Rehash of details/questions/theories

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Rehash of details/questions/theories

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:27 am

I was bored and just combed through the 27 pages here... for the sake of it. Any new ideas how to answer those questions?

Line of chalk
In Evangelion 1.11 there is a chalkline. What is this supposed to mean? Throwback to EoE?

Coffins on the moon
When Kaworu awakes at the end of Evangelion 1.11 he rises from a coffin. There are at least 9 coffins, 4 have already been opened. What does this mean?

Adams
Adam 1 has a core with 6 dots around and 2 eyes.
Adam 2 has a core and 2 eyes.
Adam 3 has a core with a circle around and 2 eyes.
Adam 4 has 3 eyes.

Why are there 4 Adams? Where are they from and the most important - where are they now?

Lances
Where are the 4 lances? During the 2nd impact there have been 4 lances. Is one of them the one that´s holding back Lilith? What´s with Kaworus lance? Is this a replica or one of the lances that changed its shape?

Adam 4 = Evangelion 01?
Adam 4 seems to have 3 eyes. Evangelion 01 has (or at least gets) 3 eyes, seen at the near 3rd Impact.

Evangelion 01 = Evangelion 08?
Same assumption - both seem to have 3 eyes. Is Evangelion 01 going to be rebuild as Unit 08?

Adam = Key of Nebukadnezar?
Is the Key of Nebukadnezar (one of the) Adam(s) and they only changed the name to not reveal too much at that point or is it something totally different?

What are the 4 Reis?
In the preview of Q we can see 4 Reis. One of them is wearing the same outfit Rei wore in the alterate happy reality shown in EoTV. Just a throwback or might this mean anything?
Last edited by qu4d on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Re: Rehash of details/questions/theories

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:26 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:Adam 4 = Evangelion 01?
Adam 4 seems to have 3 eyes. Evangelion 01 has (or at least gets) 3 eyes, seen at the near 3rd Impact.

Evangelion 01 = Evangelion 08?
Same assumption - both seem to have 3 eyes. Is Evangelion 01 going to be rebuild as Unit 08?

No one really knows if Unit 01 will get a third eye eye but it probably is just that green strip on it's horn that turned red along with the EVAs eyes and other green stripes. For unit 08=unit 01, it all depends on who you ask, some think that it is Lilith converted into a working EVA unit, or Adam (believed by those that think that the thing in NERV's basement is Adam not Lilith), some say it is a re-armored Unit 01(I doubt that it is likely since that after the incident at the end of 2.22 SEELE will want to keep it frozen), and finally it could be one of Gendo's secret projects that he put in motion in the event Unit 01 could not fight or that SEELE was interfering with his version of Instrumentality.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:46 am

Actually it would seem that "Adam 4" doesn't have a core. Look at the "Adams" preview, no core and it's out of view in the new "Adams" shot.

Also has it been discussed what IPEA is and why it's logo is a 3 eyed Eva?
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

ITT: Anno is a big troll.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:06 am

These are all questions we've been asking for years. Unfortunately, it's impossible to answer any of them at this point. I'm sure some of them will be explained in Q.

There are lots of throwbacks to EoE (which gave birth to Sequel Theory) but at this point we don't know if they mean anything or not.

EDIT: Also, I agree with skikes. The Adam with the third eye doesn't appear to have a core; could the third eye itself be the core?

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:35 pm

I'm just going to fanwank here.
Line of chalk: I want to think that it was a statue or probably a test for a robot that fell (JetAlone, maybe?) or maybe it was just where one of the EVAs was put before being taken to NERV again. Or maybe it's just a piece of art : P

Coffins on the moon/ADAMS:
Could it be that maybe this time Kaworu is the 5th Adam? That SEELE is in posession, somehow, of these four Adams?

If Eva 08 is a rebuild of Eva 01, then the title for this new film series would make sense somehow. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. : P

As for the 4 Reis and Rei in her vest, I want to think that maybe these are failed or Dummy Plug Reis, hiding behind the actual Rei. The outfit might not really mean anything and was drawn that way in the preview for the hell of it. Or she will just wear it in the film. If you really want to get far-fetched and stupid as I hope this movie won't be, maybe they will get in touch with all realities which could explain Kaworu's weird, cryptic dialogue. Although I don't think that's how alternate universe Rei would react.

Please, excuse this post. I'm in the dark about all of this as any of you guys are. I wanted to throw what I've been thinking so far.

Also, maybe you want the mention the crosses that are in the South Pole.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:49 pm

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:I'm just going to fanwank here.
Line of chalk: I want to think that it was a statue or probably a test for a robot that fell (JetAlone, maybe?) or maybe it was just where one of the EVAs was put before being taken to NERV again. Or maybe it's just a piece of art : P

The line of chalk has to be one of the more surreal moments in Rebuild. It pops up in that one static shot for what, two seconds, and then is never referred to or seen again. What the fuck was it there for? What caused it? What does it signify? Why does nobody notice/care? Hell, did Anno forget about it? There's no reason why gigantic bodies should have been flying around Tokyo-3 before the events of the series.

