Eva-05 and -06 Designs & Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:36 pm

Electric Sachiel wrote:Take a look at the Tachikomas. They have wheels on on four of their legs and when not needed they retract them.

Tachikomas don't retract the wheels. They occasionally split in three to become little footpads, but they never retract.

I don't know what's what with new transformers, but back in the day the toys typically had any wheels just stay right where they were. It was rather uncommon that they actually got shifted away somewhere, and even then they usually just turned around a single joint under the hood to allow an arm to flip out of that space, as in the various pallet swaps of Prowl.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:12 pm

NemZ wrote:
Electric Sachiel wrote:Take a look at the Tachikomas. They have wheels on on four of their legs and when not needed they retract them.

Tachikomas don't retract the wheels. They occasionally split in three to become little footpads, but they never retract.

Actually they do retract slightly. When walking in the office areas or indoors they have their wheels retracted. When they do need to roll they extend them out of their legs. Its more noticeable in the first season of Stand Alone Complex.

This explanation is void in 2nd Gig since they have the footpads by that point.......

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:10 pm

CATO wrote:What is guarding the giant on the moon?

It's on the Moon, mind.

I still have problems with this weird and impractical design of the EVAcar.

Truly, beyond any rhyme or reason. Next time someone parrots the poppycock that "Rebuild is intentionally designed to make more sense", just point them to Eva-05.

Perhaps "the seal" is a new underground discovery away from NERV base, and they had to send a half-assed EVA to guard it.

I stand by the conviction that it would take far more energy to mutilate an Eva into a four-legged Trolleykoma with harpoon arms than it would to just grow it, perform some unpleasant surgery and cybernetic implantations upon the spine/thoracic cavity/core, and slap some "armor" on.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:37 am

Reichu wrote:I stand by the conviction that it would take far more energy to mutilate an Eva into a four-legged Trolleykoma with harpoon arms than it would to just grow it, perform some unpleasant surgery and cybernetic implantations upon the spine/thoracic cavity/core, and slap some "armor" on.

Not if it's built from a reject body for Unit-00, something the term "provisional" seems to imply, a slapped together unit of whatever was on hand, like the Frankenstein ships of the Dominion war in Star Trek.

No no, I'll say it: NERD!Image
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:43 am

Alaska Slim wrote:Not if it's built from a reject body for Unit-00, something the term "provisional" seems to imply, a slapped together unit of whatever was on hand

Admittedly, my rants are based on certain biologically-grounded preconceptions which may not be the case at all. My mind "likes" the idea that the Evas are "constructed" embryologically, which is the developmental method Adam and her progeny seem to like -- and, well, we know what the Evas are (at least... most of them). Of course, this clashes with the weird images we're provided of disembodied spinal columns and arms and such, which lead some to think, "They must grow a bunch of parts and slap the Evas together". But IMO it makes more sense to surmise we're seeing a combination of CNSes generated for experimental purposes and more complete Evas that were systematically butchered for study after they "failed their exams".

If the above has nothing to do with what anybody had been implying, then my apologies...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ingraman
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ingraman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:01 am

Watching the design of 05, i'm almost convinced that the unit is substantially a mecha built around an EVA core, that is needed to eliminate AT-fields. The different control system (the helmet and the tubes) are possibly connected with the fact that the EVA body is not completely developed.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:03 pm

Alaska Slim wrote:Image
sorry, I CAN'T resist
http://www.evamonkey.com/zugzwang/zugzwang_07.png
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Reichu wrote:Of course, this clashes with the weird images we're provided of disembodied spinal columns and arms and such, which lead some to think, "They must grow a bunch of parts and slap the Evas together". But IMO it makes more sense to surmise we're seeing a combination of CNSes generated for experimental purposes and more complete Evas that were systematically butchered for study after they "failed their exams".

Not mention the Evas themselves lost their limbs several times over the course series, sometimes in ways that made it unlikley they were just "re-attached".

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:
Alaska Slim wrote:Image
sorry, I CAN'T resist
http://www.evamonkey.com/zugzwang/zugzwang_07.png

Ah yes, my reputation is alive and well... sorry. Image
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Destinii Haruya
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Destinii Haruya » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:38 pm

Being an Eva, of course, it might well be able to morph its hands in and out of drill mode. The tissue that Evas are made of can obviously morph (extremely limitedly), so..?

I, myself, have theories that 05 doesn't need its pilot to have any special affinity, thusly they could use anyone as its pilot, not just those born just after Second Impact. This, of course, fails, which explains how freaked-out the pilot looks.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:52 pm

Alaska Slim wrote:Not mention the Evas themselves lost their limbs several times over the course series, sometimes in ways that made it unlikley they were just "re-attached".

We see them reattaching Eva-02's arms and head while chanting a bunch of cellular gobbledygook.

"Can you please stop doing that?" (I must insist.)

Destinii Haruya wrote: Being an Eva, of course, it might well be able to morph its hands in and out of drill mode.

Eva-05 seems to be able to launch the things, even. I dunno, if Eva-05's appendages weren't screaming "mecha!!!!", morphing might be plausible, but...

I, myself, have theories that 05 doesn't need its pilot to have any special affinity, thusly they could use anyone as its pilot

If it were that easy, Eva probably wouldn't bother with the whole "motherless children" (or, alternatively, "ancient aliens masquerading as teenagers" or "batshit insane digitized personalities based on said aliens") angle.

not just those born just after Second Impact.

