Epsiode 19 v.s Rebuild 2.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Epsiode 19 v.s Rebuild 2.0

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:27 am

I have a question for everyone.We've all seen episode 19 of the TV series and how Unit 01 went berserk and ate the angel.And some of us saw Unit 01 going berserk again but much differently and doesnt involve angel eating either by camrip or officaly in a theater.So my question is this.

Which Berserk scene do you like more?The original or the one in 2.0.

I actually dont know.Both were pretty good.But not hard to choose.So,I'd have to go with 2.0's.It's just seems much cooler and way more awsome.

Sorry if this seems like an odd question but I'm just curious since both scenes are completely different from each other.

Title edited to stave off the inevitable

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:01 am

2.0 contents have absolutely nothing over ridiculously tightly constructed perfection of whole ep 19. Especially whoe berserk scene with lazor beamz from mouth don't have a shit against Shogoki going batshit crazy and cannibalizing Zeruel

which is not to say 2.0's one isn't awesome. It just doesn't have anything over the original except budget

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:20 am

I like some things about the 2.0 version, but original is a big win for me. No glowy red-eyed Shinji raging on about Ayanami (who he inexplicably believes to be retrievable, as opposed to just being digested), no B Cup Zeruel, no dopey ATF arms and energy gags and halos -- just the Eva, her raw Mama Bear savagery, and the poor Angel who gets to be on the receiving end.

In 2.0, they've obviously siphoned Yui's Altered States moment into the Bardiel incident and Beast Mode Eva-02, but that doesn't really cut it for me. The episode 19 "Awakening" scene, priceless and classic as it is, glaringly suffers from the "Not Enough Money" syndrome. I frankly would've loved to see Zeruel (without breasts) meet a familiar end on a higher budget...

...but I guess that was too predictable and straightforward for Anno.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:27 am

The Awakening scene in 2.0 was pretty awesome in it's own right, but... the original is just more ferocious, brutal and in a sense, more mature.

I remember clearly the way Eva-01 pulled Zeruel up to her face and growled, simply oozing immeasurable threat. Zeruel's face never moved, he never let out a sound (well, just in the final second before his death), but you could just FEEL his terror.

Whereas, in 2.0 Zer actually lets out a small yelp when 01 pushes him away with her A.T. field.

There are a lot of other things i could mention, and though the cannibalization part has been largely transferred over to the Eva-03 scene, so it's not like it's completely absent, i prefer the original.

EDIT:
Now i sound (read.. whatever) like i'm parroting Reichu. That's what i get for taking too long to type up a post.

EDIT 2:
If there is one area where the 2.0 version wins over the original, it's the conclusion. That is, the original had a lack of conclusion. "Eva-01 has become a God!.... And on the next day...".

Eva-01 getting Kaworuowned, on the other hand, puts a decisive end to the "Eva-01 can not be controlled" problem. Not to mention, it was a pretty sweet scene.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:52 am

SaltyJoe wrote:I remember clearly the way Eva-01 pulled Zeruel up to her face and growled, simply oozing immeasurable threat. Zeruel's face never moved, he never let out a sound (well, just in the final second before his death), but you could just FEEL his terror.

Ooo, yes, great moment.

Now that you mention it: perhaps it's just the shit quality, but Zeruel's Fear Factor seems to be missing from the 2.0 version. In episode 19, I found such small things as what you mention above, plus that final moment of desperation and vulnerability before his face gets smashed in, to be very poignant. I just didn't feel it this time around.

Whereas, in 2.0 Zer actually lets out a small yelp when 01 pushes him away with her A.T. field.

Does he?

though the cannibalization part has been largely transferred over to the Eva-03 scene, so it's not like it's completely absent, i prefer the original.

I don't think Eva-01 does any actual eating in 2.0, though. So it would be mauling with the teeth, not cannibalism.

If there is one area where the 2.0 version wins over the original, it's the conclusion.

Yeah, episode 20 really, REALLY failed to follow up on that awesome ending. It filled me with so much impotent rage back in the day. Okay, so they had no budget, but come on... They didn't have to leave a hole in the narrative Sahaquiel could float through.

By the way, can you elaborate further on what you meant by "more mature"? I am curious.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:02 am

Reichu wrote:Does he?

Okay, i can't really decide whether it's just an A.T. field sound effect, but at 1:35:58 you can hear something like a small "Ah!" coming from Zer. After the "pthoey" sound Zer made when spitting out 00's head, i wouldn't put anything past Anno and crew.

