Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:15 pm

Keeping things spoiler-free:

Saw Shin Godzilla this morning (10:30 AM showing, so only 5 people total?). Loved it :heart:

If you're a fan of those films or Anno's other works, I really think you'll enjoy it! I was pleasantly surprised to hear some Eva tracks in-film, too.

Alamo Draft Houses seem to be showing it too, not just regular movie theaters.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:46 pm

Just saw it in a packed house here in Ottawa, and it exceeded my expectations, Anno made the right call in doing this film!

Most things have been said that I would say, but I just would say I had zero problems with reading the subs. On the other hand, I read subs nearly everyday so who knows how other people felt. Also, I knew some EVA OST was in there, but I was surprised to hear Famously from the 3.0 OST.

SPOILER: Show
I will say tho, that last shot was horrifying! :bigeyes:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:10 pm

About that last shot:

I initially assumed maybe it's the victims left in his wake (or related to them)? But I'm sure whoever the director for the sequel is will put whatever spin they want on that. :wink:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:39 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:About that last shot:

I initially assumed maybe it's the victims left in his wake (or related to them)? But I'm sure whoever the director for the sequel is will put whatever spin they want on that. :wink:

Ya, I got that same vibe too, to the point that I wonder if they were victims who's bodies are now being mutated into little Godzilla's. If that makes any sense lol.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:40 am

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:I can't wait for a deep eva-geeker to see this film. I wanna know if it's just Andromeda Syndrome: The Anime: The Live Action Movie.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Ana ... eda_Strain

There are some very clear references to the Andromeda Strain however most are at the end. Again, seriously don't click this unless you've seen the film! What are you doing? Go watch it now!

The short half life of Godzilla's radiation reminded me of how the rain in Andromeda Strain washes it away since they mention something similar about that. Also at the very end in those final shots I heard people mumbling about "Oh it's the victims" but they really looked more bizarre than that; like severely malnourished Ultramen? I know that sounds silly but their arms were the thickness of bones and they had odd long sphere like heads with seeming beaks on some even. They mentioned Godzilla could perform mitosis and they honestly did seem more like creations. Heck, all I know is it's up to the next director to decide. Or they could just be god warriors.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:13 am

View Original PostMuscleRobo wrote:There are some very clear references to the Andromeda Strain however most are at the end. Again, seriously don't click this unless you've seen the film! What are you doing? Go watch it now!

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:No, Shin Godzilla's closest comparison would be a feature length "Jet Alone".

That really makes me wanna go see it... too bad I CAN'T IN MY COUNTRY! [fury]. Great to know though!
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:34 am

A commonly held belief is that one of the main reasons Hideaki Anno wanted to do the Rebuild of Evangelion series was so that he could finally do Operation Yashima right. Well in Shin Godzilla he ends up going a step further by basically recreating Operation Yashima in live action. He's perfecting a formula he started over 20 years ago.

So in a decade's time I expect to read that Anno is spearheading an actual real world Operation Y-Something to defeat a giant monster.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:27 am

Gendo'sPapa: Probably not a "belief" so much as a deduction:

post/62919/Newtype-USA-March-2007-Eva-article-Transcript/#62919
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:10 am

A neat theory regarding ShinG's ending
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/shin-godzi ... ers-562623
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:58 am

Literally the only problem I had with seeing it in theaters was the audience. Saw it Tuesday in NYC at East Village. Audience kept laughing at the most inappropriate times, and applauded/cheered whenever anything cool happened. Some of us don't like making noise in a theater....
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:08 pm

I've heard a lot of reports of that online. I must have lucked out when I saw it with a packed house for the first time cause my crowd was pretty respectful. There was loud applause & shouts of "Hell yes" when the old Toho logo & retro Godzilla came up. Then the only other moment they were really distracting was the first time you see Godzilla in all his glory and a few people laughed & yelled "What the fuck is that?". Then they clapped at the end & that was it. A good crowd.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:33 pm

Only two times in my theater were people really loudly laughing

When Kaiju B had that weird effect over him shimmering as he transformed, and the second set of train bombs that went up Godzilla like snakes.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:44 pm

Saw it last night. I loved it!

