Do the Magi have a soul?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
thomson777
Embryo

Do the Magi have a soul?

Postby thomson777 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:51 pm

The Magi could have a sole since it is a copy of Naoko Akagi or is it a computer that only thinks it has a sole but, if it thinks then it exists. Is a person's consciousness uploaded still a person? Is the capacity to think what defines us as humans? Or is their something else that defines what is a human when the capacity to think is copyable by a computer?
If I must commit sin for the good of humanity than it can not be.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Allemann » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:52 pm

It's a semi-organic A. I. whose decision system is based on Naoko's personality. It isn't even sentient, let alone having a soul.

thomson777
Embryo

Postby thomson777 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:57 pm

but if the only thing that proves you're existence is you're thoughts and it dose think than doesn't it exist? It dose have it's own thoughts because it is an AI, and didn't blow up when asked.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:06 pm

View Original Postthomson777 wrote:but if the only thing that proves you're existence is you're thoughts and it dose think than doesn't it exist? It dose have it's own thoughts because it is an AI, and didn't blow up when asked.

Not really it was programed to think like Naoko. The self destruct mechanism is controlled by the magi to prevent an unnecessary destruction of the base, I guess it was decided that it would be safer is the three magi debated whether to detonate rather than have a human who could be emotionally compromised (99% of Nerv is) blow up the base or not blow up the base when needed. While on the other hand the Magi have no known emotions to cloud it's reasoning.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Allemann » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:17 pm

View Original Postthomson777 wrote:but if the only thing that proves you're existence is you're thoughts and it dose think than doesn't it exist?

From where did you get that consciousness is a condition for existence? Existence is a more general property possessed by thinking and nonthinking beings.

It dose have it's own thoughts because it is an AI, and didn't blow up when asked.

An A.I. is a system which displays behavior we humans interpret as intelligent, but this appearance of intelligence doesn't imply this system is actually conscious and aware of itself. Whether a conscious "strong" A.I. will be made is an open and controversial question.

To have a stance toward an A.I as if it's intelligent and understand our commands is an useful strategy: this is how most people behave towards highly complex machinery like chess programs. But such computers are manipulating symbols on a syntactical level. They don't literally understand our commands and inputs. They lack the semantic component which living organism have. John Searle's Chinese Room illustrates this clearly.

thomson777
Embryo

Postby thomson777 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:22 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:Not really it was programed to think like Naoko. The self destruct mechanism is controlled by the magi to prevent an unnecessary destruction of the base, I guess it was decided that it would be safer is the three magi debated whether to detonate rather than have a human who could be emotionally compromised (99% of Nerv is) blow up the base or not blow up the base when needed. While on the other hand the Magi have no known emotions to cloud it's reasoning.

Fine the part programed to think like Naoko could exist with a soul because it is the only part that isn't equal to a calculator. besides if you were to put that part into a black box with the actual Naoko you would not be able to tell the difference between them when you talk to them though the box.
That is why artificial intelligence must be as smart as our intelligence otherwise it isn't actual intelligence.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby SenorSquiid » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:52 pm

No, because its primary function in the show is to be a technobabble generator to give Maya and Ritsuko some more lines once in a while, but it's a woman so it'll still stab it's own daughter in the back.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

thomson777
Embryo

Postby thomson777 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:59 pm

View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:No, because its primary function in the show is to be a technobabble generator to give Maya and Ritsuko some more lines once in a while, but it's a woman so it'll still stab it's own daughter in the back.

well when you refer to it as a piece of fiction of course it has no sole.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:46 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:Not really it was programed to think like Naoko. The self destruct mechanism is controlled by the magi to prevent an unnecessary destruction of the base, I guess it was decided that it would be safer is the three magi debated whether to detonate rather than have a human who could be emotionally compromised (99% of Nerv is) blow up the base or not blow up the base when needed. While on the other hand the Magi have no known emotions to cloud it's reasoning.

I don't totally agree with this reasoning for two reasons.

1. Ritsuko seems to think that there's enough Naoko in the Magi to stop the self destruct for personal reasons. "You've chosen your man over me?!"

2. In Ep. 24 Hyuga is prepared to self destruct Nerv H.Q. if Kaworu defeats Shinji. There is no indication that he would have to get the Magi to agree with the destruct order.

However, it is correct that there is no soul in the Magi. The process through which the Magi were given Naoko's personality is probably the exact same as the technology used to give the dummy System Rei's personality. This is different from the technology that moves souls from mothers into Evas, or from Rei 2 to Rei 3. The Dummy System doesn't have Rei's soul, just her personality. The Magi don't have Naoko's soul, just her personality.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:50 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote: The Dummy System doesn't have Rei's soul, just her personality. The Magi don't have Naoko's soul, just her personality.

This.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:51 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:The Magi don't have Naoko's soul, just her personality.

