Shin Eva leak general

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
os189
Lilith

Re: Shin Eva leak general

Postby os189 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:04 pm

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:
But, doesnt Shinji tell her to say hello to Kensuke or something like that when they say goodbye?

Yeah....but that was on the beach. That was in some..."other" place. It was also after she died.

We get a flash of Quantum Rei again too....doesn't mean she's alive either.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:05 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Three new articles from today.
If anything the Kawoshin meltdown has been far larger than the Asushin one, though so far the only suicide attempt I'm aware of was in the latter camp.

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:I am really, really torn between being annoyed on how BAD google translate is with Japanese and being amused on how funny the results are.
OT, but the best of those I've seen to date were the YouTube auto-subtitles from the Yuru Camp special that was basically an extended commercial for Rin's new trike, where she got on it and addressed it and the subtitle was "Now show me your vagina."
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:10 pm

The film has 7.17 on MAL. I strongly suspect most of those scores are from people who haven't actually seen it at this point.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby JuanSorel » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:12 pm

View Original Postos189 wrote:
View Original PostJuanSorel#913975 wrote:
But, doesnt Shinji tell her to say hello to Kensuke or something like that when they say goodbye?

Yeah....but that was on the beach. That was in some..."other" place. It was also after she died.

But that is the thing. Why would she say that to her? If she is dead and Kensuke is alive...

I am not doubting you or anything, i haven't seen the movie. Just genuinely curious. I am clearly missing something.

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:14 pm

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:
View Original Postos189#913980 wrote:

But that is the thing. Why would she say that to her? If she is dead and Kensuke is alive...

I am not doubting you or anything, i haven't seen the movie. Just genuinely curious. I am clearly missing something.

Don't know. I mean, I suppose he could have "brought her back" like he did in EoE...after all, she was dead in that one too and still ended up on a beach.

But we don't see Kensuke at the end either, so maybe he's dead too? We just don't know. Damn movie left too much open, as usual.

illeffeqt
Embryo

Postby illeffeqt » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:18 pm

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:I am not doubting you or anything, i haven't seen the movie. Just genuinely curious. I am clearly missing something.

Part of the problem is that even people who have seen the film are still processing it and probably missed multiple “somethings” themselves.

Meanwhile the rest of the internet is making evaluations based off a poorly translated “script” which isn’t a script at all, since scripts include more than contextless dialogue.
j.

Keiji
Embryo

Postby Keiji » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:20 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:The film has 7.17 on MAL. I strongly suspect most of those scores are from people who haven't actually seen it at this point.

Of course ^^. Probably some shippers who are upset.

In Japan, the movie got 4,31/5 on Yahoo Movie Japan : https://movies.yahoo.co.jp/movie/364985/

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby JuanSorel » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:20 pm

View Original Postilleffeqt wrote:
View Original PostJuanSorel#913985 wrote:I am not doubting you or anything, i haven't seen the movie. Just genuinely curious. I am clearly missing something.

Part of the problem is that even people who have seen the film are still processing it and probably missed multiple “somethings” themselves.

It is not even only that. I remember when i was part of a book club many years ago, ten people would read the same book and the discuss it and sometimes you had to make sure everybody had actually read the same book and not some other by mistake... :tongue:

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:22 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
View Original PostFelipeFritschF#913973 wrote:Three new articles from today.
If anything the Kawoshin meltdown has been far larger than the Asushin one, though so far the only suicide attempt I'm aware of was in the latter camp.

What, you mean r/asushin on literal suicide watch? It's not just a meme?
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Smol Dream
Embryo

Postby Smol Dream » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:24 pm

I’m really curious to see the version of Joy to the World that supposedly plays in 3.0+1.0. Hopefully we get to hear it in the soundtrack when it comes out next week

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:24 pm

Between the whole Mari special chapter and the manga ending, how much did Sadamoto contribute (or leak)?

