Rebuild 1:0 "You are (not) alone" Reviews/Spoilers

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:04 pm

DatDude wrote:Yea but anno's involvement makes this the second coming for a lot of otako

But, do the otaku really like Anno all that much? I thought Anno didn't like the otaku at all. I'm pretty sure the otaku like 'Evangelion' rather than 'Hideaki Anno's Evangelion' if you get my drift.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Shin-seiki » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:13 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:
DatDude wrote:Yea but anno's involvement makes this the second coming for a lot of otako

But, do the otaku really like Anno all that much? I thought Anno didn't like the otaku at all. I'm pretty sure the otaku like 'Evangelion' rather than 'Hideaki Anno's Evangelion' if you get my drift.
I don't think it's a matter of whether they like him personally; it's more the fact that he's the prime evil genius behind NGE, so that makes it more "authentic" for lack of a better word. I'm not sure I'd even give a rat's ass about Rebuild, if it was being done without Anno's direct involvement

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:52 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:
CitizenGeek wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of whether they like him personally; it's more the fact that he's the prime evil genius behind NGE, so that makes it more "authentic" for lack of a better word. I'm not sure I'd even give a rat's ass about Rebuild, if it was being done without Anno's direct involvement

When you see the creator's name attached to the sequel, it gives reassurance. You feel that their presence will ensure that it stays true to the original and that nothing will be tampered with.

Star Wars fans learned that this is not always true. As for Anno and Rebuild, it's a double-edged sword, so to speak. He's likely to do something great with the project, but he's equally likely to give the otaku a "WTF" ending which only fuels thousands more message board threads, speculations, and horrible fanfiction as a "how do you like me now" gesture. One of the things I've always liked about Anno was that he doesn't kiss his fans' asses every moment of his life. He tells you when you've gone too far, which is most of the time. I suppose it's an asshole (as in a person as opposed to the literal meaning) take on the "birds of a feather" expression.

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby wildarmsheero » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:10 pm

Yes, that is the best thing about Anno. He's not like Mitsuo Fukuda, who completely sucked fancock when directing Gundam Seed Destiny.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:28 pm

Newtype Space Whales..... :|

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:53 pm

Apathetic Piggy wrote:One of the things I've always liked about Anno was that he doesn't kiss his fans' asses every moment of his life. He tells you when you've gone too far, which is most of the time. I suppose it's an asshole (as in a person as opposed to the literal meaning) take on the "birds of a feather" expression.

Out of curiosity, what are you basing this on? He made the TV series, then 2 movies, then the NPC. Then was MIA from the anime scene doing live action films until Rebuild, which was (AFAIK) partially spurred by a rewatch of the original series which then resulted in him thinking that the show was pretty cool. Or is it the general misconception that he created a story with a hard to follow narrative because he's an asshole?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:10 pm

Ornette wrote:Or is it the general misconception that he created a story with a hard to follow narrative because he's an asshole?

It's possible that a lot of American fans came away with this impression after the "Too Bad." incident. The fact that traditional western narratives tend to wrap up everything in an easily digestible fashion did help things either.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby wildarmsheero » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:49 pm

Ornette wrote: Then was MIA from the anime scene doing live action films until Rebuild,

Not quite-- he supervised the production of Re: Cutie Honey and did some storyboarding in Diebuster, among other things. I was surprised to find out that he storyboard the Mahoromatic opening! He's been keeping active in the animation scene in small ways.

Edit: Looking at these credits is quite interesting. Who knew he directed Anime Tenchou?. The mind boggles...
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:57 pm

You also forgot KareKano, Sugar Sugar Rune, Petite Princess Yucie, etc. etc.
He did direction work on those.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:14 am

I know he did minor work with GAINAX during this time (he couldn't of have made a living making those 4 or so movies), what I meant was specifically anything he's done as a "creator" sort of role, particularly in the context of being in a position to be an asshole.

(And yes, I was surprised to see his name pop up in the OP for Mahoromatic also)

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:26 am

What's surprising about Anno's involvement with storyboarding the Mahoromatic OP? Yeah, I'd be surprised if he were involved with the story, but consider this: not only does the OP start out on a train (Anno looooves the trains), but it shows Mahoro flying through the sky at one point in a very Nigouki-esque fashion.