THIS

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby CyberXIII » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:03 pm

Of course the Magi don't have soles. They're brains.

They don't have souls either. they're just hyper-powerful supercomputers modeled after different aspects of Naoko's mind and personality.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:04 pm

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:Of course the Magi don't have soles. They're brains.
I was going to go with "They can't have a sole, because there's three of them".
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

thomson777
Embryo

Postby thomson777 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:17 pm

Darn this didn't get the responses I wanted. I have made a wrong assumption. At least I'm not alone.

Of course the Magi don't have soles. They're brains.

They don't have souls either. they're just hyper-powerful supercomputers modeled after different aspects of Naoko's mind and personality.

this was they way they were treated through the entirety of the story arc true, but calling it an AI then is illogical because it isn't intelligent. The pieces that would make an intellect are split into those three computes and are only connected on one level leaving the possible intellect bound to it's current programing. I assumed that it was an AI because that what it may have been referred to in Evangelion (either during it's introduction or during the project to create it), or that when Naoko uploaded her personality she did so by mapping how every part of the human brain works, then mimicking the brains function in a computer when in actuality she had created complex programs that mimic her in three central areas of her life. As for those brains inside the Magi it could indicate that the magi commuters also function as a life support system to artificially extend the life of intelligence that brain contains, at least until the fact that Ritsuko stabs those probes into the exposed brain leaving the only conclusion that those brains are merely another circuit on the bored.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:22 pm

The MAGI are plenty intelligent, they're just not SENTIENT. They are what's called a Weak AI, an artificial intelligence that does not possess self-awareness or consciousness. Weak AI already exist in real life.

And yea, it's basically a Dummy Plug of Naoko.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Sanada Yukimura
Adam

As an old teacher used to say in class...

Postby Sanada Yukimura » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Calm down,let's follow Fred Kreuger 's philosophy :let's go from parts.

The Magi could have a sole since it is a copy of Naoko Akagi or is it a computer that only thinks it has a sole but, if it thinks then it exists.

man...are u a fervorous cartasian? René Descartes said the famous "I think therefore I am" long time ago however philosophy nowadays refutes that.There 's a book that translating the title to english( i've read in portuguese) maybe is "The error/mistake of Descartes".It's more related to Psychology and Neuroscience though.

Is a person's consciousness uploaded still a person?

So...according to this book no.Because one's mind isn't independent of the body ,the opposite of conclusion of Descartes.They are interligated and it seems "soul"is just a human invention or a misinterpretation.

Is the capacity to think what defines us as humans?

I think no....Don't u know Avatar?And it seems they think more about nature than us.

Or is their something else that defines what is a human when the capacity to think is copyable by a computer?

A lots of people have already said,if a thing copies human behavior does not mean they are truly human a priori.Or maybe I should let my dog at day-care before travelling.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:34 pm

Rene Descartes isn't relevant since souls exist in the Evaverse. Next.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Xard
Banned

Re: As an old teacher used to say in class...

Postby Xard » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:28 pm

View Original PostSanada Yukimura wrote:man...are u a fervorous cartasian? René Descartes said the famous "I think therefore I am" long time ago however philosophy nowadays refutes that.There 's a book that translating the title to english( i've read in portuguese) maybe is "The error/mistake of Descartes".It's more related to Psychology and Neuroscience though.

lolwut, didn't expect to see Damasio on EGF.

He's cool dude and one of the most notable neuroscientists around in my opinion. Especially valuable person to study when it comes to psychology these days.

As far as philosophy goes however he is pretty much meritless. That book isn't philosophy in the first place and if I remember rigthly he commits couple of sadly common misunderstandings of Cartesianism that seem to plague medical field in particular.

That said that book has absolutely no bearing to topic at hand. If Anno says souls in evaverse are marshmallow then they are marshmallow.

I also think Aura's recent comment on weak AI was logical thread ender

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Allemann » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:05 pm

The existence of souls makes strong A.I. impossible in the Evaverse.

Sanada Yukimura
Adam

Postby Sanada Yukimura » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:31 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Rene Descartes isn't relevant since souls exist in the Evaverse. Next.

No wait...Rene Descartes has never denied the existence of souls.And I said bullshit before because Damasio hasn't said the existence of souls is a lie too.Mind and soul is a bit different,I've mistaken when I said "souls are inventions" there's nothing to prove the opposite.

Xard,do you study Psychology or Philoshophy?
I didn't know this guy Damasio was so famous...I've taken this book a year ago in the library of my university while I was looking around in the shelf of books.I was impressed with the book's tittle =3

I'm no philosopher and no psychologist (inspite of reading sometimes this subjects)but explain us what are the misunderstandings that Damasio takes of Cartesianism?Because if Damasio have rly done mistakes,so Anno's premise of existence of soul isn't illogical,and thus Eva's content/ideas can be valid to human reality yet.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”