Anno's Animator Expo

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:16 pm

hey guys can someone link me directly to the video with the 3d black evangelion?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:18 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Well I watched the Evangelion-based short. Pretty good- very atmospheric. I'm also intrigued if it's intended as somethingof a preview to FINAL- which would suggest Shinji dying horribly judging by shot of him with his ribcage torn open.

We have a thread all about it.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:20 pm

This is the screen cap I took, [s]give me a second to find link.[/s]

http://animatorexpo.com/promotional/
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:23 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:hey guys can someone link me directly to the video with the 3d black evangelion?

Here you go. Just finished watching it myself-- I'd watched Hill Climb Girl and Dragon Dentist, but somehow I managed to miss the promotional video. I'm really looking forward to some of these!

Also, I think I need to rewatch Dragon Dentist. There's a woman around the 00:48 mark that looks like Misato with her hair up, but that might very well be something from DD because I remember the art style being similar.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:27 pm

@NuclearLunchbox

Many of the shorts shown in the promo have been released save the last part of it and the steampunk looking part with the giant machine.

And I thought I was the only one who thought she looked like Misato. ;)
Last edited by Sicarius VI on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:28 pm

Yeah, I know most of 'em are out-- I've been watching them sort of religiously when they're released. :lol:

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:59 pm

Since we got nothing to do for a week let's play the guessing game

Hidenori Matsubara?  SPOILER: Show

Twilight The Animated Series?  SPOILER: Show

Might be Akemi Hayashi's that's due in a week  SPOILER: Show

Koyama Shigeto is up to something  SPOILER: Show

Hammer Time?  SPOILER: Show

Has a title in the upper left corner?  SPOILER: Show

2spooky  SPOILER: Show

Obari time? Maybe some Trigger staff involved?  SPOILER: Show

These are Moyoco Anno's characters  SPOILER: Show

Ikuto Yamashita confirmed  SPOILER: Show

"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:17 pm

Koyama Shigeto - Oh god Rei with a mustache?

Hidenori Matsubara - Reminds me of a character from Gundam00, but I doubt it is releated. This should be the 9th short if my senses don't betray me.

Twilight The Animated- Looked like the girl from Hill Climber, but I know it isn't so, I've got nothing.

I don't know about the rest.

(Look how this post correlates with my very limited knowledge of Anime... I've got a lot to learn).
Last edited by Sicarius VI on Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:27 am

SPOILER: Show
That Black Eva looks like it belongs to a live action movie... I wonder if they are finally going to do it? It'd be pretty funny if the entirety of FINAL was a live action sequence ^_^
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Noriko is my wife
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Noriko is my wife » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:08 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Since we got nothing to do for a week let's play the guessing game

Hidenori Matsubara?  SPOILER: Show

No. Not even close.

I don't know who's responsible for the character design but the BG art must be Yuuji Kaneko (Kill La Kill and LWA). Kaneko is very distinct artist so this could be another title where the BG is the focus.

Speaking of that. In either this or the other thread it was said Tatsuya Kushida was uncredited in 3.0 or that his art had been removed but he's credited with art just not as art director. Where it gets strange is the ANN credits. Someone filled those in based on promotional material (a poster?) posted on twitter when the film was released. Kushida's name is there as art director. He was also credited as such in the press release revealing the main staff before the film was released.

There are some other inconsistencies like Anno being credited with KA in the same source used for ANN as well as the KA books but not in the BD credits (unless I missed it).

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:
Koyama Shigeto is up to something  SPOILER: Show

]

Obake-chan is something previously done as a picture book released at comiket. I don't know more.

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:
Hammer Time?  SPOILER: Show

Yoshinari (wishful thinking)

I say this is from a storyboard for a second short directed by Hiramatsu.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:10 pm

View Original PostNoriko is my wife wrote:No. Not even close.

I don't know who's responsible for the character design

I was guessing purely on the character design >_>
Anyway we'll see about that.

As far as Tatsuya Kushida goes, for reference this is the poster:
http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-1828.html

美術監督/加藤浩(ととにゃん)、串田達也

After going through the credits a 2nd time I did find Kushida in there, so I should go and correct the other thread.

1st arrow - Art Director: Hiroshi Kato (same as the poster)
2nd arrow - Background
3rd arrow - Tatsuya Kushida at the bottom of the Background credits

Noriko is my wife
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Noriko is my wife » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:00 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I was guessing purely on the character design >_>
Anyway we'll see about that.

I understood that but was still a bit baffled but after looking at Gankutsuou again I kind of see what you mean. I'm more reminded of the characters in Osamu Kaobayashi's Someday's Dreamers.

But yes, we'll see.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:21 pm

An Evangelion Anima short by Yamashita would be the 2nd coming of Christ
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:12 pm

^Well, the ANIMA universe is a bit....odd, so I'd actually be a bit disappointed to see such a short unless it was some sort of epic battle sequence or let us see Pilot!Hikari, or both.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:22 pm

The two Yamashita pictures in the trailer make it extremely unlikely whatever short he's involved with is ANIMA-related.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:05 pm

I don't wanna speculate. I love the surprise of getting a new short & just going with the flow.

7 shorts in & the only entry I dislike is the first one. Dragon's Teeth just had too much narrative, way too much exploratory dialogue & a total lack of fun exploration. Of all the shorts it is the worst because it feels like a concept video for a full series & less it's own story.

Thursday/Friday can't come soon enough.

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:22 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:An Evangelion Anima short by Yamashita would be the 2nd coming of Christ

Its Anima even Good, because from I know is not translated at all so I dont understand the Hype from an animated adaptation.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:46 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:7 shorts in & the only entry I dislike is the first one. Dragon's Teeth just had too much narrative, way too much exploratory dialogue & a total lack of fun exploration. Of all the shorts it is the worst because it feels like a concept video for a full series & less it's own story.

Well the interview does explain that nicely:

K.Tsurumaki revealed that he originally intended for Dir.Maijo. to just write the treatment and script, but after reading his novels and
deducing from their unique pacing that he was interested in film editing, K.Tsurumaki offered him
the job of director. According to K.Tsurumaki, Dir.Maijo. was overjoyed at the prospect and quickly
accepted; in his enthusiasm, he came up with loads more plot than what was planned in the
original outline.

http://animatorexpo.com/news/7

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:04 pm

Kinda ashamed that i took so long to get into this very important project for Anno and Khara, but at least i guess i'm not as late to the part as was the case for KLK or Rebuild. Anyways...

I can't say i cared much for The Dragon Dentist or Hill Climb Girl. In the case of the first short, while the art and animation were very good (not great) the story felt way too crammed and didn't have a sense of direction or pacing. Probably a result of Dir. Maijo getting a bit overexcited and adding too much settei and ideas into a surprisingly short timeframe. I also was rather mixed at the scene with the soldier since it came off as way too out of the blue and with a rather vague nature. It sure was nice to look at though. The MC was okay and the beggining and ending were very good. Really liked the onsen animation, specially the cut of the girl standing up and the water dripping off her.

With Hill Climb Girl i kinda feel the animators failed to do their job properly and the direction and writing weren't much better. If i were less charitable i'd even say it was trite/clunky at points. The CG at best left me mixed and at worst it gave me the impression it got the bad aspects of both 2D and 3DCG animation. That said, the music was very nice and the short got more moving as it advanced. I even found myself smiling during the climax. Not to mention the conclusion/twist after the race :lol:. It was a cute story.

And ME!ME!ME!... heh, well i have a lot of things i want to say about that one, but it will have to be for another time. In any case, that's all i have watched so far.

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:14 pm

New one is up http://animatorexpo.com/tomorrowfromthere/

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”