Fly me to the moon...

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Fly me to the moon...

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:16 am

Well yeah... what about the moon? This is not supposed to directly support the sequel-idea, i just try to connect some dots. And i will probably forget most of the stuff which i didnt think of...

So we have the original series NGE. Correct me if i´m wrong but there was once the FAR and they spread out those seeds into space. 2 of them arrived on earth and they were the eggs of 2 angels. Adam in Lilith.

Adam was in the white moon at the south pole. We could see it in EoE.
Lilith was in the black moon in Japan.

And we also have our grey moon, floating in space... in the Series it never had that popular role but still every episode ended with the song "fly me to the moon".

And in the original plotline there were some ruins called Aluka on the moon and there was supposed to be the last angel. Correct me if i´m wrong. The only source i have for this is:
Episode 24: The promised time, now: Rei is defeated. Her secret is
revealed. The most powerful, 12th Angel awakens, at last, and decends to
Earth from the Moon. The Americas, along with the Eva unit-06 is erased
from the surface of the Earth. Humanity learns futility against the
Angel's absolute power. The promised time, when humanity will return to
nothing, approaches. A human drama of hopelessness.

Episode 25: Aluka, the promised land: The laboratory seeks the ancient
ruin, and key to everyting: "Aluka." The UN decides to abandon the Human
Completion Program and focus on the destruction of the 12th Angel.
Shinji's father opposes the idea. Shinji and the others stay in the
laboratory for Rei. A human dram of people's conflict over differing
objectives.

Final Episode: The only way: The ending. The laboratory's destruction and
completion to all the secrets and dramas. Finale.

http://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/oldeva/1998-April/013136.html

And now we have the New Movie Edition NME.
What did we see? Some coffins and an Evangelion on the grey moon. NERV has a real base up there. Might this have anything to do with Aluka?

And now we even might have seen the black moon in Japan (again)

And there was this other black orb at the south pole during/after the second impact.

So with all the things with the moons... the blood stream which might be trolling and so on... i still can´t lose the feeling that i´m totally missing something. The moon is damn important.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:54 am

I don't know whether you might've accounted for this or not, but it's generally implied that the moon (the one in the sky) was created when Lilith landed on the planet. It's one of the reasons that Rei has so much goddamn moon imagery and symbolism.

Generally, you can take the existence of the moon as being one big cosmic symbol of "this is not how Earth was supposed to be."
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:25 am

Funnily enough, in Rebuild, Kaworu is getting much more of that Moon symbolism than Rei.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:53 am

In NGE canon, completely disregarding NME and the Proposal, the Geofront is in the Black Moon which is underneath Japan, the White Moon is in Antarctica, and Earth's Moon is a chunk of rock thrown into space when the Black Moon collided with Earth.

Rei is connected with the Moon, in a way, because she is Lilith (in terms of soul), who arrived on Earth in the Black Moon.

According to Ikuto Yamashita in Sore Wo Nasumono, Rei's story was initially planned to be very different. And I may be wrong, but I feel like I remember something about Yamashita also saying the Moon (Earth's) was initially intended to play a bigger part. Regardless of whether he said that or not, twelve Apostolos were supposed to come down from the Moon and destroy the Western hemisphere, so there's that.

Yamashita's writing style is... not the easiest to understand... so nothing was ever translated in greater detail about the changes that were made to Rei's story. However, it's quite likely that when "Fly me to the Moon" was chosen as NGE's ED, it was supposed to have more significance than it ended up having. Or at least a different significance.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:04 am

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:Funnily enough, in Rebuild, Kaworu is getting much more of that Moon symbolism than Rei.

Insert theory here.

Does anyone else think the moon's going to wind up actually being important this time around, though? What with Diebuster and TTGL, they just can't seem to leave the damn thing alone, and now there's a base there and everything...and Mark 06...and the Swizzle Stick of Kaworu...and the huge blood trail. I don't know if it's going to turn into a giant Eva or something, but really, it seems like they're focusing on it a little too much.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:17 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Does anyone else think the moon's going to wind up actually being important this time around, though?
It already is. There's a whole Nerv base up there at which the "first true Evangelion" was "constructed" while its pilot waited around naked in a coffin. Fuyutsuki and Gendo actually fry tsu za Moon, but aren't allowed to land. I'm sure we'll return to the Moon before long. Not counting the time between movie releases.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:20 pm

Funnily enough, in Rebuild, Kaworu is getting much more of that Moon symbolism than Rei.

