3.0 + 1.0 Reactions

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: 3.0 + 1.0 Reactions

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:58 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:
SPOILER: Show
@ Archer, you captured a lot of what I feel.

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch#928983 wrote:I'm really disconnected from all the supposedly horrible shit supposedly happening at all times, I don't watch the news and loathe social media, so I certainly don't feel the same way you guys do [which I will say says a lot about how "horrible" things are if they don't actually effect your life unless you're constantly being fear-mongered to by the news]. So I'm curious, do you think the movie would have been better received if it had come out a couple years ago [cough if Anno weren't a perfectionist to the point it drives his entire crew insane cough] and was exactly the same movie, simply released before your "end times"?

The thing is, the film is well-received, it has high ratings from general audiences. It being "timely" is another matter, and kind of a subjective one. I think the difference felt by some is that while EoE was something that has held up tremendously well and works as a time capsule for the zeitgeist at the time, Shin seems liable to be more like a flavor of the month that doesn't end up with the same legacy. And I'm not going to pretend I'm certain of that or anything. If it had come out a few years ago, it might have been less well-received by general audiences, actually. Perhaps a lot of positive reactions are based on a need for straightforward positivity in contrast to reality. I don't blame anyone who needs that from narrative media. But to me and some others, this makes it more like escapism than what Eva typically goes for, and that's how it's not being well-received, and to be clear, by what seems like is probably a minority of the audience overall, even though it seems like 50% of EGF.

Oh, that makes sense! Apologies if I came off like a dick in my previous message, a combination of being tired at the time I typed it and also being exhausted of said horrible shit. So I have been being effected, I just didn't realize how.
I remember seeing that one cardboard youtuber making a video on how EoE is all about "any escapism is bad, full stop", which I never actually believed and I know he was wrong. If Anno himself did feel that way at the time, I'm glad he's matured more out of it. You can tell Anno encourages temporary escapism, letting your mind rest, from everything that goes down in Village 3. It's a sanctuary, you can't spend forever there because the problems you face, the Wanderers and slowly failing Hex Pillars in this case, will eventually come to bite you in the ass. BUT, you can rest for a little while. And doing so helps Shinji to recover from his trauma, and become ready to go back into the fight.

Don't quote an entire post. Trim it down to the relevant bit you’re addressing. - JoelcrNeto
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:22 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:Shin seems liable to be more like a flavor of the month that doesn't end up with the same legacy.

Minor gripe that I can see dating (i.e. giving away its age) the film were the smartphone-like devices the WILLE crew was using.

There's some meta-irony in smaller-in-scale-but-still-horrible events affecting the original series on a narrative level (e.g. the subway gas attack, others outlined in the making-of documentary), but a globally horrific event seems to have only affected 3.0+1.0 on a production-and-release level.
i want rebuild

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:04 pm

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:Minor gripe that I can see dating (i.e. giving away its age) the film were the smartphone-like devices the WILLE crew was using.

That's one thing that's helped NGE age really well- all the characters are using 90s tech, Shinji with an SDAT player, Asuka, Toji, and Kensuke all seen playing SEGA Saturn at one point, Misato having given Shinji a 90s ass flip phone that probably uses satellite, but it all makes sense in NGE's 2015. The Second Impact happened in 2000, so of course recreational tech, and a lot of tech in general, would stagnate in progression and stop production, because people were focused on survival for like 7-10 years after 2I.
In NTE, you still see a bit of this, with Asuka's Wonderswan she seems to play nearly constantly for 14 years, but I definitely think it would have taken far more time and resources than were available, to build that water restoration plant in 2.0. I don't mind the tech in NTE's 2028 because it's sort of a rule that technology advances at an exponential pace, so if researchers could build a plant that managed to restore livability to a dead ocean in 2015, I have no doubts that the resistance of 2028 could have developed handheld multi use devices. Especially with the massive stolen NHG Buβe [WUNDER] filled with ancient tech to reverse engineer [another Nadia reference. if this were 2011 I would type "SQUEEEE" here]

"What if Evangleion still on TV?"
"Msato get iPad"
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

tronnytron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tronnytron » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:04 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:And yeah, I quite agree; Shin really feels like the capstone to Eva, after I've finished it I've had an overwhelming feeling of being at peace with the franchise as a whole; to the point where I debated with myself if I even wanted to post about it on here, because ultimately, the movie pretty much said everything there is to say about it to me, it really hammered home just how pointless and petty a lot of the arguments about Eva are, especially those to the tune of shipping, if NTE can stand on its own, etc. At the end of the day, we're all here because we like Eva, endless infighting about what is the "right" way to like Eva does nothing but add to the endless amount of toxicity online; if nothing else, this reminder is one of my biggest takeaways from Shin, and one that I will be quite grateful for for a long time.

