Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:05 am

View Original PostHooded_Omar#927739 wrote:So that makes me wonder if instead of completely re-dubbing all the lines, did Amazon simply redub the lines of those with new voice actors (Rei, Ritsuko, Fuyutsuki, etc), or something like that?

I don't think it would be that because Tia Ballard (Who reads that line) is not credited in the Dubbing Brothers credits.
wait waht

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:53 am

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:Or they just didn't make a new trailer :huh:

I'm thinking it's this too.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:50 am

Pretty sure even if they wanted to they wouldn’t be able to use the old recorded lines. That script and the recordings presumably belong to Funimation and Amazon wouldn’t be able to distribute it unless a deal was worked out with them - at which point it’s probably cheaper and easier to just re-dub the whole thing with whatever script changes you want to make without having to worry about matching up your current actors to a 10 year old performance.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:53 am

Agreed, they don't own Funimation's dub, right? As far as we know, at least - if that's correct surely they don't have the rights to use that dub, so isn't that line being used breaking rules or something?
wait waht

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:18 pm

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:Agreed, they don't own Funimation's dub, right? As far as we know, at least - if that's correct surely they don't have the rights to use that dub, so isn't that line being used breaking rules or something?

As far as I know, Khara had a hand in the third film's dub. Maybe that might've been why it was used?

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:51 pm

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:Agreed, they don't own Funimation's dub, right? As far as we know, at least - if that's correct surely they don't have the rights to use that dub, so isn't that line being used breaking rules or something?

While not impossible, is is unlikely FUNimation owns the dubs they produced for the previous NTE movies. With the notable exception of Netflix, it is pretty standard that ownership of English language dubs belongs to the Japanese producer. This is why companies like Discotek can release various English language versions not produced by themselves including FUNimation's dubs of titles like Lupin III, Sgt. Frog, and Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple, Viz Media's dubs of titles like Honey and Clover and Kekkaishi, 4Kids dubs of titles like Shaman King, Sonic X, and Fighting Foodons, and even really obscure stuff like their upcoming release of Robot Ninjas. There are exceptions to that of course, especially for dubs produced in the 90s or earlier, but those are more the exception than the rule. Given how relatively recently the NTE dubs were produced, there's no reason to assume Khara doesn't own the rights to those dubs.

eldomtom2
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:23 pm

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:
View Original PostArcher#927648 wrote:Come to think of it, does the UK ever get dubs in a “British accent”?

Only dub I've ever seen from the UK was Arrietty, from Studiocanal. Literally no idea why it exists considering there is another English dub so what's the point in two, but I am glad it does exist. Olivia Colman and Saoirse Ronan are in it!

Arrietty is an adaptation of a British novel.

There have also been quite a few other British anime dubs out there, if you know about them. The most famous is probably the BBC's gag dub of Lum.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:55 pm

View Original PostErufailon4 wrote:Idk about Amazon's regional sites, but Prime Video's own website (which is the same for all regions) has placeholders for all four films.

1.11 https://www.primevideo.com/detail/EVANG ... CYDCFKF3EO

2.22 https://www.primevideo.com/detail/EVANG ... 0I3OUZOAEN

3.33 https://www.primevideo.com/detail/EVANG ... VFOGEHFZRR

3.0+1.01 https://www.primevideo.com/detail/From- ... 3FSTBTIKLM

Wait, are the new English dubs... not going to be available in the US? The page for 3+1 says "this video will be available 8/13" but the pages for 1, 2, and 3.33 say "this is currently unavailable to watch in your location"
View Original PostArcher#927648 wrote:Come to think of it, does the UK ever get dubs in a “British accent”?

I've seen the opposite of this happen, recently learned that Bob the Builder got an American accent dub when it was brought over here, which was super weird to hear after growing up with said dub. Also super weird because I can't remember any other British kids shows getting American dubs, except for maybe some of the narration in Thomas and Friends.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:59 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:Wait, are the new English dubs... not going to be available in the US? The page for 3+1 says "this video will be available 8/13" but the pages for 1, 2, and 3.33 say "this is currently unavailable to watch in your location"

I think that it currently says that for 1.11, 2.22 and 3.33 in every country outside Japan.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:01 pm

Don't worry, that message shows up in every country, exclude Japan. It's confirmed that all movies will be available on 08/13.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:02 pm

Ayy B]

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:02 pm

Do we have an official release time yet?

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:06 pm

"12 AM GMT", which apparently means it'll come out at the same time all around the world but at a different time depending on where you're at. For example, it's probably gonna be 7PM Thursday in Central time zone. So be fully prepared to either watch in sub-HD or have to wait a couple hours for traffic to die down, I don't know how amazon's video servers are but there are a LOT of people excited for this movie.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:06 pm

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:Given how relatively recently the NTE dubs were produced, there's no reason to assume Khara doesn't own the rights to those dubs.

Well, if Khara own the rights for the previous dub of Rebuild movie, it's possible they find cheaper to re-dub only the parts with new voice actors.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:08 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:So be fully prepared to either watch in sub-HD or have to wait a couple hours for traffic to die down, I don't know how amazon's video servers are but there are a LOT of people excited for this movie.

Well if you have the Prime Video app (available on Windows, Android and iOS), you can download movies for offline viewing and avoid buffering issues.

Prime Video app links:

Windows: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/amazon-prime-video-for-windows/9p6rc76msmmj?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.avod.thirdpartyclient&hl=en&gl=US

iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/amazon-prime-video/id545519333

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:54 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:"12 AM GMT", which apparently means it'll come out at the same time all around the world but at a different time depending on where you're at. For example, it's probably gonna be 7PM Thursday in Central time zone. So be fully prepared to either watch in sub-HD or have to wait a couple hours for traffic to die down, I don't know how amazon's video servers are but there are a LOT of people excited for this movie.

I don't think this will be something to worry about. Amazon is one of the biggest content providers in the world and websites in general and they have dealt with many people streaming at once before. We'll be okay, I promise.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:59 pm

I'm almost glad I won't be able to see it until Saturday, none of that release day anxiety for me ... but the anxiety of not getting in on the fun is bad enough

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:16 am

Made a b/w sketch poster heh

SPOILER: Show

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:54 am

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:Made a b/w sketch poster heh

SPOILER: Show

OMG I can't believe you spoiled the whole movie in one drawing. What a mad lad. /s

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:56 am

Lol XD
I'm planning on making a proper colored version of the poster before Friday, I think it would look nicer in color.

Upadte: finished :D ! It's a bit different from the b/w sketch, but I think it turned out good:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”