2.0 FUNimation dub voices

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
roblucci01
Sachiel
Sachiel

2.0 FUNimation dub voices (No spoilers)

•      
  •      

Postby roblucci01 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:55 pm

Now that 1.0 has been dubbed in English, I wanted to sort of get peoples opinions on the voices for the characters in the Evangelion 2.0 dub that have not been confirmed yet.

Basically, which voice actors/ actresses do you think should do voices Asuka, Kaji, and Mari? Looking at FUNimations roster I can honestly say there are quite a few lovely choices out there that would work quite well.

As for Mari, I think Caitlin Glass would be an excellent choice. She voiced Haruhi Fujioka in the dub of OHSHC and seems to have that kind of tone to her voice that would it Mari quite well. If anyone wants an example to what she sounds like in the dub, I might recommend lurking on FUNimations youtube channel. They have posted official and legal episodes from the show on their page.

Kaji is kind of any easy one. Eric Vale could do a great voice, considering he has that sort of laid-back tone which Kaji sort of embodies. I'm basing this off his performance as Sanji in the non-butchered FUNimation dub of One Piece.

Finally, I would say Asuka is a tough one. Aside from sticking with Tiffany Grant (which FUNimation will probably do anyway), I think a possible voice could be the OTHER Haruhi (Suzumiya, that is) from the Bandai dub.
I believe her name is Wendy Lee (Don't quote me on that though).

So who do you think would be a good choice? Post your ideas here!
I hate the internet

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:08 pm

I'd like for Tiffany Grant and Aaron Krohn to reprise their roles. I can probably see Kaji getting a replacement voice but I'd still like it if his role is reprized.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:23 pm

Seeing as Tiffany Grant was my most hated actress from the dub I'd love ANYONE but her to do the voice of Asuka. Hell, they could bring in ADV's Gendo and I think it'd be a step up.

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:26 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Seeing as Tiffany Grant was my most hated actress from the dub I'd love ANYONE but her to do the voice of Asuka. Hell, they could bring in ADV's Gendo and I think it'd be a step up.

Pretty much that.

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:30 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Seeing as Tiffany Grant was my most hated actress from the dub I'd love ANYONE but her to do the voice of Asuka. Hell, they could bring in ADV's Gendo and I think it'd be a step up.

I love Tiffany Grant, shes such a nice person. Whom ever it is I hope it sounds good.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:13 pm

Maybe Laura Baily as Mari. She has that good, balanced tone. Caitlen's Haruhi tone is too sarcastic and dry for the nympho-Mari.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:16 pm

Heromaster111 wrote:

Pretty much that.

Same. I just hated Tifanny Grant's performance in the original NGE. I would appreciate if Funimation chose someone else. Wendy Lee sounds like a good alternative. Was a bit too abrash for Haruhi, but it would suit Asuka's character well. While not coming across as being as bitchy as say....Tiffany Grant. ;)

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:43 pm

Wendy Lee is nearly impossible, since she's a heavy L.A. associated with Bang Zoom! union work, and FUNI is Texan non-union. Big money difference for not enough reward.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:20 pm

Taekmkm wrote:Maybe Laura Baily as Mari. She has that good, balanced tone. Caitlen's Haruhi tone is too sarcastic and dry for the nympho-Mari.

Oh God yes. Laura Bailey is my favorite anime VA.

Dr. Webster
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Webster » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:01 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:I'd like for Tiffany Grant and Aaron Krohn to reprise their roles.

Yep. While Tiffany may not be the most well-received VA around here, I still think she's very effective at bringing Asuka to life. Many people say they hate Asuka because of her personality -- that's just as much the work of the VA as it is the writing for the character. If you can get people to have an emotional reaction to your character (other than "meh") then I think you're doing a decent job as a VA.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:26 pm

Dr. Webster wrote:Yep. While Tiffany may not be the most well-received VA around here, I still think she's very effective at bringing Asuka to life.

Until I saw the dub of EoE, I would have disagreed. There's a noticeable improvement in Spencer, MacAvery, and Allison Keith throughout the series, and I think you can say the same for Tiffany Grant. At first she's over the top and loose and constantly hyper, unable to project any of the harshness that Asuka cultivates, but by the time Asuka's character starts getting interesting she's made a bit of progress, and by EoE she's got it almost entirely down, which is why it's such a pity that the Asuka VA's most important duty in any version of EoE is to scream her fucking head off.

That brings me to my big problem with...well, all of the dub VAs, really. They can't scream. You wouldn't think it's a problem, but apparently the bone-chilling howls of Megumi Ogata sort of spoil you for anyone else's attempt. Spencer is the best at screaming, but he still falls flat when it happens for drama value. Grant is just weak at it.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:27 pm

i'd like tiffany to stay as Asuka. she brought her bitchyness out, and while it's probably because i'm not used to wendy lee as Asuka, i don't think she'd be an effective Asuka

reminded me of this
i want rebuild

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:33 pm

Azathoth wrote:Grant is just weak at it.

They sound pretty good to me.
"I DON'T WANT TO DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE" in EoE gave me goosebumps.

Tiffany Grant's voice for Asuka fits perfectly and it portrays her well of course people who prefer the subbed version will think otherwise, and the same about all the other characters but whaddyagonnado? :shrug:
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:40 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:

"I DON'T WANT TO DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE" in EoE gave me goose gumps.

yes.
and most of her dialogue in eoe was convincing, imo. the crescendo when she was saying "i'll kill you" was almost eerie, and the part where she mocks Shinji during instrumentality really popped out to me.
i want rebuild

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:45 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:"I DON'T WANT TO DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE" in EoE gave me goosebumps.

This is just my opinion, but I'd say that's because the English translation of the line simply sounds better screamed than the original Japanese. The i-sound ending vowel just fits better than the short-a.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Dr. Webster
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Webster » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:

"I DON'T WANT TO DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE" in EoE gave me goosebumps.

It's actually the part where she's whispering that line over and over that really got me. You need to crank the volume up, but it seems she put a lot of emotion into the way she delivered those.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:18 pm

Dr. Webster wrote:It's actually the part where she's whispering that line over and over that really got me. You need to crank the volume up, but it seems she put a lot of emotion into the way she delivered those.

Yeah. I think that whole scene was great and the build up was excellent.

roblucci01
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby roblucci01 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:45 pm

I actually thought Tiffany Grant was a rather decent Asuka.

Although I would like someone new just for a little variation.
I hate the internet

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:15 pm

Oh yeah

that was pretty chilling & well executed on Grant's part, as well as her scream when the faux spear attacks her & Unit 02
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:45 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:I'd like for Tiffany Grant and Aaron Krohn to reprise their roles. I can probably see Kaji getting a replacement voice but I'd still like it if his role is reprized.

I don't know if they'll get Aaron Krohn. But seeing as how they didn't get Amanda Winn-Lee for Rei again, I doubt they're putting that much effort to getting the originals for the other supporting teenage females.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”