By the way, can you elaborate further on what you meant by "more mature"? I am curious.

Well, the scene in the original, i feel, was a representation of maternal affection becoming a force of sheer destruction. A very primal, very basic instinct manifesting itself as an act of savagery. The strongest, most pure bond between two people imaginable sparking the unleashing of an incomprihensible creature. "Love is Destructive" indeed.

Now in 2.0, the scene also had the same elements, and probably even more (caving in for an ideal over the real world), but all in alll, it came of rather as a hero saves the girl type of deal. It's just not as unexpected, not as raw (well, it was unexpected, since us fans expected something completely different:P).

This was also present in the reactions of those witnessing 01's awakening: everyone was utterly terrified in NGE, whereas in 2.0 Misato cheers Shinji on. It's not something completely devoid of reason (seeing how Misato probably had enough of Shinji being used), but it still gives a boost to the "Go hero, GO!" feel.

In a strange way, Anno subverted the expectations of long time fans by briniging the scene closer to a classic heroic triumph. Man, that guy can screw with one's head.

Another thing is the clue in we get about Eva-01 being Angelic in nature: ripping of Zer's arm and using it to grow a new one vs. just sprouting a halo. The latter is just more gaudy.

Perhaps mature is not the right word: the original, despite it's savagery is just more elegant and edgier. It is awesome to behold, with much to look at and think about, but it still doesn't let the viewer get comfortable or live vicariously through it.

However, one has to consider which fits better with a movie format: and i think, despite the flaws, v2.0 is really more cinema-fit, and not just because of the pretty graphics.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Epsiode 19 v.s Rebuild 2.0 [SPOLERS, natch]

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:13 am

Eva 04 wrote:Which Berserk scene do you like more?The original or the one in 2.0.

I liked 2.0's more. It was shiny.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Barong
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Barong » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:25 am

I prefer the series version for the chill factor. I don't care much for flashy effects and such anyways. It's good to see Eva polished up and all, but this very scene wasn't AS good as the original. Still very good, though.

Zeruel was one hell of an opponent which easily destroyed Nigoki. Yet when Shogoki went berserk it was just walking circles around the angel, totally annihilating it. It gave a very scary impression of what the Evas are really capable of if "freed from their boundaries". I guess in a way that was transported well through the Rebuild scene, too, but with Shinji being very much aware of his surroundings at the time it seemed more like the boys rage was unleashed, not Evas.
and he who forgets will be destined to remember

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 am

Reichu wrote:

Does he?

The sound is more audible in Death, but its kind of ambiguous as to whether its Zeruel grunting, or AT Field noise.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:30 am

Episode 19 gave me chills. Despite the lack of budget they managed to make one of the scariest images I've seen in anime. 2.0 however can not top that.

I do like what they did in 2.0 but I get the feeling that the whole 'berserk' scene is just showing that Shinji not Eva-01 has incredible power.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:53 am

Yui-sama wrote:NOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

[/thread]

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:50 am

Ep. 19 is a classic. I loved the way Unit 01 ate Zeruel...poor thing.
Rebuild 2.0 is something new, fresh idea, I don't really mind the changes.

Well, if possible, combine rebuild with the Unit 01-eating-Zeruel part will be wicked!

obama
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby obama » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:43 am

im pretty sure unit 1 took a few bites out of unit 3 in the bardiel scene.

both eva and rebuild are perfect for what they are.

you also have to understand anno is now doing what he envisioned with a real budget now, and with his tv series he couldnt do certain things. also being another reason for making eoe after eva.

you really have to watch rebuild by not imagining it as a sequel because its not, and as something completely unrelated to the original eva show, its a rebuild.
Saving the world!

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:34 pm

although ep 19 ca never be replaced, i enjoy the 2.0 version until this....

honestly anno...

Evafan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Evafan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:52 pm

Episode 19 was clearly better in my opinion. They we're both good though don't get me wrong. It's just episode 19 was the moment when you really saw concretely these aren't just robots, and I think it did a much better job portraying it.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:57 pm

Episode 19 was awesome for the battle though it suffered from "lack of budget" and no conclusion syndrome.

2.0 was awesome for the factor of Shinji and Yui working together more or less (though it gave me EoE vibes with Kyoko and Asuka), and although having the battle tied up was nice...

Seeing Yui finish off Zer on her own once again with a better budget would have been great. But, I guess it's like Reichu said: Anno wanted to do something different instead of the "same old, same old".

