Shin Eva leak general

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
melonpan
Embryo

Re: Shin Eva leak general

Postby melonpan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:55 am

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:
Spoilers, but there is a relatively brief scene of Kaworu's awakening from his perspective (it is Instrumentality psychoanalysis so we might have to take it with a grain of salt), we see multiple coffins from his perspective, and he laments that it is happening again. He also is referred to as a commander in a flash back with Kaji and it is all very strange.

oh wow! i knew about the Kaji exchange but not the first point you made. that will be interesting to dissect. very excited for that.

also, when i read about the exchange that Kaworu and Kaji had, it reminded me of in the preview at the end of 2.0, you see Kaworu in clothing that is similar to something Kaji wears somewhere in the film. it looks like a sort of uniform, for what? I wouldnt know at this point. i'm assuming there has to be some kind of connection because Kaji was a spy for Seele in NGE, and if he is in NTE (which i think he is??? i cant remember), then he must know about Kaworu, right? it seems like they are associated with each other.

maybe Kaworu is commander of Seele? i'm only half joking...
Last edited by melonpan on Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
fan since 2013

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:58 am

View Original PostMelkor wrote:What does Shinji mean by say hi to Kensuke? Does this mean Kensuke died too, and Shinji is saying goodbye to Asuka before she passes on the the afterlife or something?

It has been implied throughout the film that Kensuke and Asuka are a little close, and so probably a typical and sentimental formality.

We also see quite near the end of the film, with what appears to be Asuka's entry plug with Asuka paraphernalia near Kensuke's shack so I think we know what this implies. (Probably the proper physical continuation of partial instrumentality, not the meta 'our world' cross over)

View Original Postmelonpan wrote:
View Original PostThe Imperialist#913350 wrote:
Spoilers, but there is a relatively brief scene of Kaworu's awakening from his perspective (it is Instrumentality psychoanalysis so we might have to take it with a grain of salt), we see multiple coffins from his perspective, and he laments that it is happening again. He also is referred to as a commander in a flash back with Kaji and it is all very strange.

oh wow! i knew about the Kaji exchange but not the first point you made. that will be interesting to dissect. very excited for that.

also, when i read about the exchange that Kaworu and Kaji had, it reminded me of in the preview at the end of 2.0, you see Kaworu in clothing that is similar to something Kaji wears somewhere in the film. it looks like a sort of uniform, for what? I wouldnt know at this point. i'm assuming there has to be some kind of connection because Kaji was a spy for Seele in NGE, and if he is in NTE (which i think he is??? i cant remember), then he must know about Kaworu, right? it seems like they are associated with each other.

Yes, Kaworu is wearing Nerv (or maybe Seele, not clear) upper echelon uniform, like in the preview. He is reminiscing of conversations he had with Kaiji.

So, brief conversations on the Japanese net is kind of divided about this; there is NERV, there is SEELE, but some are speculating that Kaworu is Seele (or some sort of overseer of Seele), is the one who planted the various predictions. I am personally inclined to believe that he was somehow connected to one of the vaporised bases (I think most likely the very briefly mentioned Calvary base) and this in turn makes Kaiji's position quite strange to say the least but the details are quite vague for this screening.
I feel old

kuro hazama
Adam

Postby kuro hazama » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:06 am

personally what "cucks" me the most is not getting to watch the film where Kaji got to know commander Nagisa and Kaworu got so familiar he calls him Ryou-chan
also big spoiler for what plays when Shinji says NEON GENESIS

I would cry at the theater you would cry too, now you know why people where so emotional.

SPOILER: Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8GpsHl1Cvw
the eva team

gendo team brains/pimpface
ritsuko team cyborg
Misato team berserker
aoba team undead
hyuga team psycho
ibuki psycho stalker

fuyu team badass

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:06 am

View Original PostMelkor wrote:What does Shinji mean by say hi to Kensuke? Does this mean Kensuke died too, and Shinji is saying goodbye to Asuka before she passes on the the afterlife or something?

