Shin Eva leak general

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Shin Eva leak general

Postby Derantor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:35 am

Yepp. Can also confirm that the translation is correct (native German speaker here).
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Lenalee
Embryo

Postby Lenalee » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:37 am

So, about Rei...

Given what I'm reading, I don't understand what Rei's point was in the Rebuilds. I'll have to wait until I see the movie myself, of course, for context, but... I don't see why she had this massive, looming presence and impact on the, as well as being a large driving force of story and on Shinji over the past three movies if her resolution was just "welp, I lived in a town for a bit and now I'm human, gonna call back to the aquarium scene in 2.0 and die now, bye Shinji."
And Shinji doesn't seem too affected by it, which is strange given the utter mess he was over her in 2.0 and 3.0. He's also just "you're Ayanami" even though it seems Rei II is separate from Rei Q (?) and SDAT Theory wasn't real. Apparently they didn't have anything going on development-wise before that so he just flips from "she's not Ayanami" to "Idk you're Ayanami I suppose" and then she dies and the movie apparently trucks on as if she wasn't a presence.

Her relationship with Shinji was pretty much the only thing she had going for her this entire series and I'm not sure what the point of it being such a large focus was if it wasn't going to affect anything here nor have any sort of impact in the final film. It almost seems as if they were building to something with her story that never panned out, so it was cut in favour of giving Rei Q a brief human experience just to get her out of the way.

This has nothing to do with shipping, by the way, just her character. What was her overall impact to the story to justify all that previous focus? She made Shinji cause NTE and his not saving her made him break down in 3.0, and that's about it. Rei II looms over 3.0 like a large storm cloud despite not being present and it seemed like they were going somewhere with that and I believe it was even stated at some point that her outcome wasn't going to be like Rei III's, she wasn't going to be a rehash and there was some plan for her character which, if true, doesn't seem to have come into play here.

Basically, it seems as if there was a whole lot of set-up to justify her massive focus this time 'round, but not really any payoff in the end.

Maybe that's the point, but it's a disappointing one of true, because I did enjoy her focus here as I've always found her to be an interesting concept of a character with more potential than she was allowed to explore.

Anyway, like I said I need to see the movie first to have a completely informed opinion, perhaps I'll be satisfied and it'll all make sense in context; this is just what's bugging me about Rei given the tidbits I've read so far.

Edit: was writing this up before the post last page. Seems Rei II gets at least some payoff. Which makes Rei Q's existence even stranger to me since she's not particularly related to her, so she seems somewhat superfluous in the scheme of things (specially since her arc here seems to be just Rei II in 2.0 but sped up).
Last edited by Lenalee on Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:52 am

Whats this I'm reading about Shinji and Gendo fighting in and through the previous sets of the film? Is it just the sets of 3.0+1.0 or all the rebuilds?

Because while yes I love me some juicy eva meta, that sounds like it could have been incredibly goofy, like the ending fight in Blazing Saddles or something.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:58 am

Looks like gendo gets his darth Vader redemption moment

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Derantor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:58 am

Descriptions of the fight range from them fighting inside Ayanamis apartment to the set of a Tokusatsu movie to a literal stage so ... :shrug:
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:59 am

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Whats this I'm reading about Shinji and Gendo fighting in and through the previous sets of the film? Is it just the sets of 3.0+1.0 or all the rebuilds?

Because while yes I love me some juicy eva meta, that sounds like it could have been incredibly goofy, like the ending fight in Blazing Saddles or something.

It wasn't a huge sequence, but they battle through the various locales from the show. Shinji and Misato's apartment. Rei's room. Their classroom. Then they're fighting over the city and it's obvious the buildings are fake and the sky is a big backdrop.

I......don't know what they were going for there.

