Amazon Prime's English Dub (General)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Sooo, the new Rebuild dubs....

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:58 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:the idea of Gendo having a secret life as a hammy wrestler is a lifestyle I am very supportive of.

"Can you smell what the Gendo is cooking? That's right! Time for an Additional IMPACT!"

He even announces Shinji's entrance in Eva 01 like "WHAT'S THIS? IT'S THE RED-EYED PILOT OF EVANGELION UNIT 01 WITH A FOLDING CHAIR!"

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:01 pm

Just watched the Zeruel fight. It's just not the same with the new Mari. Between that and the Unit-5 fight you get no impression of what a bezerker Mari is supposed to be. She sounds like a slice-of-life protagonist who won a competition to be an Eva pilot.

Also of note is they've changed Ritsuko's during Za Beasto's activation line from "this girl's clearly willing to risk..." to "the pilot is willing to risk..." - I always considered the former to be a flub of the Funi localization because no-one at NERV had any idea who the pilot is and there's been no communication or audio during the battle.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Amazon Prime English Dub Cast

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:40 pm

Having watched only tuat so far of the redub, i must say i miss Nishimura and Jewell. Nishimura gave such a "lively" voice to Mari that it made her fun to watch, her new VA tries but it falls far short. In Kaworus case it's harder to judge given he doesn't say as much in tuat compared to 3.0 but his new VA doesn't have Jewells' warmth and comfiness but it might just be a matter of getting used to it. Out of the rest the one that is most concerning is AWL, she did great in tuat with ReiQs more passiveness but i'm not sure the tone she was giving Rei would work with the Rei from 1.0 and 2.0. As the few snippets of that Rei in tuat were not encouraging to say the least.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:55 pm

If I had a hole in my head full of glowing alien jujubees I'd ham it up, too.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:29 pm

I'm impressed Khara had Amazon redub all three of the preceding rebuild movies with Amazon, I'm even more impressed they reached out to the old cast from both the ADV and the rebuild dubs for the new series. It would have been so easy for them to ignore the English fanbase the way Netflix did but they didn't. Good on whichever chairman or dub director made that call.

But I do have some concerns. Much like how I feel about the Netflix dub being the only English language option for the original series and there being no legal option for the ADV dub. It looks like the Funimation dub for the first three rebuilds will soon no longer be legally available in the same way. The Funi dub is going to be lost media without a legal option to stream it, so the Funimation rebuild DVDs will have some resell value. Buy them now, because with the Amazon release they're officially a finite supply.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:13 am

The unqueering of the show via the Netflix dub is a profound insult to the US fanbase.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:42 am

I have to admit, the English dub of 3.0+1.0 is decent. Not great, but decent. I actually think Tiffany Grant's delivery toward the end was especially heart-wrenching. And I say this as no fan of Grant's Asuka.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:34 am

I was disappointed by the dub (of TUAT - I haven't tried the others yet). It's not bad exactly, but I was surprised how often the delivery was stilted when the text was such as could have been delivered naturally.

Some people have criticised the translation, but while there are inevitably some rough spots, I suspect the delivery accounted for more of the problems than has been realised.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:35 am

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote: I actually think Tiffany Grant's delivery toward the end was especially heart-wrenching. And I say this as no fan of Grant's Asuka.

I know the part towards the end that you speak of, and my opinion is the same as yours.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:04 am

Is it just me or are the volume levels of the dub all over the place? There's points in TUAT where I can barely hear AWL and some shouts/screams sound like they are 6 feet away from the mic.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:28 am

Volume levels seemed fine when I watched TUAT's dub. Maybe it has to do with your sound equipment?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:36 am

I'm currently doing a watching marathon all 4 movies on Amazon I do really like hearing AWL as Rei again, I'm glad they added back in the swearing as I felt that was lacking from the funimation version and made no sense since it's a military base (And they had swearing in EOE/NGE)

The only character I'm not feeling is Mari's new VA Deneen Melody (Though I still need to finish 2.22/3.33 and Final) So my mind might change on this, but I do really prefer Trina's tone as it is so eccentric and quirky which I feel fits with the UK character type.

