Epsiode 19 v.s Rebuild 2.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:55 pm

skikes wrote:... and the music, oh dear god THE MUSIC :doh:

Yes I agree completely with that. a lot of people say that the music was completely uncalled for but I think it had quite a fitting effect. Much like the movie Akira, this used childs songs with childs voices during the most violent parts of the moie, two opposites giving the Shit Your Pants Run out of the Theatre Effect. As regards to the Zureul battle. There was somethign that really turned my thoughts last time I watched it. Eyes. Shinji's eyes turn red, as Maris eyes turn green. Both prior to their Evas going berserk. I think this might signify a new ability in pilots, being able to bring out a new power that allows piloting skills to skyrocket for a certain amount of time. Sort of like in Gundam Seed & Destiny when Pilots such as Kira, Athrun, and Shinn "break the seed" and go batshit crazy badass.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:53 pm

wonderluster: In the event you appreciate being informed of a recurring spelling error...

It's actually Zeruel.

Duskbyday wrote:am I the only one who likes GNZ?

No, I'm sure Sadamoto is a fan, as well.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:15 am

Holy black on a Popo. Ive been spelling it wrong this whole time...Oh crap..Won't happen again! Thanks Reichu!

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:44 am

SaltyJoe wrote:Whereas, in 2.0 Zer actually lets out a small yelp when 01 pushes him away with her A.T. field.

I take that back. The sound effect there is most likely coming from the ATF. The exact same sound can be heard when Kaworu's lance hits Eva-01, most likely piercing it's ATF.

Kind of a relief, really.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:42 am

For a comparison

in 19, Shogoki demonstrates her power though minimalism. She tears through Zeruel's Vorpal Tape with her bare hands, and regenerates an entire limb in just seconds.
She quickly makes her way over, beats back any resistance met, and proceeds to eat the Angel who, for all intents and purposes, has given up.

in 2.0, Shogoki demonstrates her power through absolution. She wants Zeruel's attack to stop, it stops. She wants a shiny new arm? She gets a shiny new arm. She wants Zeruel to GTFO, she shoots him with frikken laser beams. Shinji wants his Rei back? Well physics and biology can just suck it, cause he's gonna get his Rei back.

19 gave an imnpression of an unstobable force. 2.0 gave the impression of nigh omnipotence. Well, right up until Kaworu lands his Instant Kill

All in all, I honestly prefer 2.0
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

mrkitano
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mrkitano » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:27 pm

I agree with Teague here, basically. Not in preference, though. This is a tough call to me.

As an aside...
The original ep.19 had outstanding animation, even with the budget/time constraints. I even believe that was the episode that blew the rest of the damn budget.
Adding to that, the animation director for that episode is Takeshi Honda, the "master". He did 2, 8, 19 and 25 (here the bits that were actually non-recycled were good at any rate...!). This guy does theatrical-quality stuff on TV.

Now,
What happens in ep.19 I think is totally different than the movie. Even if the events are apparently similar. Shinji loses control and lets himself go in ep.19, which is consistent with the "beast" aspect. The EVA just absorbed him to function as a complete... thing.

In the movie,
SPOILER: Show
Shinji takes control himself, and the EVA looks more like a godly being (like the giant of light ADAM in the original series. Hence the arm made of light, I guess. Instead of cloned/artificial/in vitro/whatever tissue that makes up for the rest of her body, she developed "original" material for the arm). This is why she stands upright and acts more like a human and less like a beast. Or rather, it is Shinji doing all that stuff. It's more like a union that one taking advantage of the other.

To me ep.19 was more potent, but that has a lot to do with how the series flew up to that point. The flow went differently in the movie.

evilhead008
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby evilhead008 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Well, it was victory through motivation by fear (more so than love) in 19, and love (more so than fear) in 2.0. So, the entire thing shifted towards a more "cliche" plot.

2.0's got a blasted cliffhanger ending, that's what's annoying me. Also, 19's ending and.. theme in general wouldn't have fit into the movie well, would it?

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:13 pm

evilhead008 wrote:Well, it was victory through motivation by fear (more so than love) in 19, and love (more so than fear) in 2.0.

Really? I thought in 2.0 he was just straight up PISSED.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:40 pm

wonderluster wrote:
evilhead008 wrote:Well, it was victory through motivation by fear (more so than love) in 19, and love (more so than fear) in 2.0.

Really? I thought in 2.0 he was just straight up PISSED.

Dont know if that was sarcasm or not so I'm unsure on what to say.But saying he was pissed is pretty accurate.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Im being serious, I mean like if you had the girl that your were falling in love with taken away by a 200 foot tall monstrosity and you have control of a giant robot capable of ending all of mankind, hell I would go after his ass and go fuckin Mari on him

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:37 pm

I dont think he fell in love with her but true.If I was in his position and a giant angel with boobs took someone I care away from me,why,I do whatever the hell I had to to rescue he or she.So,I see what you were saying.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:03 am

I figured he saw Ayanami as the one thing left he could save. He all but killed Asuka with his own hands (as he sees it), his father couldn't care less about him either way now he has a dummy plug to replace him, and most everyone else had failed to really connect with him. All he had left was the one fragile girl who smiled for him...or something like that...
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Unashamed troper.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:37 am

Yep.She was the last person he had that was precious to him.Once that was taken from him,he doesnt lose it.But he instead decides to save her.Truly awsome.

Lui
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lui » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:02 pm

I liked this battle. Admittedly the image of Eva 01 crawling along with those eyes in 19, and eating the angel, were pretty awesome, but the essential parts for me have stayed intact. I for one liked the arm-thing, it was better than the badly-animated human arm, especially the laser beam or whatever it was (hard to tell in the cam version).
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 1000 character limit. Images, quotes, and code tags are not allowed in Signatures.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:01 pm

I seem to recall there being a ranged blast attack, and either before or after that there was an AT Hammer...the energy got drawn towards Sho before slamming into GNZ...
Unashamed troper.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:04 pm

Teague wrote:I seem to recall there being a ranged blast attack, and either before or after that there was an AT Hammer...the energy got drawn towards Sho before slamming into GNZ...

I don't think It was a hammer, I believe it was more of a ranged control weapon if I may, When that sort of circular kind of thing (hammer?) appeared, I think Unit 01s arm actually disappeared and once GNZ was out of the way, the arm reappeared. Im just calling this from memory so correct me if Im obliviously wrong.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:41 am

Teague wrote:I seem to recall there being a ranged blast attack, and either before or after that there was an AT Hammer...the energy got drawn towards Sho before slamming into GNZ...

The range blast attack you speak of is called the Cross-Blast.And Unit 01 uses it AFTER slamming Zeruel out of the way with her AT field arm.Or hammer as you call it.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:35 pm

Comparing Rebuild to the original is futile, as the two are completely different aside from the basic plot skeleton.

NGE is a deep character study mixed with a Lovecraftian "cosmic horror story", that just so happens to have giant robots.

Rebuild, however, is essentially the anime equivalent of Transformers 2. It exchanges deep characterization for being approx. 4 hours (so far) of pure unstoppable awesome.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:39 pm

To be fair, I don't think it'd really be possible to fit anywhere near all of NGE's character drama and depth into a series of a couple movies. I think Rebuild has been doing surprisingly well in that regard so far.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:44 pm

Yeah... as far as artistic integrity goes, the series trumps RoE, but as far as watchability (is that a word?) goes RoE totally destroys NGE.

I actually wrote up a huge review of 1.11 for my blog after putting off watching it for a retarded length of time.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”