Rebuild's dub

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:16 am

chee wrote:Patrick Stewart as Fuyutsuki would be perfect.

Ugh, no. Just no. I don't deny that he's a capable voice actor, but I really don't think his voice suits Fuyutsuki at all.

evapilot01_ikari wrote:plus last month here in corpus christi held an anime con called RealmsCon and i did manage to talk to Tiffany Grant and Greg Ayers would be happy to revise their roles for the new movies.

Great news! Greg Ayres was fantastic as Kaworu. I don't think he sounded "whiny" or anything like that. He sounded gentle and intelligent (which is how Kaworu should sound, IMO).
Last edited by CitizenGeek on Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby thedarkorb » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:11 am

Yea Patrick Stewart....no.

Was Greg the one who played Kaji and Kaworu in the original 24 episodes? I liked him the best.

n00dle
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby n00dle » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:31 pm

I love how I seem to be alone in not really having a problem with the ADV dub...ok look, it's not the best dub ever, and as a whole it's clearly not worthy of being the English version of one of, if not THE, greatest Anime series ever. However, some points of it are really strong imo, such as Gendo and Misato's VA. The dub version of Misato's speech to Shinji in EoE always gives me shivers.

And having watched the whole series, and both movies, many times, with both language tracks; I don't really see any problems with the translation either. Ok, maybe 1 or 2 examples, but even those are fairly minor.

In my opinion, based on everything I've seen on these forums, and others, and not just for Eva but for many anime, I feel that the real reason so many people hate the dub isn't so much based on it's strengths or faults, but more on the simple fact that it's a dub. Look, not everyone knows Japanese ok? I'm beginning to try and learn it, but it's pretty damn brutal. Damn writing system(s) mock every futile attempt I make at understanding them...and lots of people don't even want to try.

Bottom line is that the ADV dub isn't all that bad. It's not the best, but it's far from the worst. Does it do the show justice? Overall, no. But it's not the big bad blight on the franchise people seem to think it is. Those of you who do know Japanese, good for you, it's tough, you certainly have earned a high-degree of snobbishness. But could you please at least try to limit the "holier than thou i knowz teh Japanese i could do it better than Amanda Lee lolwtfbbq" attitude? Please?
Gone away

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:06 pm

thedarkorb wrote:Was Greg the one who played Kaji and Kaworu in the original 24 episodes? I liked him the best.

He played Kaworu in the director's cut Episode 24, and nowhere else. Aaron Krohn played Kaji in the series and Kaworu in End of Evangelion.

In the original Episode 24 they got a guy listed as Kyle Sturdivant (A pseudonym, almost certainly) and he SUCKED.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:28 pm

Kyle Sturdivant (A pseudonym, almost certainly) and he SUCKED.

...It wasn't Greenfield, was it? Afterall, he did do the dub voice of Hygua.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Stealth Yoshi
Embryo

Postby Stealth Yoshi » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:56 am

To everyone's shock, 4Kids grabs the rights to Rebuild and gives it the "Pocket Monsters" treatment:

Title is now Evangelimon

The soundtrack is somehow re-hauled by Bruce Faulconer a la DBZ

Rebuild itself being cut and chopped to a G rating to such an extent that it is now a 90-minute presentation in its entirety.

Whole show targeted at elementary school-agers complete with lunchboxes, trading card game, spinoff animated series with 35 seasons, AND handheld Nintendo-licensed RPG game series! Evangelimon Blue Zerogoki edition and Red Nigoki edition! Gotta Sync with 'em all!!

Character names are Americanized to hell and back

Shinji = Shawn
Rei = Rachel
Asuka = Ashley
Gendo = Bob
Fuyutsuki = Dan
Toji = Timmy
Kaji = Kenny
Misato = MISTY

Intermission:
*kids' voices: WHO'S THAT EVANGELIMON?!
ITS SHOGOKI!!
*ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOARRRRRRRRR*

[/WTF]

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:59 am

^ ROFLMAO!
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:40 am

Stealth Yoshi wrote:[/WTF]

Quoted for truth. You sir, win at life.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:53 am

*Shudders and twitches on the floor*

Horrible...flashbacks to the old days of anime... er, wait.

Anyway, that was amusing but many levels of wrong.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

destroyer
Embryo

Postby destroyer » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:42 am

i personally hope they find some better voice actors or reel the actors of the pasts' perfomances in. at the very least get rid of spike. his voice really didn't fit when they did the 2nd go around.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:57 am

n00dle wrote:Does it do the show justice? Overall, no.

Overall, yes.

Stealth Yoshi wrote:Misato = MISTY

LMAO!

UrsusArctos wrote:In the original Episode 24 they got a guy listed as Kyle Sturdivant (A pseudonym, almost certainly) and he SUCKED.

So very true. He was really dismal. I'm glad I watched the DC version of ep 24 before I watched the original.

Can even the dub-haters imagine Shinji not being played by Spike Spencer?

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:20 am

CitizenGeek wrote:
Can even the dub-haters imagine Shinji not being played by Spike Spencer?

Let me think about it.... Hell yeah! :P

I'm not that much of a dub-hater --let's say i'm a Japanese audio lover!-- but i'd like to see some changes. As long as they are decent.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:20 pm

Stealth Yoshi wrote:Intermission:
*kids' voices: WHO'S THAT EVANGELIMON?!
ITS SHOGOKI!!
*ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOARRRRRRRRR*

Those kids had better not be the variety with supersolenoid engines, or else they're...

