Loop Theory (I Really was born to meet you)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Loop Theory (I Really was born to meet you)

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:22 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:
View Original PostVenomAlon#911639 wrote:The musical sign that we can see at the end of the title of the last evangelion movie is a RITORNELO or repeat sign.

If you consider ":" as part of the symbol, yes, but if you don't consider it, it just means "final" (𝄂)
Remembering the Japanese titles:『:序』,『:破』,『:Q』

For what it's worth, the symbol seemingly stands for "Da Capo", considering one of Utada's new tracks for the film. It's a leak discussed in this thread: thread/20136/The-Music-of-3010/60/

Sure, I think an internal time loop could be happening (but any weirdness could just as equally be metaphysically happening, in Shin Eva's version of Instrumentality). Though when it comes to Rebuild and EoE Sequel Theory or whatever else? I don't really think that's the case, because any evidence has so far been explained in-universe thanks to Rebuild's First/Second Impacts, etc. Or will be a mystery explained in Shin Eva.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Blockio » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:26 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:We're here because if you want a proper discussion regarding a theory or idea, it needs to be held up to scrutiny first, otherwise if everyone talks about how correct the theory is, all you have is an echo chamber

Exactly that, and the reason I have so little patience for this "theory" is that every single time there is a discussion around it, the evidence for it is skin deep at best, while the evidence against it, even when it is right there in plain sight, just gets brushed off as "reaching too much" or "not having any meaning at all". That is not analysis, that is wishful thinking without basis.

And as pwhodges says; going forward, spare us whatever evidence you think there is in-universe. Explain why you think it's true. What thematic significance is there for having the two timelines be connected? Why would Anno do that, especially considering how all of the talk in Q was about not being mired in the past? What would Anno achieve by making the two connected, other than undermining himself?
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:32 pm

For what it's worth, the symbol seemingly stands for "Da Capo", considering one of Utada's new tracks for the film

Da Capo in my language the Italian means starting over from the beginning. Some fans my conational have speculated that the musical symbol of repetition present in the Japanese title of 3.0 + 1.0 could appear in Shinji's SDAT to start over with the playlist when he has finished to listen all of the tracks.
Last edited by FXArmaros98 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:33 pm

That'd be a cheesy enough emotional tug at the old heartstrings to make me tear up. Yes please!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:38 pm

View Original PostVenomAlon wrote:And this is the reason why I decided to make an account, by users like Jäeger, Jayfive and Blockio who have been treating people like trash for theorizing about the possibility of the loop and reboots in evangelions world.

One thing, you dont have all the truth, and another, this is a thread about loop theory, if you dont like it, why are you here in this thread? People here wants to share his opinions and thoughs about this, and dont need someone to tell us that the theories are worthy of a child.

Later if i have time i will theorize about two things people could think i am crazy.

The hell are you singling me out for? I haven't said a damn thing about you. All I said was "try to see the other side". Something you still refuse to do. You claim to be arguing in good faith, I try and meet you halfway and you spit it back in my face.

Bit f**king rich to accuse me of "treating people like trash" when I've not posted in this thread before now.

Up to this point I didn't think you were acting in bad faith. I sure as shit do now.
Last edited by Jayfive on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:42 pm

That'd be a cheesy enough emotional tug at the old heartstrings to make me tear up. Yes please!

Sailor Star Dust this hypothesis was said by a guy on a live in a Facebook page of Italian fans, too bad we ended up starting to joke a lot about the SDAT, one of the guests of the Live said that at the end of the Playlist an annoying noise made by Anno would start playing that lasted indefinitely and I too could not resist feeding the stupidity of the situation by commenting that Shinji could throw the SDAT in Gendo's face thus causing the damage we see on his viewer in the trailer :tongue:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:45 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:
For what it's worth, the symbol seemingly stands for "Da Capo", considering one of Utada's new tracks for the film

Da Capo in my language the Italian means starting over from the beginning. Some fans my conational have speculated that the musical symbol of repetition present in the Japanese title of 3.0 + 1.0 could appear in Shinji's SDAT to start over with the playlist when he has finished to listen all of the tracks.

Plot twist: Shinji was listening to Utada’s upcoming Shin Eva adjacent album the whole time.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:51 pm

Plot twist: Shinji was listening to Utada’s upcoming Shin Eva adjacent album the whole time.

It would be wonderful, I remember that one of the possible endings of the PC game The Shinji Ikari Raising Projects that the player could get was Shinji becoming a rock star (if I wanted to write a fan fiction about that non-canonical timeline then Shinji would be married to Utada :wink: )

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:32 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:For what it's worth, the symbol seemingly stands for "Da Capo", considering one of Utada's new tracks for the film. It's a leak discussed in this thread: thread/20136/The-Music-of-3010/60/

I mean, I don't know if this is called "Da capo", but it seems that it is designated as a "repeat sign".
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

VenomAlon
Embryo

Postby VenomAlon » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:33 pm

Hello,

I want to apologize for my rude behavior towards some users of this forum. At the end of the day we are all evangelion fans despite our differences. Lets enjoy the last film.

And i am not from reddit, neither 4chan

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:39 pm

^
I think that the abrupt way that you appeared here and passive-agressive behavior, made people have a bad impression of you.
Apology accepted.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:51 pm

I'd like to point out that Anno's original comments about starting NTE gets brought up as fuel for the time-loop theory.

