Amazon Prime's English Dub (General)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CoolJosh2002
Lilith

Re: Amazon Prime English Dub Cast

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:54 am

Jayfive wrote:I'll take "Damning with faint praise" for 400.... :D

:lol: Hey I'll take what I can get! Just getting my very brief thoughts out on the grand total of two scenes I've seen lol. From those two scenes alone, I do feel that the scripting is better than on Netflix. I still think that script held back those actors, and there were so many awkward lines. But this thread isn't about the Netflix Dub lol! So i'll keep those opinions to myself.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:19 pm

So I watched the 3.0+1.01 dub straight away since I rewatched Funi's dubs of 1.11, 2.22 and 3.33 last month. One thing I was a little confused about is why does Shinji now refer to Misato and Sakura as "Miss Misato" and "Miss Sakura", and also Kaji as "Mr. Kaji", and Rei as just "Ayanami"?

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:29 pm

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:So I watched the 3.0+1.01 dub straight away since I rewatched Funi's dubs of 1.11, 2.22 and 3.33 last month. One thing I was a little confused about is why does Shinji now refer to Misato and Sakura as "Miss Misato" and "Miss Sakura", and also Kaji as "Mr. Kaji", and Rei as just "Ayanami"?

I guess they try to mantain the Japanese honorifics that Shinji uses with Misato, Kaji and Sakura.

Also, Shinji always calls Rei as Ayanami(-san).

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:39 pm

Because Khara said so. If there's a weird word choice or clunky dialogue or not using a contraction or anything that doesn't sound right for a native English speaker to say the answer is - because Khara.

Yknow I get the feeling that after that doomed 3.0 dub, someone at Khara looked into English-language anime dubs and went "Holy shit, they've been fucking around for decades!".

Is there a history of anime studios signing off on English dubs or did they just let them get on with it just like Fox probably has very little input into or even cares about the Japanese dub of The Simpsons?
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:27 pm

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:59 pm

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:It isn't a Frankensteined dub, it's all new. Heard a bit of the recap at the start of 3.0+1.0 and there is none of the Funimation dub.

I might watch both versions of the movies dub to compare how they differ. Which version had better direction and casting.

I do feel a little bad for Brina Palencia. I think she did a fine job in the last few movies and should have come back to be Rei one last time. I think Amanda Winn Lee is a fine voice actress but when I close my eyes, and listen to her as Rei in 3.0+1.0 it just doesn't seem right. She doesn't really sound at all like the way she did in her old ADV days, for better and worse. Brina's Rei sounded like how I imagined Rei's voice to be in my head when I read the manga. Amanda's Rei voice back in the 90s sounded like Brinas voice now, her new Rei voice is too much like her Persona characters.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:25 pm

My headcanon for some of the dub changes going from Funi's 3.33 to Amazon's 3.0+1.01:

•Shinji calls Rei Q "Ayanami" instead of "Rei" because she's not the same Rei he was friends with in 1.11 and 2.22. He sees Rei Q as a friend but not as close a friend as 1.11 and 2.22 Rei.

•Shinji uses honorifics for Misato and the others because he's kinda scared of them after 3.33 and the DSS choker stuff, and doesn't want to give them a reason to try to kill him and wants to show as much respect as possible.

•Rei's voice changes due to her LCL deterioration, and also because she's trying to become her own person.

•Fuyutsuki has accepted the fact that Gendoh has gone mad with power and is embracing his role in the Human Instrumentality Project by using a radically different accent (it's hard to explain this point).

As for the recap at the start of the film, I like to think Shinji's playing it in his mind as he, Asuka and Rei Q wander across the red earth. The poor boy's just seen Kaworu die in front of him so he's not in the best state of mind. That's why he remembers the events of the previous films differently, with Gendoh being even more villainous then he actually was. Rei having a different voice in the recap is due to Rei Q and his Rei being jumbled by his emotions.
Last edited by Hooded_Omar on Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:52 pm

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:One thing I was a little confused about is why does Shinji now refer to Misato and Sakura as "Miss Misato" and "Miss Sakura", and also Kaji as "Mr. Kaji", and Rei as just "Ayanami"?

In the Portuguese dub they also kept the English equivalent of "Mister" and "Miss": "senhor" and "senhora", respectively.
Anyway, the reason of it, it's exactly what Konja7 said.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Kid
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kid » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:10 pm

Well, I have finished watching and comparing all the Rebuild dubs.
Before going into individual performances, I wanted to comment on some general things. The more literal translation of Amazon's script makes 1.0 and 2.0 have some really weirdly paced lines. I think the biggest example would be the elevator scene, which loses a lot of energy in the Amazon dub. The dialogue was also weirdly quiet in 1.0 and 2.0, which makes the more reserved performances sound even lower energy.

For performances:
Spike is worse in Amazon 1.0 and 2.0, but better in 3.0
Tiffany is equal across the board, but if you like your Asuka with some extra snootiness Funimation 2.0 will be more your speed.
AWL is a fantastic Rei Q, abysmal Rei II.
Daman Mills is an incredible Kaworu. He brings so much soft honesty in his performance.

Now, Mari...
Mari was clearly recasted to have a "safer" voice since she'd be such a big focus in 3.0+1.0. She's now a generic sounding anime woman. The performance isn't bad by any means, but it's really disappointing they'd dump an actress with a unique vocal quality because she (probably) wasn't deemed as marketable for a lead role.

Dub watch recommendation:
Funimation 1.0
Funimation 2.0
Amazon 3.0
Amazon 3.0+1.0

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

Re: Sooo, the new Rebuild dubs....

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:27 am

I want Black Hyuga back

I actually watched 3.33 before watching the finale tonight and it’s hilarious how bad the localization is on that movie. The literal translations get downright absurd sometimes. Some of that carried over to the finale.

I’m talking about bizarre word choices like “crony” and the way that characters just blurt out exposition like they’re explaining their own movie to the audience.

Like,

Misato: Shinji, this bomb collar represents your guilt and sadness.
Shinji: But I’m only sad, not guilty.
Misato: Give it a minute.

Kaworu: (explains entire plot and info dumps for ten minutes)
Shinji: You know everything! I love you!

Gendo's Glasses
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo's Glasses » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:00 am

I actually work in manga/anime localization and, IMO, both the Amazon dub and Netflix dub demonstrate the importance of good localization. Sometimes the ADV dub may've gone a bit too far with the original series and EoE, sure. And even though the Amazon dub isn't terrible, there're so many lines where I can only assume that whoever was overseeing the translation/localization insisted on as-written because they are so clunky and literal and just don't sound remotely like what someone would say. Especially when you'll have a more relaxed line right next to something so inflexible. It's a shame, really.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:12 pm

Not a dub person. Especially this cast. But that's just me. But I saw this on Youtube, listened and had a serious giggle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJDKEcof-pI

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:41 pm

That was one of my favorite lines, lmao

aboose
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby aboose » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:47 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Not a dub person. Especially this cast. But that's just me. But I saw this on Youtube, listened and had a serious giggle:

Jesus that's bad. I don't get how people can justify this stuff when the sub is right there for them.

Bonifatus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bonifatus » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:27 pm

I guess I’m the minority that really liked them. There were weird lines that popped up here and there (I assumed it wad to match lip flaps), but I felt that the VAs had finally gotten to the point where they didnt sound like people playing characters and like actual people. I can’t tell you how it was with respect to accuracy, but I felt like they had done a really good job with making it sound like it wasn’t trying to be a translation of something and was instead something that could stand on its own. (And honestly try reading anime subtitles aloud sometime… they sound downright AWFUL 99+% of the time)

Four-eyes crony kills me every time they say it though. IIRC that was forced by Khara when they took over the 3.33 dub though wasn’t it?

Gendo's Glasses
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo's Glasses » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:31 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Not a dub person. Especially this cast. But that's just me. But I saw this on Youtube, listened and had a serious giggle:

This owns.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:32 pm

View Original Postaboose wrote:

Jesus that's bad. I don't get how people can justify this stuff when the sub is right there for them.

I was elected to lead, not to read.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:55 pm

View Original PostBonifatus wrote:Four-eyes crony kills me every time they say it though. IIRC that was forced by Khara when they took over the 3.33 dub though wasn’t it?

Yeah. And I bet by now Tiffany Grant has developed an involuntarily twitch every time she had to say it.

And crony is the wrong word for what Asuka claims Mari is. Crony means a close friend, accomplice, henchman, that sort of thing. Cronyism is "the appointment of friends and associates to positions of authority, without proper regard to their qualifications." but being on the receiving end of that doesn't make you a crony. It would only make sense if said you were someone's crony. And that's not said. So it doesn't sound right.

Though to be fair I can't think of anything better that gets the point across. Just calling her "Glasses" or "Four-Eyes" like in the first 3.0 dub just makes Asuka sound petty and childish. The best I can come up with is something like "Little Miss Brown-Nose" but that doesn't really work.

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:40 pm

View Original Postaboose wrote:

Oh, live a little. I was hoping John Swasey would give us some ham for Gendo's final showdown with Shinji and he didn't disappoint.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:52 pm

Gendo's Glasses wrote:This owns.

It kinda does. It would take me out of the moment if I was watching the movie, and most dubs do which is why it's not for me, but the idea of Gendo having a secret life as a hammy wrestler is a lifestyle I am very supportive of.

"Can you smell what the Gendo is cooking? That's right! Time for an Additional IMPACT!"

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”