SPOILER: Show
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

illeffeqt
Embryo

Postby illeffeqt » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:24 pm

View Original Postos189 wrote:
View Original PostJuanSorel#913985 wrote:

Don't know. I mean, I suppose he could have "brought her back" like he did in EoE...after all, she was dead in that one too and still ended up on a beach.

But we don't see Kensuke at the end either, so maybe he's dead too? We just don't know. Damn movie left too much open, as usual.

I don’t have the answer either, but I’ve seen two things mentioned multiple times as part of the spoilers:

A) In the very end, Shinji travels through a doorway(?)—and only Mari follows him.

B) Earlier, elements of our Rebuild world are shown being restored somehow, with FoIs turning back into human beings and animals, etc.

Maybe part of Shinji’s “Neon Genesis” wish includes a restored world for his old friends, including a restored Asuka? If that’s truly what Neon Genesis entails, or an approximation of what’s happening in the finale.
j.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Zusuchan » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:25 pm

I'm letting everyone know I cleaned up some double-posts and huge quotes. I would like to say that:

1) Doubleposting is allowed, but only if it can be considered necessary or a significant amount of time (let's say about a week) has passed from your previous post. Since the excitement is too big for the latter to happen, doubleposting in this thread can only happen when it's necessary-but if it's not and you just want to say something new, then simply edit your previous post.

2) Huge quotes of other posts are also discouraged-simply quote the part(s) of the post most important to what you yourself are going to say.

I understand everybody's really excited at the moment and I share that feeling, but just a small bit of tidiness would be much appreciated. Thank you.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:27 pm

View Original Postos189 wrote:[quote="JuanSorel#913963#913974"I got no indication whatsoever of a romantic relationship between Asuka and Kensuke. Just two people that are very used to being around each other a lot and very comfortable with each other.

It's left open anyway (and she comes back as a clone or whatever). From what I could gather:

- Asuka strolls through Kensuke's house naked after taking a shower. She thinks the house is empty. There's a full on naked scene of her. She stumbles on Shinji, but he's still traumatized. He pukes when he sees Asuka has a DSS Choker on (called it). This irritates Asuka. Apparently, she expected him to do something. Kensuke simply shows up and throws a towel on her.

- Asuka is friendly with Kensuke and calls him "KenKen", but there's no flirting or teasing for them. Some people are comparing it with Kaji in NGE, but much milder.

- Still, you can absolutely interpret them as something more and there are vague implications for that. Taking a shower and being naked alone is of course different from being naked with someone. In fact, she's naked at Shinji, but she doesn't have her childish "eww pervert" reaction, or even a dismissive "lol brat" one. She's more like "so, are you gonna do something?" This doesn't indicate she's committed to Kensuke at all - necessarily.

So you can just interpret them as being (lol) roommates, or Asuka just crashes there sometimes. Remember how people used to argue for MariAsu along these exact same lines and at the end they were, absolutely, just roommates? Same logic here.

A certain someone (lol) put it this way:

Think of it as serious literary romance of old 19th Century novel type.

Shinji was the man she was engaged with as a youth, the one whom really was her best match, and if life didn't suck it would have worked out.
But instead due to circumstances they were separated and she had to marry the best friend of the ideal suitor, a very decent and loving guy, for whom she had no passion for initially. But with passage of time the relationship took form, affection was formed (even if it was no passionate true love thing of romantic poets), and she now has the household to run.

So when she then meets 14 years later the suitor of her youth, who has for [X] reasons remained unchanged inbetween, what you see in Q and Final is what you get.

Now of course, they aren't married or even an item, but I think you can see the analogy here. Circumstances forced them to move on.

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:29 pm

Yeah it was a bit odd hearing a Christmas song in the middle of an Evangelion movie but it sounded amazing, like all the other songs.

This soundtrack is gonna be a banger.

Others that saw it, back me up, weren't the English "folk" songs pretty good too?

And of course by now you should all have heard the full versions of One Last Kiss and Beautiful World De Capo version which play back to back during the credits.

Also, the end credits have no "lens flare" or effects on them or anything like previous movies. Just white scrolling text on a black back ground.

