So like, what does Thrice Upon a Time actually mean?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Archer
Matarael
Matarael

So like, what does Thrice Upon a Time actually mean?

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:51 pm

Watching the movie never particularly elucidated the title for me. If you put a gun to my head, I’d say it’s referring to the (IRL) time periods of NGE, the Rebuilds, and the (IRL) world after the “main story” of Evangelion has finally ended (because I’m not kidding myself into believing that fluff spin-offs aren’t coming in the future, and I am fucking ready for it) but I don’t know if I’m fully satisfied with that explanation.

RussianRiz
Adam

Re: So like, what does Thrice Upon a Time actually mean?

•      
  •      

Postby RussianRiz » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:11 pm

It's the third ending in the franchise. EoTV, EoE and Shin Eva. I don't think Anno and staff are counting the manga.

T. K. Simon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby T. K. Simon » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:17 pm

View Original PostRussianRiz wrote:It's the third ending in the franchise. EoTV, EoE and Shin Eva. I don't think Anno and staff are counting the manga.

Yes

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:22 pm

It's also a quote - the title of a science fiction book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrice_Upon_a_Time

View Original PostRussianRiz wrote:It's the third ending in the franchise. EoTV, EoE and Shin Eva. I don't think Anno and staff are counting the manga.

Or are counting the NGE endings as one and including the manga...
Last edited by pwhodges on Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:22 pm

Lol, that almost seems a bit too easy to be satisfying. But I also find it difficult to argue with. This is undoubtedly the third “end of Evangelion”.

Also, I know the origin of the phrase, but I’m asking about how it specifically relates to the movie.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:43 pm

I initially thought that the first two endings would be EoE and the manga, respectively, considering EoE is arguably a retelling of the TV ending.

However, Anno explicitly states in this interview that the TV ending and EoE are, in his mind, the first two endings: https://youtu.be/r_ksOBT7wYg?t=323

On a meta level, the manga couldn't count because it wasn't Anno's ending.
i want rebuild

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:44 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Or are counting the NGE endings as one and including the manga...

It's extremely difficult that Anno is considering the manga, since he isn't involved in the manga.

This is Anno's apparent farewell, so it makes sense for him to focus on his work.

Diego
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Diego » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:27 pm

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:I initially thought that the first two endings would be EoE and the manga, respectively, considering EoE is arguably a retelling of the TV ending.

However, Anno explicitly states in this interview that the TV ending and EoE are, in his mind, the first two endings: https://youtu.be/r_ksOBT7wYg?t=323

On a meta level, the manga couldn't count because it wasn't Anno's ending.

The interview pretty much confirms Russian's theory.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:45 am

this
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: So like, what does 3.0+1.0 actually mean?

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:12 am

So, to add on to this, what the hell does “3.0+1.0” actually mean?

Ah Q
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ah Q » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:39 am

I agree with this.

Just throwing this out there: if this interpretation is correct, does it imply that EoTV and EoE are entirely different endings, rather than different tellings of the same ending?

Lacissal
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lacissal » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:44 am

Anno ramming the Wunder like Misato right into Concurrency Theory there

RussianRiz
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RussianRiz » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:52 am

View Original PostAh Q wrote: Just throwing this out there: if this interpretation is correct, does it imply that EoTV and EoE are entirely different endings, rather than different tellings of the same ending?

I don't think we need to go that far.

The fact is that EoE is the second time that Anno has completed his work, right after the end of the anime. Not that it discredits the concurrency between the endings, but, basically, they're still different media.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: So like, what does 3.0+1.0 actually mean?

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:53 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:So, to add on to this, what the hell does “3.0+1.0” actually mean?

It's a numeral analog to the jo-ha-kyu structure that resolves with a return to the origin. From Donald Richie's "A Tractate on Japanese Aesthetics" (p. 65):

The introduction jo is (in music and in drama) to be of a slow but free rhythm; the exposition in ha is to be in the establishing rhythm; the kyu is the rhythmic climax, relatively fast, followed by a final return to the jo tempo.

The return is further mirrored in the ":||" repeat sign in the title.

Judging by the production notes and interviews and the changes to improve continuity in 3.333 (e.g. making sure the Wille mark is visible on Kaji's downed helicopter, Asuka's redesigned plugsuit), NTE is really a three-part story that happened to be split into four films.
i want rebuild

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:01 am

Thanks for that explanation. That makes sense. I definitely see it as a 3-part story that’s been somewhat restricted by its chosen medium/release format, since 2.0 clearly needed more breathing room and 3.0/3.0+1.0 are very clearly Part 1 and Part 2 of the final act.

eldomtom2
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:08 pm

View Original PostAh Q wrote:Just throwing this out there: if this interpretation is correct, does it imply that EoTV and EoE are entirely different endings, rather than different tellings of the same ending?

They always have been, but this site is very good at denying stuff it doesn’t like.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:19 pm

View Original Posteldomtom2 wrote:
View Original PostAh Q#929115 wrote:Just throwing this out there: if this interpretation is correct, does it imply that EoTV and EoE are entirely different endings, rather than different tellings of the same ending?

They always have been, but this site is very good at denying stuff it doesn’t like.

As an argument, that is no more powerful than saying "They have always been different presentations of the same ending, but some people are very good at not seeing that."

Try explaining what the actual difference is (but maybe not so much in this thread - there are already plenty on the subject).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

The_Max
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The_Max » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:04 pm

What does Thrice Upon a Time actually mean? Easy...

Shinji, GET OUT OF THE ROBOT!
Hey there! I am using EvaGeeks.

eldomtom2
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:17 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Try explaining what the actual difference is (but maybe not so much in this thread - there are already plenty on the subject).

I feel little desire to post the same information that will continue to be ignored as it doesn't fit with people's preferred theories.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”