Yeah, I absolutely agree. I almost felt bad looking up analysis videos after finishing it because it kinda felt against the point. The end of the movie gave the feeling of moving on from not only there being new Eva movies, but also moving on from Eva in general.

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:I remember seeing that one cardboard youtuber making a video on how EoE is all about "any escapism is bad, full stop", which I never actually believed and I know he was wrong. If Anno himself did feel that way at the time, I'm glad he's matured more out of it. You can tell Anno encourages temporary escapism, letting your mind rest, from everything that goes down in Village 3.

I felt like even End of Evangelion had the idea of temporary escapism not being such a harmful thing. Not sure why but thats the vibe i get, ya know? But its a sentiment I agree with. I dealt with a lot of issues surrounding escapism throughout my time in middle and high school, something I'm only really dealing with now. But you also lose something if you only spend time in reality. That small amount of dreams, fiction and the imaginary brings a good deal of creativity and even clarity. But overly indulging in this can make you almost lose your humanity in a way.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:07 am

Well that was certainly a roller coaster ride. I was gonna say a "roller-coaster of emotions", but frankly although I am emotionally affected by the movie, it isn't in the way I'd hoped (extreme bittersweet happiness/sadness).

Rather, I'm glad Anno was able to finish, and I get the emotional point of having Shinji move on from Rei/Asuka, but to me I didn't feel Mari swooping in out of nowhere was satisfying. I guess like Anno said she really did exist to "destroy Evangelion" so I guess I respect that.

I'm glad that they basically confirmed sequel/multiverse theory though so I can pretend Eva Re-Take is canon in another repetition. On that note I might as well add my take on the whole repetition/multiverse theory (warning, lots of baseless ideas but they sounded good when I wrote them haha):

IMO, the closest thing we can take as a logical/physical/lore based explanation of what happened is that there are Infinity universe of Evangelion that preceded (and effectively followed) Rebuild's world. Neon Genesis Evangelion (the original TV show, ending with a fusion of EoE+EoTV) was one such universe, potentially the first, as Kaworu does not ever hint anything about an infinite loop, and seems only compelled by his natural Angel instincts to live as a perfect being, yet realizes he'd rather have Shinji and humanity live on so allows Shinji to kill him.

Kaji in 3+1 said Adam wrote Shinji into the book of life, so similarly to how original Rei/Lilith/GNR became a quantum being, observing the beginning and end of the original world (vision of Rei at the beginning is the same as the vision of her over the red sea at the end), I believe this event equally transformed Kaworu/Adam into a more divine being that surpassed universes and time (note also that Quantum Rei observes Rei Q (provisional name) at the Nerv ruins at the lake (and in her LCL tank in 3.33), so it seems she's indeed able to exist in all worlds).

So anyways it seems Kaworu set the repetition in motion by writing Shinji and his roles into fate, and trying to reach Shinji's "true happiness". It's only until Shinji shows him he doesn't need Kaworu's help and Shinji has reached a similarly level of multiversal power that Shinji can free Kaworu from his repeating cycle, "breaking" infinity and setting it back to zero. Kaworu didn't realize the repetition was futile until that moment, and so seems to be sent back to the post N3I world (since Kaji suggests he try gardening with Kaji Jr.) with Rei and Asuka.

From this point, imo only Gendo, Yui, Shinji and Mari are left in the negative universe (Gendo=Shinji, Yui=Mari in terms of the way the latter changed/will change the former). Gendo and Yui stay behind to destroy the Evas of the outside world by destroying their concepts in the negative universe, while Shinji leaves Unit 01 and accepts his fate of non-existence with them. Mari has other plans though and saves him from non-existence by being another person he can define and recognize his self in the presence of, literally "bringing color to his life" (like how Gendo said Yui changed him).

Mari, a total outsider to the prior cycles/stories (except for a hint in the manga) represents how Moyoco Anno changed Hideaki's world view and helped him move on from Evangelion before (and now for the final time). Specifically because she has none of the prior baggage of Rei/Asuka and simply is a positive force in his life, without caring about his past and only caring about the fact that he's someone she wants to save.

This is another point (like with the Kaworu speculation above) that I'm maybe going to deviate from other interpretations, but what the heck.

So from here my personal take is that Shinji and Mari make the final world, as they've removed all gods/angels/Evas and so there's no going back at this point. All infinite universes that persisted before are not erased, as Shinji says he doesn't plan to go back in time, and resetting that world would erase the efforts and work of the survivors of N3I and the world they fought to protect. Instead, Shinji and Mari are going to create a new world that exists divorced from the others aside form having relatively the same people written into the final book of life (why Rei, Kaworu and Asuka are at the train station).

This new world may take the place of the anti universe, transforming the world of imagination inside Evangelion's multiverse into a concrete thing and permanently destroying the power of gods, or it may step outside of even that and create a world outside of even that paradigm.

