Mari Discussion/Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:12 pm

Speaking of pilot, though it's really hard to see, I don't think Mari's hair clips are of the interface headset variety. Thoughts?

Mugwump: Mari damn well better not steal Asuka's thunder. ;_;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:24 pm

^ Damn right.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:27 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Mugwump: Mari damn well better not steal Asuka's thunder. ;_;

I think the possibility is more than inevitable. In fact, I predict an all-out bitch fight for Shinji's attention with the possibility of violent jello wrestling.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:42 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Speaking of pilot, though it's really hard to see, I don't think Mari's hair clips are of the interface headset variety. Thoughts?

A headband with hair clips does not an interface headset make.

Mari damn well better not steal Asuka's thunder. ;_;

Asuka has SO much "thunder" that any amount of sonic explosions produced by her frequent discharges of lightning which Mari might mysteriously manage to "steal" would be utterly negligible. I mean seriously. A little less "loud and booming" might actually be a good thing for Asuka, too. [/deconstruction of idiomatic phrase]

More to the point, Asuka fantards have to get over themselves. "Oh, whoa is us! They added a new character to a preexisting cast! She's gonna detract from the appearance of the Almighty Asuka-sama! Heaven forbid any of the other characters somehow 'suffer', too! Strike from the mind any possibility that a movie that's clearly going to be different from the original would be written with the altered parameters taken into account!" Fu~~~.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:43 pm

unless Mari takes Asuka's place at the end with the harpies and "I feel sick" and there's no good reason for it in a "Han shot first" kind of way, li'l Asuka-chan should be fine

I am still standing by the "she takes Toji's place" theory, btw
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 pm

Her hair looks like Mana crossed with Hikari, and she dresses like Kaji crossed with a catholic school girl.

mental image... ouch.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:16 am

[03:07] Jared: I read a theory, which I like, that Mari is a FAR.
[03:08] Jared: which would be immensely hardcore.
[03:09] Deadbolt: Hmm...
[03:09] Jared: "Mari-chan, doushite-?" "My purpose on this planet is to determine whether or not the Adams and Lilin can live together without succumbing to beastly self-destruction and thanatotic tendencies. And if not, I shall terminate and rectify the problem, and reset the biosphere."
[03:09] Deadbolt: woah.
[03:14] Jared: And at the end, "Hm. I have learned a lot from you, Ikari Shinji-kun. Although you destroyed, and rejected, the Adams who are your siblings, you reject your fellow Lilin as well. And yet...you still try to reach them. Reconcilation is possible, even though you fear it." "Mari-chan?" "I shall not terminate you. I shall not reset your biosphere. Not today." Mari then releases some quantum magic that destroys and petrifies the Evangelions and all Angelic matter and stuff, then starts ascending with Kaworu and Rei. "They're going too?" "We have much to learn from them. I shall take these children with us; they can be better used elsewhere. We shall return, and see if you have matured as a race by then." "When? When will that be?" "Perhaps...when another Ikari Shinji is born on your planet. As long as the Earth, Moon, and Sun hang in the sky, you can try again. Sayonara, Ikari Shinji-kun."
[03:15] Deadbolt: Woah, and this is all guesswork?
[03:15] Jared: yea, I pulled that straight out of my ass on the spot.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:51 am

Jared's got a wide bottom.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Nuh UH! ;_; It's just deep is all...

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:09 pm

Mari being a FAR doesn't really work; Rei and Kaworu already have dibs on the 'supreme beings who walk among us' role. What's going to happen if Mari turns up as a FAR? They gonna compare notes or something?

Kaworu: Humans are weird!
Mari: Yeah with all their emotional walls that keep people out, despite the fact they need the love and support of others.
Rei: LOL, my bad!

Besides, half the cast wouldn't be human!
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:26 pm

master_lloyd wrote:Besides, half the cast wouldn't be human!

Uh oh, you sure you want to go there?

I'm still curious: Exactly what is the point of speculating wildly over a character who is, frankly, little more than an image with a name attached right now? Is it some kind of game? "Person A proposes baseless speculation. Person B attempts to produce baseless speculation even more wacky and baseless. Continue splitting atoms until mushroom cloud reaches the stratosphere and intellectual terrain is uninhabitable as far as 25km away."

