Q Movie reactions (NO SPOILER)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kuma_nii
Embryo

Re: Dunno what to think

Postby Kuma_nii » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:31 pm

View Original PostGekusu wrote:I think what we see in it, structually speaking, is the calm before the storm of 4.0. That calm presented by itself can be less than exciting, but I think that ultimately most fans will agree that RoE wouldn't feel right without the style shift in 3.0.

Okay I see what you mean. So basicly, what we should expect of 3.0 is something that will set the stage for the Finale, in sense, for 4.0. Well if you put it that way then I'm starting to grasp what type of movie it'll be. And if I take that into account, it should be a movie that I'll enjoy and understand the more I watch it. Kind of like everything Evangelion XD.
As a man I must be tough in front of my peers,
As a human being I must think of myself before others,
As an individual I choose not to be like the others,
I am an Eva fanboy and I'm proud.

Gekusu
Embryo

Postby Gekusu » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:19 pm

View Original PostKuma_nii wrote:Okay I see what you mean. So basicly, what we should expect of 3.0 is something that will set the stage for the Finale, in sense, for 4.0. Well if you put it that way then I'm starting to grasp what type of movie it'll be. And if I take that into account, it should be a movie that I'll enjoy and understand the more I watch it. Kind of like everything Evangelion XD.

Yeah, I think that's how I feel about it. I can promise you that there will be those who will not like it however. But isn't that always the case?[/i]

Kuma_nii
Embryo

Postby Kuma_nii » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:32 pm

View Original PostGekusu wrote:But isn't that always the case?[/i]

Anything Evangelion will always suffer from hate no matter what it is XD. Personaly, as long as their is a community like this where I can actually have a constructive discussion about anything Eva without being cut off by a "eva's dumb, so gtfo"-esque comment, I can live through all the hate XD.
As a man I must be tough in front of my peers,
As a human being I must think of myself before others,
As an individual I choose not to be like the others,
I am an Eva fanboy and I'm proud.

The God Hand
Embryo

Postby The God Hand » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:05 pm

Is there any hope for the movie to come to America?

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:21 pm

View Original PostThe God Hand wrote:Is there any hope for the movie to come to America?

It will definitely come to America. How long it will take to make it stateside remains to be seen. The American DVD release won't come around for at least a year or two, but we should see legit copies appearing online once the Japanese DVD/BD release happens, which should be about 6-12 months from now. Overall, I've heard ETA estimates for an online copy ranging from one month to one year.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:22 pm

View Original PostThe God Hand wrote:Is there any hope for the movie to come to America?

Have patience, grasshopper. (And please stay within the parameters of a thread's topic. This thread is for film reactions, not international release schedule speculation.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby fadingreminder » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:28 pm

I can't see why it wouldn't. Funimation were all about releasing the first two, and theatrically at that. 2.0 saw a higher gross than 1.0, so it's only reasonable that they would try to keep the gravy train rolling. What a long, long wait it will be though... a year in real time is like a lifetime in internet years.

Edit: Wow, in the time it took me to post a reply, two others were on top of it... Sorry!

entrodiibob
Embryo

So how are the action sequences?

Postby entrodiibob » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm

So how are the action sequences? Are we treated to some amazing animation and cinematography? Any amazing music also?

Try keeping it spoiler free :)
Nope.

zabrewolf
Embryo

Postby zabrewolf » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:20 pm

really?, action scenes?, what about the fanservice is the big question!!
Proud member of the [[ShikinamiXMakinami]] team.

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:15 am

Action sequences are awesome! Full of energy and motion and frenetic and crazy!! Lots of intensity and gorgeous animation! Almost too much for your eyes and brain to process!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:24 am

View Original Postzabrewolf wrote:really?, action scenes?, what about the fanservice is the big question!!
You didn't spot the Gainaxing in the sneak peek?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gekusu
Embryo

Re: So how are the action sequences?

Postby Gekusu » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:23 am

View Original Postentrodiibob wrote:So how are the action sequences? Are we treated to some amazing animation and cinematography? Any amazing music also?

Just watch the preview, that should answer your question about action sequences. As for music, Utada's new track is gorgeous and ties things together wonderfully. I gathered that the audience loved it; I know I did. Fan service? We're in a spoiler free thread, so I won't say anything one way or the other.

Chiral_Spiral
Embryo

Postby Chiral_Spiral » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:33 am

kotaku.com has a review of the movie up. Everything past the opening paragraph is spoiler territory but I gather they didn't like it. They describe it as "confusing, pretentious and contrived".

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 am

I'm finding it difficult to stay spoiler-free on this one. Apparently several who have seen it or gotten wind of the changes have felt free to spread the news around. Even freaking J-List gave me a couple of spoilers this morning that I didn't expect.

The new character designs in particular are what's going around. It's going to be difficult to remain unscathed.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

kuwisdelu
Lilith

Postby kuwisdelu » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:10 am

View Original PostChiral_Spiral wrote:They describe it as "confusing, pretentious and contrived".

I think I'm going to love this movie.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:16 am

And the response from places like /a/ to that review have been 'yeah, whatever'. Im given the impression that kotaku holds a lot of prestige.

The reivew in question is a bit whiny. Like transcript of some guy (well, 2 guys in this case) throwing a 'RUINED FOREVER' on youtube. Oh which there is one. An awesome one. I wish I could link it but it crammed to the hilt with spoilers.

jimmiel
Lilith

Postby jimmiel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:48 am

I know there are at least two awesome new battle themes ("The Wrath of God, In All It's (Sic) Fury" and that one from the first six minutes), and that there's "Quatre Mains" but how's the rest of the soundtrack? There was "Bataille Décisive" in there, much else taken from the series or is there more and more original music as it goes along? And is it as godly as 2.0's?

Chiral_Spiral
Embryo

Postby Chiral_Spiral » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:26 pm

(Probably should have mentioned this before, but the kotaku review has very prominent images from the artbook. It's just characters designs and some sort of vehicle, but if you don't want to see that stuff stay away entirely).

Im given the impression that kotaku holds a lot of prestige.

Their video game reviews are generally pretty critical and well thought out, but on the few occasions when they do movie reviews I haven't been impressed. I'd like to see reviews from a dedicated film or anime site.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:30 pm

There are some decent film writeups on Kotaku occasionally but mostly they spew out crap.

As for that Kotaku review it mostly rests on misinterpretation of 2.0 and thus is quite worthless.

Given that ANN nowadays has guy in Japan who goes see anime films in theatre I suspect they'll put review up sooner or later.

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Lonecow12 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:58 pm

There is a whole article on Kotaku about how pretentious the title is. You can make a drinking game of the amount they use the word pretentious when describing Eva 3.0 lol. It's like the reviewers just learned the word and try to use it whenever they can, and not surprisingly they use it wrong every time.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”