3.0 Reactions and Reviews from Viewers (Japan?)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
MitsumuraKun51196
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MitsumuraKun51196 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:14 pm

I don't like the way they talked about Q in Kotaku
because they are getting viewers unexcited about it and breaking that "what's gonna happen I can't wait" feeling I think honestly viewers should find out for themselves about Q spoilers or not.
『希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもれ』
『Hope Always Remains.In The End』

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:14 pm

View Original PostMitsumuraKun51196 wrote:I don't like the way they talked about Q in Kotaku
because they are getting viewers unexcited about it and breaking that "what's gonna happen I can't wait" feeling I think honestly viewers should find out for themselves about Q spoilers or not.

That's kinda going to depend on the person. Eva Q is a huge shock if you were one of the people who were hoping for things to be less painful this time. The "Oh yeah this time Shinji is going to actually get to kick some but, and I won't feel depressed after watching" crowd.

Some people are better off if they don't get spoiled. Others are better off if they get a little forwarning so the shock doesn't hit as hard. I probably would have been a lot less pissed about Mass Effect 3's ending if I had known it was going to suck beforehand.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

MitsumuraKun51196
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MitsumuraKun51196 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:44 am

Yeah, And this one guy posted a After the movie video
which it filmed what happened when they walked out. I was expecting
giant crowds screaming and shit,But they didn't act surprised at all And I was after watching the Camrips I mean it wasn't even the whole movie and I was so excited
『希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもれ』

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:30 pm

That might be a cultural thing, as I understand it asian culture reacts differently. Or it could be the audience was just emotionally drained after watching it.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

MitsumuraKun51196
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MitsumuraKun51196 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:31 pm

The weird thing is I am asian,But here's the thing I was raised in a american culture so I guess it's how you're raised.
『希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもれ』

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:32 pm

View Original Posttrueno_twentyone wrote:Based from the things I've seen so far, I just have to say this:

Feels like a whole new thing. Kinda weird and very far from the actual series.

I'm completely stupefied.

I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing, though. So far, I'm looking forward to Evangelion 3.0 (or Q) because it does seem to sway away from the original series.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:44 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing, though. So far, I'm looking forward to Evangelion 3.0 (or Q) because it does seem to sway away from the original series.

Yeah, we all wanted that, but the thing is, it deviates in a way you really didn't expect, and even the difference to the other two Rebuild movies seems huge...

It feels more like a continuation of EoE than of 2.0...

Not saying that any of this makes it bad, but in the end in some way or another, no movie with "Evangelion" in its title (including the original two) ever did what we wanted from it, for varying reasons.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:43 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:That might be a cultural thing, as I understand it asian culture reacts differently. Or it could be the audience was just emotionally drained after watching it.

At the end of 1.0 and 2.0, the entire theatre was clapping, but nobody was clapping at the end of 3.0 when I watched it, a lot of people talking though. I don't think it's an indication of people not liking the movie, people rarely clap at the end of movies in Japan, apparently. Unlike the endings of 1.0 and 2.0, the ending of 3.0 isn't really something to clap for.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:08 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:At the end of 1.0 and 2.0, the entire theatre was clapping, but nobody was clapping at the end of 3.0 when I watched it, a lot of people talking though. I don't think it's an indication of people not liking the movie, people rarely clap at the end of movies in Japan, apparently. Unlike the endings of 1.0 and 2.0, the ending of 3.0 isn't really something to clap for.

2.0 was like Star Wars (The first one). Star Wars was a movie that you left the theater feeling good, all heck yeah! Life is wonderful. In the 70's, the golden age of downer movie endings. 3.0 is like the end of Empire Strikes back, only much worse. It's shocking, and painful to watch. The diference is that Empire you had an idea of how things could get better. 3.0, not so much. Basicly 2.0 people left excited about how things seemed to be looking up, they were hopeful and optimistic, excited and eager to see what happens next. 3.0 you leave shocked and confused. Things are aweful. That hope you had from the last one? Dashed, and you feel worse for having hoped at all. Now your afraid to see what comes next. You still might see it through, but it's with fear and trepidation and you now feel your hopes will just be cruelly dashed. Well that's how I felt when I found out what happened for those two movies.

But basicly 2.0 is a "Yay!" ending. 3.0 is a "oh god..." ending.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:32 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Unlike the endings of 1.0 and 2.0, the ending of 3.0 isn't really something to clap for.