EDIT: Reichu brings up a great point though: How DOES Shinji know Rei is inside Zer instead of assuming she was just plain eaten? >_>
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:42 pm

I have the agree, the original fight with Zeruel, the raw, brutal, primal, horrific one, beats the glowing, yay Shinji!, color orgasm anytime. Yui suddenly cutting through Zer's blades with her FINGERS, then ripping them off to grow a new arm is just awesome. Same with the cannibalization scene, chilling, ominous, all of the other words people've used to describe it.

Although halo and ATF arm were really stupid, I actually liked GNZ just because of how ridiculous it was. I was really hoping Yui would still eat Zer, just so she can tear off his sopping wet tits with her mighty jaws. Alas, it's not what we got. The same about Zer eating Rei, ridiculous but awesome, It came out of nowhere and made no sense, but it was just really cool.

Anyway, since this thread is titled '19 vs. 2.0' doesn't that mean we can talk about the other events re imagined into 2.0? By which, I mean the 'Asuka and Rei vs. Zeruel' vs. 'Mari and Rei vs. Zeruel' and 'Kaji Melon Patch' vs. 'Mari Crashes into the Shelter' scenes?

Now, I LOVE episode 19, but except for the final scene with Zeruel, I find myself preferring Rebuild. I loved seeing Asuka resign to failure, then getting decapitated, but . . . Beast Mode! The logic behind this is the same as GNZ and his big mouth, makes no sense, comes out of nowhere, but it's completely awesome! Sure, it overshadows Asuka in every single way and creates an assload of anatomical inconsistencies, but it's just an awesome action scene! And I don't even like action scenes!

Same goes for Mari. Yeah, she's Mary-Sue-ish, but I find her more engaging than Asuka. Nothing against Asuka, she's by far the more interesting character, but if I had to watch a fight, I'd rather it be Mari.

Then there's the whole thing with Rei running in with that huge missile and it highlights everything I liked about 2.0, it's episode 19 cracked up to 11! Meanwhile, ferile Kyoko is running around on all fours, tearing at Zeruel's ATF and then the missile goes off and everything's covered in ash.

Although I did like the original version of EVA02's head crashing into the shelter. It's muchg better at creating an atmosphere of hopelessness and dread. Also, as someone pointed out in a thread in Eva Discussion, babies die and it takes about five viewings to notice. Genius.

2.0's crash scene lacks all of that, being only a set-up for Shinji's dramatic turnaround. A bit too narratively convenient, but I guess not anymore so than Shinji just happening to run by Kaji's melon patch. Now, I have to say there's no clear winner with this scene. Rei running out with an N2 mine in the context of this conversation is spine-tingling, while her getting eating eaten in the 2.0 version is just WTF. But the 2.0 version is a bit more convincing in this regard. Everything's charred, super-bad-ass chick is struggling to stand, covered in her own blood, the monster grows tits . . . again, WTF, but the feeling of hopelessness and despair DOES resonant more powerfully than in the original.

Now, that I've written all that, I can't really say I prefer 2.0 anymore. They're VERY similar, but there's SO many differences in intention and execution, that I'm feeling inclined to study them ind-depth or something.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:05 pm

Is this even a question? 2.0 shattered anything the original EVA series produced once that roe2wade cam hit.

The scene in particular though was a lot better, Shinji seemed to have been in a lot more control and wasn't as dependent on Yui. (which IMO is a godsend, I really don't see anything good coming out of interacting with Yui again) Also I don't recall yellling "holy shit" at the screen when I watched the original EP19, I was pretty shocked.. but not as shocked as 2.0.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:34 pm

Axell wrote:although ep 19 ca never be replaced, i enjoy the 2.0 version until this....

honestly anno...

That's actually one of the cooler parts of that scene IMO.Seeing Eva 01 use it's own cross-blast attack on the angel was awsome.But I wonder how Shinji was able to do that though?Unless Yui has that ability,which I doubt,it makes me wonder how it was able to do it.It seemed to have come out of no where.I'd actually would like to know how it even got that ability.I'd also would want to know if the other Eva's have that ability.I'm guessing you'd have to have a really high synch ratio to do it but still.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:56 pm

2.0 seems to be imply Shinji and Yui are working together more or less.

Note how when Shinji is making his way towards Zer, he says something, Yui roars, then Yui pulls some badassery.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I feel Mari's green eyes and Shinji's red eyes have to do with the pilots synching with the Eva enough to go berserk in Rebuild, but I guess it's hard to say yet.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”