You think there's never going to be Asuka/Shinji ?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Eva Unit 18
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Unit 18 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:42 am

Asuka will blame Shinji for what happened with unit 03 I just know it

Fire_Flower
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fire_Flower » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:12 pm

View Original PostDEMOLITION D+ wrote:What is WRONG with you people!?!?!?

Thank You.
Finally.
In the end I hope Kaworu dies and Rei too, and that nobody ends up with nobody!

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:21 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fire_Flower
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fire_Flower » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:41 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Yo, please stop bumping old threads like this unless you have something really substantial to contribute to it! (i.e. news, analysis) These general opinion threads especially really don't need bumping. But thanks for participating and welcome aboard! ^_^

Yeah sorry is only u guys seen to get waay off topic sometimes. And evangelion was created a year after I was born so in terms of understanding it, i think I am a bit late :P

paulpierce
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby paulpierce » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:52 am

Everyone is saying there is no time/it would feel forced/etc., but didn't 2.22 end with third impact? Meaning there is two feature films left, about 4 hours of Rebuild to go. Compare this to 50mins in the series of 90mins in EoE, clearly A LOT more is to come. Saying a kiss will happen or won't happen is just a guess on anyone's part.
People come up to me and say, you were great in Zombieland. I say, well then you've got to see Adventureland. --Michael Cera

MasonFighter
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MasonFighter » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:04 am

View Original Postpaulpierce wrote:Everyone is saying there is no time/it would feel forced/etc., but didn't 2.22 end with third impact? Meaning there is two feature films left, about 4 hours of Rebuild to go. Compare this to 50mins in the series of 90mins in EoE, clearly A LOT more is to come. Saying a kiss will happen or won't happen is just a guess on anyone's part.

There was no third impact in 2.22? Kaworu halted it with the LoL after the credits.
"In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."
"Wars are rarely fought between good and evil; Most are between one good and another good."

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:32 am

Thats 1 of 2 misconceptions made by people who didnt watch everything or werent paying attention it seems.

Its astonishing the number of people that think Asuka dies halfway through 2.0 when theres a scene explicitly showing she didnt.

MasonFighter
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MasonFighter » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:14 am

To be fair, there was nothing in 1.0, so there's really nothing to imply that "Hey, you should stick around until after the credits, something's going to happen."
"In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."
"Wars are rarely fought between good and evil; Most are between one good and another good."

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:45 pm

View Original PostMasonFighter wrote:There was no third impact in 2.22? Kaworu halted it with the LoL after the credits.

Heh. I bet that's exactly what he said when he threw the lance, too. "No third impact today LOL!"

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:44 pm

View Original PostMasonFighter wrote:To be fair, there was nothing in 1.0, so there's really nothing to imply that "Hey, you should stick around until after the credits, something's going to happen."

They probably just had the preview after the credits to follow the same format that NGE did, so it's basically nostalgia for the returning fans. I also heard somewhere that the Japanese usually put previews for upcoming movies or sequels after the credits, but I am not 100% sure on that.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:52 am

"Never" is such a strong, permanent word. Although, at this point (and while we're looking through the Lens of Realism), I put the odds of "unlikely" at about 55-60%. Not to say I'm not wishing, but still...
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Gazdakka Gizbang
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gazdakka Gizbang » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 am

I'd say it's indeed possible. Realising Rei was part Yui and part Lilith was the starting point for Shinji's decreased interest in her, and that has yet to happen, if it does at all.

SPOILER: Show

Kind of humourous how Kaworu rained on their divine parade with the Lance.
"DAMNIT LILITH! HE'S MINE!!!"

It's also entirely conceivable that we're misinterpreting what kind of way Shinji likes Rei. He could love her like the sister he never had, after all. It's not like his mourning over Kaworu meant he was a homosexual.

But Rebuild has shown itself to be the stuff of madness in some areas, so who knows. Shinji is now a lot less reserved than he was before, and both Asuka and Rei seem like they have a greater capacity to love. In my opinion though, pairing Asuka up with another character in the series would feel like a cop-out.