You sure that's not just coincidence...?

This, of course, fails, which explains how freaked-out the pilot looks.

"Freaked out", or just DYNAMIC SHOT? Exaggerated turning and shouting in a static cockpit where the pilot really doesn't move that much are tried and true methods of adding visual pep, after all.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Destinii Haruya
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Destinii Haruya » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:35 am

Reichu wrote:
not just those born just after Second Impact.

You sure that's not just coincidence...?

Ritsuko hints several times to it being some trace in kids born just after 2I, although she never explicitly states it. There's significant evidence to support this- how come only Shinji's class at the school were set up as pilot candidates? It seems the closer to 2I you were born, the better synch ratio you'd have- wild guess, that one. Anyone got the Eva characters' birthdays to check?

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:42 am

Destinii Haruya wrote:How come only Shinji's class at the school were set up as pilot candidates? It seems the closer to 2I you were born, the better synch ratio you'd have- wild guess, that one. Anyone got the Eva characters' birthdays to check?

Stat ratio depends on a person's subconscious connection to the Eva's core. I doubt it would have to do with when you were born.

Couldn't all the possible candidates just be placed in the same home room? Easy filin'.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:17 am

I've always found it strange that all the candidates were placed in the same classroom together, I mean all it would take is one angel to appear and laser-cross-explosion that school and BOOM no more eva pilots.

Eggs in one basket much?

Anyway I'm beginning to think the whole Eva-05 design actually makes sense. Think about it - wheels are faster than legs, more weapons (inbuilt for ease of use), plus extra long lance arms to pierce straight through the AT field and into the core. No fuss no muss.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:28 am

Destinii Haruya wrote:Ritsuko hints several times to it being some trace in kids born just after 2I, although she never explicitly states it. There's significant evidence to support this- how come only Shinji's class at the school were set up as pilot candidates? It seems the closer to 2I you were born, the better synch ratio you'd have- wild guess, that one. Anyone got the Eva characters' birthdays to check?

This is the only place where Ritsuko refers to it in the show:
Episode 4 wrote:Misato (OFF):
He's only fourteen years old.
It seems so cruel, making him bear the burden of mankind's destiny.

RITSUKO (OFF):
But we have no choice but to entrust the piloting
of the Evas to fourteen year olds.

No choice -> entrusting the evas to the pilots, not that they have to be 14 years old. This is where the "coincidence" part comes in.

All the pilots have birthdates after 2I with the exception of Kaworu, who was born on 2I. Seeing as the synch rates change throughout the show (the ranking), I doubt it has to do with when they're born.

I don't think there's a thread discussing this (maybe bits in the ANF archive), but if you want to continue you should probably start one in the Discussion forum.

jenova7
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby jenova7 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:20 am

perhaps unit-05 could act as a guard within the main shaft of terminal dogma

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:11 am

Having an Eva to guard those shafts and tunnels isn't a bad idea, but is it worth making an Eva so specialized that it can only operate within that area? Unless those harpoons are really powerful close-quarters weapons (And so special that they can't be used by a normal Eva), I'd rather have a more versatile Evangelion.

(Hmm...what if Zer gets poked in the eyes by those harpoons?)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:16 am

In the poster, Eva-05's listing comes directly after "Bethania Base", so odds are Eva-05 is going to be there and not at Nerv HQ.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:06 pm

I guess I'll post this here, too.

SPINZAKU KICK!!!! (I'm probably doing that wrong.) Crappy animation is crappy, but all we have at the moment.

So this doesn't change Eva-05's status as a quadruple-amputee, but at least we can say with some confidence now that she at least has things that function as arms. Even if they look like... yeah. I'm still not completely certain as to how the arms attach (some frames are a bit confusing). I guess the big lance-things are "add-ons"?

I don't see any obvious sign of wheels here. The leg profile actually looks a bit different than what we can ascertain from this:

...namely in terms of the lower leg. Are the "barrels" around the lower legs a formation taken by the wheel bases when Eva-05 is "off the track"? They seem a bit cumbersome (though they look like they would hurt if you got hit by them).

I also wonder what those objects with the red stripes are.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:01 pm

Reichu wrote:I guess I'll post this here, too.

SPINZAKU KICK!!!! (I'm probably doing that wrong.) Crappy animation is crappy, but all we have at the moment.

I don't see any obvious sign of wheels here. The leg profile actually looks a bit different than what we can ascertain from this

Really? On closer inspection rather than passing it off as something being thrown (ie: spear or drill from Eva Unit 05), i think the moving object that produces that blur motion is actually Eva Unit 05's wheels. Given that the object is round and passes by the screen TWICE, i think it might mean that Eva Unit 05 can swivel its legs base

360 degrees.

If you look closely the moving objects in that GIF do appear to be not too far from wheels or rollers from your typical office chair.

I know it doesn't help that the photos of the figure don't show this and were stuck with a lousy GIF and footage from the trailer, but I honestly think the wheel thing is what you see causing that blurring motion. ^_^

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:37 pm

Electric Sachiel wrote:Really? On closer inspection rather than passing it off as something being thrown (ie: spear or drill from Eva Unit 05) (snip)

Just FYI, you're not actually stating anything that conflicts with what's in my post... Not that I'm aware anyway...... (I kind of get this feeling that your reply was based entirely on the animated GIF.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”