I don't think we really see the fate of anyone in the village. Things get really surreal in the last battle. At some point, Shinji is clearly concerned about trampling over the village or a village similar to it. But then the battle gets metaphysical and they're on soundstages, so who really knows if they were in danger of actually getting stepped on? I assume everyone in the village, including Kensuke, Toji's family, and Misato's son are fine.

But I got really lost when Kensuke appeared as the man-sized version of Asuka's hand puppet. NO IDEA what the hell was going on there.

I was surprised to even see him at all, considering what a small role he had in 1.0 and 2.0. So then further expanding his role by making him Asuka's "protector" was an odd choice to me.

Oh man...that reminds me...wasn't Shinji wearing Toji's clothes in 3.0, which heavily implied to me at the time that his classmates were dead? It made it all the more surprising to see the three of them show up alive and well and as responsible adults!

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Postby Jäeger » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:07 am

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:
View Original PostMelkor#913355 wrote:
We also see quite near the end of the film, with what appears to be Asuka's entry plug with Asuka paraphernalia near Kensuke's shack so I think we know what this implies. (Probably the proper physical continuation of partial instrumentality, not the meta 'our world' cross over)

Or maybe he just adopted the role Kaji had in NGE

28 years old full grown up adult banging a 14 year old body?

Talk about fantasies...
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:16 am

Jesus reading the spoilers it almost seems to me that this film is closer to ANIMA than to 1.0 and 2.0 :w00t:

melonpan
Embryo

Postby melonpan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:22 am

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:Yes, Kaworu is wearing Nerv (or maybe Seele, not clear) upper echelon uniform, like in the preview. He is reminiscing of conversations he had with Kaiji.

So, brief conversations on the Japanese net is kind of divided about this; there is NERV, there is SEELE, but some are speculating that Kaworu is Seele (or some sort of overseer of Seele), is the one who planted the various predictions. I am personally inclined to believe that he was somehow connected to one of the vaporised bases (I think most likely the very briefly mentioned Calvary base) and this in turn makes Kaiji's position quite strange to say the least but the details are quite vague for this screening.

this Kaworu and Kaji relationship is not something I expected at all. i do wish we learnt more about Kaji. his character in NGE is quite compelling, and while elements of that are present in NTE, i think he just didn't get the screentime he deserved.
while on the topic of Kaji, these arent Shin spoilers, but i recently came across the deleted scene of 2.0 (that has probably been seen by most of whom that frequent this forum site) where Kaji sees Misato and the kids somewhere and Kaji flirts with Shinji just before he leaves. He winks at Shinji and says "愛してるよ"(aishiteru-yo), which is obviously to emphasize his overly flirtatious nature, but specifically towards Shinji? it makes me laugh, but in a "but why?" kind of way.
Last edited by melonpan on Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
fan since 2013

shingenesis
Embryo

Postby shingenesis » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:28 am

Since there may be a lot confusion on names and key concepts, I will try to translate the new stuff from the backside of the Asuka pamphlet and add some explanations learned from the film.

From top left to bottom right, skipping the previously known eva names and other concepts:

KREDIT: WILLE's sub-organization helping people to survive the core-rified earth.

ネルフ第2支部N109棟跡:Ruins of Building N109 of NERV 2nd Branch, the ruined building where Shinji secludes himself before finally persuaded by Rei Q to come home. (Asuka also checks up on Shinji from time to time, but stayed silent.)

相補性L結界浄化無効阻止装置:Basically Angel Sealing Pillars that de-corerifies the red earth, creating habitable lands for the survived Lilin. But according to Kensuke these does not run indefinitely, and their failure will mean the end of the 3rd Village and its inhabitants.

ハイカイ:Wandering: FoIs outside of 3rd Village sometimes wanders the red wasteland aimlessly, but recently they seem to be walking towards the same direction. (Later revealed to be the Antarctica)

無人式全自動型の方舟:Kaji's plan of preserving the seeds of all life forms on earth, stored inside the Wunder's storage silo shown in the trailers. These will be eventually launched into space towards Lagrange 5 before the Final Impact commences. A literal Noah's Ark.

