Shikinami Asuka Langley...?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Rock-Slash
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Rock-Slash » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:43 pm

Xard wrote:I have to ask: has there already been Pirate fanart about Asuka?

Just with the eyepatch or with the complete outfit? there are both but with the eyepatch is very common.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:47 pm

Rock-Slash wrote:
Xard wrote:I have to ask: has there already been Pirate fanart about Asuka?

Just with the eyepatch or with the complete outfit? there are both but with the eyepatch is very common.

outfit :toothy:

any idea where I can find them?

Rock-Slash
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Rock-Slash » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:57 pm

You asked for it you get it :devil:

There are others around, some in THAT BOARD, some in random internet pages.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:31 pm

Soul Fire wrote:
Maximilian, you just made me cry

Yeah that's pretty harsh what you have just laid down on the table there. Thats just rough thinking about. That is a pure evangelion moment.

Am I the only thinking Asuka might actually have been then one in control at that point?

The whole thing is just soul crushing. Can't imagine what they'll say to each other when (if?) they meet in 3.0.

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Soul Fire » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:47 pm

Am I the only thinking Asuka might actually have been then one in control at that point?

Thats the whole point. It looks suspiciously like she was in control and then we hear her scream as well which suggests she was concious most of the time from that point. If that does turn out to be the case and it is starting to look very much like that then that scene goes down as one of the most disturbing things Ive seen since EoE. Brilliant stuff.
Yes I know Im posting a lot at the moment but I really dont have anything better to do at the moment and it takes my mind off the phone bill....

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:03 pm

Maximilian: Wow. Mind=Blown.

Anno, you sneaky devil you.... :shifty:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:29 pm

Soul Fire wrote:then we hear her scream as well

That's Shinji screaming "Yamero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ("Stop! Cease! Desist!"); I hear absolutely no trace of Asuka in there, anywhere. (Creaking metal and grunting Eva, yes.)

Maximilian wrote:Amidst feeling almost as terrible inside as if I had just watched a rape scene, I realized something. Asuka's in there, and Shinji's in there...

It's technically a cracked-out version of Rei that Asuka-Bardi-Kyoko-Whoever is making a plea to. You don't endorse Asuka/Rei... do you? (And Eva-on-Eva rape... I didn't realize other people actually thought about such things.)

(Yes, I know, I'm a terrible person. And yes, I know that we're still supposed to associate Eva-01 with Shinji -- sometimes --, even though he isn't doing crap while all this is happening.)
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Maximilian
Adam

Postby Maximilian » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:56 pm

Reichu wrote:It's technically a cracked-out version of Rei that Asuka-Bardi-Kyoko-Whoever is making a plea to. You don't endorse Asuka/Rei... do you? (And Eva-on-Eva rape... I didn't realize other people actually thought about such things.)

Reichu, I was waiting for you to tear my point apart.

I mean technically it's Rei dummy vs. Bardiel controlled Eva 03, but the fact that this time around it's Asuka in there and the whole "face caress" thing is new also, I thought that maybe it was intentionally put in for that reason.

I don't think it means anything in terms of sequel theory or that Asuka was in control, but I think it might have been an homage.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:58 pm

I don't know about Eva Unit-03 pleading for Unit-01 to stop. It seemed more like a defensive move by the Angel controlling Unit-03. I know that we're supposed to feel scared and disgust at the scene because of how Unit-01 is killing the Angel and the fact that Asuka is inside, but I don't think its meant to invoke pity in the viewer for the Angel or show that Asuka is in control and trying to get Unit-01 to stop.

And Reichu is right, I don't hear Asuka's scream either. That scream came from Shinji.

but the fact that this time around it's Asuka in there and the whole "face caress" thing is new also

But, Unit-03 wasn't caressing Unit-01's face, it looked like is was blocking it's attacks or trying to make it get off.

Maximilian
Adam

Postby Maximilian » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:15 pm

The Goose wrote: I don't think its meant to invoke pity in the viewer for the Angel.

Did it for me.

I know it wasn't a caress, that's just what I was calling it. But like I mentioned, even as an offensive action it's pitiful.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:54 am

Re: the scream: RIGHT before Shinji lets out the "YAMERO!" we hear a scream two or so seconds before. It can't be Shinji if he's gasping then yelling for Eva to stop, so...

01:13:22=the scream.

