Is there a release date for Evangelion 3.0?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:52 pm

My view of Rebuild is it started simply as an easy way to raise capital for Studio Khara.

You're Hideaki Anno. You're a renowned name in the Japanese animation field and now you want to return to animation after directing a couple live action films, some excellent- Love & Pop, Shiki-Jitsu, some just odd, Cutie Honey. Problem is you want to return to animation but be your own boss and make work that appeals to you more than what the popular entertainment has become. You don't want to have to deal with Gainax who have gone past what it was originally made for. Maybe you have a beef with the current owner or you just don't approve of what they genuinely do to their products.

So you decide to make a new studio. You call it Khara. Cause that's cool. It has 2 A's in the name for fuck's sake. TWO A's!!! But the problem is you need money to be able to make what you want. You need to raise cash. And quick? What do to? Oh wait, you're the director of a series that is still bringing in mountains of cash a whole decade after release. So you agree to work with that old studio to make a quick cash in remake of that series. The plan is knock this thing out in less than 2 years and get to work making your own shit.

But then the first film in this franchise goes better than you expected. Hell, you're working with the largest budget you've ever had and can do things you always wanted to do. Like make that Operation Yashima incident actually compelling. Fuck, there's so many opportunities to play around in this world now with the finances you got. Hell, maybe instead of doing a bland remake with a semi-new ending you could actually do something entirely different! Guess it's time to take this quick cash-grab back to the drawing board and really get to work.

...That's the way I view it personally. Rebuild started as a way to make money quick for Khara and then Anno actually got involved with the franchise.

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby JoeD80 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:45 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:I have a theory that Anno wants or wanted to use Rebuild to destroy his art and neatly resolve the original series, in order to say, 'show's over guys, go home, move on'.

Nothing says "show's over" better than spending years working on something.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Chrad » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:33 pm

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:Nothing says "show's over" better than spending years working on something.

More like, "here you go, more Eva, just like you wanted, awesome, right? Okay, that's it." I'm expecting one of the next installments to feature some rather blatant messages about 'letting go' and 'moving on'.
It's hypocrticial, but that's Anno.
Or I could be completely wrong and he's decided that Eva and its enduring fanbase are actually awesome and he just wants to stoke the fires.

Gendo's Papa's speculation sounds pretty likely, actually.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:23 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:Gendo's Papa's speculation sounds pretty likely, actually.

I don't think Rebuild even started as mere cash grab project, but it's obvious that his ambition has grown manifold since the project started. I'm certain that he genuinely intends to surpass the original series here.

Add this together with his notable perfectionism and his "production method" (read: Anno does not plan ahead much, certainly not the ending) and slow progress of Rebuild becomes nigh-inevitable.

That said I don't care, I'm happy to eat all that shit made of solid gold Anno defecates on us.

Seph
Adam

Postby Seph » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:25 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I had a good laugh at this:

Source: http://www.animenewsservice.com/archives/septxo.htm

Oh lawd.

This really underscores the fact that we really don't know whether 3 & 4 will be one or two movies at this point. Sure, it was planned that way, but things have changed a lot since then.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Chrad » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:04 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I don't think Rebuild even started as mere cash grab project, but it's obvious that his ambition has grown manifold since the project started. I'm certain that he genuinely intends to surpass the original series here.

As much as I'm enjoying the Rebuild, so far I'd have to say, 'mission failed'.
Eva is one of those things that I don't think should have been touched, so I'd like to think there's some kind of greater artistic purpose behind the new series than 'remake it, but this time more better'.
Time will tell.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:12 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:As much as I'm enjoying the Rebuild, so far I'd have to say, 'mission failed'.

Well, yeah, I agree. I don't think RoE ever even had a chance to be as fantastic but that doesn't mean it still can't be awesome :lol:

View Original PostChrad wrote:Eva is one of those things that I don't think should have been touched, so I'd like to think there's some kind of greater artistic purpose behind the new series than 'remake it, but this time more better'.
Time will tell.

Many different desires are motivating us to create the new "Evangelion" film.

The desire to portray my sincere feelings on film.
The desire to share, with an audience, the embodiment of image, the diversity of expressions, and the detailed portrayal of emotions that animation offers.
The desire to connect today's exhausted Japanese animation [industry] to the future.
The desire to fight the continuing trend of stagnation in anime.
The desire to support the strength of heart that exists in the world.

Finally, the desire to have these wishes be realized.

For these purposes, we used the best methods available to us to make another Evangelion film.
Many times we wondered, "It's a title that's more than 10 years old. Why now?"
"Eva is too old", we felt.
However, over the past 12 years, there has been no anime newer than Eva.