What I'm more surprised in finding out is that he was involved with the final episode of Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, which, to me, seems like the anti-Eva in terms of its message. I asked Hiroyuki Yamaga about that when I was able to talk to him at Fanime Con, and he laughed; apparently, he had never thought of it that way.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:42 pm

Ornette wrote:
Apathetic Piggy wrote:One of the things I've always liked about Anno was that he doesn't kiss his fans' asses every moment of his life. He tells you when you've gone too far, which is most of the time. I suppose it's an asshole (as in a person as opposed to the literal meaning) take on the "birds of a feather" expression.

Out of curiosity, what are you basing this on? He made the TV series, then 2 movies, then the NPC. Then was MIA from the anime scene doing live action films until Rebuild, which was (AFAIK) partially spurred by a rewatch of the original series which then resulted in him thinking that the show was pretty cool. Or is it the general misconception that he created a story with a hard to follow narrative because he's an asshole?

I'm taking the asshole bit generally out of the idea that I'm sure he leads some fans astray with bogus information just to screw with them. I think it's a bit obvious that, as someone put it, he doesn't suck "fancock." I don't think he made it hard to follow simply to be a dick, there was definitely the wish to create something interesting and cool at the least. All I'm saying is that he probably didn't think it would become what it has, and is annoyed that not only will people not let it go but also that he's been pretty much bombarded by questions from rabid otaku. It's not uncommon for some to get frustrated with overbearing fandom. Last I checked, a good deal of the main cast from the original Star Wars cast don't particularly like to be confronted too strongly about those films.

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:11 pm

What's surprising about Anno's involvement with storyboarding the Mahoromatic OP?

Your right. Just had a look, it seems very Anno-esque.

Even had a bit of a "Congratulations" flashback.
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:13 am

I love Anno's work and feel Eva isn't Eva without him.

All the non-Anno related stuff just feels empty. The names and faces are there. Sometimes even the gobbly good talk of A.T. Fields and all but they just feel shallow Even Re-Take which kinda fucks over Rei for Asuka....I mean she kills herself and then Toji kicks the shit out of her. Its obvious who they're fans of.

Yeah. If R'Eva was just GAINAX or some other guy doing Evangelion again I don't think I'd be as excited. But with Anno behind it I know something special is bound to happen. Maybe I'm a bit masocistic but I love the FUCK YOUS at the end of both the TV Series and EOE and I'm kinda hoping for more. But if Anno just delivers a good story with a touch of his own sensibilites (the trailers are more still shots of random images than animation mostly...PURE ANNO!) then I'll be happy.

Kinda why I'm not interested in Live Action Eva. From script stage to marketing it will not be in any way an Anno piece of work.

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:26 am

Not to mention it would have the depth of:

unit 01 has pole on top of his head, LOL PHALLIC.
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:51 am

I concur, if Anno was not directly attached to Rebuild, I would not be very excited. In fact, I think I would dislike the idea in general. Anno was what made Eva stand out. It was very similar to when I heard Hellraiser was being remade, I didn't want them to ruin it. However, when I heard Clive Barker was writing the script and overseeing everything, I knew it would turn out well.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:32 am

Suppose if it were, say his two opponents from The Con Where Anime Died? I'd definitely see an Oshii NGE film.

All kidding aside, yeah, if it weren't Anno, or at least some other "acclaimed" director, I'd be skeptical of the whole thing too.

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Victorthebattousai » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:10 pm

I understand the gore, actually, it's like Saving Private Ryan. It's gory to show just how horrible it is. I would prefer other means, but I understand the reasoning. Now, the sexuality isn't needed, period. Especially when we look at the Shinji hospital scene. I still think Sadamoto's version of that was sooooo much better. I guess I will just have to see Rebuild when it comes out here. Til then, I might try and get a hold of the Eva DVD set. And re-read the manga. I still love the manga.
I hate not having my Siggy.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:36 pm

Victorthebattousai wrote:Now, the sexuality isn't needed, period. Especially when we look at the Shinji hospital scene.

Exploring the violent side of human nature is fine, but acknowledging that a sexual side exists isn't?

Hypocrite.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:48 pm

Whether people want to admit it or not sex is a big part of life. And in Evangelion sexuality has a large role in the development of the characters and how they relate to each other. Plus it is also used to show the weakness of some of the characters. To get rid of the sexuality in Evangelion would be a discredit to character development.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”