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:25 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Literally the only problem I had with seeing it in theaters was the audience. Saw it Tuesday in NYC at East Village. Audience kept laughing at the most inappropriate times, and applauded/cheered whenever anything cool happened. Some of us don't like making noise in a theater....

Yea, I had the same problem, but without the cheering. There were a couple people sitting directly behind me who kept talking too. However, the crowd was much much better than the one I saw Q with. Bunch of Eva haters cracking very unfunny jokes. Total fools.

hui43210 wrote: Most things have been said that I would say, but I just would say I had zero problems with reading the subs. On the other hand, I read subs nearly everyday so who knows how other people felt.

Yea, I was thinking the same thing, and I'm the same way. The subs were no where near as brutal as Tatami Galaxy.

Loved the film. Loved the soundtrack, and the Gunbustah-esque descriptions. Glad to see my fellow evageeks had a good time watching it too, but that isn't much of a surprise.

It also made me realize I like kaiju films, so now I've got something else to obsess over/spend cash on. :kawaii:
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:36 pm

Even I was able to attend a showing. An Anno film in suburbia; imagine that. Plus the theater was surprisingly 3/4 full.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but this film would be been much easier and rewarding to watch dubbed. Anno goes so overboard with his on-screen text identifiers of people, places, and vehicles, that it's ridiculously easy to get lost trying to read everything in the 3 seconds they have it on screen. It was the single most annoying thing about the viewing experience, and I heard multiple people complaining about it while leaving.

Other than that it was quite good. I'd like to know what the budget was, because if it was anything south of $25 million, I'd be impressed with the quality of the effects they were able to do, except for the appearance of
baby
Godzilla's face. That was the only point in the film where I cringed.

Stray observations:

-Anno's directing of English dialogue was the second-worst aspect of the film under his direct control.
-Anno's dialogue for the Americans at points sounded too "philosophical" to be realistically spoken by them.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:46 pm

Does Anno speak/understand English himself? The English characters in 2.0 sounded peculiar too. Never mind Kaji's word salad. :tongue:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:55 pm

I would think he has at least a passing knowledge; he knew what the phrase "Too bad" meant in 1996. He's also said in an interview that his biggest regret is that he didn't study English better while in school.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:06 pm

Anno could have some knowledge of English, but without actual fluency he wouldn't be able to direct natural-sounding performances in any meaningful way, and ability to shape the translations themselves would be very limited. As I understand it, most of the foreign language that appears in movies and TV is barely serviceable. You think the English in Japanese productions sounds bad, imagine how the Japanese, Russian, German, French, Italian, etc., that appears in our movies sounds to native speakers...

Anyway: Just got back from seeing it. The movie was pretty much what I expected from reading reviews and spoilers, but actually experiencing it was something else altogether. "As expected of the master", well-crafted human drama was expertly counterbalanced with riveting tokusatsu-inspired action and intriguing sci-fi ideas. Theater had good sound (AND reclining seats, too!). The group next to us laughed at some odd times, but nothing especially distracting. Very satisfying film, and I look forward to seeing it again at first opportunity.

The subtitles didn't bother me so much. I attempted to follow both sets at first, but eventually realized what I had already suspected going in, that the captions probably aren't going to be very useful to someone seeing the film for the first time. Anyone who feels overwhelmed should just ignore them; the BD will always be there later. Anyway, once I got in the flow of things, there were only a couple of times I missed critical bits of information.

Not sure what more I can say right now that hasn't already been said.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dojyaaaan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dojyaaaan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:19 pm

I'm thinking about seeing this movie this weekend. I hope it's great. Or at least decent.
It was a long, long, roundabout path...

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:37 pm

Hey to the people that watched the film, was the theater packed?
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”