Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:45 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:Come to think of it, does the UK ever get dubs in a “British accent”?

Only dub I've ever seen from the UK was Arrietty, from Studiocanal. Literally no idea why it exists considering there is another English dub so what's the point in two, but I am glad it does exist. Olivia Colman and Saoirse Ronan are in it!
wait waht

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:53 pm

The last thing I'll say is that Gkids for sure knows it's audience. It knows that many people didn't like the Netflix dub and wouldn't be interested in a home video release with it, even if it's a collectors edition sort of deal. They also know the ADV dubbed has aged and does have a fair bit of problems itself.

Having a chance to redub with the new Rebuild casts which has all the ADV voices people begged for back, and then some, WITH an updated version of the 2019 script that's tighter and more natural would be a great selling point for the bluray release. It will also show that Khara is willing to humble themselves and admit when they were wrong, like we got to see with the new Rebuild dub now anyways, which makes me even more willing to support them in the future.

It's just pure win win to me but I guess we'll see what happens.

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:23 pm

As I've been avoiding spoilers for the movie, I'm BEYOND overjoyed that they got the original ADV cast back together to finish the Rebuild movies!!! If they had actually replaced Spike Spencer and friends for the last movie I would have flipped a lid and been really pissed off. ALSO, one of my local theaters is showing the movie this Caturday at 7:00!!!!! It's being shown with Kimetsu no Yaiba Mugen Train before it but as I already saw that I'll be skipping it xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:30 pm

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:...

Wow, lucky you!
I wish I could see it the first time in a theater, like I did for 2.0, but alas, COVID. I just hope it'll pop up someday. I'll be seeing the Shirobako movie in theaters on the 10th though so that's something nice in its own right.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:04 am

Uh.... no one has the contract to theatrically screen 3.0+1.0 anywhere in the world outside Japan so if any theater is showing the film that's likely illegal or very suspect. (A theater screening a film they don't have rights to can get them shut down or fined for so much money they may as well shut down)

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:13 am

Some theatres let you rent out the place and play whatever you want. There’s one by me that you just give them the dvd or blu ray, and they’ll play it. I know someone on Reddit was talking about doing this and basically inviting anyone who wants to go to join.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:32 am

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:
View Original PostArcher#927648 wrote:Come to think of it, does the UK ever get dubs in a “British accent”?

Only dub I've ever seen from the UK was Arrietty, from Studiocanal. Literally no idea why it exists considering there is another English dub so what's the point in two, but I am glad it does exist. Olivia Colman and Saoirse Ronan are in it!

If I remember correctly, on my release both those English dubs were included. I'd certainly never experienced that on a contemporaneous release, before or since.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:29 am

Hoo boy, I will need to buy a lot of alcohol this friday for my new dub re-watch of 1-3 and Shin (which i've decided to watch in dub for my first watch!)

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:41 am

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:Some theatres let you rent out the place and play whatever you want. There’s one by me that you just give them the dvd or blu ray, and they’ll play it. I know someone on Reddit was talking about doing this and basically inviting anyone who wants to go to join.

Yes, I've done this before. I just really wanted to see The Castle of Cagliostro with the manga dub on the big screen.

I called them about renting it for TUAT but the owners are currently out of town. I also tried asking the theatre I used to work at and the theatre my uncle manages and they both said they don't have bluray players so they can't do it.

My final attempt was asking the local theatre that showed the other rebuilds here because I KNOW they have a bluray player but they said they would have to go through Amazon first and there's little chance for clearance.

Just going to have to watch it at home the first time but that will make my first eventual watch in theatres that much more special.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:05 am

Can't believe it's this week. Feels surreal.
Also sprach Zarathustra

N1CK0
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby N1CK0 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:21 am

A question: do we know exactly when it will be released? I was planning to watch it as soon as it is available with a friend but there is no reason to invite him the day before if by midnight it won't be viewable.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:11 am

The movie will be released at 12:00 GMT. You have to do some math to know what time it will be made available in your region (time zone antics).
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:39 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:The movie will be released at 12:00 GMT. You have to do some math to know what time it will be made available in your region (time zone antics).

