Asuka's role in 3.0 & Beyond

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
libs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby libs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:56 pm

I do feel bad for Shinji and for the first time can really understand his suffering. But the fact is that this kid started TWO impacts. Ok, he didn't mean it, but does that make it ok? No, it doesn't. And he is aware of that. That's what makes the end of Q so powerful for me.
Shinji knows he screwed up unbelievably. By trying to make things right, he made everything worse. He doesn't think he's worth any good by now. That's probably why he is motionless in that scene. It's not catatonia, it's fear of himself. Everything he does is crap, so he won't do anything anymore.
As harsh and heartless as it seems, I don't blame Asuka for being so incredibily brutal with him. In that last scene, Shinji is not the only one suffering. He is not the only victim there. Asuka's brutality is more than justified by the sheer horror that she must have felt when she saw that vortex in the sky. Again. And, willingly or not, he was the source of that. If at first glance she's worried if he is alive or not, that vanishes as soon as her anger kicks in.
Thinking about it now, I came to the conclusion that Asuka and Misato both still don't hate him, but they do hate the things that he did. I think that's why they are so conflicted in this movie.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:56 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Wow, fuck you turns into love you in sheer seconds, this forum always finds a way to impress me.

Fitting to have such an extreme flip of emotions in a thread dedicated to Asuka, no?

Edit: To clear up any misunderstanding, I'm not trying to justify or defend the original "Fuck you."

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.
Last edited by CJD on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shakabutt
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shakabutt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:56 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:It wasn't ME who went "She's just jealous because he thought about Rei" damnit. If you had bothered to properly read my Post, you may have noticed that I was trying to tell the person two posts above that Asukas reaction was probably related to her general living conditions and NOT romantic jealousy and how ludicrous that would be, so how am I the one with any "shipping Agenda"?

As for what kind of person Asuka is, in all of her incarnations: Someone who kicks people while they are down. period. Not allways this literally, but very consistently.

Properly quote your posts next time.

sorry

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:09 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Fitting to have such an extreme flip of emotions in a thread dedicated to Asuka, no?

Meh™. Insulting another member for divergent opinions is still pretty bad in my book, but whatever.
Last edited by Hyper Shinchan on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 pm

As for what kind of person Asuka is, in all of her incarnations: Someone who kicks people while they are down. period. Not allways this literally, but very consistently.

And Skyler is the real villain of Breaking Bad, not the guy who actually kills people and sells meth.

Being geeky and emotionally vulnerable doesn't automatically make Shinji morally superior to Asuka, especially seeing how at this point his catalogue of misdeeds would make even Mack the Knife a bit queasy.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Shakabutt
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shakabutt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:28 pm

So we need an angel for final impact

3.0 pretty much sealed the deal on how an impact starts...you need :

- 1 Eva
- one emotionally unstable kid
- one angel core

Who will it be in Final....

hint hint

SPOILER: Show
bardiel in Asuka's eye

Now, from what Kaworu tells Shinji, instrumentality needs to happen for them to save the world...so my guess is Shinji will need to kill Asuka or start it with her, probably.

Unless some missing angel magically appears from somewhere ofc.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Someone speculated about that a bit back and I basically jizzed my pants over the thought of Shinji having to protect Asuka from being kidnapped by Gendo.

Edit: Yep that's the post I was referring to Seele. Sorry I forgot it was you, nothing personal my memory just sucks.
Last edited by CJD on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:21 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 pm

i am starting to believe that maybe Asuka and her eye are signaling that she will have something to do with starting an impact or instrumentality....HOWEVER!!!! i dont think this means she will have to die....and even if she does its likely she could come back to life ( after all thats what happened in Eoe)....i have a theory that perhaps Shinji will find out how Asuka truly feels ( or felt) about him...and maybe by the end of it he might have to kill her or something in order to start instrumentality...but maybe Rei will do something to prevent it ( as a way to return the favor to Asuka after what Asuka did for her in 2.0). i have a feeling that there will be some development between Shinji and Asuka, and the whole thing with her eye will have something to do with instrumentality, but either way..i think in the end Rei might do something to help and it will all work out...theres also the possibility of Shinji going back in time. perhaps him and Asuka will be able to do it ( its proven that if they have the spear of longinus, and the other spear that they can redo time.) yes in order to do it it must be done by an angel and a human...SOOOO if Asuka has the angel in her or something perhaps she and Shinji will be able to do it..