OH MY GOD KAWORU IS LILITH AND Rei IS ADAM
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:54 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:According to Ikuto Yamashita in Sore Wo Nasumono, Rei's story was initially planned to be very different. And I may be wrong, but I feel like I remember something about Yamashita also saying the Moon (Earth's) was initially intended to play a bigger part. Regardless of whether he said that or not, twelve Apostolos were supposed to come down from the Moon and destroy the Western hemisphere, so there's that.

Yamashita's writing style is... not the easiest to understand... so nothing was ever translated in greater detail about the changes that were made to Rei's story. However, it's quite likely that when "Fly me to the Moon" was chosen as NGE's ED, it was supposed to have more significance than it ended up having. Or at least a different significance.

Are you repeating someone else's paraphrase of Yamashita, or is this your own paraphrase based on the Japanese? I don't think I've run across Yamashita saying things about Rei before, nor does http://wiki.evageeks.org/Sore_o_Nasumono have anything.

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:30 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:OH MY GOD KAWORU IS LILITH AND Rei IS ADAM

actually adam is now in the moon and lilith in Japan, so it's logical that the imagery would switch.

it made sence that Rei would be associated with the moon, most people give the moon feminine attributes. i suppose that's why they stated that it was indeed lilith at terminal dogma so early on on rebuild, for a long time we assumed it was adam but since we know better now there is no point in the deception.
Not who you think I am.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:40 pm

View Original Postberto wrote:actually adam is now in the moon and lilith in Japan, so it's logical that the imagery would switch.

Mark 06 is not Adam. It remains to be seen whether the concept of Adam as a single, unified being even exists in Rebuild.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:14 pm

really? i missed that part? so if it's not adam what did they say that white giant on the moon is? or did they specifically say that it wasn't adam?
Not who you think I am.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:34 pm

View Original Postberto wrote:really? i missed that part? so if it's not adam what did they say that white giant on the moon is? or did they specifically say that it wasn't adam?

They said it's Evangelion Mark 06. They have also said what Adams - the closest thing we have to Adam - are, and they do not appear to be Mark 06.

Podferio
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Podferio » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:21 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:They said it's Evangelion Mark 06. They have also said what Adams - the closest thing we have to Adam - are, and they do not appear to be Mark 06.

I seem to have missed the part where they said Adam"s"... Mind pointing that part of the film?
I watched lots of animes but none is better than NGE :)

After watching NGE, other animes just won't do anymore for me...

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:40 am

View Original PostPodferio wrote:I seem to have missed the part where they said Adam"s"... Mind pointing that part of the film?

The preview at the end of 1.11.

Podferio
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Podferio » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:02 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:The preview at the end of 1.11.

Meh.. I thought they specifically pointed it out. If I remember correctly, in that preview they only show 4 energy based beings(not sure what it's called). Can someone with the movie post a ss of that part and verify if it did say something about Adam"S" or not...

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:21 am

View Original PostPodferio wrote:Meh.. I thought they specifically pointed it out. If I remember correctly, in that preview they only show 4 energy based beings(not sure what it's called). Can someone with the movie post a ss of that part and verify if it did say something about Adam"S" or not...

sure ;)

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9917&start=0

Podferio
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Podferio » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:09 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:sure ;)

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9917&start=0

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:29 am

So you guys are saying that the Geofront is basically that Dark Side of the Moon?

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:48 pm

ok, i didn't see anything there that implied or disproved that that thing on the moon wasn't adam, or an adam, simply an implication the four beings of light, which remind me of Rei, oddly enough, are called adams.
Not who you think I am.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:53 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:So you guys are saying that the Geofront is basically that Dark Side of the Moon?

no. the geofront would be inside the black moon. in EoE they at least refered to it this way - or also liliths egg.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”