Also, I didn't really mention it cause I wanted there to be SOME surprises, but since it's already been brought up....yes. Ritusko literally blows Gendo's brains out and he scoops up a little handful of them (not all) and plops them back in his gaping skull. Then there's the reveal that under his glasses he has this hideous cavity where his eyes should be, with jagged cracks going down to his mouth. It's rather gruesome. That's how he looks for the rest of the movie til the flashbacks and he regains his humanity.
Last edited by os189 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

DainTomb
Embryo

Postby DainTomb » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:01 am

I found a YouTube video with someone with the name of Hobby Drifter, from what it seems like it is real and he goes over some major spoilers in the movie.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:06 am

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Also interesting to note that Shin seems to just go full-on meta and abstract without even having something like Instrumentality.

Based on the stuff I've read this whole meta stuff kind of "ruins" this movie series for the new viewer who has never seen Eva before, it's almost required now to see the original series before this movie, when before 3.0+1.0 you could have watched these as standalone.

shingenesis
Embryo

Postby shingenesis » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:10 am

View Original PostLenalee wrote:So, about Rei...

I guess it only works on the screens. The film spends almost 10~20 minutes establishing the fact that Rei learns pieces by pieces on how to be a human in a most welcoming society of the 3rd Village, and the audience is shown that Rei has truly found her peace there. But right then we were given the dark revelation that her body will not endure, and her good-bye scene to Shinji is outright heartbreaking. (Anno is definitely pulling a Makoto Shinkai here)
And Shinji, now learnt from the good folks of the 3rd Village that those who survived must carry on with the will of those who did not make it, decides that he cannot stay idle to the village's eventual demise, a community that Rei deeply loves.

That being said, Fuyutsuki later reveals that she "died" right there to force Shinji experience the loss of his loved one, knowing that such a loss will be the final push for Shinji to regain his determination.
Gendo is truly a bastard, but his actions are consistent with his "you need to grow up" speech in 2.0: He actively WANTS his son to feel the same way as him losing Yui all those years ago.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:11 am

A good portion of the Gendo Shinji fightoff seems to occur in locales of the TV series, but it has been explained by Gendo that this is all a mirage created by the LCL and whatever shenanigans that occur with the Golgotha piece and negative space
(the fight scene montage has a very TV series cell shading feel quite different from the rest of the film, will not be surprised if they actually recycled original cells from the TV series)
I feel old

CharPenPen
Embryo

Postby CharPenPen » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:18 am

Fighting through the sets sounds like easily the most interesting part of this movie, to me. I've been really disappointed by how formally conservative Rebuild has been in comparison to the series. I'm mainly into Eva for the odd stylistic stuff. If they go for some intentional artificiality towards the end of this thing then I'll at least be intrigued.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:19 am

I don't think "daring to do its own thing and not providing simple answers all the time" really falls under "necessary to watch NGE/EoE in order to be understood", though I do think NGE/EoE should probably be watched because NTE seems to very much be about Eva, from its origins to its impact, so knowing something about the franchise is obviously necessary in order to understand all the meta aspects of NTE-and NTE does like its meta, it seems.

Instrumentality does happen in this film, actually and Derantor pointed out to me that Gendo and Shinji travel to Negative Space and some Instrumentality-like stuff happens there, so I guess the weird fight is a part of Instrumentality somehow. But without having seen the film, most of what we can say is really just grasping at a slightly illuminated version of the dark.

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:28 am

I skipped work to see this today. (IMAX, totally worth it.) I clearly wasn't the only one who did.

But I have to work tomorrow and I can't sleep...I'm just so totally wired thinking about this movie, this set of movies, the series in general. I'm just totally wired.

What a ride!!!

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:29 am

Holy hell, this movie looks every bit as batshit insane as I had hoped.

Lenalee
Embryo

Postby Lenalee » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:32 am

View Original Postshingenesis wrote:
View Original PostLenalee#913386 wrote:So, about Rei...

