ADV 4th of July sale...Platinum...

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

ADV 4th of July sale...Platinum...

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:07 pm

ADV has the Platinum Box + DVD 1 on sale for $16.

They also have Platinum DVD 1 on sale for $12.

Being the freak I am in, I bought another Platinum Box. I couldn't pass up the sale and I absolutely love the box design.

[url]http://www.advfilms.com/sales.asp[/url]

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:57 pm

God damnit! There goes $16 down the drain...

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:09 pm

I hate ADV. First they take almost 12 months longer to release in the UK, and now they're just rubbing it in with a sale in region 1. Why, why did the DVD cartel implement region locking?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:15 pm

If only I had $20. I'd like to eat this week.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:10 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I hate ADV. First they take almost 12 months longer to release in the UK, and now they're just rubbing it in with a sale in region 1. Why, why did the DVD cartel implement region locking?

Lets not forget that nasty NTSC / PAL nonsense.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:40 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I hate ADV. First they take almost 12 months longer to release in the UK, and now they're just rubbing it in with a sale in region 1. Why, why did the DVD cartel implement region locking?

Lets not forget that nasty NTSC / PAL nonsense.

Well, when the NTSC/PAL standards were developed in the early 1960s for color television, the idea of home recording hadn't really occured to many people yet -- so technological jingoism and the development of different standards made more sense as you can't really have one broadcast TV station servicing both the UK and US.

Still, with any decent DVD player, like my CyberHome CH-DVD 500 ([url]http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1160794&Sku=C166-1004&SRCCODE=GOOPROD&CMP=OTC-FROOGLE[/url]),

you should be able to do a PAL->NTSC conversion automatically anyway. I know I've used it to watch PAL discs. All DVDs use the same MPEG-2 compression standard, so it's just a matter of having a smart enough chipset to do the conversion on the output resolution. It's also ridiculously easy to unlock the region encoding on this particular model by pressing a sequence of about 5 buttons on the remote.

If you're in the UK, it's my understanding that region-free players are openly sold -- why not just buy one?

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:59 am

You are also forgetting that in order for you to actually get what you paid for from ADV, you have to send them at least two nasty e-mails asking why in the hell haven't they delivered your order yet. :?
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:54 pm

Considering it's my first time ordering directly from them I'll have to wait and see what experience I have with them. I guess I should expect the worst huh?

I've been spoiled by Amazon. Those guys have exceeded all my expectations.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:05 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Why, why did the DVD cartel implement region locking?

To promote consumer ingenuity.

Even Tesco sell region agnostic players for ~£30; a second DVD drive (takes about 5min to install) for a PC is about twice that; or use VLC as a player (not good for screencaps, but free), or blow the firmware of the drive (free, but...).

If you are using a TV based solution, any reasonably modern set will handle the NTSC signal.

The main challenge with Region 1 CDs is optimising the cost, given that orders above £18 attract VAT and handling charges from the Excisemen over and above.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:25 am

those.......bastards.

what do you think the chances are that they're going to do this for advfilms.co.uk ?

i could play the NTSC on my computer, but i'd prefer a PAL version cos i'm fussy like that.

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:52 am

NTSC/PAL doesn't even matter anymore. All my TV's play both just fine. I think this is because they are manufactured for worldwide distribution and instead of two models one is produced.

About the only reason for region coding anymore is to restrict the market and have us all wait 12 months for DVD releases.

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:44 pm

i've had a look on advfilms.us and apparently they only ship to canada and the usa. i was going to buy it but that had to happen.

anyone know of a way round it? i doubt there is, but i'm desperate.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:02 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:NTSC/PAL doesn't even matter anymore. All my TV's play both just fine. I think this is because they are manufactured for worldwide distribution and instead of two models one is produced.

About the only reason for region coding anymore is to restrict the market and have us all wait 12 months for DVD releases.

Clearly you're not in the US. Still, it will all be moot in about 24 months if the Congress-mandated transition to all-digital broadcasting actually comes through.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:59 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:NTSC/PAL doesn't even matter anymore. All my TV's play both just fine. I think this is because they are manufactured for worldwide distribution and instead of two models one is produced.

I wish this could be true!
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:03 am

ice reaper wrote:i've had a look on advfilms.us and apparently they only ship to canada and the usa. i was going to buy it but that had to happen.

anyone know of a way round it? i doubt there is, but i'm desperate.

Pay one of us boorish colonials a small fee to serve as a proxy. (Plus, of course, the shipping to both vis house and subsequently to yours comes out of YOUR wallet.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:17 am

the_seventh_child wrote:

I wish this could be true!

It is ture! A lot of new tellies can play both NTSC and PAL just fine. Albiet whith that horrible whining that comes off NTSC 60Hz. I hate that noise.

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:25 am

Pay one of us boorish colonials a small fee to serve as a proxy. (Plus, of course, the shipping to both vis house and subsequently to yours comes out of YOUR wallet.)

crap. i wish i'd of looked here yesterday to see that.....too late now isn't it? boorish colonials ^_^

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:40 am

ice reaper wrote:

crap. i wish i'd of looked here yesterday to see that.....too late now isn't it? boorish colonials ^_^

Don't worry Ice Reaper. I'll look out for any future sales and will post it. I might be able to help you out next time.
Alex D.

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:58 pm

thanks ^_^

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:37 pm

Hunter21 wrote:You are also forgetting that in order for you to actually get what you paid for from ADV, you have to send them at least two nasty e-mails asking why in the hell haven't they delivered your order yet. :?

I successfully received my order from ADV last Thursday! They actually beat the 4-6 week delivery time frame by 2 whole weeks. Maybe they have new management?

My confidence in ordering from them directly just went up.
Alex D.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”