The Music of 3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: The Music of 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:42 am

Gendo'sPapa, that could be the case, but that 3rd disc came with the first press release of the 3.0 bluray only. In the case of 1.0, two albums exist, edited and unedited music. 2.0 had a special edition album that contained both.

It could be the case and would be less cumbersome for sure. I think Eva deserves its soundtrack easily available like that. But this would be the first time it happens in a single release like this.

I think it'll be what you said too thiugh, cause even with a long film I dunno if it'd take up an entire extra disc when compared to something like 3.0.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:40 pm

The product description on the website so far only mentions about full size songs, so until a track list comes out it's safe to assume that those three discs are the full songs and perhaps a few bonus tracks like 3.0 followed by the film edit album latter.

Rebuild has a pretty weird soundtrack release history tho. MSF 1.0 and 3.0 were released a few weeks after the films while OSTs came out much later with 3.0 being bundled with the Bluray, while 2.0 had both OST and MSF released as a special edition bundle.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:12 am

Shiro has just posted a video of some vocal recordings that he dubbed as a confidential video, that he’s just realising anyway haha boss!

I don’t know how to upload the video but check it out, if it’s from shin evangelion, then I can only assume the soundtrack will be an absolute masterpiece

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:30 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:Shiro has just posted a video of some vocal recordings that he dubbed as a confidential video, if it’s from shin evangelion, then I can only assume the soundtrack will be an absolute masterpiece

Actually no, It's from the BGM for Nadia- Secret of Blue Water's Final episode.
But it's not new that Sagisu re-used some Nadia tracks in 3.0, so who knows? :emogendo:
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:31 am

I've no idea why Sagisu would record a new set of vocals for al old TV series unless it was going to be used for a new product. I guess it can be used as a special feature in the Standard Blu-ray release of Nadia, but it doesn't seem likely that there would be new content in a standard version release.

If we get more Nadia BGM in Shin Eva, I'm gonna freak out.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:09 pm

I played with some filters for the Music from Shin Eva cover and it looks quite beautiful without the extreme brightness, especially with the more visible colors on the film's titles, which makes me wonder if the actual packaging will be holographic. (Also, not saying that my edit looks better than the original one since the brightness is sure intentional, just did this one out of curiosity.)

Velorex
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Velorex » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:49 pm

https://twitter.com/ShiroSAGISU_twi/status/1348187677850406913
ShiroSAGISU's twitter just posted this little track. Anyone recognize it?
SPOILER: Show
鷺巣詩郎
@ShiroSAGISU_twi
·
18h
新年のご挨拶と思ったが…
それどこじゃなく元旦から
ハリウッドの女王パトリシア・サリヴァンと
#シンエヴァ 仕上げ作業

3枚組CDで総尺3時間から4時間の間!
そりゃ正月返上っきゃない

発売まで1ヶ月 そろそろ完成間近!!

動画は「皆様の良き年の序奏」になれば、と
"the master of a cruel angel's hypothesis"

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:56 am

Google translate of the tweet -

18h
I thought it was a New Year's greeting, but ...
From New Year's Day, not somewhere
With Hollywood Queen Patricia Sullivan
#Shineva Finishing work

A 3-CD set with a total length of 3 to 4 hours!
That's why I have to return the New Year

One month before release, it's almost completed! !!

I hope the video will be "the introduction to everyone's good year"
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:54 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:With Hollywood Queen Patricia Sullivan
#Shineva Finishing work

I just did a digging about who is this mysterious "Hollywood Queen Patricia Sullivan", apparently she is a mastering engineer in Hollywood at Bernie Grundman Mastering (also a legendary mastering studio) and is very well respected in the field. She has mastered works from the likes of James Newton Howard, John Williams, the late James Horner, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, and even several famous singers/bands like U2, Sting, and Barbra Streisand.

According to this commentary by Sagisu himself regarding the hi-res remasters of the Evangelion albums from 2013, she's involved in remastering Jo-Ha-Q's soundtracks, PianoForte, Wind Symphony, and all three volumes of NGE soundtracks.

You can check Sullivan's profile and credits on discogs.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:50 pm

Considering the One Last Kiss album talk over here, I uhh think we cracked the code that the new Beautiful World version might be an insert song?