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:Coffins on the moon/ADAMS:
Could it be that maybe this time Kaworu is the 5th Adam? That SEELE is in posession, somehow, of these four Adams?

It's a tempting interpretation - particularly if the Adams are the Evas or the pilots, as has been suggested. But in that case, what's the point of the other four coffins? I'm wondering if the coffins couldn't be related to the Evas somehow: nine Evas (that we're aware of; although we've heard nothing of Unit 07, it must have some kind of existence for there to be a Unit 08), nine coffins. Four of the coffins are already open (for the four Evas already active at this point in time: 00, 01, 02, 05) and Mark 06 - or its pilot, anyway - is hopping out of the next one. It would be absurd to say that the Evas come out of the coffins, but the Dramatic Law of Identical Numbers does not lie (mostly).

Alternatively, as has been suggested before, the five coffins are the Angels we've already seen: Tunnel, Sachiel, Shamshel, Ramiel, Tabris. But "Angels come from the MOOOOON" seems a little bizarre given that Seele has a base right fucking there!

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:If Eva 08 is a rebuild of Eva 01, then the title for this new film series would make sense somehow. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. : P

Indeed, but I still think it won't quite happen. Unit 01 is behind the RX-78 and maybe Mazinger Z as the most recognizable mecha of all time. I can't see them just pushing the franchise's lead robot out of the way for the entire second half of the story.

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:As for the 4 Reis and Rei in her vest, I want to think that maybe these are failed or Dummy Plug Reis, hiding behind the actual Rei. The outfit might not really mean anything and was drawn that way in the preview for the hell of it. Or she will just wear it in the film. If you really want to get far-fetched and stupid as I hope this movie won't be, maybe they will get in touch with all realities which could explain Kaworu's weird, cryptic dialogue. Although I don't think that's how alternate universe Rei would react.

The fact that we see multiple Reis at once is as good as confirmation to me that this takes place in mindfuck territory - similar backgrounds be damned. Shinji has a lot of balls to trip, he may as well get started by cryptic visions of Rei.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:16 pm

If the coffins are for the pilots, what could this mean? So, Kaoru got up from one and he's supposed to be a pilot. Does SEELE have the souls of the other children or something? By the way, I must say that this seems like a case of Anno really pushing his love for 2001. I need to see the film again, but I remember there was an image that from a certain perspective looked like coffins in the moon scenes.

And well, who knows, maybe Q will have some goold old mindfuck to torture Shinji and the rest of the audience with. So, multiple Reis does sound like a good place to start. I have the feeling that's not the case here, though.

(sigh) Waiting for the next film is so difficult.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:50 pm

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:If the coffins are for the pilots, what could this mean? So, Kaoru got up from one and he's supposed to be a pilot. Does SEELE have the souls of the other children or something? By the way, I must say that this seems like a case of Anno really pushing his love for 2001. I need to see the film again, but I remember there was an image that from a certain perspective looked like coffins in the moon scenes.

Like I say, I don't consider that especially likely. The Dramatic Law of Identical Numbers suggests that the coffins are associated with some set of entities elsewhere in the story, four of which are already active and four of which have yet to become active. Therein lies the problem: if we assume the coffins are pilots, then that means we're still waiting on four more to show up! Even if you bung in the useless classmates you still come up one short.

Because of that, I think one of the other foursomes in the story is more likely - the four Evas active at that point in time, the four (Adamic) Angels that have already been accounted for, or the four Adams present at Second Impact.

Problems with the first: the Evas clearly did not come from the moon; they could be associated with the coffins somehow but the implication of an open coffin is that something has come out of it.

Problems with the second: why is Kaworu in that particular position in the sequence? Clearly he's been in some degree of collaboration with Seele up to this point, he can't have spent his whole life in there. Moreover, the Angels did not come from the moon - at least not all four of them; Tunnel is specifically mentioned to have been found near Bethania Base.

Problems with the third: if the first four coffins contain ADAMS, and the fifth contains Tabris-Adam, then what do the next four contain? Surely there can't be more Adams in there!
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:00 am

A fourth theory is that that guy is Kaworu-5, ala Rei-1, -2, and -3.

A possible explanation for the coffins is that Kaworu's central position is not ordering (since he is not Angel 7), but relative importance. A possible explanation for the 3rd Angel is that it emerged almost immediately, failed badly, and was ultimately found in the permafrost.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:29 am

Azatoth-Ah, I see what you mean now about the concurrency.