Whoa, so does that mean Thrice will be released at 8:00 PM EST, Thursday night? That can't be right!
Last edited by mastafishere on Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:52 am

I believe so - I'm lead to understand that the worldwide release is coordinated to 12:00am (i.e. midnight, 00:00 hrs) GMT (= UTC). That means late on the day before in the US (Thursday in this case).

Confirmation of the time from Amazon, not specifying time zone, though:
SPOILER: Show

However, it's worth noting that the definition of 12:00am (or pm) is not standardised. 12am being midnight at the start of the day is always my assumption, but there are people who use it to mean noon (which I call 12pm). It's possible that 12:00am is meant to mean noon GMT, which would mean that everywhere in the world would see a release on the same date at different times, and I've seen that interpretation used in a discussion of the release of another film on Amazon.
Last edited by pwhodges on Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:06 am

This changes my plans considerably! Considering that the main cast for the English dub is staying the same, I'm going to rewatch the first three blu rays throughout the week in preparation for Thursday night. Then, I'm still going to do my originally planned marathon for Friday with the "new" dubs for the first three releases.

This is so exciting! I should probably verify with Amazon before I make these plans (since they also involve my wife and my sister)

I just tweeted that same Amazon account, asking for verification. Here's hoping!

Come to think of it, I remember new episodes of The Boys would drop around 7ish PM the night before their official air dates. Same situation; they were scheduled to come out Friday, they came out Thursday the night before. So this might be standard for Amazon releases.
Last edited by mastafishere on Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:10 am

SPOILER: Show
View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I believe so - I'm lead to understand that the worldwide release is coordinated to 12:00am (i.e. midnight, 00:00 hrs) GMT (= UTC). That means late on the day before in the US (Thursday in this case).

Confirmation of the time from Amazon, not specifying time zone, though

However, it's worth noting that the definition of 12:00am (or pm) is not standardised. 12am being midnight at the start of the day is always my assumption, but there are people who use it to mean noon (which I call 12pm). It's possible that 12:00am is meant to mean noon GMT, which would mean that everywhere in the world would see a release on the same date at different times, and I've seen that interpretation used in a discussion of the release of another film on Amazon.

Can’t say I’ve ever heard noon being referred to as 12AM, but there is ambiguity as to whether “midnight of Thursday” refers to the beginning or the end of Thursday. It tends to mean the end of the day for deadlines but the beginning of the day for releases in my experience.

Please, try not to quote entire posts (narrow it down to the part you're addressing). Anyway, I placed your quote in a spoiler tag - Bernardo

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:33 am

As far as I'm concerned, 12AM = 0:00 (midnight) and 12PM = 12:00 (noon). That's what I was taught, at least. Oh well. Things would be easier if you guys simply used 0:00 - 23:59. lol
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:39 am

I'm at a loss for when it drops, at the ComicCon@Home Amazon panel they said midnight EST, but that Amazon twitter reply said midnight GMT. My understanding is that it'll either drop at midnight by timezones or all at once by one. Hoping it's not all at once, cause if it's EST then that means 5am for me.

Also I've never heard anyone refer to 12am as the afternoon. That's 12pm as far as I'm aware and as far as the meaning of PM goes as well. Whatever the case, they've said midnight in that panel so it's going to be midnight somewhere.

Also apparently Amazon usually drops stuff at midnight GMT anyway.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:42 am

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:[...] drop at midnight by timezones [...]

That's what I understood from Amazon's response. :lol:
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:44 am

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:Considering that the main cast for the English dub is staying the same

Well the main cast isn't completely the same. For example, Rei has been recast by her NGE ADV/Manga actress, Amanda Win Lee.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”