I guess it only works on the screens. The film spends almost 10~20 minutes establishing the fact that Rei learns pieces by pieces on how to be a human in a most welcoming society of the 3rd Village, and the audience is shown that Rei has truly found her peace there. But right then we were given the dark revelation that her body will not endure, and her good-bye scene to Shinji is outright heartbreaking. (Anno is definitely pulling a Makoto Shinkai here)
And Shinji, now learnt from the good folks of the 3rd Village that those who survived must carry on with the will of those who did not make it, decides that he cannot stay idle to the village's eventual demise, a community that Rei deeply loves.

That being said, Fuyutsuki later reveals that she "died" right there to force Shinji experience the loss of his loved one, knowing that such a loss will be the final push for Shinji to regain his determination.
Gendo is truly a bastard, but his actions are consistent with his "you need to grow up" speech in 2.0: He actively WANTS his son to feel the same way as him losing Yui all those years ago.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. What's explained can't really completely capture what's actually going on visually and emotionally when watching, which is why I mentioned that it was only via the tidbits and that it might be different upon viewing.

But hot dang though, that does tend to my initial concerns quite a bit, in that case. I'm glad that emotional keikaku through-line was followed from 2.0. Gendo's a magnificent bastard but yet again, poor Shinji.
I don't think I'll be sold on the Mari ending, but at least the he gets to be happy, which is the most I could ask for.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:35 am

View Original Postos189 wrote: Ritusko literally blows Gendo's brains out and he scoops up a little handful of them (not all) and plops them back in his gaping skull. Then there's the reveal that under his glasses he has this hideous cavity where his eyes should be, with jagged cracks going down to his mouth.

pushes sandwich to one side

That....that is quite something.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:37 am

Rei Q learning how to be human, seeing a cat for the first time, planting rice and taking baths with the old ladies....it was all adorable and heartwarming. It was seriously Ghibli territory.

Maybe that was the only "point."

What I took away from the extended village interlude is that it illustrated humanity's spirit, and ultimate need, deep down, to keep fighting and survive. And in a more specific way, the Japanese people's need for it. Because everything about that sequence is very rooted in Japanese culture.

Lenalee
Embryo

Postby Lenalee » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:55 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:Rei Q learning how to be human, seeing a cat for the first time, planting rice and taking baths with the old ladies....it was all adorable and heartwarming. It was seriously Ghibli territory.

Maybe that was the only "point."

What I took away from the extended village interlude is that it illustrated humanity's spirit, and ultimate need, deep down, to keep fighting and survive. And in a more specific way, the Japanese people's need for it. Because everything about that sequence is very rooted in Japanese culture.

That's a good view of it.
I suppose I'm just someone who gets so caught up in analysing the narrative-character end of Eva that I occasionally look over the little idiosyncrasies such as that.

To be fair, though, I'm sure there's way too much visually that I'm missing to fully grasp the intricacies of it. There wasn't as much discussion in the way of Rei going on in the thread (naturally, there's so many more intriguing things going on to discuss), so I decided to muse my own questioning thoughts from what I had. Perhaps I should've waited, but what else are these threads for, eh? :lol:

Bhorium
Adam

Postby Bhorium » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:24 am

Gotta say, having thought and read more about it, overall I have rather mixed feelings. From a purely technical standpoint plotwise, it all very much sounds like the fizzle I thought it would be after I watched 3.0. Simply too many concepts thrown in there, happening too fast for it to have any real weight to it, and some with an overtly fanfic-y flavor to them. (more clones and time loop confirmed (although thankfully the same thing didn't happen with the Sequel Theory at least), *bleh, harrumph, and other grumpy old man noices*.)

Emotionally though, it sounds like people who watched it were pretty satisfied overall, which to me is a very good sign, and it honestly makes me glad to hear. It sounds like Anno managed to pull off a more successful version of what he attempted with the original Episode 25 and 26. (Although it can be argued that the audience was primed for something like it happening this time.)
Last edited by Bhorium on Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anybody remotely interesting is mad, in some way or another.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Postby bladerj » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:31 am

i read in 3 different places that mari boobs are bigger......do you think she is pregnant?
ANATA BAKA !?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”