Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:42 am

JoelcrNeto wrote:It's horrible when they don't standardize the voices, as happens from time to time here in Brazil.

If you think about it, that's only true for the NTE side of things. I mean, our NGE dubs are pretty consistent. The only characters who have changed their voices more than once are Misato, Kaji and Fuyutsuki, I believe (all for the better, in my opinion). Essentially, we're still dealing with the same core cast from the 90's. Fernanda and Fábio will always be synonymous with Asuka and Gendo for me (I still read the manga while thinking about their voices hahaha).
I'm glad the movies are being handled by the same studio responsible for the great Netflix dub. It's so good to see HA, in particular, being redubed! I'm pumped up! This is going to be a nostalgia trip!

After uncovering all that information about the English dub yesterday, I've been thinking about eventually watching the American version of these movies as well. I must understand why everything about it is so polarizing. Are the original English voices that great? We'll see (from an outside and unbiased perspective). I did the same thing to Dragon Ball some years ago and it was funny.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:01 am

I personally could not care less about the dub, but I'm happy for anyone who's really excited by this news.

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:06 am

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:In case you want to hype yourselves even more for the Rebuilds' release on Prime, I've compiled this list of trailers for all four:

1.11 Trailer (ft. Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words)): https://youtu.be/WMXvoP6qxyI

2.22 Trailer (ft. Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words)): https://youtu.be/Ad2EvbAYfsk

3.33 Trailer (ft. Sakura Nagashi): https://youtu.be/0bYPk_kpYkk

3.0+1.01 Trailer (ft. One Last Kiss): https://youtu.be/GZfuWMDEJpw

Wow, they even got FMTTM?!

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:14 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:So they kept Spencer and Grant, but they couldn't get a hold of Palencia or Nishamura?
Why recast Mari of all people?

Contract issues? Scheduling conflicts? Something COVID-related? Only they know and AFAIK they ain't said.

You could go and ask them on twitter, surely they aren't under NDA if they aren't appearing:
https://twitter.com/trinanishimura?lang=en
https://twitter.com/brinapalencia?lang=en

Oh. I just looked at Palencia's twitter and found this:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/helping-heal ... y_link_all
This may or may not have been the reason Nishimura is not appearing, so with this in mind if you do try and contact her on Twitter or somewhere be nice.

Also there's a fairly recent set of tweets from Palencia saying "No good asking us about the status of a project, we actors are the last to know, you guys often know more than we do". This may or may not be related to Eva.

View Original PostItalyzpizza wrote:Wow, they even got FMTTM?!

They've always had FMTTM. Notice it's Utada's version. What they don't have is the rights to Claire's version. Or rather as per the recent interview with Eva Monkey at the time of recording Claire was told the payment for vocal sessions was for a mini-CD release (https://www.discogs.com/Claire-Yoko-Tak ... e/12186725) and use in some "manga anime" series. Since they it's appeared on a bunch of compilations and other places. Ms Littley only found out about this relatively recently (she didn't even know her song was on the end credits) and made enquiries to King Records who were evasive and obfuscating. Because she had other shit going on Claire did not persist in the matter but it appears King/Khara/Netflix bottled using the Claire version of FMTTM since the days of 1.11 for fear of issues. That is Claire's fairly in the know suppositions at how things have gone. And it's also why EvaMonkey's video opens with a "The views contained within..." disclaimer :D
More detail here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpdnJ455tEU&t=2174s
Last edited by Jayfive on Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:17 am

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:3.33 Trailer (ft. Sakura Nagashi): https://youtu.be/0bYPk_kpYkk

It was crazy that they released this trailer like a week after 3.0 started showing in theater or something.
Also sprach Zarathustra

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:06 pm

Can the mods unlock the dub cast topic now?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:26 pm

Should they, really? This is the dub cast discussion topic now! :lol:

Incidentally, I never thought that AWL would be back as Rei, and it's going to be interesting to hear her reprise her role after so long!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:33 pm

View Original PostJupiterCallisto wrote:Can the mods unlock the dub cast topic now?

I considered doing this yesterday, but the discussion grew too fast and it became impractical to move all the posts into there. So what we were left with was to simply let it go here.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:34 pm

^
Personally, people were being the fucking worst over there, the mods need to send it to the shadow realm.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:48 pm

I plan on watching all 4 with the new dub on 8/13 and I’m sure I’ll be playing the game of “did they Frankenstein new performances into the old dub or is all of this new?” and if it’s new then “which of Spike/Alison/Tiffany/etc’s performance was better, the original or the new one?”