But the bottom line is imo we are meant to believe they created our world, specifically apparently a world based on Hideaki Anno (the ultimate god of Eva's) memories (because apparently it's his hometown, with many buildings that existed in his childhood but were torn down since then).

This manifestation of nostalgia is much like how the negative universe manifests itself as individual perceptions based on memories (much like how creativity itself is really the act of remixing personal experiences into a concrete permutation of those memories).

In the real world, Shinji, Rei, Asuka, Kaworu and Mari all were born and existed up until this moment of time, and Shinji finally wakes up to his original memories, now finally synchronized with his old self. Mari and him flirt a bit and she takes the final burden of godhood/Evangelion off of his neck (the DSS choker, which is now more of just a symbol of Shinji's pain and the past than an actual device ie. this world's Shinji wasn't born with it).

Now free from Eva, Mari/Moyoco and Shinji/Anno run off, hand in hand, ready to live their new lives in a world without Evangelions. Setting this final scene in a nostalgic memory of Anno's hometown is also a way to indicate to the audience that Anno is leaving Evangelion in the past, that it will always be a part of him, but as far as he's concerned it's a beautiful piece of his life that he can never return to (nor does he need to, as he has grown up like Shinji to move on from needing fantasy to cope).

The message to the audience is to move on from Evangelion, be true to your feelings to not just yourself but others (all conflicts ultimately were resolved by Shinji communicating with everyone and finishing business with them), and finally, live free in the real world.

After having written that all out, I'll say that appreciate it more than I did before I began writing it, but I've still got some mixed feelings about it (again, regarding that I can't connect to the Shinji x Mari relationship, since it is literally designed such that we can't imo).

Overall I think one of the bigger weaknesses is that we never really see what prompted Shinji to change, aside from everyone being nicer to him than before and getting a vision from Kaworu. For a movie that follows 3.0, which infamously sacrificed almost everything to focus on Shinji, 3.0+1.0 feels oddly devoid of personal development for Shinji, or rather development happens, but we don't see exactly why.

I suppose Anno felt he'd already covered that subject to death in EoTV and EoE, but considering Shinji explicitly became able to save others and not just himself this time (quoting Anno), it seems like a major missed opportunity to show the audience what specifically changed him. Perhaps it is as simple as more people telling him that they liked him (in the original cycle only Kaworu did, but this time Kaworu, Rei Q and Asuka affirmed that his existence was valid and they liked him before his ultimate change). Perhaps we're supposed to read in that that really was all it took to change him, and perhaps that could be all it takes for us.

I guess that's as good a place as any to end this. Thank you for reading this essay, and I hope that, from one Eva fan to another, I helped whoever you are come to terms with and reach your own conclusion on Evangelion. Good morning. Good night. Thank you. Goodbye. (Let's see each other again.)

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:56 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:Apologies if I came off like a dick in my previous message, a combination of being tired at the time I typed it and also being exhausted of said horrible shit. So I have been being effected, I just didn't realize how.

No worries, I was just springboarding off your post with the things it made me think. And believe me, I can understand the frustration and impatience.

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:I remember seeing that one cardboard youtuber making a video on how EoE is all about "any escapism is bad, full stop", which I never actually believed and I know he was wrong. If Anno himself did feel that way at the time, I'm glad he's matured more out of it. You can tell Anno encourages temporary escapism, letting your mind rest, from everything that goes down in Village 3. It's a sanctuary, you can't spend forever there because the problems you face, the Wanderers and slowly failing Hex Pillars in this case, will eventually come to bite you in the ass. BUT, you can rest for a little while. And doing so helps Shinji to recover from his trauma, and become ready to go back into the fight.

Oh for sure, I don't think Eva was ever strictly "anti-escapism" in the sense many people argue. There's plenty of Anno quotes about that misinterpretation, because it's so widespread, to the point he's had to say "no, it's not about never running away, running away can be good." And the topic becomes pretty abstract because "escapist" can mean so many things. For instance, I don't think escapism is just "having fun" but more like "non-reality," which can include things that may not initially seem like the word "escapist" fits. I think being pessimistic or nihilistic can be said to be "escapist" if it's some kind of unhealthy detachment or delusion or indulgence that clashes with a more neutral baseline truth, for instance. And like you say, it's not so much escape but the frequency and reasoning for it that's the issue.

When I say "more escapist" I mean that the pendulum for me swung too far in one direction, in the entertainment media sense; I would have preferred a work that was less fixated on mech fights and fanservice than what we got because I feel like it undermines or even contradicts the themes. NGE/EoE seemed like it prioritized its themes above everything else, and I appreciated for instance that the climax wasn't half action scenes and that action disappears in large portions of the narrative throughout the entire run. NTE's themes seem well-intended, but I don't think their execution led to a worthwhile product that justified itself as compared to any novel or film that stays truer to being dedicated explorations of ideas per word and minute. And as someone who does like action scenes, I just didn't like the choreography, which is almost a worse offense.
Après moi le déluge!

