Loop Theory (I Really was born to meet you)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Loop Theory (I Really was born to meet you)

Postby dzzthink » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:46 pm

With all the hype before release, it should be expected that loop/time travel theories get brought up. Not only that but the weird events in Eva 3.33 and the teasers only add fuel to the fire, as seen with all the discussions here, on Reichu's blog and Youtube commentaries videos by people like EvaMonkey, intermediate O, and that goat guy. Big questions like toddler Asuka, Eva 3.33 time-skip and missing story, Shinji piloting unit 1 again, and Kaworu's re-appearance will have to be answered or else these discussions will never end!
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Blockio » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:58 pm

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:as seen with all the discussions here, on Reichu's blog

I don't think Reichu has brought up sequel/loop things at all on her blog, outside from a disclaimer in her very first post that she finds it an utter waste of time and won't talk about it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby dzzthink » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:03 pm

I mean just general Eva speculation based on her interpretation of the trailers, as well as other stuff about the characters (most recently Mari!). I would really prefer definite answers to some of the long-running questions on Eva but I'm open to reading further analysis after the movie about some nuances in the story as a whole. I just hope I don't feel confused after watching it :???: .
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Blockio » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:25 pm

Ah, gotcha. You'll definitely be confused after the first watch, anyone will just for the density of these films, but I'm convinced that it is nothing that can't be solved if you look at it carefully.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:20 am

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:I hate the idea personally, but just to correct you in Final Fantasy VII Remake's case it's not a theory.

A lot of that's been discussed to heck and back in the last few pages here, if you'd like to discuss it further! :emogendo:

But just to quickly clarify: that Chapter 18 plot point of the Party
MAJOR Chapter 18 ending  SPOILER: Show
literally defeating Fate (which involves "Sephiroth" exploding into Whispers could easily be seen as the Planet testing them), though.

Aerith and Sephiroth's seemingly "extra" Lifestream knowledge is them interpreting things in different ways.

When it comes to Biggs and Zack's survival, though, plenty of in-universe ways to explain that. A reverse Back to the Future in Zack's case (stopping fate fixed Zack's fate 3 months before Remake's events) while Biggs could've survived due to Yuffie (with her DLC around the corner) helping to saving him.

Sadly the English localization doesn't do a good job of making certain things clear, the Japanese (and other localizations such as French, German, etc) really clarify the game a heck of a lot better. Being an FF7 fan since '97, I was pretty peeved that Remake's EN localization didn't get things right. Despite a few screw ups due to lack of context and only one guy translating a single screen at a time, the original FF7 was a closer translation in tone/nuance/etc. Sighs
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

mastafishere
Lilith

Postby mastafishere » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:52 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:
View Original Postmastafishere#911885 wrote:I hate the idea personally, but just to correct you in Final Fantasy VII Remake's case it's not a theory.

A lot of that's been discussed to heck and back in the last few pages here, if you'd like to discuss it further! :emogendo:

But just to quickly clarify: that Chapter 18 plot point of the Party
MAJOR Chapter 18 ending  SPOILER: Show
literally defeating Fate (which involves "Sephiroth" exploding into Whispers could easily be seen as the Planet testing them), though.

Aerith and Sephiroth's seemingly "extra" Lifestream knowledge is them interpreting things in different ways.

When it comes to Biggs and Zack's survival, though, plenty of in-universe ways to explain that. A reverse Back to the Future in Zack's case (stopping fate fixed Zack's fate 3 months before Remake's events) while Biggs could've survived due to Yuffie (with her DLC around the corner) helping to saving him.

Sadly the English localization doesn't do a good job of making certain things clear, the Japanese (and other localizations such as French, German, etc) really clarify the game a heck of a lot better. Being an FF7 fan since '97, I was pretty peeved that Remake's EN localization didn't get things right. Despite a few screw ups due to lack of context and only one guy translating a single screen at a time, the original FF7 was a closer translation in tone/nuance/etc. Sighs

Fair enough. Personally and with genuine respect to you, I disagree with your interpretation but it’s not worth arguing over (especially as this is the wrong forum to do so).