I like to save the basest of the baseless speculation for dumb jokes, out-of-the-blue hypomanic attacks, and times when we're pretty sure we're not going to get any more information about something. I know, I'm a whole lot of no fun.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:56 pm

Reichu wrote:
master_lloyd wrote:Besides, half the cast wouldn't be human!

Uh oh, you sure you want to go there?

Go where?
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:13 pm

AuraTwilight: Fuck. Yes. :mwahaha: Seriously, Mari being a FAR would be just unbelievable amounts of awesome. (I take it that "Jared" was you?)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Seriously, Mari being a FAR would be just more or less what Eva-R did, and fail just as hard.

Patch'd.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:19 pm

master_lloyd wrote:Go where?

Predictable rant about how "human" in NGE doesn't just refer to "Lilin".

^There.

But this is the Rebuild forum and they haven't fully established this stuff in the subcanon yet, so never mind. :bigeyes:

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Seriously, Mari being a FAR would be just unbelievable amounts of awesome.

:psyduck:

Why so intent on Mari? We already have two cast members who could have the souls of FAR individuals without any zany stretches of the imagination. Not quite the same as what you seem to be proposing, but more than close enough. Rei and Kaworu's alien origins is an unexploited angle ripe for exploration, and more than likely it would take considerably less to justify doing so. Just think about it. "Prototypic humanoid species somehow manages to avoid extinction over the course of >4 billion years and for some reason decides to travel billions of light-years to visit the planets they sent special lifeforms embellished with immortality to colonize all by their lonesomes billions of years before. And these prototypic humans are disguised as moemoe teenagers, because who would ever suspect moemoe teenagers...?"

Let's just let Mari do her own thing. It will all be revealed at the proper time.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby universalperson » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:56 pm

I know she's a blank slate, but I find I've been putting personalities on Mari without me being entirely aware of it. Of course, there is Good!Mari and Evil!Mari. At this point, she ranges from"The One True Hero of Evangelion" to "I'm going to kill everyone. Except for Rei and Kaworu. Because they hate life and I want them to suffer".

Yeah, she/I'm messed up.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:36 pm

I got it.

Shinji dies, Mari becomes the new main character and Asuka has a lesbian experience.

Also, EVA ACADEMY.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:53 pm

Can't say I'd hate that.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

zarwin
Embryo

Postby zarwin » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:40 pm

IrkenEvangelion wrote:Can't say I'd hate that.

Agreed.
Under construction

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:15 am

Mari being a FAR doesn't really work; Rei and Kaworu already have dibs on the 'supreme beings who walk among us' role. What's going to happen if Mari turns up as a FAR? They gonna compare notes or something?

"Rebuild is gonna be different lololololol"

For all we know, they might be throwing in a third Seed, so really, the bets are off. Mari being a FAR is as plausible as every other theory, and awesomer.

Besides, half the cast wouldn't be human!

Technically, they'd all be human.

I'm still curious: Exactly what is the point of speculating wildly over a character who is, frankly, little more than an image with a name attached right now? Is it some kind of game? "Person A proposes baseless speculation. Person B attempts to produce baseless speculation even more wacky and baseless. Continue splitting atoms until mushroom cloud reaches the stratosphere and intellectual terrain is uninhabitable as far as 25km away."

I like to save the basest of the baseless speculation for dumb jokes, out-of-the-blue hypomanic attacks, and times when we're pretty sure we're not going to get any more information about something. I know, I'm a whole lot of no fun.

Better it be vented instead of this shit spilling into otherwise intelligent threads. I recommend not bitching about lesser evils. Either contain it or let it go all over, you can't have none.

(I take it that "Jared" was you?)

Yes. Being a semi-professional author and a Japanese pplz, I can pull off the prose pretty well, imo.

Why so intent on Mari?

My idea was reliant on the hypothesis that the theoretical FAR would be someone coming to clean up the mess of two Seeds landing on the same planet, since the mess didn't clean itself up and the whole union of the Fruits thing the FAR were trying to avoid is this close to happening; it wouldn't be a stretch for one of them to step in if they learned about it, assuming the FAR aren't extinct or something.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”