Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:01 pm

Post your favorite crazy Eva theories here. Even though they're most likely not true, which one is your favorite?

I always liked the "Keel is the Wandering Jew" theory. It just seemed really original and funny. Who knows, maybe he is.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:26 pm

The entire show is just a flasback Shinji is having.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:35 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:The entire show is just a flasback Shinji is having.

Yeah, that's up there on my list too.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:53 am

I believe it was NAW who discovered that Pen Pen was actually the most tragic character of the show, and was actually in love with Shinji the whole time.

Oh, this thread is for theories? I thought it was for hard facts that have yet to be recognized by the fandom.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:57 am

lol I had totally forgotten about that until you brought it up.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

jiynovelo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jiynovelo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:51 am

Everything is just a dream, then Shinji wakes up at, like, on the alternate dimention on episode 26

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:38 am

In the TV Ending, Shinji and everyone else upload to a Singularity utopia.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:07 am

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:49 am

There was a guy over at the A.N. Forum who claimed that the endings were contradictory but they still both happened in the same continuity. He believed that all of EoTV happened after EOE. Apparently sometime after Asuka said "Kimochi Warui" Shinji had Rei re-start Instrumentality, resulting in EoTV. :headscratch:

I once saw a thread on Usenet where a poster was insisting that the "real reason" Shinji tried to throttle Asuka on the beach was he was angry that she wasn't Kaworu. :???:
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Wow, no Duel of the Seeds mention yet?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:18 pm

That the Harpies have Shinji's classmate's souls in them. The idea is so deliciously morbid, it makes me want to do filthy and degrading things with a lolipop.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:38 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:I believe it was NAW who discovered that Pen Pen was actually the most tragic character of the show, and was actually in love with Shinji the whole time.

That was Lucretius's, actually. That revelation completely changed the meaning of the entire show for me.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:19 am

some good ones here... and one that made me :rei_meh:

I think I'll go with a wacky NGE = religion theory: 2I was actually the rapture and the entire series is an anime retelling of the book of revelations.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:31 am

My favorite is the one where Shinji was given powers to warp reality somehow thanks to 3I/GNR/Instrumentality, and that everyone in the Evangelion cast is actually a time-traveling (and genderbent, as the need may apply) Shinji Ikari from post-3I, and that no matter how hard he tries to change things, everything remains exactly the same upon countless attempts to change the future. Amnesia might play into this as well.

Second favorite is the "TINES-END" lolphysics GNR head tsunami & related post-apocalyptic events, though on some level I seriously believe it.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:46 am

I always liked the Shinji is Gendou, Rei is Ritsuko, and Asuka is Misato Fight Club theory.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

jiynovelo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jiynovelo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:39 am

My new theory: The whole thing is just a Play for a certain festival.
If someone asks why it looks real and not like a play... well ask the producers of high school musical. why HSM, well the whole movie is just a play.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:42 am

I have a certain fondness for this little gem and its take on the Adam-and-Eve ending

http://web.archive.org/web/20041206153315/http://www.eltonalteco.net/En/historiaev.php

So Shinji and Asuka take bad, just as Adam and Lilith; and however Shinji and Rei were loved, although they never got it to express freely
(Well, Rei says in "The end of Evangelion"). Then Shinji must kill and kick Asuka from the "paradise" so tha Rei can enter,
who waits for the expulsion of Lilith.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:11 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:I always liked the Shinji is Gendou, Rei is Ritsuko, and Asuka is Misato Fight Club theory.

Never heard that one. How's that go?

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:35 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Wow, no Duel of the Seeds mention yet?

It doesn't qualify. It was a perfectly legitimate theory until the C.I. came out and explicitly contradicted it. It wasn't crazy at all.

Now if you want to bring up TOL at 2I.................
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:08 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”