I’ll instead amend my concern for Evangelion going the sequel or loop theory route because of how my PERCEPTION of Final Fantasy VII Remake’s ending ruined my enjoyment and investment in that game. Basically it was tried once with a beloved property (again, as I see it) and I thought it was lame.

For what it’s worth, I hope FFVII Remake Part 2 proves YOU right!

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:03 am

I just realized I posted a new post on this thread despite having said I wouldn't do so until Shin comes out last year. I'd forgotten all about that statement! Which is sort of embarrassing.

Shin will come out soon, so I might or might not be active in this thread again at that time, but for now I'll just quietly go away-unless moderation purposes invite me here once again.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Postby Jäeger » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:29 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:
View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:With that said, if you take "Loop Theory" into consideration, what happens next? The entire universe is restarted just so that Shinji and Asuka can revisit the same "lesson" they just learned. It is the opposite character development. None of the maturity that these guys gained during the last beats of Evangelion makes a come back. You can literally swap the original series out and plug in Super Mario 3D World and every single NTE character would still act in exactly the same way.

And that's why Sadamoto's ending was so coward and shitty.

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Honestly I wouldn't say it's "quite unusual in other media", that whole all-timelines-are-connectecd crap is pretty much exclusive to the superhero genre.

Bit of a tangent, but I do feel like people coming from superhero comics to Eva and expecting it to work from the same principles is responsible for at least part of how prevalent this whole thing is.
EDIT: As SSD points out, anime and manga operates quite differently in general. Even franchises like Getter Robo where it's a rare sight that a new series isn't a direct rehash of the first one or "first one, but X" to my knowledge has no business doing time loops; at most, you get something like a "all of these timelines have a one way portal to the same seperate dimension", but that's kinda it

My mistake there trying to explain myself. Maybe the best example are the limited series which tell alternate stories. Yeah, they use the same characters but developed another way. And it's not an alternate continuity : the writer just wanted to tell an story with no relation with the main series.

View Original Postmastafishere wrote: I can't take the story seriously anymore and it's all wrecked because they really wove it into the narrative. Fans defend it as "Brilliant!" for it's meta commentary on remakes, but I feel like it's the kind of plot twist a 12 year old who thinks they're smart would come up.

I'm hoping Eva doesn't make the same mistake. I know that they've all been debunked and the fandom generally doesn't believe in it, but I'm still afraid that it'll be confirmed true next week. I don't want any Loop or sequels or any other BS. Just finish the story that you started as satisfying as possible.

Nomura has the writing skills of a 12 year old :D :D :D
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby WunderBah » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:14 pm

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:I was really into the sequel theory when I was an Eva Noob just because it was "lol kewl and anno le troll" including also worshipping that damn /a/ collage still held up as the Holy Bible of the loopers after TEN FREAKING YEARS. But now I have had a love-hate relationship with the loop idea, bordering on hate due to the smugness of the loopers. And they call US smug!

Same.

Though for me I'm at the point where i flat out loath the idea nowadays, especially after what happened with FF7 Remake ("disappointment" doesn't even begin to cover how i felt) which prompted even more comparisons between that project and NTE.

Anno pulling the same shit is something i will never let go on an emotional level, not that I'm expecting it to happen at the very least.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:38 pm

I love how FF7 has so many things in common and was presumably directly shaped by Eva, but I'm not really thrilled at the fact that its own Rebuild is going full looper. Even then it's likely going into the less insane parallel timeline camp. I can tolerate it and I can draw curiosity from it, though, if only because it's FF7, I have different priorities when it comes to it.

