Amazon Prime's English Dub (General)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: Amazon Prime English Dub Cast

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:47 pm

I think so but if she's cheesed off now when she hears that they really didn't use a load of her audio and just used Miyamura's instead - something that Grant has been told about but apparently claims is impossible but very clearly is isn't - she is REALLY going to be pissed.

Without spoilers for 3.0+1.0 go from 1:20:15 to 1:21:35 - everything that isn't Asuka shouting at Mari is Miyamura. There may even be a line that it's the original Japanese, with everything that's going on at that point it's difficult to tell.

Then a lot of the audio from 1:27:57 that isn't a spoken line is Miyamura ending at 1:29:10 with what in the original is an almighty scream that goes on for several seconds but in the dub is just a silent shot of Asuka with the music and sound effect playing.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:12 pm

I'm sorry, but.....

WHAT???

I've heard some of the weird choices/accidents made in the dub (Fuyutsuki's repeated line using two different takes) but this just seals the deal for me. Jumping back and forth between voice actors in the same scene is ridiculous. This is a dub that is, on a technical level, on the same plane as Manga Ent's EoE dub.

lol, producing a crummy English dub for the last installment of a franchise is an Evangelion reference now, apparently.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:32 pm

Should have stuck with VSI :whistle:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:41 pm

I don't believe in objectivity when it comes to evaluating art, but the VSI Dub does have less technical issues than the Prime Dub. And I did catch Asuka's "balls to the wall" line from the VSI dub and kinda loved it. People can love what they want, but VSI has the perfect blend of dubbing and technical qualities for me.

Now if I can only be bothered to listen to a whole English dub. :lol:

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:43 pm

Wow... looking through the whole thread, I had a feeling there were gonna be some hiccups along the way, especially with knowing that Khara was in charge of all the dubbing, but...

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:00 am

Uh, yikes:
SPOILER: Show

Image placed inside a spoiler tag; too big - JoelcrNeto

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:20 am

I think I'm gonna need a barf bag after reading that...

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:28 am

https://twitter.com/i/status/1426708120097595397

Here's a video comparing the English dubs of several scenes in both the original series and the rebuilds. The Funimation Rebuild dubs still sound the best. Misato in the Amazon dub of 1.11 sounds exhausted and bored. In the Funi dub she sounds like someone who actually is about to have a bomb dropped on them. I'm glad the original dub cast got to come back for the last movie, but Amazon apparently didn't give the actors enough time in the booth to record the lines properly for the redubs.

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:33 am

Honestly, I really feel Tiffany's pain about all of this.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:39 am

She also cites other stuff in follow up posts that the actors asked about including other lines like "I mustn't run away" instead of "Don't run away", "X Child" vs "X Girl/Boy" (she includes an anecdote that someone at the screening the cast had assumed Shinji being the Third Boy meant he was a clone like Rei) and alternates to "four eyed crony" like "four eyed flunky". The impression I got watching the new dubs is that there was some attempt at addressing the script issues by Dubbing Bros. that many fans have complained about regarding the VSI dub, but Khara remained firm a lot of the time. I can see the argument from both sides, even if I'd have personally liked to have heard more famous lines from the ADV dub. I don't think these got in the way of the actors' performances most of the time though, with perhaps the notable exception of Spike and Allison tripping over lines during the first half hour or so of 1.11.

aboose
Lilith

Re: Sooo, the new Rebuild dubs....

•      
  •      

Postby aboose » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:53 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostWarren Peace#929222 wrote:That's not the interpretation I want when I say I love my mother. The word can describe all kinds of relationships and feelings.

True. However, when two not related people use the word "love", the main interpretation is romantic. It's extremely unlikely to use the word "love" for friendship.

The word "like" is more ambiguous. It could be romantic, it could be familial, it could just be friendship, etc.

Love can also be friendship, I love my friends and I wouldn't be afraid to tell them I love them.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:01 am

View Original Postaboose wrote:Love can also be friendship, I love my friends and I wouldn't be afraid to tell them I love them.

But if you were Japanese, in Japan, that is not the wording you would use. This is a Japanese series, and going too far with localisation can become a form of distortion.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Erufailon4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Erufailon4 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:35 am

Grant's post is certainly... quite something. I don't think I've ever seen a voice actor publicly criticize a translator that harshly. (I do wonder how much of the decisions she attributes to Kanemitsu were actually made by higher-ups at Khara though...)

"X Child" vs "X Girl/Boy" (she includes an anecdote that someone at the screening the cast had assumed Shinji being the Third Boy meant he was a clone like Rei)

That was in the original Japanese, wasn't it? 第3の少年. It's one of those changes between the original continuity and the Rebuilds. I don't see why that change shouldn't apply to the English version as well.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:11 am

View Original Postaboose wrote:Love can also be friendship, I love my friends and I wouldn't be afraid to tell them I love them.

I agree that friendship is a kind of love. However, it seems uncommon to use "I love you" for a friend.

In fact, the accusations of gay erasure when the dub used the word "like" proves that "love" isn't so ambiguous. These fans wanted the word "love", because that assures Kaworu has romantic feelings toward Shinji ("I like you" could be used for romantic feelings too).

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:13 am

For people saying they used the Japanese audio for screams and stuff in the dub, here's what Tiffany has to say:

Image too big. Placed under a spoiler tag. - JoelcrNeto

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:35 am

Yeah seen that already when I had this discussion on Reddit - The important part of what she says is she hasn’t listened to them yet. And when you does she is going to full anta on those bakas.

She says what I’m saying is impossible but I assure you it is what has happened. I know what Miyamura’s voice sounds like and would have recognised it without the original audio to compare.

It hasn’t happened in the other movies but at least one sequence in 3.0+1.0 is the work of two different voice actors.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:40 am

This is all so foreign to me; never ever watched a dub of Eva. I did watch older anime dubbed in the 80's, but Eva was always in Japanese from the very start, even back then when I couldn't understand it all (and perhaps you might as well say that I learned quite a bit of Japanese through Eva).

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:41 am

I still think the rewording is fine. It’s a little frustrating, but every translator *will* pick different English phrasing when localizing translations of Japanese language elements due to the vast differences between a globally-used language like English compared an insularly-used language like Japanese. That’s just the nature of the beast. “Don’t run away,” “You’re an idiot, aren’t you,” etc. still have a natural flow and cadence just like the ADV phrasings had.

The technical oddities in the dub mix is weirding me out, though. If they kept two takes of Fuyutuki’s line, it’s not outside of the realm of possibility that they reused Miyamura’s screams in Grant’s dub track.

I should compare the two tonight…

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:07 am

Aren't they the same people who said "it's just cartoon" when faced with EoE dub criticisms? Maybe they should take that advice, plus I'm sure they got paid to redo the first three films.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:20 am

Well, to be fair, I kinda see why they’re upset about the phrase change. The Japanese filmmakers and audiences are treating the line “Anta Baka?!” as somewhat of a catchphrase, and catchphrases are supposed to be the same from one continuity to another. So the English translation having a high chance of changing with each new translator kind of frustrates the catchphrase approach to some of Evangelion’s dialogue.

If I could express my honest opinion, “You’re an idiot, aren’t you?” reads better to me. “What are you, stupid?” felt too unnatural in a lot of the conversations in which it was being said. I’ll have to hear the new line in a conversation though, to see how it fits there.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”