(Will post full thoughts after watching all 4)
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Laziest dubbing decision in the entire franchise

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:56 am

Check the dub of Asuka and Mari fighting the Eva Mk.7s (a battle I demand be referred to as "Eva Girls vs Bony Bois") because thanks to a dual-audio copy I've...acquired I can compare and they've used a load of Miyamura's shouts and grunts instead of Tiffany Grant.

Between the point where Asuka's mini-gun runs out and the Mk.7 form that big spiral thing it's mostly Miyamura save for the couple of times Grant is (presumably at gunpoint) forced to yell "Four-eyed crony...".

There's vocalisations you only get in Japanese , at least 2 of her screams and I'm pretty sure one line in Japanese. This is sloppy production and disrespectful to Grant.

Merged from “Laziest dubbing decision in the entire franchise” into here - JoelcrNeto

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:31 pm

Also anything that isn't a actual line of dialogue in Code 999 sequence is Miyamura too, you can hear it switching between her and Grant.

And it gets better - they've cut off one scream in the dub completely - it's the one after Unit 13 blows Code-999-02s arms off. In the sub it's Miyamura screaming, in the dub it's silent except for the soundtrack. Oh and Grant whispers the "It's a dual plug system" line when it's very obvious Asuka is yelling.

What the hell are they playing at?
Last edited by Jayfive on Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aboose
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby aboose » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:44 pm

Dubs are always bad.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:47 pm

This isn't bad dubbing. This is not dubbing at all. Neither the Funi dubs nor the ADV dubs pulled crap like this.

This is the kind of shit you'd expect to see Kenny Lauderdale cover in one of his vids about some shonky 80s anime, not something commissioned by Amazon.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:05 pm

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:The unqueering of the show via the Netflix dub is a profound insult to the US fanbase.

Yeah, it's not like that dub cast a member of the LBGQT+ community as the main character who did a great job despite getting bashed for replacing an old Cisgendered white male. It's also not like the Shinji/Kawrou realtionship was never supposed to be sexual love until Yaoi fangirls ran with and made it more of joke than anything.

But what do I know.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:30 pm

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:The unqueering of the show via the Netflix dub is a profound insult to the US fanbase.

The incorrect US fanbase. I can't imagine being the poor schmuck at ADV in 2000 who was like "well the line is 'It means I like you' but he says it in a romantic way... shit man let's just go with 'love' instead", and caused so much strife to the side of the US fanbase who refuses to admit that the ADV dub wasn't perfect.3

Mod: I removed the offensive language in your original post, please refrain from such language going forward
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:51 pm

The Netflix dub has nothing to do with Rebuild (the subject of this thread), though...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:48 pm

I actually was rather impressed by the Amazon dubs. Yeah, the script has problems sometimes, but a lot of the actors manage to work with it fairly well. Tiffany Grant in particular manages to make almost every single line from Asuka work even if it's clunkier than it needs to be or is something she's been vocal about disagreeing with. I adore the FUNimation dubs, but I think the Amazon dubs are a fine substitute if Khara insists on not using the previous ones - in fact having a lot of the supporting actors back really helps this feel all the more like Eva to me again in subtle ways. The one who's benefited the most from this new dub is easily John Swasey, who absolutely tops himself in 1.11 and 2.22 compared to the FUNimation dubs. He's not as good as Tristan MacAvery, I don't think anyone else could be to me, but Swasey is absolutely at top form here.

There are only two things that really stood out to me as bad. First, Sean Burgos as Kaji. Definitely the weakest English actor for Kaji in my opinion, and definitely feels like he's just reading the lines off the page. He seems excited about being in the dub on twitter though, maybe he was just given poor direction. The second and far worse thing though is the first roughly 30 minutes of 1.11. Maybe Spencer and Keith had trouble at first adjusting back to the early Shinji and Misato after dubbing 3.0+1.01 (which I think they were great in), but the dub for that first section of the movie is just very poorly acted. Maybe they were having trouble with the script, maybe it was poor direction, I don't know. But it makes everything through the scene where Shinji moves into Misato's apartment really difficult to sit through in my opinion. Some of the other actors struggle through this section too, I remember Ross having a weird delivery of one of Fuyutsuki's lines, but since this is mostly Shinji and Misato they get the brunt of it. After that things sort of click and the rest of the dub is fine (Weaver's voice for Toji is definitely too deep in 1.11 and 2.22, but he's got good inflection at least).

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”