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:12 pm

After thinking on it one of the things that really bugged was how several characters got hit with the idiot ball and subsequently developed brain worms from it, as it's the only thing i can think to explain away some serious amount of PIS that i saw.

Of course i'm talking about "it's a dual entry system" and everything that led to that moment. It requires not one or two but 4 characters to just straight up forget they have brain, 4 characters whose competency i'd not question before and astounded how it all came together.

Asuka. Lets start with the one that said the line. Not only was she present when Shinji piloted unit-13 but she was also there when the DSS choker identified an angel and it activated in order to prevent an impact. The sheer lack of intelligence gathering by Asuka as a self proclaimed protector and pilot is staggering, hell even Touji showed more interest in what happened to Shinji during his stay at Nerv.

Mari. By far the worse offender in this, not only did she have the same information as Asuka but she even points out how Shinji was SEELEs backup....backup to whom??? Not only that, she's the one that ejected Shinjis entry plug, did she not notice the offset entry plug? I mean if it turned out that the reason Mari remained quiet about everything was because she wanted Asuka to be absorbed cause she knew she'd eventually be rescued and freed from her torment it'd be one thing, but the movie plays it straight.

Misato. The brilliant person that came up with plans to defeat angels time after time, who commanded and kept not just Willie but humanity itself afloat for 14 years, she never thought to find out what happened to Shinji while he stayed at Nerv? She knew of the choker activation, she knew Shinji was the one piloting it, she knew something went down in Nerv and despite knowing all that, she did nothing. Her entire strategy hinged on shutting down Unit-13, but finding some info on it by interrogating the one person who used it proved too difficult??

Ritsuko. Had all the information Misato had yet she never thought that maybe trying to get something from Shinji, even if it turned out insignificant, was needed. She's Misatos right hand and the more pragmatic of the two yet nothing.

I honestly thought i was just nitpicking when it first dawned on me, but the more i think about it the less it made sense, it's like massive amount of PIS was needed in order to make the plot advance so if characters needed brain worms for it to proceed then so be it.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:42 am

I was visiting my maternal grandparents and missed Shin's release (their summer place doesn't have Wi-Fi, either) and when I returned to my own home on the 15th, I still wished to watch the three first movies before watching Shin, so I really only watched it yesterday.

I...liked it very much and think it was great, but there's a few things I'm not quite certain about and I feel like I need to think about it some more, maybe even rewatch it to get a better understanding of it. I think the film's a wonderful personal statement by Anno and an exciting way of ending his involvement with Eva and I love how it does that through a more consciously and obviously happy ending that features meta-references. The film calls back to many things about EoE, but this time through a positive light i.e. Ritsuko shooting Gendo-the darker aspects of EoE are mitigated as a way of giving the characters hope and pushing them further towards good things. The themes of the necessity for a compromise between individual and collective existence, the greatness of connecting with others and finding your own meaning, dealing with reality as it is and embracing it, understanding the past, horrible things done by a mixture of selfishness and low self-esteem, individual desires, miscommunication etc are wonderfully continued and elaborated on. The meta-themes of NGE and its future are continued by directly embracing and pointing out Eva's nature as fiction and presenting an escape from fiction into reality, with Anno bringing in his own experience with Eva to do so, seemingly discussing also his own incapability to let it go. The lore and technobabble is a bunch of mumbo-jumbo that's more symbolic and metaphorical than anything else, Mari is straight-out pure chaos meant to act as a way of pointing out Eva's fictionality, Gendo's past actually works wonderfully, Asuka becomes the in-depth character everyone wanted her to be, Kaworu's motivations are revealed to indeed have been selfish. The animation is gorgeous, the village scenes are marvelous, the film actively works to point out its reality, deliberately inducing weird, off-the-cuff elements to do so-the photorealistic Lilith, over-the-top action scenes spent fighting headless creatures (possibly metaphors for the lack of uniqueness and a "face" in most franchise works and the people so intent on using them as ways of finding meaning to the exclosure of all else). Even the opening action scene kinda makes ultimate sense, as it's directly followed by something very simple, slow and meaningful, by Rei Q and Shinji finding some purpose and meaning in a village populated by people who already have that. It's almost like the opening is, well, what it is because it makes what follows directly even more meaningful-the stupid blockbuster action is followed by moments of genuine reflection in a simple world without consistent distractions from reality.