Legendary-If there are more Kaworus, I could actually see it happening.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:50 am

I still like my theory that the 4 Reis are a mindfuck-take of the Rei clones/Dummy System that (nekkid) Mari gets to see. >_>

Failing that, each Eva or the Dummy Plug in Eva-01 at least has a little Rei inside, like Ursus/NaveryW once theorized.

I've been on board with Eva-01=08 (And Mari is Soryu who's a FAR who's a space-robot who's Eva-07~) for awhile now. I just hope Anno doesn't forget to explain the chalk outIine. :(
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:04 am

About the coffins - aren't there also 9 Seele Monoliths in Rebuild, or did I miscount?
Voluntary Illusion.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:15 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:About the coffins - aren't there also 9 Seele Monoliths in Rebuild, or did I miscount?

7, I believe.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:38 am

I also just saw 7, correct me if I´m wrong.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:38 am

I really hope we get a new 3.0 trailer in the near future if only to answer one or two questions. Anyway, my theories:

Line of chalk: Vandalism.

Coffins: Kaworu was picking out a nice cockpit and SEELE had nine to test out; the middle one fit him best. I'm amazed you looked at that and not mention the obvious red streak on the landscape.

4 Adams: It takes four adams to make thirteen other angels. Adam 2 could be Lilith.

Lances: They found two but not the other two; one might have been modified or replicated for Unit 05's right arm but since it did little to Kushiel it's unlikely.

Unit 01 an Adam: Not likely, but not impossible. Notice the light pigmentation in 1.0 after the left hand bindings being ripped away from Shamshel.

Unit 01 being Unit 08: No, most likely another eva altogether.

Key of Nebacunezar: Not an Adam embryo, more like a key to something bigger connected to Lilith that might have something to do with Units 06 and 08.

4 Reis: They cloned Rei so they could terminate was was left of Zeruel. Remember, Rei was reformed from Zeruel's LCL and he didn't die with a cross beam or rainbow showing.

It should be noted that those first two were just jokes.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:50 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Lances: They found two but not the other two; one might have been modified or replicated for Unit 05's right arm but since it did little to Kushiel it's unlikely.

The Swizzle Stick of Kaworu isn't one of the Lances of Longinus - or at the least is looks noticeably different. I suppose it could be a shape-changed Lance - but if Anno wanted us to think that it was one of the four wouldn't he have made it look like one of the four?

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:4 Reis: They cloned Rei so they could terminate was was left of Zeruel. Remember, Rei was reformed from Zeruel's LCL and he didn't die with a cross beam or rainbow showing.

Zeruel's core shattered completely, regardless of crossplosion that's a pretty clear indication he's out of the picture. It's not clear what the Rei in the entry plug is formed of (or if we're supposed to literally conclude that she has a body at all or if this is just a stylized interaction between Rei and Shinji's souls). As for Red Giant Naked Rei...this is all a little hard to get a handle on since the scene is so visually confusing, but I'm starting to think that she's more derived from Unit 00's core (which is what Shinji pulls out of Zeruel's core before it explodes). I mean, she's made of pulsing red material, looks like core to me. And otherwise, where does 00's core go? Unit 01 is holding it at first and once RGNR's there it kind of just...disappears - and when Unit 01 merges with RGNR it gains another core, surprise surprise.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:15 am

Speaking of giant nakes Rei... merging with an angel... am I the only one thinking of that scene?

Hmm. Nevermind.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:20 pm

There's 4 giants of light and 4 lances. Coincidence? I think not :3
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:29 pm

AD! Rei in Q/Final- not likely, most likely a throwback IMO. Also is it just me or do the other three Rei's seem to make anyone else think of Puchi Eva?

Adam 4, Yui-Sama and 08 have three eyes- coincidence or just aesthetic design choice most likely, unless Anno is trolling again; we all know Yui-Sama is a clone of Lillith like Rei. (I think, EVA's might be ADAM clones, but I still say design choice.)

No idea about the coffins, lances, or the chalk outline; though I'm going with the theory that the coffins held the previous angels possibly.
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:16 pm

View Original PostGreat Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:Adam 4, Yui-Sama and 08 have three eyes- coincidence or just aesthetic design choice most likely, unless Anno is trolling again; we all know Yui-Sama is a clone of Lillith like Rei.

"Assume nothing from NGE carries over" is a good maxim to hold to. Normally, when I see Unit 01, I would assume that the name "Unit 01" is referring to the vivisected abomination-half of Lilith inhabited by the soul of Yui Ikari. The fact that it is inhabited by the soul of Yui Ikari is now rather difficult to argue against. That it's Lilith-derived...still isn't clear. Something was derived from Lilith - I mean, there's only half of her there - but that it was Unit 01 has yet to be established. And there's that troublesome business with the third eye motif, present in one Adam, two Evas (which could well be one and the same)...and nowhere else. It's difficult to say what the three-eyed Adam is supposed to be associated with, if not Unit 01 or Unit 08.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”