Images courtesy of eva commentary.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Incisivis » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:34 pm

Just for information, "Kyle Sturdivant" wasn't a pseudonym. He's done some other anime work, but not much, and seems to have dropped off the face of the earth a long time ago.

And I kind of liked his Kaworu voice; call it nostalgia. :)

Any whoway, I still really enjoy the NGE dub. It must have been doing something right to draw me into the series as strongly as it did. I've always known about its flaws, but there's nothing I can do about them.

I was even weirdly glad that Plantium didn't seem to have a new dub, but have the old audio placed over the remastered video
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:02 am

I'd call Sturdivant's voice nostalgia too...some of those awful things I like to forget, but, yeah, he was memorable in a horribly cheesy, corny sorta way.

He sounds awfully like the guy who does the purple-haired male twin (one of two villains) in Pokemon. Don't remember the name though.

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Incisivis » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:39 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:I'd call Sturdivant's voice nostalgia too...some of those awful things I like to forget, but, yeah, he was memorable in a horribly cheesy, corny sorta way.

Well, I said nostalgic, not ironic, there. :) I didn't have a problem with that voice, at all. I kind of liked it, I loved the character right from the start, but nothing I can't do without.

He sounds awfully like the guy who does the purple-haired male twin (one of two villains) in Pokemon. Don't remember the name though.

Would not be. The character you're thinking of (James/Kojiro) was voiced in English by Eric Stuart.

</voice>

Don't really hear the similarities myself...

Agh! :shock: I keep breaking my resolution to go all Fight Club with the NGE dub. Let's just agree that we all love Akira Ishida and move on.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:45 pm

Lately I've been giving a lot of thought about Matt Greenfield's recent comments concerning the Evangelion dub (read here), and I've come up with an idea. Some time in the near future (perhaps to coincide with Rebuild's DVD release or perhaps even as a high-def release) ADV should go back and redub the original series.

Most fans despise the dub, and as a big time dub fan myself, even I agree that it is a steaming pile of crap. However, keep in mind it was created several years ago, when dubs were generally of poor quality. Now, dubs can be quite good. I think it would be in ADV's best interests to return to it. I mean, how can they tout such a lazy, high school drama class level dub for one of the most influential anime of all time? (That was for you, Jimbo.)

Here's what I would propose to Mr. Greenfield: a complete overhaul, with an entirely brand new cast. Unfortunately, that would never happen, because Mr. Greenfield would get in trouble with the missus. However, they would probably go with a second idea. Keep the original Spike, Misato, and Asuka (they seem to be the only ones the dub fans care about) and then recast everybody else. It could work. No, really, it could!

Considering how long ago the dub was produced, those actors have continued to work, and have only gained more experience and (hopefully) improved in their craft. If they returned to the series, knowing what to expect, and with a great deal more acting experience, they could do a pretty decent job. And if they hired real actors instead of their buddies to fill out the rest of the cast, the overall acting could really be improved.

This course of action is the only possible road ADV could take if they ever want the English language version of Evangelion to be taken seriously. Mr. Greenfield, feel free to use my idea (my licensing fees aren't too expensive), and apply it to the original series but also to Rebuild if you get the license. You could create a professional sounding dub, attract more fans to the franchise, and then these outlandish claims that the dub is superior* might actually come true.

*It is unknown if Matt Greenfield really said that............but he could have.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Postby EvaCub » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:57 pm

BrikHaus wrote: You could create a professional sounding dub, attract more fans to the franchise, and then these outlandish claims that the dub is superior* might actually come true.

I would be up for ADV getting amazing voice actors and redudbing
but what Im not up for is the 5000 re-re-re-re-re-re-releases that will spin of it they do redud
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:08 am

BrikHaus wrote:This course of action is the only possible road ADV could take if they ever want the English language version of Evangelion to be taken seriously.

What are you talking about? Unless you are saying that most anime fans are on the internet (which they aren't) then you are totally wrong in saying that most fans despise the dub. Most internet anime fans despise the dub, yes, but most internet fans despise any kind of dub, so singling out Evangelion is just absurd. The fact that subbed only anime sells dismally most of the time is proof enough that the majority of anime fans in the US prefer dubs and it's safe to assume they liked Eva's dub, because they continue to buy all the re-releases.

I watched Eva originally in English, and I took it seriously. My friend that borrowed the series from me was almost in tears when she watched EoE dubbed - I'm pretty sure she took it seriously, too. In fact, I took Eva so seriously that it's by far and away my favorite anime ever.

I like the idea of a re-dubbing, but the original actors should be kept without question.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:30 am

CitizenGeek wrote:but most internet fans despise any kind of dub, so singling out Evangelion is just absurd.

Dubs do have a nasty habit of taking things out of the originally intended context. This is generally due to the director wanting to put their own spin on a series. Other reasons include shitty translations and actors. The Eva dub has at various points all of the above in it. Dubs can be done right, it's just really rare that they are.

BrikHaus wrote:Here's what I would propose to Mr. Greenfield: a complete overhaul, with an entirely brand new cast.

WIN!

Unfortunately, that would never happen, because Mr. Greenfield would get in trouble with the missus.

BOOOOOOOO!

Keep the original Spike, Misato, and Asuka (they seem to be the only ones the dub fans care about) and then recast everybody else.

Dear lord, please no more Tiffany!
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”