There are things, however, that I'm less certain on-the fanservice is at times especially weird and I'm honestly not sure how much of that actually has an in-universe thematic justification and how much it doesn't. (Worst examples are Sakura's butt gracing the audience during what's supposed to be one of the film's most serious scenes and Asuka's torn plugsuit during the beach scene, which while thematically meaningful, still comes off glossy, wrong and somewhat perverted.) I'm kinda miffed by how Shinji supposedly just did what he wanted during the ending, because obviously everyone's alright with it? And him becoming so stable and intelligent so quickly sort of was weird. The scene where Misato takes the bullet for Shinji seemed to me to be treating Shinji a bit too well and while I think her actions are logical, Misato came off as being a bit too "for" Shinji as a character at the end.

Maybe those flaws aren't actually flaws, maybe they're also meant to, say, showcase in a way the weirdness and impossibility of the desires people have. Maybe the film's both a statement that embraces its own fiction and a more normal Eva work as a showcase of the silliness of escapism. After all, most everyone in the film seems to understand themselves and be intent on living-even Misato still also did what she did for her own son too. That said, Asuka didn't come off as understanding herself that well. [Edit: Meant Poka-Poka Rei here, though for her importance, Asuka's lack of a truly positive progress at the end compared to the other characters is kind of "hm", too.] But I don't know.

I did like the film considerably and I can safely say that NTE is a justified continuation of EoE.

Edit 2: I've changed my mind about Asuka's lack of progress-while she doesn't show as much immediate moving on as some characters, she still understands herself and admits her deepest wish.
Last edited by Zusuchan on Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:25 pm

I'm gonna do my 3rd viewing tonight before posting my thoughts. But after the first viewing I didn't like it.

EDIT - finally have some time in my life to post some more thoughts:

I thought the movie did not use the long run time wisely. There are so many questions from the first two films left unanswered and even more from the third film - but instead I felt this movie introduced even more questions. I guess the 15 year wait isn't worth it for anything, no movie or game or any piece of entertainment can live up to such a long wait. I found it especially frustrating how the movie disregards the prior film's themes about not redoing what has been done and introduces "magical fix everything" solutions.

What is the curse of Eva, it seems all pilots are fucked up in some way that prevents them from aging with eva having nothing to do with it (hence this concept does not even really exist), Mari's purpose was never revealed, whatever happened between movie two and three is still largely a mystery, the sequel theory confirmation unfortunately felt rushed and cheesy, certain dub voice miscasts like Hyuga and Kaji and Mari bothered me a lot, the "next time previews" were dubbed with much less hype/enthusiasm and inconsistent terminology, tons of dub inconsistencies across the four films, the ugly CGI realistic Rei was comical in its absurdity, there wasn't a final fight with Eva 1 (the acid trip sequence does not count), and the ending about resetting the world felt cheap and confusing in many ways as well.

I have enough complaints and specific examples to write 50 pages on all my issues with the rebuild collection, but I think I'll leave it alone. It was a fun journey from the late 2000s to the early 2020s and I'm glad it's over. Though it's a shame the finale wasn't nearly as impactful as NGE or EoE.
Last edited by Stan on Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:41 pm

I don't know how I feel. I didn't hate it and got emotionally invested, but I feel my thoughts are clouded by the emotion that EVA is over. It's bittersweet.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:59 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:I...liked it very much and think it was great, but there's a few things I'm not quite certain about and I feel like I need to think about it some more, maybe even rewatch it to get a better understanding of it. [...]

Very well articulated (as usual), I agree with pretty much all of what you said. There's just so much there to analyze and think about with this film that it's almost overwhelming - in a sense, I'm glad that's the case, but it also makes it hard to form a coherent opinion on it. There's a lot to love, but there are also just enough questionable elements to put everything in doubt. In that way, Shin is the most fitting capstone to Rebuild I could think of; for as much as NTE is proclaimed a more "simplistic" work than NGE (an assertion I don't necessarily disagree with), I've always found it a much harder series to critically assess.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:59 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:somewhat perverted.) I'm kinda miffed by how Shinji supposedly just did what he wanted during the ending, because obviously everyone's alright with it?

To me, the implication was that creating an Eva-free world was a necessity more than a desire. A world with them (and the possibility of instrumentality) inevitably ends with the destruction of humanity.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:03 pm

baldur wrote:Very well articulated (as usual), I agree with pretty much all of what you said.

A-arigato...(honestly can't say I'm good at articulating, though).

I agree re: NTE being harder to assess-I think part of that is also due to how it's not really simplistic (its themes are so closely interconnected and tied to each other that they're very hard to separate, in turn making it harder to make sense of my ideas and analyze them. It doesn't help that many of the bigger themes tend to be rather heady, i.e exploration/examination of Eva's impact and nature, humanity's relationship to fiction and not just fiction in the "made-up narrativial work of art" way, desires, connections). Even at the worst, NTE would still probably be only flawed-not even "just good". And it's certainly a very fascinating work, even if it also has stuff like the Asuka's underwear shot in Ha or the fucking cat-Eva-then again, maybe they're actually showcases of Anno's genius!

