Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
2Lacissal2
Embryo

Re: Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

•      
  •      

Postby 2Lacissal2 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:18 am

Amazon UK and HMV (which somehow still exists...) also have 3.0 + 1.0 available to pre-order, in Blu Ray and DVD, as well as a Steel Book blu ray version. The HMV site shows them with plain white covers with the title in the Rebuild font (like the 3.0 release with blue background) while the steel book has the 5 pilots on the beach poster with the 'Bye Bye all of Evangelion tag'. No 4K collector's edition yet.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:47 pm

FYI:

Some Alamo Drafthouses locations are screening EVANGELION: 3.0 + 1.01 - THRICE UPON A TIME in late September. I know the theaters in New York City and Washington DC are. I don't know if the Alamo theaters in other cities are but something good to keep an eye out for.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:07 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I know the theaters in New York City and Washington DC are. I don't know if the Alamo theaters in other cities are but something good to keep an eye out for.

I'm in Texas and the ones near me are, so they're probably all participating.
Après moi le déluge!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:56 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread, but quick question, there was no original soundtrack release, right?
Each movie had two soundtracks, one with the entire musical pieces and another where the music is usually shortened to match the score of the movie exactly.
That second one has not released, right? :uhh:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:47 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread, but quick question, there was no original soundtrack release, right?
Each movie had two soundtracks, one with the entire musical pieces and another where the music is usually shortened to match the score of the movie exactly.
That second one has not released, right? :uhh:

Browsing through discogs it would appear not, or at least not yet.

There have been two for every film, but each time they released different. 1.0 had each version released independently as its own package. 2.0 had a bundle of both versions in one package. 3.0, one of the versions was included with the Blu-ray. So if Thrice does end up getting its second version, who knows how it'll be released. Maybe with a box set that collects all the films? Or all the soundtracks, similar to the S2 Works? Maybe with one of the pending production books?
Après moi le déluge!

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:24 am

The original soundtrack for 3.0+1.0 as it appears in the movie was a online-shop exclusive for the Blu-ray release on Kinkurido.

t. Has both the bonus OST & the standalone soundtrack.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:39 am

Pwhodges has stated in the Discord that he got the 2CD soundtrack as a bonus gift for ordering the Japanese version of Shin. This was only offered at Kinkurido stores though.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:46 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:The original soundtrack for 3.0+1.0 as it appears in the movie was a online-shop exclusive for the Blu-ray release on Kinkurido.

Oh wow, shows what I know.

It indeed ended up getting the strangest release yet. :emogendo:
Après moi le déluge!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:26 pm

Thanks everyone!

heavyR
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby heavyR » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:36 pm

Hi all, so with the US Blu-Ray/4K sets, is the main difference the art cards and booklet?

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:52 pm

I posted on the main page an article on the upcoming release.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

DTGee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DTGee » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:11 am

Okay, I may be looking too much into this, but I noticed something weird in the description on GKids' pre-order page.
Featuring both the original Japanese language version and an English dub

That's a weird way to word it if there's only one English dub. Wouldn't it make more sense to phrase it like, "featuring both the Japanese and English language versions"? Could we be getting a new dub?

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:29 am

DTGee wrote:Could we be getting a new dub?

God I hope not!

I doubt it personally. From how they worded things on the NGE Blu-Ray release. (Official = VSI, Classic = ADV) Then whatever dub Khara themselves had a part in seems to be their preferred dub, and deemed the Official one by them. (Despite the fact that all dubs are official but don't even get me started on that)

At most there might be some fixes, like removing Fuyutsuki's duplicated line etc. But I doubt it'd be an entirely new dub.

I would assume a (hopefully) eventual 1.11-3.33 re-release would follow similar lines to the NGE release. Official version is Amazon's dub and subs, while the Classic version is Funimation's dub and subs. We'll see what happens though. Watch them split it onto separate discs again despite it being completely unnecessary.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:45 am

Here in Italy the Prime Video version has a dub and the theatrical/home video version has a completely different dub.

It could be less expensive to make a new dub than license the Amazon dub.

DTGee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DTGee » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:07 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Here in Italy the Prime Video version has a dub and the theatrical/home video version has a completely different dub.

It could be less expensive to make a new dub than license the Amazon dub.

I have been wondering for a while if there's some weird rights issue with the Amazon dub. Back when GKids release 3.0+1.0 in theaters last year it was sub-only, which is odd for them since they always release a dub version in theaters as well if one's available. Although, I don't think any of the upcoming screenings for their theatrical re-release are dubbed either, so make of that what you will.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:36 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:It could be less expensive to make a new dub than license the Amazon dub.

Dubs made for Netflix as well are pretty expensive yet the English Blu-Ray releases of NGE had that dub on there. Although, I believe the English Blu-Ray is the only release to have their Netflix dub be the standard. German and Italian ones had their original dubs as the default.

DTGee wrote:Back when GKids release 3.0+1.0 in theaters last year it was sub-only, which is odd for them since they always release a dub version in theaters as well if one's available.

I know when Madman did their 3+1 theatrical release last year they had some dub showings. None near me but I have heard of people who watched it theatrically with the dub.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:08 pm

View Original PostCoolJosh2002 wrote:
View Original PostDTGee wrote:COfficial version is Amazon's dub and subs, while the Classic version is Funimation's dub and subs.

Crazy to think the NTE's release took so long that it gave time for two dub versions to appear, and for them to be so apart one from another that there's a "classic" one already -o-;

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:19 pm

So, I’m comparing the Japanese and GKIDS HD Blu-ray releases, and it looks like the GKIDS release has some really bad color banding issues.

Japanese Blu-ray release

SPOILER: Show

GKIDS Blu-ray release

SPOILER: Show

As far as I know, they both have 8-bit colors. I’m not sure of any other technical specs or anything, but this looks really subpar for HD anime releases.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:32 pm

Yikes, that's unfortunate. Now I'm going to have to do some research on my Ghibli collection... not to mention the NGE release! :bigeyes:

Red is a particularly troublesome color that has been at the center of many technical headaches, and Shin is a very, very red film.

EDIT: I was mostly focused on the backdrop; Gendo's suit looks even worse. Wow.
Après moi le déluge!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:04 pm

I haven’t noticed color banding issues like this on any of the other GKIDS BD releases, so I think they’re okay. This particular video quality looks like the digital download version of the movie you’d buy from iTunes or Google Play.

EDIT: I’ve noticed that anytime GKIDS has an Eva release that it’s on a separate store page and domain name from the rest of their store. I’m not sure what that has to do with anything, but there it is.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”