"Eva is a story of repetition....blah blah blah....protagonist faces the same situation many times over...blah blah blah...."

These comments IIRC are also part of that annoying collage. But I'd also like to point out that repetition doesn't have to mean time-looping and as was stated before, simpler answers are far more valued than overly complex ones. Go drive to your nearest upper-middle class neighborhood and look for a kid learning to ride a bike. The kid is naturally going to fall on their first attempt. But when you see them pick themselves up (with or without the help of good ol' dad watching from the distance) get back on the bike and give it another go, no one is going to think "Whoa! That kid just time traveled!" because we all know better.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:35 pm

It doesn't help that Final Fantasy VII, the Evangelion of Video Games, is openly leaning into timeloop stuff with its own Rebuild. Even then, it's just pointing at parallel timelines.

Some guy at Reddit called it before the game got released and the first reply was "pls no, this is not evangelion" like the loop is fact. (well, FF7 does have a lot in common with Eva but that's a whole another rabbit hole) And once someone asked "is that even confirmed", he got flooded by "at this point is all but confirmed and even khara is in denial!!!" type posts.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:42 pm

I’d like to go back to the first posters for the movie

The words that still we do not really know what they are saying

After that and the end.

Not and anti.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

Postby BusterMachine4 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:52 pm

I think those words are probably just Engrish. Since the sentence isn’t coherent in English, and we still haven’t figured out what it means, I’m inclined to think that it’s just butchered English inserted to sound cool (a Japanese obsession that I never understood).

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Blockio » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:04 pm

View Original PostVenomAlon wrote:I want to apologize for my rude behavior towards some users of this forum. At the end of the day we are all evangelion fans despite our differences. Lets enjoy the last film.

I overstepped myself, my apologies for that; the "idiots" was uncalled for.
I'll try to explain my thought process in more detail.

The fundamental problem with loop/sequel debate is that at the end of the day, it is basically the same discussion every time. The points brought up by its advocates are Kaworu's lines, the red seas, the blood stains on the moon, the outline in Tokyo-3, whatever else was on that - at this point you could probably call it infamous - 4chan image comp and the occasional one or two other points.
Dead horse debates are nothing new of course, and there are quite a few in Eva that get retreaded over and over (what's the meaning of the beach scene, Unit 00's soul, in general everything relating to EoE or shipping), some of them with more substance to them than others.
The problem with sequel/loop theory in particular is that the premise of it undermines the premise of Rebuild. Q goes out of its way to show that there is no way to undo the past, and that you shouldn't cling on to things that lay in the past; Fuyutsuki and Kaworu both tell Shinji and, by extension, the viewer.
By itself that is still not a problem, and I have had debates about this topic that were thoughtful, but unfortunately, those are firmly the exception rather than the rule, and the average debate will simply be a near 1:1 repeat of a debate that has already taken place and, and has happened today, a lot of it is the advocates of the theory brushing aside any in-universe explanation for a far weaker metaphysical one.

Now, why am I saying all of this and more importantly, why do I consider it a problem.
To put it short and not delve into old drama for too long, I know of quite a handful of long term members who have been driven off the forums entirely by that debate and more specifically the mindset surrounding it, that any thought-out theory gets dismissed as reaching or just a conspiracy while advocating for things that have been presented and debunked numerous times.
I am obviously not yet at the stage where I consider leaving the forum, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't understand the sentiment; replying "this is just coincidence, that proves nothing" to an argument whenever it doesn't fit with your thesis is just not the way to analyze media, and when that becomes the standard of debate on a forum dedicated to analysis, it is a problem.

TLDR - I apologize for my choice of words, but I stand by my opinion that the standard of debate in this thread needs to be more evidence-focused
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:22 pm

View Original PostVenomAlon wrote:Hello,

I want to apologize for my rude behavior towards some users of this forum. At the end of the day we are all evangelion fans despite our differences. Lets enjoy the last film.

And i am not from reddit, neither 4chan

It's cool, man. We all feel strongly over stuff, mostly because we love Evangelion as much as we do. I definitely want EGF to be a place where we can discuss all ideas, we just need to being something new to the table when we do. Even those who don't hold to Loop/Sequel Theory have to do this when they discuss their own ideas.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Postby Jäeger » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:52 am

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:
View Original PostBlockio#911670 wrote: you looper idiots refuse to listen to them because it doesn't fit with your preconcieved excuse of a theory.

Funny thing how so many people don't understand that a time loop is the groundhog day.

@ Blockio and Jäeger with all due respect insulting people and bullshitting them is not the best way to show them that they may not be right about everything. Everyone has their own opinion if some people believe that the loop = Sequel then at least wait for the film to come out and then finally we will be able to judge it as completely denied.

It's not about theories, is a about the proper use of the "time loop" concept". In that trope the starting point is always the same, 1:1.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Shun
Lilith

Postby Shun » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:27 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:I’d like to go back to the first posters for the movie

The words that still we do not really know what they are saying

After that and the end.

Not and anti.

About this you can read my hypothesis (in Italian, but you can translate it with google) here: Anti-finale
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
My articles about Evangelion
My Evangelion website

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Blockio » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:42 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:It's not about theories, is a about the proper use of the "time loop" concept". In that trope the starting point is always the same, 1:1.

That's not a time loop, that's an alternate universe that starts the same.
Not to mention that this is not the case for NTE, as there are quite significant differences in the lore and setup compared to NGE.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”