Why is Shinji so universally hated?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Another Asuka
Adam

Why is Shinji so universally hated?

Postby Another Asuka » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:45 pm

It seems that Shinji is the least popular protagonist in any anime,let alone the NGE. There are plenty of sites dedicated to Asuka,Rei and even the lesser cast but only one Shinji site. Personally, I find Shinji,bar Asuka perhaps, to be the most interesting protagonist in any anime.He is such a complex character. So, why is he so unpopular?

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Oedipusfoot » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:51 pm

Probably because both men and women find him unattractive and boring? People think he is a wimp because he is concerned with the ethics of NERV. It is also probable that he is hated because people think Shinji pilots only to gain approval from his father. You know, the usual things.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:57 pm

There was already a thread about this sort of thing...

But since it's locked, feel free to carry on in this one.

Anyway, I'd say that Spike Spencer's take on Shinji is part of the reason people hated him. With Ogata's take on Shinji, you sympathize for him. Spencer's take on the other hand makes you annoyed at this boy who does nothing but whine.

Besides that reason, people don't like Shinji because he reflects the negative traits in all of us. Nobody wants to think of how screwed up they are, so they take to thinking Shinji's just a pussy who can't man up without realizing he's only a 14 year old boy who's put in an extremely difficult situation who's nothing but a tool for Nerv.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Another Asuka
Adam

Postby Another Asuka » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:57 pm

Oedipusfoot wrote: People think he is a wimp because he is concerned with the ethics of NERV. It is also probable that he is hated because people think Shinji pilots only to gain approval from his father. You know, the usual things.

Yes but are these not some of the things that make him so interesting?
Also one has to ask why is he like that. