Will 3.0+1.0 Negatively Impact The Legacy of Evangelion?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Will 3.0+1.0 Negatively Impact The Legacy of Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:51 pm

Axx°N N. wrote:The difference is that Robert Zumeckis didn't write the original Beowulf poem.

I get what you mean, but I think that any franchise or mythology (and franchises basically are the mythologies of the modern era) is going to have to deal with that "Quixotic effort" you mentioned anyway. In this case, it's the same creator making a different story, but I don't think that's necessary for new works being compared unfavorably and unfairly against older ones. I guess you can argue that NTE is something Anno thinks is better as a final word, but even then, I feel that if one makes the effort, NGE and EoE can still be viewed on their own terms, in the way some people even view EoTV and EoE as different works-complementary, but still separate from each other.

I don't feel like anyone with a negative view of Shin/NTE is saying NTE is bad because it's commercial, but rather that it's commercial and is bad. The difference between master painters and Lot 49 is that, unless you were told, you would never be able to tell the difference between them and something that wasn't made from a profit circumstance. Rebuild however very obviously concerns itself with being a commercial work in the sense that it tries to consistently pleasure its audience in tropes whose entire purpose is to do so.

When I first watched NTE, I didn't find it particularly commercial. Sure, I was wondering whether Anno had lost himself and was making some sort of a cashgrab while watching Jo and Ha, but with Q, my feelings for NTE as a whole became rather different and more full of praise. Once again, I don't think NTE is really all that commercial. Yeah, Jo and Ha are, but that's intentional in my view and besides from action and that one shot of Mari where her boobs jiggle, I struggle to understand how Q is commercial, too. (And I've already said I consider the action there more strange and in line with the film's weirdo aesthetics than anything resembling conventional fanservice). I've already said this before, but I find it such a weird work that I think in order to find it commercial one has to look for reasons as opposed to finding them. Q's pace is...kind of all over the place, but in a good way and about the script being more talk than show, then that's a strange thing in my opinion, because Q and even NTE in general are actually more openly in line with the old adage of "show-don't-tell" than NGE was for most of the time. (NGE certainly held true to that principle for the majority of its runtime, but I think NTE manages to use it a lot better.) Stuff like Kaworu's and Shinji's relationship, which I guess can be construed as commercial, is also something I've said I consider less commercial than more-and if Anno decided a slight degree of relatively more "normalcy" was necessary for communicating his themes, then that's fine by me.

Granted, I haven't seen Shin, but a cool person pointed out recently in EGFD that he thinks having Shin be a happy ending is the only place to go from EoE and I think there's merit to that idea-Shin might be commercial, but it seems to be mostly commercial in the ways a Ghibli movie like Kiki's Delivery Service or Whisper of the Heart is and then maybe commercial in the way NGE was in its first half.

I get you're saying that the problem with NTE is that its "indulgence in audience pleasure" is only bad because it interferes with its artistic integrity, but I personally can't even see how it's that commercial to begin with.

Konja7:I'd rather wait for the movie-I have read the translations, but I've found I'm a lot better in discussing themes than I am in discussing lore and I feel watching Shin might probably make it all a lot easier for me to get. I'll trust your word for now.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:28 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:I get what you mean, but I think that any franchise or mythology (and franchises basically are the mythologies of the modern era) is going to have to deal with that "Quixotic effort" you mentioned anyway. In this case, it's the same creator making a different story, but I don't think that's necessary for new works being compared unfavorably and unfairly against older ones. I guess you can argue that NTE is something Anno thinks is better as a final word, but even then, I feel that if one makes the effort, NGE and EoE can still be viewed on their own terms, in the way some people even view EoTV and EoE as different works-complementary, but still separate from each other.

That's basically how I feel, and I think it's the healthiest outlook just in terms of understanding the works and in terms of allowing the discourse here to be productive and fruitful. At the same time, it's almost guaranteed the NGE vs. NTE wars are going to rival the Asuka vs. Rei waifu wars in terms of pettiness; it is what it is.

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:I get you're saying that the problem with NTE is that its "indulgence in audience pleasure" is only bad because it interferes with its artistic integrity, but I personally can't even see how it's that commercial to begin with.

We'll just have to disagree there, then. But just for anecdotal sake, everyone I know who I've watched NTE with are basically of the same mind re: it feeling commercial; they feel more like Marvel films where the pacing is breakneck, this kind of "just get to the next thing" hyperactivity, and too much screentime spent on things that don't really contribute much overall other than telling the audience "here's our enormous budget, isn't the current state of film technology cool?" Even in Q, there's for instance the Wunder introduction scenes that feel like they drag and are just technobabble and procedural shots at length. The pacing is the best of NTE in Q but that's only in comparison; it still feels speedy.

As for show, don't tell, again, I feel like it's a common refrain just from my experience. Q is actually the worst example of it for me, funnily enough. The entirety of the film's dialogue is basically exposition. Shinji boards the Wunder, so every line of dialogue is getting him up to speed from Wille's POV, then once Rei snatches him up, Kaworu begins to fill in that role but from his vague POV. This wouldn't be so bad, I fully understand that Shinji is functioning as a totally fine audience proxy and that it can be a good way to avoid exposition feeling needless in-universe. But then you have Gendo who is constantly having totally needless dialogue like "the plan is going exactly as I planned." Why does Fuyutsuki need reassuring of that? He's only saying that for the audience's benefit.

That's just Q, though. From what I've seen of Shin, given that the dialogue is actually most of what we have so far, there seems to be tons more. The worst one for me is Kaji's "Kaworu's last name has actually meant something the whole time, and this is exactly what it means..."

And although, again, a lot of visual context is missing, from a purely character level the dialogue seems to function only in one way the entire time:

"This is what your problem has been all along, (insert character here). But that's OK, we're talking it out, and it will all be fine because we've (reached this precise understanding)."

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Granted, I haven't seen Shin, but a cool person pointed out recently in EGFD that he thinks having Shin be a happy ending is the only place to go from EoE and I think there's merit to that idea-Shin might be commercial, but it seems to be mostly commercial in the ways a Ghibli movie like Kiki's Delivery Serviceor Whisper of the Heart is and then maybe commercial in the way NGE was in its first half.

I have no problem with a happy ending, and EoTV, underneath its inscrutability, was very much already a happy ending. In fact I prefer it less to EoE because its happiness feels a touch naive, but not anywhere near the Shin ending of "let's reward Shinji by pairing him with a one-dimensional girl, no signs of victory need be doubted because her breasts are large and he's very confident. Fin."
Après moi le déluge!

NamvM74
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NamvM74 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:16 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:
View Original PostKonja7#916099 wrote:

And maybe the reason Anno also decided to make a new Eva story was because of artistic reasons? Because he wanted to make an epilogue to Eva, as I believe he has said (though I can't find the place where he said it)?

So why didn't he just make an epilogue. For what I can gather from people who like this ending they are enjoying a cathartic closure to these characters after 25 years. Not closure for the rebuild characters mind you. I've heard almost no one talk about how rebuild has masterfully built up to these scene over the course of 4 film. This is closure for the Eva cast in general. Everything achieved here could of been done by releasing EoE with deleted scenes in instrumentality where Shinji has a final conversation with the cast and maybe a new or extended epilogue.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:45 pm

View Original PostNamvM74 wrote:So why didn't he just make an epilogue. For what I can gather from people who like this ending they are enjoying a cathartic closure to these characters after 25 years. Not closure for the rebuild characters mind you. I've heard almost no one talk about how rebuild has masterfully built up to these scene over the course of 4 film. This is closure for the Eva cast in general. Everything achieved here could of been done by releasing EoE with deleted scenes in instrumentality where Shinji has a final conversation with the cast and maybe a new or extended epilogue.

I guess it is difficult for many fans to dissociate the characters for both versions (this is not my case). Not to mention that many people don't feel EoE was closed enough.

I haven't seen the movie, but I feel I would like it from the spoilers. I think 3.0+1.0 will work as a closure for the characters in Rebuild.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:49 pm

View Original PostNamvM74 wrote:Everything achieved here could've been done by releasing EoE with deleted scenes in instrumentality where Shinji has a final conversation with the cast and maybe a new or extended epilogue.
The decade's worth of change in the state of the art would make the Frankensteining of a "Director's cut" fairly obvious, much as with the Zeta Gundam compilation movies. Also, being realistic about it, any such project would have soon become a remake, and things would have spiralled from there.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:27 am

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:I have no problem with a happy ending, and EoTV, underneath its inscrutability, was very much already a happy ending. In fact I prefer it less to EoE because its happiness feels a touch naive, but not anywhere near the Shin ending of "let's reward Shinji by pairing him with a one-dimensional girl, no signs of victory need be doubted because her breasts are large and he's very confident. Fin."

But still some people doesn't get that the problem is how the saga goes from the beginning to the end.

People, you imagine FF Coppola remaking/rebooting the Godfather or Apocalypse Now just because his state of mind changed from the 70s? And with obvious flaws, in a cinematographic sense?

"I want Michael to be happy with his family", "Kurtz and Willard should work together for peace, people can understand each other"

Think about it.

And still, Coppola has been criticised (not without reason) for releasing one cut after another...so, why not Anno?

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
View Original PostNamvM74#916395 wrote:Everything achieved here could've been done by releasing EoE with deleted scenes in instrumentality where Shinji has a final conversation with the cast and maybe a new or extended epilogue.
The decade's worth of change in the state of the art would make the Frankensteining of a "Director's cut" fairly obvious, much as with the Zeta Gundam compilation movies. Also, being realistic about it, any such project would have soon become a remake, and things would have spiralled from there.

The thing is...dou you remember anybody, in the early 2000s, asking for something like NTE? A fan demand? Of course, there were fanfics everywhere, like any other franchise. But Eva had ended making history, in a bombastic way, and of course the conclusion was a subject of debate (like many art works, take Apocalypse Now as an example) but that was all, life continued. Anno was the one who couldn't move on. And I believe that not only for artistic or personal reasons : It is cold, very cold, outside of a money making machine.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:53 am

People have absolutely asked for more Eva, otherwise it wouldn't have been made.
Jäeger, you keep arguing from the sole angle of "I don't like it and it's not the original, therefore it must be artistically invalid". The only reason you think that way is because you refuse to look at NTE beyond surface level.

Let me pose you this question:
If NTE truly was "just a cash cow" as you claim, then why is Q the way it is? If Anno just wanted to reap some easy profits, he would have simply kept going at the established and successful formula of the TV setting and added a whole bunch of new angels and Eva units to sell toys of. Instead, he completely ditched all of that and created a movie that intentionally alienated large portions of the viewebase to make a point.
The source you draw from betrays the point you are trying to make.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Luigi shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:57 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:The thing is...dou you remember anybody, in the early 2000s, asking for something like NTE? A fan demand? Of course, there were fanfics everywhere, like any other franchise. But Eva had ended making history, in a bombastic way, and of course the conclusion was a subject of debate (like many art works, take Apocalypse Now as an example) but that was all, life continued. Anno was the one who couldn't move on. And I believe that not only for artistic or personal reasons : It is cold, very cold, outside of a money making machine.

I'm not so sure that most people did accepted EoE as conclusion. I think this is one of the reason why NGE still remembered to this day becouse a lot of people don't get that cringy happy endings they wanted and here we are now, from what I got from the spoilers this new movie is exatly what they wanted and tbh I can't expet anything else. (sorry for my english)

Gendo's Glasses
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo's Glasses » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:06 am

Precisely. How many happy ending fanfics are there? Hell, how many people were certain that the NTE would be some kind of golden path where the Children use the knowledge of looping history to prevent the Bad End of EoE?

That, to me, would be far more of a flaw in Evangelion's legacy.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:22 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:People have absolutely asked for more Eva, otherwise it wouldn't have been made.
Jäeger, you keep arguing from the sole angle of "I don't like it and it's not the original, therefore it must be artistically invalid". The only reason you think that way is because you refuse to look at NTE beyond surface level.

Let me pose you this question:
If NTE truly was "just a cash cow" as you claim, then why is Q the way it is? If Anno just wanted to reap some easy profits, he would have simply kept going at the established and successful formula of the TV setting and added a whole bunch of new angels and Eva units to sell toys of. Instead, he completely ditched all of that and created a movie that intentionally alienated large portions of the viewebase to make a point.
The source you draw from betrays the point you are trying to make.