And then at the very very very end, white screen with the kanji for "the end" in the bottom right instead of "to be continued" and then a quick flash of the Khara logo, and it's all over.

Shit. Now I'm depressed. Maybe I will go see it again while it's still in the theaters, even though I don't wanna sit through the village scenes again.

Jehoel
Embryo

Postby Jehoel » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:32 pm

I'm seeing a lot of people discussing about the shipping, my main issue, from what i can tell, is the treatment of Asuka.

Are you telling me that after all this time, Asuka is denied a chance at redemption after her loss in EoE? As in, she once again loses her final battle, in spite of the angelic powers that she possesses?
On top of it neither Shinji nor Mari are apparently there to help her? So she is just left alone at the end?

Even the conversation with Shinji on the beach, while seemingly sweet, carries some implications (maybe) that seems questionable.
Like, all that the character receives as coronation of her journey throughout Evangelion is being told by Shinji that he liked/likes her?
Instead of, say, finally proving her worth in a definitive way? Succeding in achieving something?

To me it seems disrespectful but maybe i've missed something from the reports...

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:35 pm

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:
View Original PostMr. Tines#913981 wrote:If anything the Kawoshin meltdown has been far larger than the Asushin one, though so far the only suicide attempt I'm aware of was in the latter camp.

What, you mean r/asushin on literal suicide watch? It's not just a meme?

Someone sent me a screenshot. Guy seems to be Italian. That's a huge and generally LAS-inclined fandom. Hope he gets better. Now, I'd say asushin people are taking it generally well. Very few people expected a ship ending, yet we got a lot of material. Like I said before, MariShin and AsuKen are vague enough that the consensus will probably be just to treat it as a "maybe". Some of the earlier spoilers like that "says they won't work because toxic" has already been disproven, and people calmed down. However, this retroactive validation of Asushin got a lot of people very happy. I'm also checking twitter and pixiv and so far I saw no marishin, one asuken, and one "congratulatory" pic. I'm sure they will pop up at *some* point but not really become popular. Not much kawoshin (less than at normal times), and a wave of LAS stuff coming... so yeah. In a fandom sense, people will just return to a post-EoE scenario, I guess.

In 5 years time, Tsurumaki will have fucked something up and for all we know Anno might pull a Tomino and come back again. Meanwhile, terrible spin-offs and merch will keep coming.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby JuanSorel » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:35 pm

Another curious thing is... If Mari hasn't aged either until now... why is she now older with Shinji? Could Asuka age too in this new world/dimension'?

Also, we need a change of meme. If he got rid of all Evas, the GET INTO THE ROBOT, Shinji should now be an image of adult Shinji saying WHAT ROBOT?

I´ll get my coat...

I personally dont think Joy to the World is neither more nor less out of place than Haendels Alleluya, to be frank. Christmas or not, it about Christ. So is Jesus bleibt meine Freude, despite the fact that this one never got the lyrics in Eva.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:38 pm

View Original PostJehoel wrote:I'm seeing a lot of people discussing about the shipping, my main issue, from what i can tell, is the treatment of Asuka.

A bit unclear, but Asuka does have a nice ending. It's just not revolving around Shinji. I remember speculating in the past how nice it'd have been for Asuka to move on with her life, have dated other people. I speculated this could be Kaworu (hello EM) during the timeskip, or that she'd marry Toji and live in Willetown. Turns out, Willetown does exist, but instead she crashes at Kensuke's place, and Toji is a doctor married to Hikari and has a kid. Very wholesome. Meanwhile, far from being ignored, her relationship with Shinji is validated, but doesn't happen because of the theme of moving on, and the timeskip. I'm satisfied with that.

Unfortunately, people can absolutely waifu Asuka and objectify her. This is usually a criticism aimed at Rei fans, but it certainly applies to Team Red.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:39 pm

I don't think Asuka died. It sounds like she gets absorbed into Eva 13 and Shinji rescues her during his trip through the Negative Universe, adding balance to the time he failed to do so.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”