And this is all without considering how Kaworu is going to fit into all of this. At what point is Shinji going to take any real notice of him? Will he go on the rebound after finding out what Rei is, and Asuka doesn't talk to him after the accident?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:14 pm

In the original series it was very unclear what the pairing was until the end, and that's only if you accept that the original even shipped a pairing at all. In the first few episodes it leaned toward Rei/Shinji, much like Rebuild is doing, but once Asuka (and the monster of the week arc) showed up, most evidence of any pair disappeared. We got a little bit of Asuka, and a little bit of Rei, but due to the arc the show was mostly dedicated to the action. After the action arc, any pairing became irrelevant and it really just focused on a bunch of inner-conflictual psychological instances; once again we got a little bit of Rei, and a little bit of Asuka.

If a pairing even happens in Rebuild, which it will if it continues on the trend it's going on now, it's very likely it'll be Rei/Shinji. If Rebuild takes a sudden turn trolling the plot it's already developed, then we're likely to have the same ambiguity over pairings that the original had.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:25 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:We got a little bit of Asuka, and a little bit of Rei, but due to the arc the show was mostly dedicated to the action.

Wat? Action Arc has minimal Rei and maximal Asuka - the arc opens with the only episode of the series that contains no Rei whatsoever and ends in the episode where Asuka finally gets sick of flirting and decides to act on the tension that's been building up between her and Shinji for the duration. Granted that their flirtation doesn't get at the heart of their eventual relationship, but it's a direct counterbalance to the Asuka-less opening of the series - and it's the fact that, unlike with Rei ("you should smile"), Shinji fails to establish a peaceful equilibrium with Asuka, that directly triggers the chaos of the very next episode - and it just goes downhill from there.

As usual in NGE, Shinji's relationship with Asuka (once she shows up) directly mirrors how he feels about his job and how manageable his battles are - the fact that that's been excised is one of the things that annoys me most about her redux.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:39 pm

I really need the watch the show again. The only primary instances of Asuka/Shinji interaction that come to mind right now are: Asuka's intro, the Israfel preparation, and the kiss scene. This is really not much more than with Rei: the apartment revisiting with Toji ("thank you"), and the swapped activation test (Shinji piloting Unit-00). Episode 16, which I consider the end of the action arc, is equally a combination of Rei/Shinji and Asuka/Shinji given each of their reactions to what happened to him. It is certain, though, that after this all interpersonal relationships start to fall apart, and people begin to break down.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:57 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:I really need the watch the show again. The only primary instances of Asuka/Shinji interaction that come to mind right now are: Asuka's intro,

Nearly the entire second half of the episode is devoted to establishing the manner in which Asuka and Shinji can play off each other: his initial passivity and whining in contrast to her impulsive action and attempts to seize control of the situation is suddenly reversed; when the shit goes down Shinji is the one who takes control of the situation and ultimately provides her the help she needs to avoid dying. It's very important because it shows both sides of Shinji, the impotent child and the boy striving for maturity - it's what alerts Asuka to the fact that he is like her, and that's what draws her continued interest in him.

View Original PostSachi wrote:the Israfel preparation,

This time, it's an entire episode devoted almost solely to Asuka and Shinji's relationship - again, largely in a comedic way that doesn't get at the heart of what makes them alike, but NGE's version of the bed scene brings up the fact that Shinji realizes their similarities - albeit indirectly ("You're just a child yourself.") And thematically it uses Asuka and Shinji's relationship to echo one of the most important themes of Eva: if you want anything in your life to be enjoyable, you have to work your ass of at it.

View Original PostSachi wrote:and the kiss scene

MAGMADIVER, dude! You really do need to rewatch the series if you've forgotten your heat expansion! It's a dumb episode, as dumb as NGE ever gets, but again the most important point of the episode is Asuka. Her relationship with Kaji is explored (rooted in a desire to look attractive and intriguing to him) and her relationship with Shinji is put under scrutiny, too - it starts out looking the same as her relationship with Kaji ("If I were to put my hands on my breasts...") and goes somewhere a little different, with Asuka's unusually deredere face after Shinji ultimately saves her from death (again). And then, in the next episode - although Asuka takes a backseat to Shinji's daddy issues, she winds up resolving her debt to Shinji by putting herself deliberately forward as a decoy target for Matarael - a tactic I don't think any of the pilots ever use intentionally for any other angel - so that Shinji can get his kill.

