Amazon Prime's English Dub (General)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Hooded_Omar
Lilith

Re: Amazon Prime English Dub Cast

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:20 am

I don't see why they had to redo the first three in the first place. As the trailer on Amazon's 3.33 page shows, they have seem to have full permission to use the Funi dubs. They should've just uploaded Funi's 1.11 to 3.33 dubs and only dubbed 3.0+1.01. Sure there are some new VAs in the series but it's not necessary to go re-dub the first three imo. If they really wanted to keep actor consistency, they could've simply had the VAs redo their characters' lines according to the Funi scripts.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:33 am

I’m not sure if Khara wanted new dubs or not. If they wanted new dubs, the foreign distributors have to grant them that.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:34 am

View Original PostRay wrote:https://twitter.com/i/status/1426708120097595397

Here's a video comparing the English dubs of several scenes in both the original series and the rebuilds. The Funimation Rebuild dubs still sound the best.

Damn, 1.11 and 2.22 Funimation really was peak Eva dubbing, for me anyway. Even the new takes with the same actors sound off. Ngl I am pretty disappointed, I was never huge on the ADV dub but the first two Funi dubs were actually great. 3.33 was pretty disappointing and all the Prime ones sound just about as bad. What a wild ride the dubbing for this series is.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:36 am

lol, did the ADV cast sabotage their own dub like Harrison Ford sabotaged the narration for Blade Runner?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:04 am

I'm really interested to know what went on behind the scenes at amazon as I wonder if this was another awkward mess like funimation and netflix as both had troubled productions from what I've heard.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:19 am

The common denominator between all of them is Khara and their perceived clout ever since Shin Godzilla deals were being made between Khara and Toho.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:27 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:lol, did the ADV cast sabotage their own dub like Harrison Ford sabotaged the narration for Blade Runner?

Perhaps it’s Khara in an attempt to encourage people to just watch the Japanese version.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:40 am

I agree on Khara as I don't think they get that certain words are used differently here as Asuka calling Mari croney in Japanese that means old friends but in English that can mean henchman. Or if you grew up in the 70's/80's you might make the mistake of thinking it's linked to crone which is a mean word to call an older woman and that Asuka is being even more of an asshole.

This is why I feel four eyes was the better term in my view as it's more neutral and depending on how you speak it and the tone you use could be seen more as a nic name.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:36 am

Now, I know Khara will be Khara, but if and when a blu-ray with all four films comes to America...

If I had to suggest a big selling point, it'd likely be a much more ironed out dub with the same Amazon cast.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:24 pm

Second part on my full reviews.

3.33 funimation vs Amazon 3.33

I feel that the 3.33 Amazon is far stronger than the funimation because they tell you clearly what's going on in the starting battle and don't leave you in limbo through the telling, so you know just what's going on why things are happening and what Shinji did. I do like Kaworu though in both dubs and I like that the LGBT subtext is not erased in either version, it's just put across slightly differently in both versions.

I do not like though Asuka changing of calling Mari four eyes to four eyed crony, though I get this was in the first funimation dub before they had to redub it as I remember Tiffany mentioning it. (Though I forget the source as it was years ago) I like though that she swears a lot more as it fits the situation better as it's an end world scenario, and she's lived a 14-year war stuck as a teenager. It's just a nicer smoother dub overall which is easier to understand explains much more and like the funimation dub it keeps Kaworu sympathetic.

Now just gotta watch the final.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:51 pm

In FUNimation's theatrical dub of 3.0, Asuka calls Mari "four eyes"; "four eyed crony" didn't crop up till the home video dub. I didn't see it in theaters at the time, but roughly a half hour of cam footage is online including the first time Asuka calls Mari that.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:02 pm

This is thr problem you see, I can see what they changed it from "Four-eyes" because it just sounds like she's being a bitch and she and Mari aren't that antagonistic to each other.

"Four eyed crony" works in the sense of the original word play nickname in Japanese but sounds clunky as hell. But for the life of me I can't think of anything better. I would have just settled on giving up trying to re-create completely and (for example) have Asuka's first use of the line just be "Mari, get it together and stop singing...".
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:08 pm

Gotta ask: how does コネメガネ work as a pun?

Edit: I just looked it up, and it's a play on ホネメガネ, or Horn-Rimmed Glasses. Asuka switches the first character with a コ, thus, the first part of her nickname, コネ.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Re: Sooo, the new Rebuild dubs....

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:00 pm

Other than 2.22 (which was done so poorly in this Amazon dub) - the other 3 films sounded fine to me. 3.0 was miles better than the 3.0 Funi dub, 1.0 was about equal for me, but I liked the script changes in Amazon's dub better.

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Sooo, the new Rebuild dubs....

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:48 pm

I was surprised how much I actually missed Amanda Winn Lee as Rei. I've only watch TUaT of the Amazon dub, but I really enjoyed her performance. Certainly one of her best with the character(s).
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:06 pm

Amazon Thrice Upon A time

Watched the last dub solid all the way though like I can't fault this one, it's excellent from start to finish. Loved the movie start to finish, great end to the new series.

Jayfive is absolutely right, though that is not Asuka's screams during the Evangelion pile up scene with Asuka killing them with the rock and roll guitar, I know Tiffany's scream anywhere, and it's not hers it's Miyamura's she has a much lighter pitch than Tiffany when she screams Tiffany's is deeper. Tiffany Grant is gonna be really pissed when she sees this.

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:19 pm

Why, Dubbing Brothers? Why do you avoid giving Grant the opportunity to release the inner beast within her when needed?

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:24 pm

It'd be nice if we could ask someone like Patrick Giraudi, the mixer for the English Amazon dubs. Stuff like Fuyutsuki's line is a clear accident, but I wonder if there was a reason for the screams. Maybe the take wasn't clear enough? Maybe it was something requested by someone else above them? I just doubt there'd be an honest error like this utilizing part of another language version.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:47 pm

but I wonder if there was a reason for the screams. Maybe the take wasn't clear enough?

I've seen talk that the actors performed the lines remotely which would make sense since VAs have said post-NDA that recording was done last year so it was in the depths of restrictions and lockdowns so it's difficult for example, for Tiffany to let rip with one of her headphone-wreckers like in Episode 22 when there's neighbours and such. I can imagine multiple full-throated shrieks coming from a house would attract attention in the quiet suburbs. So with that in mind clearly they used some of the shouts and screams but not others because they couldn't get loud or realistic enough.

It is worth nothing that AFAIK the audio-swapping was only done with Asuka's dub. But everyone in the dub is holding back and I can't see beyond the circumstances of recording remotely for a reason.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:25 pm

Perhaps when studio recording becomes a thing again, there might be a chance for the actors to rerecord their would-be epic moments?

Unlikely, I know, but hey, a man can dream, right?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”