Keeping in mind, too, this from 2020 on the Eva Extra App:

View Original Postkuro hazama wrote:
When Unit 02 and Mark 09 are fighting at the end the guest says he likes the music in this scene but wonders if... and cuts to Tamashii no rufuran for a while, after they get back to the commentary one of the staff members just said "but yeah, It plays/will play" either meaning that she is confirming to him that a certain song is gonna play in the last film or she is just telling him they are going to obscure the conversation with Tamashii no rufuran in post.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:53 pm

The trailers have made me have this mental image of OLK in the background while Asuka and Mari free fall in their Evas.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:38 pm

I'd have preferred if the surprise song was Cruel Angel's Thesis, as bookends since it's bye bye to all of Evangelion.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:40 pm

@ Kuribo: I know what you mean, just the feeling from the trailer(s) alone with that song usage is incredible!

@ Heaven Piercing Man: For NGE related things (and new albums out there), sure. But the new movies have repeated use of Fly Me to the Moon and Beautiful World, instead.

Regarding the new Beautiful World track, I wonder if Shin Evangelion: || shouldn't officially be called "Shin Evangelion: Da capo", after all? :lol:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:01 pm

I see it the same way as the 2017 Power Rangers movie surprise blasted us with the 1995 movie theme song in the climax.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:21 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Regarding the new Beautiful World track, I wonder if Shin Evangelion: || shouldn't officially be called "Shin Evangelion: Da capo", after all? :lol:

Damn, I was also thinking that "Da Capo Version" actually refers to the film's title! It's literally the symbol's spelling!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:14 am

@SSD: Yeah, especially in the TV Spot the song works beautifully with the images.

@ Da Cspo as the film's title: holy crap.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:42 am

I don't think it's bad to be called “Da Capo”, the Italian language sounds good to my ears. Also, on the TV SPOT the symbol “𝄇” was still unpronounceable, when Misato says the Japanese title.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:16 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Considering the One Last Kiss album talk over here, I uhh think we cracked the code that the new Beautiful World version might be an insert song?

Keeping in mind, too, this from 2020 on the Eva Extra App:

View Original Postkuro hazama#893799 wrote:
When Unit 02 and Mark 09 are fighting at the end the guest says he likes the music in this scene but wonders if... and cuts to Tamashii no rufuran for a while, after they get back to the commentary one of the staff members just said "but yeah, It plays/will play" either meaning that she is confirming to him that a certain song is gonna play in the last film or she is just telling him they are going to obscure the conversation with Tamashii no rufuran in post.

I think it's gonna be played in the Unit 01 vs Eva 13 battle while some weird "flashback/instrumentality/time shenanigan" is going on.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:49 pm

While DC and : || are functionally similar in many contexts, they’re not wholly equivalent.
DC is often paired with an “al fine” or “al coda,” marking to go back to the beginning and either stop at the “fine” or skip to the “coda.”
In my experience, it’s actually really unusual to see a DC without “al fine” or “al coda.” Using the repeat sign is more common.
This page has good visual explanation of the flow, understandable even without reading the music: https://learnmusictheory.net/PDFs/pdffi ... tSigns.pdf

Looking at the structure of Beautiful World, it repeats the chorus thrice and has a total runtime of 5:17. The chorus is ~40 seconds long.
The length of the Da Capo version is 5:58 according to the tracklist, right around the same length of the chorus.
I’m guessing that the DC version recaps the chorus and ends with some sort of “fine.”
i want rebuild

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:59 am

Heaven Piercing Man wrote:I'd have preferred if the surprise song was Cruel Angel's Thesis, as bookends since it's bye bye to all of Evangelion.

Holy hot potatoes, Batman! I like this idea, and I personally think it makes perfect sense for Cruel Angel's Thesis to be the surprise song. First off, a reprise of Beautiful World can hardly be a big surprise, since it was the theme for the first two movies. If it's been sung twice, why not play it again a third time? Fly Me to the Moon was already in the announcement trailer for Evangelion 1.0. No surprise there either. But nobody has ever mentioned Cruel Angel's Thesis in association with the new movies!

Remember, the leaked songlist belongs to Utada, who has never performed a cover version of Cruel Angel's Thesis despite having ample time to do so. Yoko Takahashi still performs renditions of ACAT, now complete with weird costumes and goofy background dancers. How difficult would it be for Anno to get Takahashi to record a new rendition and keep it under an NDA, so that it can be pulled out as a genuine surprise?

If this sounds like too many songs - like One Last Kiss and the Beautiful World Da Capo Version and probably a return of Cruel Angel's Thesis, the fourth act in the Japanese five-act dramatic narrative scheme involves a journey that contains more of song and dance than dialog.

Relevant wikipedia section wrote:Takemoto describes the fourth act as a michiyuki (journey), which eases out of the intense drama of the climactic act, and often consists primarily of song and dance rather than dialogue and plot. The fifth act, then, is a rapid conclusion. All loose ends are tied up, and the play returns to an auspicious setting.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”