Must have been the lack of Kaworu in the final scene.

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:But basicly 2.0 is a "Yay!" ending. 3.0 is a "oh god..." ending.

I guess 2.0 was "Yay!" if you ignored all of the stuff about how the world was going to end while Shinji shut himself away in blue womb-land. And even after Kaworu meddled, you had the stage set for Shinji and Rei being trapped inside Eva-01 (as stated by the preview voiceover).

I thought 2.0's ending was a creepy mind-fuck (Anno: "YOU LIKE THAT DISSONANCE HARD, DON'T YOU BITCH"), and just hearing its version of Tsubasa gives me goosebumps. In a certain light, I had just the right reaction.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:47 am

Finding 3.0 shocking and unfair is like being outraged by the ending of Macbeth. "He was such an enlightened monarch until that asshole Macduff ruined everything!"

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Shakabutt
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shakabutt » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:35 am

Its just the WTF stage in the whole EVA ride....like episode 24.

Fans who obssess about Kaworu and Shinji go wild and pollute every internet board they can find (like 4 chan), reviewers and the audience in general are taken offguard...seems a lot like the the WTF slap in the head i got in ep 24.

Honestly as a person who has never gotten into anime, eva is my first (and probably only anime i like ) im kinda miffed about the whole obsession people have with Kaworu and Rei....why ? one is a creep and the other is kinda boring/lame..

But taste are so different so who knows, but i can't wait to see 3.33 in all its glory regardless of reviews.

Kinda offtopic here lol sorry

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:34 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:(Anno: "YOU LIKE THAT DISSONANCE HARD, DON'T YOU BITCH")

:hitthetable:

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:50 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I guess 2.0 was "Yay!" if you ignored all of the stuff about how the world was going to end while Shinji shut himself away in blue womb-land.

It didn't look like the damage went beyond the area around Hakone, nor we had any idea about the exact nature of the phenomenon, anyway Kaworu apparently arrived just in time to prevent further damages.
View Original PostReichu wrote:And even after Kaworu meddled, you had the stage set for Shinji and Rei being trapped inside Eva-01 (as stated by the preview voiceover).

The drama doesn't come from being trapped inside Eva-01, it comes from being trapped for 14 years, the Urashima Taro syndrome, and Rei being unable or unwilling to return back. Did we have any reason to believe that this shit was going to fall on our heads? I don't think so.
View Original PostShakabutt wrote:Honestly as a person who has never gotten into anime, eva is my first (and probably only anime i like ) im kinda miffed about the whole obsession people have with Kaworu and Rei....why ? one is a creep and the other is kinda boring/lame..

Your post didn't amuse TEH Rei.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:52 am

Yes it's Yay. At the time here's how 2.0's ending looked to a lot of people. Shinji is undergoing change, he's standing up for himself and finally doing what he wants, and he's kicking ass himself Something a lot of people wanted to see for a long time). We Impact has started, but hell he did save Rei, and we have a heartwarming moment between the two. And hey Kaworu showed up and stopped impact, disaster averted right? For some people things seemed to be looking up. We didn't have to fear 3.0 because we didn't think it was going to depress us.

Really the best way to gauge things would be if we had exit polls for the audidence leaving the theater. As it is we'll just have to wait and see what the final reactions are.

Now keep in mind that I would never outright consider forum goers to be a majority of viewers. I don't know what the actual active population of this forum is for example. But I suspect it's lower than actual viewership. If your on a forum you've spent the time analyizing everything, and your a fairly devoted fan. All the more casual Eva viewers I know in real life did not see 2.0's ending as depressing, but judging from their reactions watching the original, are going to be upset with 3.0's. Now I won't say this is actually indicitive of the general audience, but they at least have a sentiment of wanting a happier ending, and that feels less depressing to them, and whatnot. But really I can't be sure of what the general feeling is for the more casual viewers, because they don't really care enough to come onto forums and talk about it.

Olmer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olmer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:43 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:We didn't have to fear 3.0 because we didn't think it was going to depress us.

Actually, I remember hearing rumours here, that people at Khara/voice actors thought that the film was too dark. Also, some shots in the trailers seemed to have a certain EoE vibe. It made me raise my guard some time before it hit the cinemas and lessened the shock a bit.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”