What happened to the Evangelion 3.33 blu-ray?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:56 pm

That would be great if it's true, but I'm treating it with total skepticism until they make an official announcement. I've poked them on twitter a few times but they haven't responded with anything yet.

I wonder if this is how Kaworu felt waiting for Shinji to come back? :lol:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:59 pm

Rightstuf still has the release date as TBD, so I'm not buying it.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:42 pm

At this rate, I probably won't buy it until someone gives it a glowing review of it a couple weeks after the official US release date. I'm not even waiting for the release date anymore, I'm waiting for a few weeks after the release date, just to be sure.

apocrypha
Embryo

Postby apocrypha » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:01 am

Let's face it. 3.33 killed the franchise. 3.33 is so ludicrous that Funimation can't even dub it. Anno wasn't pleased that 2.22 didn't completely crap on Shinji, so 3.33 made sure that he would forever ride the idiot ball. EVA 01 became an engine. 3rd impact, near impact, I'm not sure what Impact we are on now. The mysterious Mari is reduced to a sidekick role. Rei II is trapped in EVA 01 and I doubt we will ever see her again. I hope she and Yui are having a lovely reunion. No matter what bizarre crap happens, Gendo folds his hands and maintains that it's all according to plan. They show multiple Rei heads. Rei is not a cyborg. You can't just bolt a new head on her and shove her into an EVA. Buy the way, did you notice that shot of all the empty drinking cups in Mari's EVA? Where is the LCL? Try buying a coke, then jump in a pool and try to suck through the straw. That scene and that scene alone illustrated a complete break down of the Evangelion Universe. And what's up with all the dramatic spotlighting we see at NERV? Some roady from KISS survived the apocalypse? And two upper management guys not only survived what looks to be an all out attack, but are capable of fully automating NERV? What is an Adams vessel? How can you become an Adam's vessel? How did Shinji, in an unfamiliar EVA, know how to disengage Kaworu? Why didn't Kaworu disable Shinji if he sensed something was wrong. EVA 01 was launched into orbit. Which could not have happend if The Spear of Cassius had been removed. Kaworu stopped 3rd (near 3rd?) with Cassius, so why is he so confused when confronted with Lilith? And what mysterious epiphany did he make regarding Gendo, "king of the lillim". Might have been nice to tell Shinji what it was instead of cupping your chin and murmuring vague "quit it" statements.

Ah fuck it. I can take some ambiguity. But I will resist when they try to feed me a shit sandwhich.
Just Seeing Your Rainy Little Face Makes Me Roll My Eyes and Sigh

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:07 am

You're as confused as Shinji; that's the point, really.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:12 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:You're as confused as Shinji; that's the point, really.

^This, and the fact that people never seem to think about the fact there's ANOTHER F#$%^&ING MOVIE LEFT TO GO!!!!!!

I think Funi held off so long because they wanted to put all effort into promoting the DBZ movie, since that's the goose that lays the golden eggs for them.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:23 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:If i'm forced to take any more grains of salt, i swear i'll die of stroke

I know, that's how I feel too after so damn long. :| I'm sure there are situations where Amazon had release dates for things before other sites got the news like Rightstuf, etc or before said release dates are officially announced, but yeah. I'm just thankful this listing isn't the default "December 31st" placeholder date, which is the only maybe-hopeful thing about this case. :sigh:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:30 pm

View Original Postapocrypha wrote:Let's face it. 3.33 killed the franchise. 3.33 is so ludicrous that ...

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's the picture

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:35 pm

I expected the average rebuild film, and i got the best rebuild film
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:43 pm

FWIW, I was merely summarising apocrypha's post.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Sgt. Griff » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:55 pm

I've had enough time to rewatch the entire series and all rebuild movies with the Japanese voices, and get used to them. Although it would be nice to hear Spencer as Shinji again I don't care enough at this point to buy the DVD.

I wonder how many sales Funimation is losing like this.
Leave Shinji alone

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:59 pm

It's kind of weird how they keep mentioning the movie being "complete." Their last twitter post said "While we're waiting for Eva 3.0 to be completed," and the pre-order ad on their site advertises it as "The Complete Movie!" The ads for the other two just say "Available/Order Now!"

3.33 had the fewest changes from the theatrical version, so why wouldn't it be complete? :???:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

TheDrmcvey
Lilith

Postby TheDrmcvey » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:11 am

View Original Postapocrypha wrote:Let's face it. 3.33 killed the franchise.

Oh god, not this again. Really sick and tired of hearing how this movie "killed the franchise! " What was there to be killed? Why can't people accept things that were different from what they expected? Hasn't this ship already sailed? :irked:
3.0 was an entertaining movie in its own special way. I will never understand the intense hatred for that movie.
Eva Rebirth

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:49 am

Hello lovelies, this is a firm reminder that the topic of this thread is "What happened to the Evangelion 3.33 blu-ray?".

Discussions about the quality or merits of the film belong elsewhere.

Please stay on topic. :)

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:53 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-10-02/funimation-aims-to-release-evangelion-3.33-in-early-2016/.93709

More almost news from ANN.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:09 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-10-02/funimation-aims-to-release-evangelion-3.33-in-early-2016/.93709

For your sake, I hope it does! If not, there's always time to release the American Blu Ray of Q on the 10th anniversary of the New Movie Editions (Rebuild) in 2017 or the 25th anniversary of Evangelion in 2020.

:devil:

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:31 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-10-02/funimation-aims-to-release-evangelion-3.33-in-early-2016/.93709

Not news, this is just reiterating information they released in April:

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/585777013333565440

Must be a slow news day.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:59 pm

They talked to some Funimation staff on their podcast and asked about it, that's why it came up.

I listened to the ANNcast in the post, and the Funi reps said that they're still locking in some details, but it's going to have an early 2016 release and they're going to try to have more info about a concrete date next week at NYCC.

But like the host said, we've been burned so many times before, I just don't know if we can love again! :tongue:

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:13 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Not news, this is just reiterating information they released in April:

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/585777013333565440

Must be a slow news day.

Hence my term "Almost news" ;)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:32 pm

So uh, this is some interesting insight with Funi's end finally giving some details: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4639415#4639415

But I didn't think Khara's people would translate things that particularly, though we know the hold-up was Funi's end but still... I mean, what. :uhh:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”