NME's Second Impact and Post-2I Effect

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

NME's Second Impact and Post-2I Effect [Spoilers]

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:14 pm

Alright, so I looked for a bit, and I couldn't find any other threads on the subject (then again, I didn't look very hard), but here I go.

So, as we can tell by simply looking, the effects of Second Impact in the new movies is vastly different than in the original series. Instead, this time the oceans became blood red, and a rainbow thing expanded from the point of impact. Just like what almost happened with Unit-01 at the end of 2.0. However, my questions is regarding a certain detail within the rainbow ring.

When we see the flashback to Second Impact during Shinji and Kaji's conversation at the aquarium, we see the explosion and the a large black orb (the Black Moon?) being pushed from the Earth. But we also see four crosses coming out with it.

Just what the hell are these crosses? Somehow I'm not inclined to believe that they are the four Lances we see a few shots later.

Earlier in the movie, during Gendo and Fuyutsuki's trip to the moon, they look down at the site of Second Impact, where the rainbow ring still is. If you look closely, there's still four crosses sticking out.

Anybody have any possible explanations/theories as to what those things might be?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:15 pm

My theory is that each black cross corresponds to an Adam from 2I. In fact, I bet this is 100% fact. But I do not know WHY they are there.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:59 pm

It looks like an old ELO LP cover.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:05 pm

The Moon colors are inverted just to fuck with us: The crosses are just energy manifestations to represent the four Adams. The rainbows represent the signing of the Convenant with Lilith. The red oceans is a biblical metaphor. Mari is a FAR.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Podferio
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Podferio » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:10 am

@AuraTwilight
I've been reading about this for a while but don't know what it meant. What exactly does "signing of the Covenant with Lilith" mean?

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:...Mari is a FAR.

o.O?
I watched lots of animes but none is better than NGE :)

After watching NGE, other animes just won't do anymore for me...

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:23 am

View Original PostPodferio wrote:What exactly does "signing of the Covenant with Lilith" mean?

In both 1.0 and 2.0, Gendo and Seele mention a covenant/contract with Lilith.

In the Old Testament, the rainbow is identified as a sign of the covenant with God:
Genesis 9:15-16 wrote:And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.

Also, i'm starting to think that the Black Moon that can be seen during this version of Second Impact isn't a sign of souls being harvested, but rather that it somehow contains the body of Eva-06, and it somehow crashed into the Moon.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:27 am

I think the four crosses are the four Adams unleashing energy or a powerful explosion going off in their location.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:14 am

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:I think the four crosses are the four Adams unleashing energy or a powerful explosion going off in their location.

But they're still there, nearly fifteen years later...and they don't seem like glowy crossplosions, but like physical objects.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:01 am

Maybe those four crosses are giant longinus lances (or some other device) empaling the adams?

It seems that this impact was "frozen", and could have obliterated all life on earth is not stopped.

It would be quite different from Evangelion's limited second impact.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:12 am

I have one thing to say....
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

NatTheWriter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby NatTheWriter » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:01 pm

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:I have one thing to say....

I am curious. What might that be?

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:50 pm

TASTE THE RAINBOW, MOTHERFUCKER!!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:28 pm

Well, seeing as how the physical crosses physical resemble the Tree of Life from EoE and Fuyutski was on about some shit about a "land purged of sin", my guess is that the rainbow area covers something akin to a new Garden of Eden, which is where the Biblical Tree of Life and Knowledge grew. Basically, whatever happened during NME's Second Impact, the result was a new Garden of Eden. I don't have a clue as to why there are four, probably some arcane and esoteric symbolism, which Anno is making a point to actually mean something. Only time will tell if he succeeds.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:50 pm

Oh god there's going to be four Fruits this time. Fffffff-
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:00 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:I don't have a clue as to why there are four, probably some arcane and esoteric symbolism, which Anno is making a point to actually mean something.

No need for anything arcane and esoteric. Four Adams at Second Impact? Four Children (not counting Kaworu...I'm talking about the "Children chosen by fate" thing here)? A connection between the two? <--hint: i really, really think so

And the Garden of Eden thing supposedly happened in NGE as well; Fuyutsuki referred to Antarctica as a land free of sin then, too. Only in NGE it didn't have four crosses and more gay pride than San Francisco.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:11 am

MHNL wrote:I don't have a clue as to why there are four, probably some arcane and esoteric symbolism, which Anno is making a point to actually mean something.

isn't the number four somehow associated with death in Japanese culture (among others)? something about the kanji being read as "shi," which is also a way to read the kanji for "death."

oh, were you looking for an in-story explanation? 'cause, yeah, i definitely don't have that... :sweatdrop:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:43 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:And the Garden of Eden thing supposedly happened in NGE as well; Fuyutsuki referred to Antarctica as a land free of sin then, too. Only in NGE it didn't have four crosses and more gay pride than San Francisco.

Another difference to take note of is that in NGE, Gendo and Fuyutski actually went there. Of course, Fuyutski also referred to it as a "dead sea". Speaking of which, does anyone in NME say exactly what happened during Second Impact? In particular, does anyone mention that juicy quote about "exterminating all life down to the microorganisms" that the original had? If they do, you can all just ignore me. I think that if what I'm saying holds any water, the South Pole in NME will be quite the opposite of a dead sea: a lush paradise from which all the angels are spawned. A more literal Eden. Of course, we can't see it because of all the rainbows in the air make a pretty good cloak. And it presumably can't be attacked for some inane reason. Probably something about purity, or maybe it's too risky and will instantly cause Third Impact. Maybe it's surrounded by a massive AT Field, or it's illegal because of a sub-section in SEELE'S Contract with Lilith "NO ATTACK SOUTH POLE".
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:04 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:No need for anything arcane and esoteric. Four Adams at Second Impact? Four Children (not counting Kaworu...I'm talking about the "Children chosen by fate" thing here)? A connection between the two? <--hint: i really, really think so

And the Garden of Eden thing supposedly happened in NGE as well; Fuyutsuki referred to Antarctica as a land free of sin then, too. Only in NGE it didn't have four crosses and more gay pride than San Francisco.

I'm calling it now. Just like how people thought EoE ended with Adam and Eve, Rebuild will end with Adam and Steve. He's going to make you happy, Shinji-kun.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:47 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:I think that if what I'm saying holds any water, the South Pole in NME will be quite the opposite of a dead sea: a lush paradise from which all the angels are spawned. A more literal Eden.

Angel-land? Reichu would be beyond happy.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:07 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Another difference to take note of is that in NGE, Gendo and Fuyutski actually went there. Of course, Fuyutski also referred to it as a "dead sea".

It was just my thinking but I noted that they seem to be inside the ship the whole time and they mention that it was possible for them to be there thanks to the power of the "SCIENCE"; a local modification of the atmosphere (as well of the sea) is also mentioned, but everything is even harder to explain compared to the NME; in the Rebuild there could be an anti AT field that make that land untouchable and pure but what are the cause of those modifications in the original series are beyond my imagination.
P.S.: I tried to make a thread about the Second Impact but it didn't seem to catch anyone's attention, it could be because of my ugly English.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”