Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:46 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Speaking of, I just read a horrible theory about the key and that it will turn Amy and the rest into squids and Ledo will surfe with them into the horizon. uh

I wonder why this guy comes to mind

SPOILER: Show

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:24 pm

I was not expecting this episode to be that good. Talk about climactic payoff.
Last edited by CJD on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:12 pm

It raises the question as to whether or not Striker suffered a glitch or Chamber or any MC could pull off this sort of thing.

Gargantia will transform and fire their secret uber weapon. :shoot2kill: And hopefully more Bellows as well. ;)
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:09 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:It raises the question as to whether or not Striker suffered a glitch

Nah, no glitch, just the old "machine applying cold and calculated logic to achieve the goals it was programmed to" that has been done since Hal 9000.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:19 am

View Original Postschwarzstahlhelm1993 wrote:Weren't there going to be like 2 or 3 OVAs after the series? Now I only see one mentioned in wiki.
One OVA will be bundled in each BD Box for the TV series. There are altogether three BD Boxes, thus meaning 3 OVAs. The first OVA is about the early life of Regit IIRC.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:47 pm

So I caught up with this finally.

While the latest episode had some decent action (Finally.), overall I agree with the people saying that Gargantia seems like a lot of half-explored ideas and missed opportunities. Probably the most disappointing of the "big three" mecha series this season in my opinion.

Well there's still one more episode left, maybe it will come together.

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:13 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:While the latest episode had some decent action (Finally.), overall I agree with the people saying that Gargantia seems like a lot of half-explored ideas and missed opportunities.

My opinion is pretty much the same. I started off loving the hell out of Gargantia, but I'm not sure what happened in between that I just simply lost interest.

Probably the most disappointing of the "big three" mecha series this season in my opinion.

Yeah, and, for some reason, MJP, which I started off thinking about as "meh" is my favorite of the three. I think it's the most consistent of them.

Well there's still one more episode left, maybe it will come together.

Yeah, I'm still faithful the finale will be satisfying and wrap things up.

Hopefully.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:24 pm

MJP is my favorite as well.

I'm kind of surprised at some of the similarities it has to Gargantia though.

I mean they both have "OMG THE ALIENS ARE ACTUALLY RELATED TO US" as a plot twist, though I think works better in MJP than in Gargantia.

Though Gargantia revealed it in a cool way with the footage that Ledo finds.

Gargantia in general just seems kind of all over the place. One day we're in space, then fighting pirates, then bellydancing, then fighting squids, then exploring, then joining a cult, then fighting robots etc.

Even Valvrave, for all its nonsense, keeps the "WE'RE SCHOOLCHILDREN TURNING INTO VAMPIRE PILOTS THAT ARE FIGHTING AN ARMY IN SPACE" thing and sticks with it, as ridiculous as it has turned out.
Last edited by The Killer of Heroes on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Completely agreed. Of three shows, MJP has been the most consistent in several ways and progresses. VVV is just randomness (although at least it stays true to its lol randumness), and GGT sadly lacks this.

I think this series in particular should've been longer: maybe, at the very least, five more episodes. Honestly, an arc about a living killing machine adapting to a peaceful world and society, learning of their ways and then having to face his past demons requires more time than just 13 episodes.

I'm hoping that the three OVAs prove me wrong, though. Maybe the series will end in a cliffhanger and the three OVAs will end in a resolution? Who knows. But I'm hoping for that. Because the budget will get higher as a result as well and we'll get glorious mecha and backgrounds and art and animation while giving the resolution.

If there's one thing I loved from GGT, was the TWEEST. Sure, it was a bit late and all, but damn, it was...impressive, as in how they executed it.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:41 pm

View Original Postschwarzstahlhelm1993 wrote:I think this series in particular should've been longer: maybe, at the very least, five more episodes. Honestly, an arc about a living killing machine adapting to a peaceful world and society, learning of their ways and then having to face his past demons requires more time than just 13 episodes.

Yeah Gargantia definitely feels like it needed more episodes.

Another issue for me (And this may just be because I stopped watching anime for a while) is that...I don't really know that much about some of the characters.

Like Ami. I know she has a brother and is carefree, doesn't like killing, likes hanging out with her friends...and uh...yeah. Oh, and she has a pet.

Maybe this is the series' point (With the whole peace vs. progress thing), but she feels even less characterized than Ledo, who's main characteristic is that he really only fought in battles for most of his life, and didn't know what to do with himself in peacetime (There is also of course his reaction to the twist, which didn't really make sense to me. But this was discussed earlier already).

Chamber, ironically, might be the character that is handled best. And he's a robot.

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:22 pm

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Sugita doesn't even have to be human to be a bro

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Rest in R.I.P. Sugitabot, you were the best part in this underwhelming show :salute:

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Paranoid » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:27 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:...you were the best part in this underwhelming show :salute:

Confirmed for MC of the season.
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:29 pm

Chamber was the best part of this series, but honestly
even his destruction didn't do anything for me. His last line was kind of funny, but, eh... Sort of like the Ami lookalike in the found footage scene, it seems like fairly obvious emotional manipulation.

Speaking of that, did anyone even buy Ami as a character? Or Ledo's "OMG I LUV HER" realization?

Also where the hell did that neural linking shit come from? Gargantia's BIG SECRET seemed kind of lame too.

Pretty underwhelming conclusion to a series that was already not very solid IMO.

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Paranoid » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:49 pm

@The Killer of Heroes: Agreed on all points.
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:40 pm

S2 maybe? Some holes were left open.
Like this.

Pinion picked up some interesting problems as well.
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:00 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:Chamber was the best part of this series, but honestly
even his destruction didn't do anything for me. His last line was kind of funny, but, eh... Sort of like the Ami lookalike in the found footage scene, it seems like fairly obvious emotional manipulation.

Speaking of that, did anyone even buy Ami as a character? Or Ledo's "OMG I LUV HER" realization?

Also where the hell did that neural linking shit come from? Gargantia's BIG SECRET seemed kind of lame too.

Pretty underwhelming conclusion to a series that was already not very solid IMO.

I know what you mean. The setting was great but none of the characters really carried the show or pulled you in. Even when something happend it felt too predictable and never went into much development. Feels like 13 episode investment into nothing.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Thought it was a decent series, not great, but not terrible.

Definite shades of Macross Plus in the

aerial duel but the pilot survived.

might count as a slight spoiler so here's a friendly mod edit! - Xard

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:44 pm

Sayonara Chamba :(

Return to “Anime and Manga”