01:13:24=Shinji's YAMERO!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:59 am

very hard to hear, but i believe i've begun hearing it. maybe someone who saw the movie with clearer sound can shed an opinion

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:19 am

I can hear what SSD's talking about, but it's all a bit of a muddled mess.

Plus Asuka would need to be able to scream about a thousand times louder than Shinji to be audible to anyone at all -- aside from maybe Eva-01. Unless the acoustics inside an entry plug inside an Eva's thoracic cavity however many meters away from her head are really bitchin'. Or maybe I need more Suspension of Disbelief.

...nah.

Maximilian wrote:Reichu, I was waiting for you to tear my point apart.

At least I'm reliable some of the time. :tongue:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:24 am

Xard wrote:has there already been Pirate fanart about Asuka?
Surprise developments always get fan art within hours. So here she is after getting the full Touji as well:

This is not inconsistent with the 3.0 preview showing head and shoulders only...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby LiLi » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:25 am

I checked the wiki transcript but Asuka screaming ain't there...

:EDIT: This be in reference to "we'd need to ask someone who's seen it in theaters".
Last edited by LiLi on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:35 am

LiLi wrote:I checked the wiki transcript but Asuka screaming ain't there...

It's just a fan transcript; handy resource, but doesn't have any kind of authority. The real test will be whether or not the official script lists Asuka as screaming.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby LiLi » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:51 am

Reichu wrote:
LiLi wrote:I checked the wiki transcript but Asuka screaming ain't there...

It's just a fan transcript; handy resource, but doesn't have any kind of authority. The real test will be whether or not the official script lists Asuka as screaming.

I know, I know... What I meant is - dudes probably saw it in a cinema with loud speakers bawling (since I think someone mentioned something like, "we'd need to ask someone who's seen it in theaters".)

Edited post to clarify. *salutes*

:EDIT: I listened to it again, but to me it still sounds like it's Ogata!Shinji screaming, "Waaaah- Yameroooo!"

Mr. Tines wrote:This is not inconsistent with the 3.0 preview showing head and shoulders only...

^THIS
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

RamblinEvaFan
Embryo

New member here with perhaps a new observation?

Postby RamblinEvaFan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi everyone from sunny Georgia!

I'm an old time Eva fan. In fact, this may date me, but I have the original VHS tapes that I bought from Electronics Boutique.... perhaps no one here will even remember that store, but it use to be "the store" to get evangelion and anime stuff back in the dark days of the mid-90s when the word "anime" were likelly to get you a cock-eyed glance at people on the streets asking themselves 1. What is anime 2. Is this guy a total loser? Luckily only the 2nd response is common now :grin: .

Anyways, I noticed something maybe a little too subtle, but maybe its irrelvent but maybe it's not.

When Asuka first meets Shinji in the Original Series, if anyone recalls, she asks herself who the Eva pilot must be... she immediatly looks at Toji and says "oh now," then Misato disabuses her of that idea and says "no it's Shinji," and she looks at him and says "not much to look at."

Now i don't speak Japanese, but i 've seen the 2.0 film, and unless I"m incorrect, in this iteration, Asuka immediatly recognizes Shinji as the Eva pilot.

Could this imply some kind of subtle connection right off-the bat? I also noticed that in the battle with the "clock" angel, whenever the angle would walk on the water (biblical illusion?) the water would create a fractal pattern. Now maybe, it's just me, but I wonder if that's somehow linked to the idea of bifurcating complexity. The idea that changing small things in the initial condition of a system can lead to potentially hugely disparate paths (yet deterministic) in some systems.

In this case, changing slight things in the past of each character, and even the circumstances they meet, changes their interactions totally in practice a la Shinji/Asuka, Asuka/Misato, Misato/Kaji, Rei/Gendo.

Anyways, just some rambling thoughts. I enjoyd the movies... does anyone know when we can expect domestic DVDs to be released? I tried to put it on my favorties in Amazon.com but nothing comes up for "rebuild of evangelion" 1.0 or 2.0.... and I reall ywant to get my hands on them ASAP. Cheers!

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Combs » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:30 pm

Try the Japanese website for Amazon/eBay.

I'm still shittin' brix from that connection. Damn you Anno.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Re: New member here with perhaps a new observation?

Postby NAveryW » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:36 pm

RamblinEvaFan wrote:Now i don't speak Japanese, but i 've seen the 2.0 film, and unless I"m incorrect, in this iteration, Asuka immediatly recognizes Shinji as the Eva pilot.
Watch again. She pretty clearly isn't sure who wh the pilot is.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”