アドバンスド・アヤナミシリーズ:Advanced Ayanami-Series. Not much information provided, but Fuyutsuki comments that these abominations are free of sin, and are results of men's arrogant quest for Godhood(or immortality? can't remember this one clearly)

アヤナミタイプ・ナンバー6:Ayanami Type No.6, NERV's internal name for Rei Q.

停止信号プラグ:Stop Signal Plug, Unit 02 tried to stab Unit13's core with this plug to stop it once and for all, but ultimately failed and fell into Gendo's trap.

ヤマト作戦:Operation Yamato, WILLE's final operation to stop the Final Impact.

L結界境界面:L-Barrier Boundary, a hexagon-shaped surface above the remains of 2nd Impact. 5 Black crosses can be seen.

NHG Erlosung (NHG-***2),
NHG Erbsunde(NHG-***3),
NHG Gebet(NHG-***4): The "Dark Wunders" still under NERV's control, paired with Eva Mk.10 to 12.

AAA Wunder (former NHG Buße): WILLE robbed this one when it was still under construction, originally paired with Eva Mk.9.

エヴァインフィニティ: Eva Infinity, the white headless evas shown in the trailers. Revealed to be transformed souls of people and animals.

EVANGELION Mark.07: The yellow-ish Evas with eva-sized human skull heads and halos. Swarms of these tried to stop 02 and 08 from descending on the NERV pyramid. Very Creepy.

カルヴァリーベース:Calvary Base, the NERV base where 2nd Impact happened. Has a seraph-like shape when observed from above, its center is the still-opened Gate of Hell.

地獄の門:Gate of Hell that leads to Negative Space. Misato's father theorized that an ancient relic (Golgotha Object) and an imaginary Eva (Evangelion Imaginary) still resides behind this Gate.

光の翼:Wings of Light, emitted by the 3 dark Wunders that guards the Gate of Hell. Wunder also emits this wing when invaded my Mk.9. These wings look somewhat similar to the NGE 2nd Impact Wings.

ガフの守り人:Guandians of Guf, aka the 3 Dark Wunders.

アナザー・インパクト:Another Impact, Ritsuko notices that by turning the Black Moon into a X-Shaped spear with space textures, Gendo is having more spears than he needs to commence the Final Impact. Later revealed that this is Gendo's own Impact so that he could, in his words, re-form Yui. (ユイを再形成する)

裏CODE999: Hidden, or Reverse CODE 999. Upon calling this command, Unit 02 would be injected with a substance known is Angel Blood and transform into a semi-transparent Radiant Giant. Mari and Ritsuko comments that Asuka is using the power of the 9th Angel.

エンジェルブラッド:Angel Blood, the substance that grants Angel-like powers to Unit 02.

シキナミタイプ:Shikinami Type, a series of clones meant to become the 2nd Children. Only one survived the most cruel of trials: The Asuka we know of. Implied to have a designed reaction towards the 3rd Children similar to Ayanami Type.

エヴァオップファータイプ:Eva Op.4 Type, pairs of flying Eva arms swinging knifes. Perhaps they are recycled from the armless 44Bs? Unit 08 was left behind to stop these abominations while 02 proceeds to stab unit 13 with the stop signal plug.

EVANGELION Mark.09-A: A "Remade" Eva Mk9, with a mask similar to Mark 10 to 12. The mask can be opened to reveal the Mk.9 face below.

VD防壁:VD Shielding

ネブカドネザルの鍵:Key of Nebuchadnezzar, Gendo stabbed himself with this and turned himself into a Angel-like being with physical AT Field and eye laser. Superficially he is no different, but removing the visor reveals a gaping void with a golden cross. Also Gendo can afford losing his brain tissue to Ritsuko's gunshots now.

人類の神化と補完:Ascension (or Apotheosis) and Instrumentality of Humankind, SEELE's plan of transforming all life on earth into Angel-like beings. It is told from the Dead Sea Scrolls that mankind will face the choice of either being destroyed by the Angels...or join them.

