really sucks. HARD. It's pacing is bad, it doesn't know genre it wants to be and it has zero character development for all the good characters. Also the main character is boring as sin and the episode arc involving those shadow things is stupid and out of nowhere.

*Elfen Lied is pure, unadulterated garbage. Confusing morals, lack of actual plot, and one of the most unsatisfying endings ever. Also violent for the sake of violent. The series COULD have worked if the violence was more subdued, but no, they make over the top and impossible to take seriously.

*Dragon Ball GT isn't that bad. While it has it's moments of stupidity, it's overall still decent, and it's final arc is fantastic (seriously, Omega Shenron is BADASS).

*SD Gundam Force is pretty good.

*The second season of Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions is better then the first. I felt the second season gave more of what made the first season enjoyable, and it actually pulled off a love triangle successfully and uniquely. It's ending was a cop out though.

*Robotech is better then Macross (watch the flame wars begin XD).

*The Bleach fillers, with the exception of the Gotei 13 Invasion Arc, are not that bad. They aren't fantastic, but they're enjoyable.

*Fate/Zero, while great, is Gen Urobuchi's weakest work. Over reliance on exposition really hurt this series in the long run, though I will admit the second half completely saved this show (keep in mind, I freakin love Fate/Zero, I just think compared to Psycho-Pass and Madoka Magica it pales in quality. Also keep in mind I have to see Aldonoah.Zero).

*Sacred Star of Milos is better then Conqueror of Shamballa.

*Guilty Crown is Evangelion for stupid people.

*Sword Art Online, when good, is REALLY good. Granted it's weighed down by the craptacular second half, but that first half... it's so good. SO GOOD.

*Mamoru Hosada is better then Hayao Miyazaki. Watch Wolf Children to understand why.
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:21 pm

I think Angel Beats is pretty bad too but that's not controversial.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:22 pm

I didn't much care for Ghost in the Shell. I respect it and appreciate it, but it just didn't do much for me.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:27 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:I think Angel Beats is pretty bad too but that's not controversial.

Angel Beats has a pretty big following of fans. I'd say it's a controversial opinion.
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:37 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I didn't much care for Ghost in the Shell. I respect it and appreciate it, but it just didn't do much for me.

Are we talking the TV series or movies? With both I could understand the reason for your dislike.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:41 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Are we talking the TV series or movies? With both I could understand the reason for your dislike.

The '95 film. I haven't watched any of the TV shows. It's not that I dislike it, I just have no desire to see it again.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:43 pm

I quite like Angel Beats. :tongue:

I'll also support the opinion somewhere up thread that the original FMA is better than Brotherhood; I wouldn't say that Brotherhood is all bad, but it wasn't as good as the original.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:44 pm

@Guy: I'm slightly more surprised that you didn't like the film. What put you off of it?

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Not right at all. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:59 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:It's a parody of martial arts. It's not about war. Also, it plays in a world where tankettes were used for racing. Who knows what kind of highly tuned engines hide under that armor?

No no, not the rally racing per se, it's that the tanks are doing that while firing.

Modern M1 Abrams move just slightly faster than a crawl while firing, and they have the benefit of decades of engineering & material improvement, along with information technologies that help the tank both deal with the recoil and acquire targets.

2nd gen AFVs? Moving at full speed? There's no reason we shouldn't see the turrets consistently burst their traverse gears, while enjoying craptastic accuracy that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:12 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:No no, not the rally racing per se, it's that the tanks are doing that while firing.

Modern M1 Abrams move just slightly faster than a crawl while firing, and they have the benefit of decades of engineering & material improvement, along with information technologies that help the tank both deal with the recoil and acquire targets.

2nd gen AFVs? Moving at full speed? There's no reason we shouldn't see the turrets consistently burst their traverse gears, while enjoying craptastic accuracy that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Maybe you missed it but they are little girls and they don't hit anything on the move except that rare occasion they are less than 5 meters close. In fact the majority is fired stationary.

