Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:09 am

I wanna pose two questions to the sequel/loop theory people:

1) What do you think a sequel or loop would add to series, thematically?

2) Do you think Anno is a shit writer?

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:20 am

Damn son, I was just pointing out how neat the 1.0 recreation was in that particular scene in Shin trailer, look at that hair movement!
FXArmaros98 wrote:Shinji and Asuka's hair is slightly different from 2.0 to 3.0, one thing I noticed is that Shinji at the end of 3.0 have brown hair while now he has black hair again .. With Asuka and Kaworu it often happens in official merchandise and in various artworks, sometimes Kaworu have white hair other times he has silver hair, while Asuka like Fujiko Mine from Lupin goes from being blonde, redhead and light brown...

To be frank, Rebuild has a very inconsistent art style even within one film yet the jump between art style is not really noticeable with how the scenes flowed, but it's very clear when you're just looking at the stills. Take a look at these screenshots from different scenes across the three films (I put on spoiler toggle because it's too big):
SPOILER: Show

3.0 is quite (in)famous with its new "chin design" by Takeshi Honda and the style is pretty consistently used throughout the film, Shin also followed this style despite Honda being apparently and jarringly absent in the production based on the revealed staff credits.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:24 am

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:I wanna pose two questions to the sequel/loop theory people:

Honestly I don't know how to answer you ... It makes me think that the fact that Anno may want to join the anime and Rebuild is a way to give his definitive goodbye to the franchise that he created himself ...If I have to be honest if the loop theory were confirmed or completely denied it would not change anything for me, it is enough just to decide that to end with the films ..

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:27 am

That's exactly what I was going to say to him, GhostlyOcam! The difference in hair color is the result of lighting the environment.

@The_Max: Thank you for details, I actually know that's about messages, I just didn't want to go into detail, and I'm without my reference material right now.

I know I'm wrong saying that but you could edit your quotes, you're putting a quote inside another quote. This is bizarre!
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:33 am

There's a lot of quoting of the whole previous post going on in this thread. Just because you can is no reason to do it all the time.

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote: And in the Japanese title there's a symbol of musical repetition, which is interpreted as a loop
Which all depends whether you count the ꞉ after the text as part of the 𝄂 or as a separator between them (either end of the repeat section 𝄇 or end of the whole work 𝄂)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Velorex
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Velorex » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:37 am

I dont get why people threat over the hair color of the character in the trailer. The only other character in all of Rebuilds that has a similar color is Asuka.
"the master of a cruel angel's hypothesis"

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:43 am

@Mr. Tines it's more likely to be :||, so it follows the other patterns, like 『:序、:破、:Q』or ":1.0, :2.0, :3.0" ← these are the two forms that the official social networks of the franchise use, perhaps the colon is not a separator.
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:46 am

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:I wanna pose two questions to the sequel/loop theory people:

With two simple questions, you said everything hahaha
I was never a fan of "loop theory", because I think that doesn't add anything relevant to the series. I prefer the three main works to be separated, so that their characters develop more freely in each one.
What would be the point of wasting screen time explaining the complexity of an entire multiverse, when you can focus on more mundane things (like character interactions) and get more interesting results? At least, that's what I think.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:50 am

I just think there's no real reason to erase all the progress Shinji's made in the original series by tying it to the rebuild. "Keep trying until you succeed" is one thing but having a Godlike character resetting the timeline for you is another.

If you're trying to learn how to snowboard and you keep falling down, you would just get back up and try again. You wouldn't ask God to rewind time for you to right before you fall. How can you learn from your mistakes... if you don't remember them?

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:01 pm

This so much.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

CSPAN
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CSPAN » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:18 pm

I think, based on the title of the movie alone, there will be some time-related shenanigans, but it remains to be seen what they are and how far it goes.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:08 pm

1. If this series is an explicit sequel to NGE, then it becomes necessary for people to view the original series first. Repetition becomes an actual theme of the story, instead of some fun window dressing. The relationship becomes like that of BioShock and BioShock Infinite instead of BioShock and System Shock.

Once we're obligated to acknowledge the original series instead of ignore it, the Rebuilds become a criticism of today's moviegoers. We've trapped the characters in a time loop, because we want to see them experience the same things over and over, but with slight variations. Think of Star Wars: The Force Awakens or any of the recent Disney remakes.

At the same time, the repetitive nature of Shinji's existence parallels the cyclical nature of depression, how everything seems to be one step forward, two steps back. If Shinji makes a little progress with each loop, but it's a constant struggle, is that not a good metaphor? When Kaworu talked about the repetition of piano practice, he seemed to be talking about both the artistic process and life in general. "Just keep doing it again and again and slowly you'll get better." (Heavily paraphrased)

This would make the Rebuilds a perfect thematic evolution of NGE, which was both a critique of otaku culture and a commentary on the human condition. A proper sequel would also be both of these things. If the Rebuilds are not a sequel, then the obligation to watch the original is gone, and the meta becomes the stuff of fanwank.