And I don't want to beat a dead horse but I still don't understand what the "Asuka's old suit from the Q AVANT vaguely matches a single frame from Maya's computer in EOE" is supposed to mean, prove or achieve, especially after Q came out and all expectations, including "OMG THEY'RE TOTALLY ACKNOWLEDGING TEH LOOPZ", were subverted.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:10 am

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:And I don't want to beat a dead horse but I still don't understand what the "Asuka's old suit from the Q AVANT vaguely matches a single frame from Maya's computer in EOE" is supposed to mean, prove or achieve, especially after Q came out and all expectations, including "OMG THEY'RE TOTALLY ACKNOWLEDGING TEH LOOPZ", were subverted.

Well, the infamous 4chan collage was produced before 3.0 was released, so I assume they thought that the loop would play a big part in the movie's plot. And part of that somehow included Asuka in Rebuild being swapped for Asuka in the original show? Either way, them continuing to use it as loop evidence, even after 3.0 clearly established that this Asuka is still Shikinami, is really perplexing.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Postby Jäeger » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:11 am

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:
View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man#912150 wrote:And I don't want to beat a dead horse but I still don't understand what the "Asuka's old suit from the Q AVANT vaguely matches a single frame from Maya's computer in EOE" is supposed to mean, prove or achieve, especially after Q came out and all expectations, including "OMG THEY'RE TOTALLY ACKNOWLEDGING TEH LOOPZ", were subverted.

Well, the infamous 4chan collage was produced before 3.0 was released, so I assume they thought that the loop would play a big part in the movie's plot. And part of that somehow included Asuka in Rebuild being swapped for Asuka in the original show? Either way, them continuing to use it as loop evidence, even after 3.0 clearly established that this Asuka is still Shikinami, is really perplexing.

Because outside there are people who like to believe that Eva is more cryptic that what really is.

It's the only explanation I have.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:38 pm

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:
View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man#911674 wrote:I was really into the sequel theory when I was an Eva Noob just because it was "lol kewl and anno le troll" including also worshipping that damn /a/ collage still held up as the Holy Bible of the loopers after TEN FREAKING YEARS. But now I have had a love-hate relationship with the loop idea, bordering on hate due to the smugness of the loopers. And they call US smug!

Same.

Though for me I'm at the point where i flat out loath the idea nowadays, especially after what happened with FF7 Remake ("disappointment" doesn't even begin to cover how i felt) which prompted even more comparisons between that project and NTE.

Anno pulling the same shit is something i will never let go on an emotional level, not that I'm expecting it to happen at the very least.

to be fair, if that's where they're going with FF7R, I can get into it, depending on how they go about it.

never been fond of the Eva loop theories though.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Postby bladerj » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:40 pm

View Original Postxtr00kvltcorex wrote:
View Original PostWunderBah#912126 wrote:
Same.

to be fair, if that's where they're going with FF7R, I can get into it, depending on how they go about it.

never been fond of the Eva loop theories though.

but anno always said evangelion is a cyclic story
ANATA BAKA !?

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Derantor » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:42 pm

Everybody, please stop fullquoting posts - and try to make your replies more than one sentence, because despite the current Shin release hype going on, this is still a forum, not a chatroom! Thank you!
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Eva Dragon
Embryo

Postby Eva Dragon » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:51 pm

It doesn't have to do with the loop theory itself, but some people on 4chan say that the movie will have a different epilogue for each theatre, lol. :facepalm: :lol:

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Derantor » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:54 pm

This is the thread you are looking for.

Please try to keep to the topic of the threads you're posting in. Also: Welcome on board! ^_^
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Eva Dragon
Embryo

Postby Eva Dragon » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:28 pm

View Original PostDerantor wrote:This is the thread you are looking for.

Please try to keep to the topic of the threads you're posting in. Also: Welcome on board! ^_^

Sorry, thanks.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:01 pm

View Original PostEva Dragon wrote:It doesn't have to do with the loop theory itself, but some people on 4chan say that the movie will have a different epilogue for each theatre, lol. :facepalm: :lol:

Yeah that was just 2ch screwing with people. No reports of anyone leaving the cinema claiming different endings.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:09 pm

So, was it the meta loop at the end? Parallel iterations in the Eva multiverse with Kaworu as the constant?
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”