Warren Peace wrote: To me, the implication was that creating an Eva-free world was a necessity more than a desire. A world with them (and the possibility of instrumentality) inevitably ends with the destruction of humanity.

I meant more in the sense that Shinji, while doing what is right and what everyone agrees with, comes off as not really asking for others' opinions on the matter that much, like he knows/expects them to be fine with it. Which they are, but it still comes off a bit weirdly, especially since the necessity of good communication is an important NTE theme. I do consider the final scene to also be the endgame of the film examining and understanding its own nature as fiction, as it's the film encouraging the audience to face reality by showing Shinji-as-basically-Anno-now doing so with the very characterization of reality, Mari itself (who indeed is not a "realistic" character and honestly I feel that's probably part of the point), and I have no idea which parts in the anti-universe preceding it are actually also narrative and which are just completely meta, so idk.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:58 pm

Re: Shinji's actions in the final act - Rebuild as a whole is a lot more focused on metanarrative than NGE ever was, and 3.0+1.0 is the clearest example of this yet. It's one of those things I'm conflicted on, because the meta subtext of the finale is very good but it's taken to such a point where it barely makes sense in the context of this world and its characters.

I get that the village sequence was character development for Shinji, but his actions indicate such a radical transformation from his character as it's been defined throughout the entire franchise that it comes off as rather unrealistic to say the least. Shinji just goes from (arguably) the lowest point he's ever been depicted as being at, straight to the most altruistic and self-aware version of himself?

But it also feels like I maybe shouldn't even care, because the whole point of Rebuild, to me, is the metanarrative first and foremost - without it, Rebuild just isn't worth very much. I like 2.0, despite feeling that on a surface level it's not a particularly good story, because I enjoy how it contributes to the overall metanarrative. Same with Mari - on the surface level, she's an uninteresting character, but thematically and metatextually, there's much more to her. So why should I care that the final act isn't wholly believable on a surface level reading? I guess what might be bothering me is that while I've always felt that Rebuild isn't particularly interesting when stripped of its metanarrative, it's also never really felt internally inconsistent to me the way 3.0+1.0's final act does.

jedi_spectre1
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jedi_spectre1 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:59 pm

After watching it three times and digesting it for awhile, I can't run away from my honest opinion. I didn't vibe with this film and that makes me pretty sad. I wanted to love this movie. I wanted to cry and feel a sense of closure for this era of Evangelion. But it just didn't do that for me. Its a bit hard for me to explain in words my feelings. I'm jealous of all of the people who loved the movie. I wish I could. I really want to, but I can't.

The characters are one of the main draws of Evangelion and they aren't horrible in the movie. I feel satisfied enough, but I wish they interreacted a bit more and some had more scenes. The village section is my favorite part of the film because its pretty much just chilling with the characters and getting Shinji back up and running. I love Rei Q, but am also kind of disappointed in her character arc. I like her it, but it is pretty much accelerated Rei II. They play lip service to her being able to be different, but I don't feel that she ever truly becomes someone new. I wish they would of gave her a completely new name and made her deviate from Rei II more radically. Speaking of Rei II, I feel she got shafted, unless you view her and Rei Q as sort of the same person. She pretty much is just there. I wish we would of got more from the non-Gendo instrumentality segments. Gendo's goes on for a long time, but all the other characters feel rushed off. I do enjoy the Gendo segment, but I feel it works better with NGE Gendo. With Rebuild Gendo, it feels a bit weird. Rebuild Gendo is a complete monster and has killed millions of people, so I feel a bit mixed on him just realizing his mistakes so easily. Maybe the Blu Ray will extend these segments, but I doubt it. I honestly didn't care for any of the Wille members besides Misato. What is Ritsuko's character even after 2.0? Any interesting stuff she had going on is abandoned and she is pretty much just a stoic, harsher second in command. I guess she had some level of relationship in Rebuild with Gendo? She says something to that effect. All the character arcs are fine, nothing blew me away, it just seemed alright. That is my main issue. It all just mostly felt fine. Nothing really blew me away for any of them. I wanted to cheer and be hyped when Shinji finally became a calm, mature character, but it just felt pretty base line. I mean, yeah its cool, but it just didn't feel that impressive.

The plot is overall just complete nonsense, but to be honest, Evangelion's plot has never been, to me, its strongest point. My only criticism of the plot and dialogue is the extreme amounts of techno-babble. I usually love techno-babble, but it just felt a bit too much. Some lines also felt a bit weird, but I will guess that is probably some translation stuff going on.

I feel the love and hard work that Anno and staff put into the movie. I see all the easter eggs, call backs, and parallels to what has come before in the franchise that was probably meant to be a treat to the fans and provide a sense of finality. But it just didn't click with me. I find them interesting, but emotionally, it just didn't really land.