You're putting in my mouth words never spoken. And don't worry, NTE existance and message (in an artistic way) are so obvious so even a toddler could get it (My god, NGE itself wasn't so cryptic either) . You're the one refusing the debate, just saying "you criticise NTE because you don't like it". No, I criticise NTE because is poorly written, it can even work in its own way (It's just a vampire disguised as "meta"), its message is childish (I coul say the same about Zack Snyder works, despite I praise his static visuals, get the point?) and, in a meta way (It's not NTE about? Your words) Anno is a big hypocrite. And that's why I don`t like it. What should I say? That I Like it? So people is not entitled to judge a movie they haven´t liked? Talk about censorship.

Being myself a gamer, I can asure you that there are a lot that there are a lot of games I don't like, like soccer games or FPS, but nobody has heard for me any criticism towards them just for not being my predilect genres. But sorry, I like anime, so sorry I'm entitled to judge NTE.

So your big point is that Q was a darker plot twist in a series of 4 films in one of the most profitable franchises ever? I'm sure we all think the same about The Winter Soldier, being the closest thing to a thriller in the MCU. Wow, what a risk. Sure in both cases toys would stop selling Which big franchises hasn't got its own "dark" episode or iteration?....I belive that you don't even understand what a real artistic or financial risk is.

If your best argument towards mine is gonna be "It's because you don't like it", please, save it for yourself. You're the one refusing to judge NTE as a movie, as tetralogy, just because it's a Hideaki Anno work. Would you show the same attitude were other director instead? Yeah, I'm gonna be like you "you defend NTE just because it's Anno's". How does it sound?

Sorry, but I'm tired of this praetorian guard thing.

View Original PostLuigi Shinji wrote:
I'm not so sure that most people did accepted EoE as conclusion. I think this is one of the reason why NGE still remembered to this day becouse a lot of people don't get that cringy happy endings they wanted and here we are now, from what I got from the spoilers this new movie is exatly what they wanted and tbh I can't expet anything else. (sorry for my english)

Unlike other people, I was there (yeah, I'm that old) and yeah, a lot of rage, a certain disappointment (nobody expected the apocalypse and be so openly a drama movie, despite the TV precedent) but one thing is for sure : nobody said it was a poorly executed conclusion. And just in a few years, EOE , its images were iconic for the history of anime and nobody gave a shit about retelling anything. Moving on. Of course, merchandise, spin offs, etc...that's kinda of natural. Like fanfics : even the most closed anime is gonna get those, no matter the years passed. My god, how many fanfics are out there pairing Harry and Hermione, despite the conclusion?

Or Harry and Malfoy :D
Last edited by Jäeger on Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:38 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:Being a zealot, you're putting in my mouth words never spoken.

I remember someone said that fans who like and defend 3.0+1.0 aren't called by derogatory names.

It seems that person was wrong.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:52 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostJäeger#916505 wrote:Being a zealot, you're putting in my mouth words never spoken.

I remember someone said that fans who like and defend 3.0+1.0 aren't called by derogatory names.

It seems that person was wrong.

My mistake, I'm gonna fix it. But I don't know if it worse then saying "You are not entitled to judge whatever I want, just because reasons". That's not a way to moderate a forum, at least from an adult POV. So if I don't like something I've seen I'm not entitled to express my opinion? What kind of logic is that?

And here is where I stop. I'm not gonna share my thoughts until I see the full movie.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:58 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:something I've seen
That's the sticking point here, since all but a few of us have only seen disjointed fragments of Final.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:05 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
View Original PostJäeger#916508 wrote:something I've seen
That's the sticking point here, since all but a few of us have only seen disjointed fragments of Final.

And you're right. So I'll wait until that moment.

Still, that attitude "If you don't like it, you're opinion is not valid (so we only get positive opinions), because Anno is untouchable"...no, seriously, no. It's a deeper and bigger problem than you think.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:11 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That's the sticking point here, since all but a few of us have only seen disjointed fragments of Final.

To be fair, I think we know most of the story.

The visual aspect could change some impressions. For example, I feel more when I see the camrip about Rei Q death.

However, if your main issue are the resolutions to the story, that won't change regardless the visuales.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:43 am

I am temporarily locking this thread. There’s a growing list of people on this forum who’ve seen the full film in Japan, and they haven’t contributed to this thread at all. Seeing as how they would be the only ones qualified to debate this matter, and they have not seen fit to contribute, we are locking the thread for the time being.

- FFF4e

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”