Specifically, among the stagnant mood of the present day, it is the portrayal of will - not technology - that is most important.
To support the fans that support animation, we felt that a work that would appeal to middle and high school-aged men, who quickly grow away from Anime, was necessary.
When we decided that we wanted to something to support the anime [industry] of today, the determination to return to this title was strong.

As the creator of this project, [I assure you that] a very new-feeling Evangelion world has beeen constructed.
For this purpose, we are not returning to our roots at Gainax. I have set up a production company and studio, and it is in this new setting that we will start again.
Without looking back, without admiration for the circumstances, we aim to walk towards the future.
Thankfully, we have gathered staff from the old series, new staff, and many other fantastic staff to work on this series.
We realize that we are creating something that will be better than the last series.

”Eva" is a story that repeats.
It is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little.
It is a story of fear, where someone who must face indefinite solitude fears reaching out to others, but still wants to try.
We hope that you look forward to the 4 new retellings of this story.

In closing, it is also our job to provide a service to our customers.
Although it seems obvious, we aim to create a form of entertainment that anyone can look forward to; one that people who have never seen Evangelion can easily adjust to, one that can engage audiences as a movie for theatres, and one that produces a new understanding of the world.

This fall, we hope you can join us.

Creator/General Director, Anno Hideaki

Gather what you will from this as far as "purposes" behind the films go

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

Postby chaosakita » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:31 pm

If it's a cash-grab, it's sure taking a long time....

But I think that after all these years, Anno really wants to show a different side of himself. The Anno of 1995 and the Anno of 2005 are very different people, and I'm glad that he has volunteered to use his new self to give us a new movie.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:39 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:My view of Rebuild is it started simply as an easy way to raise capital for Studio Khara.

[...]

...That's the way I view it personally. Rebuild started as a way to make money quick for Khara and then Anno actually got involved with the franchise.
Except that Anno planned it as a GAINAX project, then he left to form khara and do the movies there when Yamaga said they're doing TTGL instead.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:49 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Except that Anno planned it as a GAINAX project, then he left to form khara and do the movies there when Yamaga said they're doing TTGL instead.

Sauce?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:46 pm

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:59 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Sauce.

Thanks!

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:27 am

My question is, why aren't there ever ANY leaks in regards to these films? In America, any franchise that has even the slightest amount of fan interest has leaks galore, yet we don't get any info on Rebuild until it comes down officially. Isn't there anybody on the inside who will toss the Japanese fan sites a bone?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:59 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:My question is, why aren't there ever ANY leaks in regards to these films? In America, any franchise that has even the slightest amount of fan interest has leaks galore, yet we don't get any info on Rebuild until it comes down officially. Isn't there anybody on the inside who will toss the Japanese fan sites a bone?

Because leaks are silly and can ruin fantastic surprises for the fans. Why you would want that I have no idea.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:55 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:My question is, why aren't there ever ANY leaks in regards to these films? In America, any franchise that has even the slightest amount of fan interest has leaks galore, yet we don't get any info on Rebuild until it comes down officially. Isn't there anybody on the inside who will toss the Japanese fan sites a bone?

I think the studios would never allow such a thing, and they will go to great lengths to ensure that no leaks would come out during production. Besides, if you really wanted inside info, you'll have to know moonspeak as you have to hack through blog posts, press releases, or 2ch discussions.

db84x
Embryo

Postby db84x » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:12 am

Rebuild Eva is a big project which purposed to revive excitement to Evangelion franchise again, of course studio will protect it as best as they can.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:59 am

So from the OT chit-chat last pages, i take it there is not even a single tinyass hint about a possible release anytime soon?
Ah, not surprised but still kind of sucky.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:41 am

From the Panty & Stocking thread:

NewType info for Panty & Stocking future episodes:

-Shinji Higuchi, the mastermind behind Evangelion's action sequences, is storyboarding the action for episode 6; episode 6 was called "specially gore-y" by people that have seen it.
(...)
-Kazuya Tsurumaki and Masayuki of FLCL and Evangelion fame will be working in future episodes.

The three most prominent players of NME, besides Anno himself, involved in another project? I guess that crushes my secret hopes about Q already being in production, kept in utter secrecy.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:10 am

Directing one tv series episode doesn't take all that much time

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:11 am

Since when is it so difficult to work on two or more projects--at different locations--around the same time? :sachi_blink: (Didn't Anno work on some of P&S too?)

Maybe not the best example in the world, but Sadamoto still released manga chapters during 1.0 and 2.0.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”