I found all the action scenes besides the Unit 01 vs Unit 13 fight to be utterly horrible, and Unit 01 vs 13 is only interesting due to the emotions and characters, the actual action is awful. I understand what they were going for, but that CGI is just terrible. The scene of Asuka and Mari fighting down to Nerv HQ is just so bad, in my opinion. What are the Mark.07s even doing? Are they even trying to stop them? Them all swarming together to make a drill was stupid. What happened to the time limits on the Evas? Did they mention them at all, or reference them visually? I understand Unit 01 and 13 being that way and Unit 08 after eating the Adams' Vessels, but what about before? I mean, most of this is nitpicks, but I always loved the more grounded, for lack of a better term, "realistic" take of NGE. I loved that in NGE and EOE, the Evangelions had limits and weren't able to do anything. It literally feels like Anima at times. The dumb AT Field dog monster that Mari makes is pretty much the stupid AT Field animals from Anima.

I know this is probably all incomprehensible and all over the place. Overall, I don't find the movie bad, I would say its a solid film, with some great animation and music, but it just feels flat to me. I don't honestly know what I would do differently, but I just feel there were things that could of made this movie a lot better. Either way, I am happy so many found the closure and joy from this movie that I wished to have. I have tried to love the movie, I just can't. Overall though, I am happy that this chapter of Eva has ended. I'm sure Evangelion will continue in some form, so I am excited to see what new manga, light novels, games, and maybe even new shows and films, now that this period has ended.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:55 am

I feel ya both on this, Baldur and jedi_spectre1.

My perspective has been hovering around for the past almost week since I watched it and my initial reaction was something like yours right now. But then I came around to some other parts of it. But now I'm questioning that take. It's all very confusing, and frankly distressing that I sometimes feel like I am trying to convince myself to like it more than liking it.

There are undeniably good parts to the film. But the bottom line is that, for a series of movies that originally aimed to tell a more coherent story than the original, it ironically failed quite spectacularly, at that specific goal at least.

Which is strange, because even though 3.0's hyper focus on Shinji was controversial, I applauded it for its bold commitment to exploring his point of view and thoughts in a new way than before. But then what is so strange is that 3.0+1.0 essentially swings completely in the opposite direction, barely focusing on Shinji at all, but rather using him as a plot device to achieve the goal of Anno (end Evangelion for good this time).

I think one can read into what happens and come to a reasonable explanation of Shinji's internal development and shift, but for the audience to have to do so much heavy lifting is very strange indeed, considering he is literally the main character of the series, and despite all the reasonable foibles people have with the prior endings for abandoning the plot or seeming too dark, they always focused ultimately on Shinji. Who he is, what he wants, how he changes and how he reaches those changes.

This almost didn't seem like the end of 3.0 Shinji, but instead seemed a bit more like he faded away than anything else, leaving use with Anno insert Shinji, which is really too bad.

Showing Shinji's conversation with Kaji Jr., having actual time between him and Misato, more time between him and Touji or Kensuke. Or hey, having him farm with Rei Q. All of these things would have allowed him to develop on screen more, rather than reach most of his epiphanies/changes off screen.

One can say he'd already risen up and done the right thing, fighting for others in 1.0 and 2.0 (in 3.0 he is doing it out of desperation), but really, I think from a certain point of view, this selfless Shinji in 3.0+1.0 didn't really run back to Unit 01 in 2.0 to pilot it purely to save everyone. Remember that he went berserk and ultimately forsook the world to get Ayanami back. While he seemingly came back without that specific plan in mind, it could easily be said that he at least went for revenge considering his bloodlust even before going berserk. Which, hey, whatever will get you in the pilot seat Shinji, I'm not arguing against you fighting for yourself, but I'm just not seeing you doing that in 3.0+1.0, it really seems more like you're fighting for others.

Eh. Ultimately, risking the chance of weakening my argument, I'm not sure I'd agree with that last last point I made. I do think those saying "he already got his determination in 2.0" to handwave his willingness in 3.0+1.0 are missing some of the point of the audience missing his recovery in this film, but whatever. Like I said my opinion fluctuates.

But when all is said and done, for a movie that's 2 and a half hours and filled with crazy action, it really seems like it misses so many opportunities to explore the one thing that matters most.

Shinji.

Edit:
Also, lol. I originally came here to post about how 3.0's soundtrack is literally addicting and once I started listening to one track (because someone in the "rank NTE" thread said they didn't like the duet songs :um:), I just HAD to listen to the rest. In comparison, 3.0+1.0's OST is very good, but lacking in some way that vibe. I just doesn't go quite far enough.