That duology, Magmadiver/The Day Tokyo-3 Stood Still, is not the action arc's centerpiece - that, I would say, goes to An Eighteen-Second Miracle, the only occasion on which all three pilots work together without shit going horribly wrong - but by the end of it the tone has been set for Asuka and Shinji's future interactions. It's a professional competition and a private flirtation. Asuka's joke during Shinji's Unit 00 sync test embodies both sides, foreshadowing the later somewhat mean-spirited ribbing that will cause problems with Leliel while the slightly sexual color of it also opens up a more personal avenue. Later, immediately before the kiss, she makes use of an oddly similar taunt - the fact that Asuka's joking focuses on mommy issues is something of a running Freudian slip on her part, actually.

The point I'm making is that the action arc focuses largely around Asuka and Shinji's relationship - which is not to say that Rei isn't in there, but she usually serves to contrast to the two of them - swimming quietly in the background while Asuka jabbers on about her tits, for example.

Of course, none of this really works out that way in Rebuild, given that Asuka's thematic significance is entirely different - maybe I'll write a post on that later...
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Naminator
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Naminator » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:02 pm

Just wondering, does anyone think we will be getting another Asuka&Shinji in the same Eva plug moment again?

If I remember correctly, we saw a bunch of aircrafts trying to land on some boats in the 3.0 preview, and then we see Asuka standing on top with the wind blowing through her hair and all that. That just kinda feel like the first time we were introduced to her and it makes me wonder if they will have to deal with another Angel while they are on the ships.

I wouldn't mind if there would be a scene like that, as long as it brings them closer or something to that effect.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:26 pm

View Original PostNaminator wrote:Just wondering, does anyone think we will be getting another Asuka&Shinji in the same Eva plug moment again?
No. I find it rather hard to imagine a scene where they meet again, honestly. After their lack of interaction in 2.0, the most natural reaction upon meeting would be "Who are you? :/ "

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:38 pm

View Original PostNaminator wrote:Just wondering, does anyone think we will be getting another Asuka&Shinji in the same Eva plug moment again?

I'm still holding out hope for Asuka piloting Shinji, or for Asuka and Mari sharing a plug...but not really, no.

View Original PostNaminator wrote:If I remember correctly, we saw a bunch of aircrafts trying to land on some boats in the 3.0 preview,

Yes.

View Original PostNaminator wrote:and then we see Asuka standing on top with the wind blowing through her hair and all that.

No.

View Original PostNaminator wrote:That just kinda feel like the first time we were introduced to her and it makes me wonder if they will have to deal with another Angel while they are on the ships.

The list of Angels is getting pretty short. I wonder, though; is that cut of the ships taken directly from episode 08? If so, shit may be going down.

Naminator
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Naminator » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:08 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:I'm still holding out hope for Asuka piloting Shinji, or for Asuka and Mari sharing a plug...but not really, no.

ROFL, yea i'd like to see too xD

No.

Well I think I was wrong about the hair, but I'm fairly certain that it was pirate Asuka standing on a ship and on higher ground(the camera angle). And it reminds me a LOT of the first time we were introduced to Asuka in the original series.

The list of Angels is getting pretty short. I wonder, though; is that cut of the ships taken directly from episode 08? If so, shit may be going down.

Yea I actually looked at that myself and wondered WTH is going to happen. I hope he increases the number of Angels or maybe add some non angel enemies like that giant robot with the nuclear power core(or something) ohhh and of course te mass production Evas.

I certainly hope that the next two movies are going to be full length 100mins+ movies. I'll be feeling pretty bad if we get a 45min movie after two years lol.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”