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:21 am

Does anyone have any theory on Asuka saying,we need to go where the LILIN are ? the only other character to refer to humans as lilins is kaworu,and we all know what he was.
ANATA BAKA !?

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:30 am

inb4 all plot points regarding Asuka's eye are totally dropped or brushed aside in Final.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:32 am

Alternatively Shinji might have to go through Asuka and Wille to do whatever he has to do. Let's say he figures out what has to be done to stop Gendo/ fix the planet. And it requires him in Unit-01. Wille isn't going to listen to anything he has to say, or let him in Unit-01. So Shinji is going to have to fight against the people he cares about. It would fit in with whole dragging himself along even though it's so painful motif. And it would be just horrible for him. Despite everything Shinji does still care a great deal about Asuka. Having to willingly and knowingly go and fight her would be one of the hardest things for him. He'd be constantly trying to convince her to let him do this, and she'd be pointing back that he always makes things worse and is just a kid.

If it's okay for Asuka to come back from the dead, but saving Rei is the end of the world, isn't that a double standerd? That said I really hope Asuka isn't going to die at all this time. I still can't watch that scene from EOE again.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:inb4 all plot points regarding Asuka's eye are totally dropped or brushed aside in Final.

All I know is that the eyepatched glows blue for a moment in the scene after she punches Shinji just before the first title card drop.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 am

Oh wait, here's the number one thing I absolutly don't want to see with Asuka in Final. Spoilers for Squick.
at some point she masturbates over Shinji's comatose form. That's about the worst thing that I think could possibly happen.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:44 am

^ Don't worry, it won't happen, the only one who could possibly do it is Rei, and that is only if she is ordered to.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote: It would fit in with whole dragging himself along even though it's so painful motif. And it would be just horrible for him. Despite everything Shinji does still care a great deal about Asuka. Having to willingly and knowingly go and fight her would be one of the hardest things for him. He'd be constantly trying to convince her to let him do this, and she'd be pointing back that he always makes things worse and is just a kid..

Isn't that pretty much what happened in the finale?

I think the factor that Asuka nearly skewered him with glaive and that he had to go and actually fight her (It's commendable that he CAN do that now, as opposed to the Bardiel fiasco, but it's still something that goes completely against his fundamental nature, something he can't do without smothering part of himself) can't be stressed enough when it comes to evaluating the thing with the spears.

For him, it's been a few days since he threatened to thrash headquarters over what happened to her. It's painfully obvious that he would really like to continue being friends with her.
Just when that ominous music starts and we KNOW this is gonna suck, but Shinji is apparently NOT hearing the BGM, so he keeps up that happy gushing, "Oh, you're alive! I'm so glad!" and then... BAM.

The way he begs her to stop and actually tries to explain sorta makes HIM look like the reasonable one even if Asuka's the one with the correct intel.
The sad thing is, she may have thought he was willingly working for Gendo and interpreted his words as him agreeing with Instrumentality.

As for her eyes(the other also briefly glows when she gets angry), how about just another symptom of having been altered by prolonged contact with EVA?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:08 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Oh wait, here's the number one thing I absolutly don't want to see with Asuka in Final. Spoilers for Squick.
at some point she masturbates over Shinji's comatose form. That's about the worst thing that I think could possibly happen.

View Original Postbladerj wrote:Does anyone have any theory on Asuka saying,we need to go where the LILIN are ? the only other character to refer to humans as lilins is kaworu,and we all know what he was.

Well, you said it yourself. Does Gendo or Seele ever refer to humans as Lilin that I might be forgetting? Otherwise there's a clear distinction between the side who uses the term "Lilin" and the side who doesn't: Angels use the term Lilin.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:26 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Isn't that pretty much what happened in the finale?

Not exactly. Shinji wasn't exactly expecting Asuka to show up there and start trying to skewer him. More like Shinji realizes that if he tries to do this, he'd going to have to go through Asuka, possibly hurting or even killing her.

Olmer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olmer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:06 pm

I wonder if Asuka knew that Kaworu was Shinji's friend and that EVA-13's equipment let him see Kaworu's death with all the details.
Maybe she misinterpreted his behaviour as simply being butthurt over being defeated? Or something along those lines?

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Actually that is a possibility. Asuka may not have realized what Shinji went through. Though then we have the question that even if she knew what just happened, would she even care? And would she let Shinji know that?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”