3.0 delivers (in all aspects but OST especially) just such a sense of beauty, tranquility, fierce defiance, grand terror, existential dread and almost religious awe ("From Beethoven 9" just hits so hard in this), that in some ways 3.0+1.0 seems to lack unfortunately. Maybe Shiro Sagisu couldn't make as much sense of the middle action set pieces as he could in 3.0, but they don't work quite as well here. "This is the dream" is very good, but it still feels like it doesn't quite hit enough of a satisfying crescendo/climax.

Edit 2.22:
I think one way the ending could have really hit more is that I see the meta point of Shinji erasing Evangelions (Anno is putting the series behind him and trying make it for real this time), but the non-metal reason is somewhat lacking. In terms of Shinji himself, there imo should have been some responsibility for the continuing loops on Shinji's part, like for example what if EoE Shinji started the loop instead of EoE Kaworu (my interperpretation). Therefore, in 3+1 his choice to rid the world of Evas and restore the Earth at the cost of his life would have a bit more meaning, as it would be fixing a mistake he was responsible for and atoning for his sins in a more meaningful and grand way than he even tried to in 3.0.

I like the idea Kaworu started the loops to try to make Shinji happy, but ultimately didn't realize Shinji needed to make himself happy. I actually really like that idea. I'm just saying that Shinji doesn't have a strong internal need to abandon Eva, only Anno does.

I think we're supposed to go with the idea that Evangelions, for all of the horrors they've brought upon Shinji, are also still a source of self validation and comfort, since they tie him down. Kind of like how Rei said in the beginning, "it's a bond to this world and these people". By casting them aside entirely he is cutting all ties to everyone else.

But even so, there's still some disconnect between his need to cut ties to Evangelions and move past his desire for validation through them, and Anno's own. Mostly because there could have really been a lot more put into that idea in the film itself.

Again, as I said before the audience has to do some heavy lifting.

That said, I am thinking once again that my 2nd take (the general meta-textual realization about the need to move past his external validation super mechs), is pretty accurate, and has some interesting meaning in the text itself.

I hope I will settle closer to my desired "best Eva ever" impression in the end, but I've just got to follow my real feelings here, and they definitely go up and down a lot. Maybe it is just the familiarity with the old material, but all this might be why I ironically think of EoTV and EoE as being "cleaner" than 3+1.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:56 pm

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:Which is strange, because even though 3.0's hyper focus on Shinji was controversial, I applauded it for its bold commitment to exploring his point of view and thoughts in a new way than before. But then what is so strange is that 3.0+1.0 essentially swings completely in the opposite direction, barely focusing on Shinji at all, but rather using him as a plot device to achieve the goal of Anno (end Evangelion for good this time).

Curiously, a criticism I read is that the movie is too Shinji-centric, since Shinji solves everything and restore Earth.

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:I like the idea Kaworu started the loops to try to make Shinji happy, but ultimately didn't realize Shinji needed to make himself happy. I actually really like that idea. I'm just saying that Shinji doesn't have a strong internal need to abandon Eva, only Anno does.

I think we're supposed to go with the idea that Evangelions, for all of the horrors they've brought upon Shinji, are also still a source of self validation and comfort, since they tie him down. Kind of like how Rei said in the beginning, "it's a bond to this world and these people". By casting them aside entirely he is cutting all ties to everyone else.

It isn't mentioned that Kaworu started the loop, we only know he wrote Shinji's name in the book of life.

That said, I don't think it takes so much heavy lifting to understan Shinji. The point seems to be that this time Shinji has received more kindness from the people in Village-3 and he just want to help them. This is different from 3.33, where he just wanted to escape from guilt and pain (or, even 2.22, where his motivations would be considered "selfish").

The Evangelion has caused pain to everyone. So, Shinji will erase these.

T. K. Simon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby T. K. Simon » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:21 pm

Shin is the best rebuild movie (the second is 2.0) in my opinion. 155 minutes well used, the film leaves the most famous theory of fandom ambiguous, something that anno usually does often, something that I admire about his work

Regarding the character development, it was well done, especially Shinji (obvious), and Rei was given a very good characterization
Asuka had a leading role, but I didn't feel it as much as the other 2

the end (in my opinion goal) is simply spectacular, anno telling us that he leaves Eva (although he will surely return in a few years)

And remember this guys:

2.0: RIP Reishin
3.0: RIP Kawoshin
3.0 + 1.0: RIP Asushin
:devil:

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:31 pm

View Original Postjedi_spectre1 wrote:After watching it three times and digesting it for awhile, I can't run away from my honest opinion. I didn't vibe with this film and that makes me pretty sad. I wanted to love this movie. I wanted to cry and feel a sense of closure for this era of Evangelion. But it just didn't do that for me. Its a bit hard for me to explain in words my feelings. I'm jealous of all of the people who loved the movie. I wish I could. I really want to, but I can't.

You are not alone.
Après moi le déluge!

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:49 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:You are not alone.

(not)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”