What do you want to see in Q and Final?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:04 pm

View Original PostLucretius wrote:But the plot so far seems to be headed towards a Nia ending done to the tune of Oedipus Rex, which probably means a single Shinji. Who becomes a hobo.

Which ties into my very real fear that Anno will simply recycle the plot of TTGL with a little bit of EoE mixed in.
Last edited by Sun Stealer on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:11 pm

Asuka was actually killed off in 2.0, and the eyepatch scene comes from a hallucination sequence where Asuka, retroactively dubbed "bro," will tell Shinji to kick reason to the curb.
Last edited by Lucretius on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:17 pm

View Original PostLucretius wrote:Asuka was actually killed off in 3.0, and the eyepatch scene comes from a hallucination sequence where Asuka, retroactively dubbed "bro," will tell Shinji to kick reason to the curb.

But she's not dead lol

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:15 am

View Original PostLucretius wrote:But the plot so far seems to be headed towards a Nia ending done to the tune of Oedipus Rex, which probably means a single Shinji. Who becomes a hobo.
I called that when the movie came out.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:06 am

I just hope that Asuka loses that damn eyepatch. I don't wanna have to call her "Cap'n Asuka Langley Shikinami" like she's Redbeard or something.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:44 am

I wouldn't be surprised if she wears the eye-patch for all of five seconds before it gets accidentally torn off by Shinji, and then Asuka's crazy alien eye tries to merge with him and they finally have indisputable onscreen sex.

In all seriousness, I have a feeling the eye-patch will be short lived. There's going to be something weird with her eye. Maybe she'll be able to see the barriers between people or something. I'm assuming it isn't just because Anno-san has a pirate fetish.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:38 am

The eye-patch is required for the following dramatic moment to work:

Do to various circumstances, Shinji lapses into a state of catatonia/psychosis/emo/constipation, and Asuka decides to use some applied psychology: namely, feeding the back of her pimphand to Shinji's face, as demonstrated here.

I don't even know why, but i'm dying to see something like that happen.

And what's wrong with pirate fetish?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:25 am

I dunno

maybe its just me, but eyepatch =/= pirate
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:50 am

Yeah, honestly the whole "lol Pirate Asuka! omg" thing that's for some reason shown up in the fandom seems kind of dumb. I get it, okay, she has an eyepatch. I don't know what some people find appealing about no longer having a fully functioning anatomy, but that's for them to work out, I suppose.

Can we have Pegleg Toji, too?

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:56 am

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Yeah, honestly the whole "lol Pirate Asuka! omg" thing that's for some reason shown up in the fandom seems kind of dumb. I get it, okay, she has an eyepatch. I don't know what some people find appealing about no longer having a fully functioning anatomy, but that's for them to work out, I suppose.

Can we have Pegleg Toji, too?

I guess it more has to do with that eyepatches look cool to wear

Pegleg Toji, on the other hand, is dumb just on an aesthetic level. Peglegs don't have that "wow" effect eyepatches have...unless you have a prosthetic leg/assault rifle*

*whoever can guess the reference gets a cookie
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:21 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:Peglegs don't have that "wow" effect eyepatches have...unless you have a prosthetic leg/assault rifle*

*whoever can guess the reference gets a cookie

Planet Terror.

[vadervoice]All too easy...[/vadervoice]
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:28 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Yeah, honestly the whole "lol Pirate Asuka! omg" thing that's for some reason shown up in the fandom seems kind of dumb. I get it, okay, she has an eyepatch. I don't know what some people find appealing about no longer having a fully functioning anatomy, but that's for them to work out, I suppose.

Personally, i push the pirate angle purely because i think the aforelinkedto (neologism?) Captain Harlock is a pretty cool guy.

Also, i see something of an homage, or at least a reference on the creators part, too. Having an eye-patch and being impossibly skinny in and of themselves wouldn't be enough, but when you add in the captain rank and the fact that Harlock was revealed to be of German ancestry in the movie Arcadia Of My Youth which is not in continuity with any of the other Harlock works, but whatever, thing start to look deliberate.
Last edited by SaltyJoe on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:30 pm

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Planet Terror.

[vadervoice]All too easy...[/vadervoice]

wrong movie :smirk:

SPOILER: Show
I wasn't even thinking of Planet Terror when I wrote that, but something...older

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:33 pm

Oh...nevermind then. That's the only instance of that I could think of.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:57 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:as demonstrated here.

I don't even know why, but i'm dying to see something like that happen.

Given the general tenor of 2.0, I think this scene would fit too.

If 3.0 is just Asuka Kamina-punching douche!Shinji for 90 minutes, I will squee like a schoolgirl.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:41 pm

It is funny you mention that Lucretius-kun because that's what I was daydreaming about during breakfast this morning. I'm kind of hoping Asuka steals the show. I get that this is supposed to be shonen and all, but I'd really like to see a female protagonist. These days whenever I'm experiencing any sort of Evaverse stuff, I tend to identify most with Misato and Asuka, so I'm always very happy when they get their moments.

MY BEAUTIFUL DREAM: Shinji acting as Asuka's sidekick.

Like, to see Asuka and Shinji working as a team, that would be quite satisfying. The first time around those two were so dysfunctional, but it'd be heartwarming to see them be badass together. Since I'm always harping about gender roles, it'd be nice to see Shinji acting as Asuka's sidekick. I think Shinji does well in a support role.

To be honest... I think Shinji likes supporting others. He doesn't want to be the shonen protagonist. I think both Asuka and Shinji would be happy in such a situation.

And I think eye-patches in general are supposed to say "this person is badass" as opposed to "this person is hunting for sunken Spanish galleons". And Asuka is pretty badass.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:19 pm

it's not the eyepatch, it's the pirate undertones. apparently everybody loves pirates nowadays. they're like vampires, but [s]less sparkly[/s] played by johnny depp, which makes them better. i don't really get it myself. [s]now ninjas, i'd totally go for ninja!Asuka.[/s]

O-san wrote:MY BEAUTIFUL DREAM: Shinji acting as Asuka's sidekick.

oh my god, my brain just flashed me a kick-ass-type mental image where Asuka totally channels hit-girl and Shinji gets dragged around with her, wearing a fugly, green, spandex superhero-wannabe costume, as they plot to take down local crime bosses-- aka SEELE and gendo.

it was awesome. :thumbsup:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:47 pm

View Original Postcarla wrote:oh my god, my brain just flashed me a kick-ass-type mental image where Asuka totally channels hit-girl and Shinji gets dragged around with her, wearing a fugly, green, spandex superhero-wannabe costume, as they plot to take down local crime bosses-- aka SEELE and gendo.

it was awesome. :thumbsup:

FFFFFFUUU-

Like I don't already have enough half-baked ideas for stories rolling about in my head...now that one will be in there, too.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:07 pm

View Original PostBeoX2 wrote:I just hope that Asuka loses that damn eyepatch. I don't wanna have to call her "Cap'n Asuka Langley Shikinami" like she's Redbeard or something.

Even worse news, I hear they've got Hans Zimmer for Q, and he will be recycling his songs just like Shiro Sagisu. Here is Asuka's theme

Also, Aoba should have a parrot.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:29 pm

Even worse news, I hear they've got Hans Zimmer for Q, and he will be recycling his songs just like Shiro Sagisu. Here is Asuka's theme

Also, Aoba should have a parrot.

That was pretty funny, Sun Stealer. :lol:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”