I already told my wife that, after the marathon, I’m watching thrice upon a time with the Japanese dub anyway, so I’ll be contrasting and comparing that as well!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:12 pm

View Original PostItalyzpizza wrote:Wow, they even got FMTTM?!

Those are the old trailers, not Amazon.

I'm intrigued that some languages are going back to old casts, and others are using the more recent Netflix cast. Someone seems to have been thinking about the decisions, even if we won't all agree with the chosen options. It also makes it even more up in the air what dub will go on the upcoming English BD release of the series.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:25 pm

Pro tip for Windows 10/11 users: if you download the Prime Video app from the Microsoft Store, you'll be able to download each of the movies and thus won't have to worry about internet hiccups.
Last edited by Hooded_Omar on Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:06 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Guys, I have info on the English dub as well. Take a look:

SPOILER: Show

These are JO's credits, apparently.
I'm almost 100% sure that this information is accurate.

Awesome find Bernardo, I just hope Tiffany is in there as well ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:08 pm

I think it's interesting that the Portuguese dub matches the Netflix dub rather than previous versions when other dubs have clearly prioritized bringing back a lot of the previous casts, and that the general perception is that the Netflix dub was of higher quality. It makes me wonder if Khara and Amazon did a hard look at what the general reaction among the foreign dub communities was to the Netflix releases and adjusted the casts as appropriate for each one - those that seemed to reject the Netflix casts had their old ones restored while those that preferred them being kept. Could be wrong and it was some other factor, but it's something interesting to consider.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Oh. I just looked at Palencia's twitter and found this:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/helping-heal ... y_link_all
This may or may not have been the reason Nishimura is not appearing, so with this in mind if you do try and contact her on Twitter or somewhere be nice.

Yeah, after thinking about it for a bit, I remembered seeing that and wondering if that was the reason Mari was recast. There's also been some speculation that it's because she was in Texas rather than LA (same with other actors like Jewell), but given Spike probably dubbed this remotely from Australia I doubt that's the case. I'd speculate it probably was either a scheduling conflict, related to Holt or not, or the casting people being unaware that Nishimura's Mari was popular among US fans. Given she's new for these movies, there wasn't any backlash to take into account like with the Netflix recasts.

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:12 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Awesome find Bernardo, I just hope Tiffany is in there as well ^_^

Oh, she is. https://youtu.be/FTyC2eMzFP0

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:05 pm

View Original PostItalyzpizza wrote:Oh, she is. https://youtu.be/FTyC2eMzFP0

Thank you this made my day ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:11 pm

I wonder when Amazon plans to add pages for 1.11, 2.22 and 3.33 in the US. Because over there they only seem to have 3.0+1.01.

DiracSea902
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DiracSea902 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:15 pm

Why couldn't they bring Tristan MacAvery back as Gendo? I know ADV kinda blackballed him because of a publicity dispute or some such, but that shouldn't extend to Amazon, right?

WILLE_Coyote
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby WILLE_Coyote » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:17 pm

Spike Spencer, Tiffany Grant, Allison Keith and John Swasey returning is what I hoped for, so I'm glad they got them back. Amanda Winn Lee returning really surprises me; it'll be interesting to hear how her take on Rei has changed after two decades and a continuity change. Wish they could’ve gotten Trina Nishimura as well, but if it is due to personal stuff I really can't complain.
"Unfortunately, we quickly forget the lessons we learned. And then we have to learn them all over again." - Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:24 pm

GentlemanX wrote:I think it's interesting that the Portuguese dub matches the Netflix dub rather than previous versions

It's like I said. The Portuguese dubs of Neon Genesis Evangelion are somewhat consistent when compared to the English ones. The Netflix release saw almost all of the voice actors coming back. Those that were changed were mostly for the better. Couple that with a better script and you have a dub that almost everyone enjoys.
Speaking of it, segments of Q's Portuguese dub were leaked. I'm super happy with what I saw. I'm definitely going to be watching these movies twice in a row (sub + dub)! :lol:
Keep your eyes open! It's possible that the English version will also be leaked!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”