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:The original Gundam series are boring and not particularly brilliant. The compilation movies made me want to sleep at times. Compare to this Gundam Seed, and Kira is vastly more amusing than Amuro ever was. Even in Seed Destiny, even though Shinn is a pain in the ass and highly dislikable. Mobile Suit Gundam is only popular because people's memory of it is colored by the anime being a series they watched as a kid, just like Transformers Generation 1 is really quite horrible when you watch it again as an adult.

I watched them both as an adult. MSG is a timeless classic. SEED is an abomination.
Last edited by Fireball on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:15 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I quite like Angel Beats. :tongue:

Yeah, I have a lot of friends who like it.

I honestly have nothing against people who like the show, what I hate are people who blindly hate on people who don't (this goes for anything in general).

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:27 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:@Guy: I'm slightly more surprised that you didn't like the film. What put you off of it?

The cop/detective genre has never been one that I've been particularly interested in, save for very few cases (True Detective, Seven). It's not that I think it's a bad film by any means -- it's very well made and has a lot of intelligent ideas -- I'm just bored by the genre. Maybe that's why I haven't gotten around to watching Paranoia Agent yet, even though I've planned to for some time. I've always been more of a bildungsroman-oriented viewer.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:33 pm

View Original PostLegionWrex wrote:*Robotech is better then Macross (watch the flame wars begin XD).

*Mamoru Hosada is better then Hayao Miyazaki. Watch Wolf Children to understand why.

You are so dead to me.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:51 pm

Um, I'm not sure if I have any except Outlaw Star is boring the hell out of me. Granted, I started watching it after finishing Trigun* and its like apples and oranges despite the fact they're both *technically* space westerns and/or involve space pirates but its extremely hard to get through because despite the fact that it has space-ships with grappler arms and war-obsessed cat people, it feels really generic. Plus I don't like the character designs.

* I'm sorry. Vash is my bae -o-;
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:54 pm

View Original Postmechashiva wrote:Um, I'm not sure if I have any except Outlaw Star is boring the hell out of me. Granted, I started watching it after finishing Trigun* and its like apples and oranges despite the fact they're both *technically* space westerns and/or involve space pirates but its extremely hard to get through because despite the fact that it has space-ships with grappler arms and war-obsessed cat people, it feels really generic. Plus I don't like the character designs.

* I'm sorry. Vash is my bae -o-;

I remember enjoying Outlaw Star when it aired on Toonami like a dozen years ago, but then again I've never seen Trigun.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Well, the thing with Outlaw Star was I DID remember seeing it on Toonami vaguely. It was actually my brother who recommended it to me because I honestly had a hard time recalling it except for the Outlaw Star being piloted by Melfina naked in a watery tube so I probably thought at the time it was from Cowboy Bebop or some other show. Its pretty unmemorable to me but that's just my opinion so take it with a big grain of salt :lol:
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:36 pm

About the only opinion of mine that I have expressed around here that has been different to the norm was that I thought The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was 'good' or approaching 'great' but not 'excellent'. (I wrote a post about it when I saw the film two years ago, those curious are directed to read that rather than to ask me about it now)
Voluntary Illusion.

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:13 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:You are so dead to me.

Ah yes, my prediction was right.

The flame war has begun. *gets popcorn*

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:32 pm

might as well add one of my own

-precure is far better than sailor moon
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Necessary anime moment. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:50 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:I'm probably the only one here who that thinks that NTE is better than NGE.

What's NTE?

View Original PostSouther wrote:-Armored Trooper Votoms did not need any of its sequels.

We needed to see the mecha Godhand do his thing in modern anime visuals.

Additionally, the first half of the 6 OVA series was alright, I teared up watching the now considerably older characters revisit the places from the series, and I had only finished watching that two months before. I can only imagine what that must have been like for those who had watched the series 30 years ago.

Seeing that the characters you knew as a child have grown old with you, removed from the past, but not forgotten? It's the kind of closure Pokemon avoids like the plague.

That second half though... could have done without that.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Return to “Anime and Manga”