Or maybe I just think it's cool, and am pulling shit out of my ass to justify it.

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:I just think there's no real reason to erase all the progress Shinji's made in the original series by tying it to the rebuild. "Keep trying until you succeed" is one thing but having a Godlike character resetting the timeline for you is another.

If you're trying to learn how to snowboard and you keep falling down, you would just get back up and try again. You wouldn't ask God to rewind time for you to right before you fall. How can you learn from your mistakes... if you don't remember them?

Good point!

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:31 pm

While connecting the original series with the Rebuilds might enrich the experience of the latter, I do believe that it would also devalue the ending of NGE. That would cease to be a conclusion, turning into a mere transition point.
The whole idea behind episodes 25, 26 and The End of Evangelion (in my opinion) is that nothing is perfect, but that's fine. If you keep pushing it through and trying to be a better person every day, you may indeed find moments of happiness.
That may go hand to hand with the concept of "loop" in theory. But maturing is not just about redoing the same things over and over. Of course, you will repeat some mistakes here and there. But it's your ability to remember about those that makes you learn. However, according to the theory, this is not what is happening to Shinji and Asuka.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:02 pm

I feel like we've derailed this thread so hard with shipping talk and loop/sequel talk :facepalm:. Let's bring them here https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/20216/Loop-Theory-I-Really-was-born-to-meet-you/

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:10 pm

Do you think that the images of Shinji staring angry and that Gendo with the damaged visor are really in sequence or Anno as usual is trolling us?

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:14 pm

I think it's intentionally misleading as I wrote in another thread

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I think Midori may actually be arguing with Misato and Ritsuko about letting Shinji pilot Unit 01, as she is frightened of him and what he can do inside an Evangelion. She may also be the one to have harmed (shot?) Misato.

When Shinji is brought on the Wunder deck she seems to be the one more disturbed by his presence (her eyes are twitching while the rest of bunnies are perfectly still). She is also the one bridge bunny doubting Misato's decision to counterattack the Mark.04C the most, as she doesn't want to die yet.

She has a big distrust in Shinji and she also doesn't seem to blindly believe in Misato, so that would make sense to me. Shinji's aggressive reaction may not be to Gendo but to Midori/Ritsuko attacking Misato.

My personal guess is that Misato, Ritsuko, Shinji and Midori are in one scene, Gendo is a red herring and in a completely different scene with a Rei clone and Fuytsuki.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:25 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I think it's intentionally misleading as I wrote in another thread

View Original PostJoseki#903783 wrote:I think Midori may actually be arguing with Misato and Ritsuko about letting Shinji pilot Unit 01, as she is frightened of him and what he can do inside an Evangelion. She may also be the one to have harmed (shot?) Misato.

When Shinji is brought on the Wunder deck she seems to be the one more disturbed by his presence (her eyes are twitching while the rest of bunnies are perfectly still). She is also the one bridge bunny doubting Misato's decision to counterattack the Mark.04C the most, as she doesn't want to die yet.

She has a big distrust in Shinji and she also doesn't seem to blindly believe in Misato, so that would make sense to me. Shinji's aggressive reaction may not be to Gendo but to Midori/Ritsuko attacking Misato.

My personal guess is that Misato, Ritsuko, Shinji and Midori are in one scene, Gendo is a red herring and in a completely different scene with a Rei clone and Fuytsuki.

Maybe. Midori is honestly very unpleasant to me, however I think Shinji is really staring at Gendo from what I understood a few months ago the voice actress of Shinji and that of Gendo were together recording a long dubbing section on the last film so it is logical to think that at least one unpleasant conversation between father and son there will be ... Regarding Midori I would be happy if Shinji had an outburst of anger on her Misato and Ritsuko for telling him nothing ... Maybe Shinji will scold Midori for her lack of trust in Misato and telling her that she is not the only one suffering in this chaotic world and that he can make up for it by going against his father ...

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:02 pm

I think Midori is just reacting to her watch saying its Final Impact O clock
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:06 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I think Midori is just reacting to her watch saying its Final Impact O clock

Really very likely, I think Ritsuko is also screaming then because the AAA Wunder doesn't seem able to do anything to destroy the Guf's Door

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:11 pm

There's a whole lot of taking for granted that any given shot in the trailer directly relates to any other and they appear in any sort of chronological order.

Go back and watch the previews/trailers for 2.0 and 3.0 - everything's mixed up. In the 2.0 trailers shots from the Tunniel, Clockiel, Bardiel, Zeruel, and Sahaquiel scenes are all intermingled. Off the top of my head how at least one trailer is cut you would think that shot of Mari looking up at cross-explosions is from the end of the film, but as we know it's the opening scene after she ejects from Unit-05

Also there could be a whole lot you're not seeing. For example just 15 minutes ago I watched that new Pixar film "Soul". The trailer for that doesn't even cover half the events in the film.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”