Evangelion 3.0 Speculation [1]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:53 am

I think you misunderstand somewhat. It wouldn't be so much about Asuka blaming Shinji, but her coming to terms with having one less eye (presumably) and deciding whether it was worth helping another and sticking her neck out since all it seemed to do was get her hurt. Shinji is incidental in this sense to a wider apprehension. It's not so much the injury itself, but the immediate proximity it had with her opening up to others. Like a turtle poking it's head out of its shell for a quick peek at the outside world but it gets it's face kicked and it wonders if it should ever come out again. Her lashing out or being cold towards Shinji or whoever would merely be an accessory to this feeling.

But my current theory is that whatever drama Asuka has will be handled more effectively by either Misato or Mari. Misato would have some residual guilt in indirectly setting Asuka up for the angel incident. Mari would be another obvious sort of drama given the Unit 02 thing.

Also, it's kind of interesting, but it seems there's a cavalier approach to Asuka's Bardiel scene in the forums here. I don't know about you, but being contaminated mentally by an angel and almost ripped to shreds right after having a (if campy) heartfelt talk with someone about being with others would be pretty traumatic. It's one thing to be injured in battle, but quite another to be injured while trying to do something for someone else while giving something up in the process.

So in my mind, Asuka hopping off the slab with nothing more than a quick explanation and no mention of her lingering regrets about the event would be sidestepping the issue, and really unsatisfying.
Why do they even want the Loc-Nar? All it does is melt you.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:04 am

View Original PostBrainman wrote:But my current theory is that whatever drama Asuka has will be handled more effectively by either Misato or Mari. Misato would have some residual guilt in indirectly setting Asuka up for the angel incident. Mari would be another obvious sort of drama given the Unit 02 thing.

Both of those seem much more likely to me, yes.

Also, it's kind of interesting, but it seems there's a cavalier approach to Asuka's Bardiel scene in the forums here. I don't know about you, but being contaminated mentally by an angel and almost ripped to shreds right after having a (if campy) heartfelt talk with someone about being with others would be pretty traumatic. It's one thing to be injured in battle, but quite another to be injured while trying to do something for someone else while giving something up in the process.

I don't think anyone's being cavalier about it. I expect it would be quite traumatic, since this is the equivalent of Soryu's encounter with Arael. I just think the notion that she'll blame/unload on/fight with Shinji is non-sensical. Misato, yes. Mari, yes. Gendo, oh hell yes. But Shinji? :uhh: She's not as disdainful toward him as Soryu is, but even still her reaction to the notion that he actually tried to kill her would be something like "Seriously? Him? Try to kill someone? Gimme a break, he doesn't have the nerve." And without that basic misunderstanding there's literally no basis for the conflict.

(if it were Unit 00 that took her out I could see it; she'd think Rei was being a good little soldier, killing her because she was ordered to, etc. It's a tough sell with anyone else, though, which means she gets the explanation for the dummy system and promptly puts the blame where it belongs -- squarely in Gendo's lap.)

So in my mind, Asuka hopping off the slab with nothing more than a quick explanation and no mention of her lingering regrets about the event would be sidestepping the issue, and really unsatisfying.

Is anyone actually advocating that?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:11 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I just think the notion that she'll blame/unload on/fight with Shinji is non-sensical. Misato, yes. Mari, yes. Gendo, oh hell yes. But Shinji? :uhh: She's not as disdainful toward him as Soryu is, but even still her reaction to the notion that he actually tried to kill her would be something like "Seriously? Him? Try to kill someone? Gimme a break, he doesn't have the nerve." And without that basic misunderstanding there's literally no basis for the conflict.

It wouldn't be so much about believing if Shinji could hurt her. The inner beef there would be the notion of "He saved wondergirl, but no one saved me." And like I said, it probably wont be Shinji she has this conflict with. It'll probably be either Misato or Mari.
Why do they even want the Loc-Nar? All it does is melt you.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”