生命のコモディティ化:Commodityfication of Life, an apparent result of Apotheosis.

海の浄化:Purification of the Sea, the goals of the 2nd Impact is to remove all life from the Seas.

大地の浄化:Purification of the Land, the goal of the 3rd Impact is to rid of all life on Land.

魂の浄化:Purification of the Soul, the goal of the 4th and Final Impact is to converge all souls on Earth and give birth to a new, Angel-like species.

マイナス宇宙:Negative Universe, the world beyond the Gate of Hell. It seems that only Adams (13), or those that have consumed a vessel of Adams (08) may enter this realm.

オーバーラッピング:Overlapping. Following the overhaul from Paris, Unit 8 can now open its mask and consume Adams' Vessels and subsequently gain their uncalculatable power. After consuming all 4 Vessels, Unit 08 gains 4 halos on his back and sinks all dark Wunders with eye beams.
Maybe it was Unit 08's original role to keep the Vessels in check?

プラス・フォー・イン・ワン:Plus 4 in 1, a super-powered Unit 08 after it has consumed (eaten) all Vessels of Adams.

量子テレポート:Quantum Teleportation, Unit 13 abuses the twisted laws of physics inside the Negative Universe and teleports itself (and Unit01) every second so that Unit 08 cannot get a lock-on.

After calling upon Rei02 inside Unit 01, Shinji goes though a portal inside Unit08's entry plug and reunited with Rei02, now long-haired and holding Unit01's controls. Rei apologizes that she failed to give a Shinji a happiness without piloting Eva, and it was revealed that it was Rei who was hiding Shinji's actual sync rate to a seemingly zero. But the truth is, Shinji's synchronization rate with the Awakened Unit 01 is infinity. Shinji then takes over Unit01's controls to fight a dreadful foe with blazing red eyes once more.

ゴルゴタオブジェクト:Golgotha Object (Inside Negative Universe), a black, cross shaped object said by Gendo to be a leftover relic from the Ancients. Visually similar to the cross-like object poking out of the Gate of Guf in Q. Has Angel Sealing Alphabet (Ancient Language) written all over it. This is the place where the world can be reshaped to its master's will.

アディショナルインパクト:Additional Impact, where Gendo uses the black X-shaped spear transformed from the Black Moon to penetrate the Evangelion Imaginary's chest and grants himself the ability to shape the world to his whim. This is how he plans to meet with Yui again.

エヴァンゲリオンイマジンナリー:Evangelion Imaginary, the Evangelion that is both fictional and un-real (虚構). Appears to be a dark-skinned Lilith in Shinji's eyes, but its form varies by the viewer.

イスカリオテのマリア:Maria of Iscariot, Fuyutsuki's nickname for Mari.

EVANGELION Mark.10 to 12, the 3 other Adams' Vessels.

反動推進型エンジン:Reaction Propulsion Engines. Realizing that Wunder also holds the power to kill a God, Misato deemed that another spear can be made from Wunder's Spinal Cords with the will of Humans. As Wunder is now devoid of godly power sources, she has to now rely on good-old rocket engines.

希望の槍カシウスと絶望の槍ロンギヌス:Cassius, the Spear of Hope & Longinus, the Spear of Despair.

ガイウスの槍:Spear of Gaius, the spear formed from the spinal cords of Wunder and Misato's will to protect her children (Shinji and Ryouji), a sign that human no longer need help from gods.

生命の書:The Book of Life. Kaworu writes Shinji's name unto it so that they will meet time after time, where Kaworu is stuck in a infinite loop where he cannot give Shinji the happiness he truly yearns for.

EDIT:Typo
Last edited by shingenesis on Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:30 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:I was surprised to even see him at all, considering what a small role he had in 1.0 and 2.0. So then further expanding his role by making him Asuka's "protector" was an odd choice to me.

Oh man...that reminds me...wasn't Shinji wearing Toji's clothes in 3.0, which heavily implied to me at the time that his classmates were dead? It made it all the more surprising to see the three of them show up alive and well and as responsible adults!

My boy Kensuke went from ZERO to HERO in less than 24 hours hahaha! Initially I thought that they were dead too (or, at least, forgotten by the script). I mean, these guys' roles in the story have been reduced to a minimum (especially Toji's). However, after some time, I started to think that they could show up as some kind of "fanservice". You know, in a scene of five minutes at most. So, yeah. I was blown away yesterday. I wonder how you (who watched it first hand) must have felt hahaha!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:39 am

@shingenesis: good infos! I liked it a lot!
I feel so sorry about Rei 6 :sniffle:
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

kuro hazama
Adam

Postby kuro hazama » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:40 am

ok guys not lying, I havent even watched the film and to my shock I literally lost any control and started crying when
SPOILER: Show
Shinji tells Kaworu he is the same as Gendou
the eva team

gendo team brains/pimpface
ritsuko team cyborg
Misato team berserker
aoba team undead
hyuga team psycho
ibuki psycho stalker

fuyu team badass

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:14 am

View Original Postshingenesis wrote:生命の書:The Book of Life. Kaworu writes Shinji's name unto it so that they will meet time after time, where Kaworu is stuck in a infinite loop where he cannot give Shinji the happiness he truly yearns for.

This has to be related to the Book of Law Seele 01 mentioned at the end of Eva 1.0! I didn't expect it to be an actual artifact. :w00t:

Man, Anno really pulled a deep cut on the lore here. I am absolutely dying to see this stuff. Especially the site of Second Impact! Thanks for sharing this stuff!
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:21 am

Thanks for the translation shingenesis!

So FOIs can move around? It's surprising.

Also now we finally know what MK.09 was; the Wunder's original power source, and the yellow eva with a cross shaped mask we saw in the trailers is its replacement.

It's interesting they kept the 9th angel alive inside Asuka to start another Impact. So much information, and there's still the equivalent of a whole movie missing between 2 and 3. I can't wait for the bluray release.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Pluto » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:23 am

I just saw the movie in the theater. Is there a general thread that compiles the information we know so far with the script. etc?

Tbh, folk, this was an amazing experience: not knowing what was going to happen, and then being pleasantly surprised.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:27 am

View Original Postshingenesis wrote:Wall of text

What the hell am I reading.
Hopefully all of these make more sense when I see the movie.

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:29 am

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Thanks for the translation shingenesis!

So FOIs can move around? It's surprising.

You know what else moves around? Train cars. In the "red zones" there are big train cars just floating around in the sky along with other debris. The people that live in the small safe zones have to find that awfully unnerving.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Derantor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:31 am

View Original PostPluto wrote:I just saw the movie in the theater. Is there a general thread that compiles the information we know so far with the script. etc?

You're standing right in in. I fear you'll have to read back, nobody has compiled the leaks yet.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

shingenesis
Embryo

Postby shingenesis » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:32 am

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:@shingenesis: good infos! I like it a lot!
I feel so sorry about Rei 6 :sniffle:

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Thanks for sharing this stuff!

Thank you! :D

Also googling on the dark Wunders' German names show that

Erlösung = Salvation
Erbsünde = The Original Sin
Gebet = Prayer
...and Buße (Wunder's original name) = Penance

Well, SEELE really likes using religious names, eh? :emogendo:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:35 am

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:https://archive.wakarimasen.moe/a/thread/103042010/#103062869

/a/ called it 7 years ago

I have this sinking feeling that that was my -- entirely facetious -- post. At least it wasn't this one coming true.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:35 am

shingenesis: Thanks for the effort.

There's also this. No idea how truthful it is and there does seem to be a chance of not discussing some things, but it does correspond with most of what we already know. Also interesting to note that Shin seems to just go full-on meta and abstract without even having something like Instrumentality. Gendo just picking up his brains and putting them back into his head is pretty funny, though.

All-in-all, I'm hoping for an insane combination of your traditional generic anime plot points combined with typical Anno arthouse insanity.

Also, the pamphlet The Imperialist showed has "Horseman" written on it somewhere, which is yet another nice detail!

Pluto: Don't be afraid to tell us more, now!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”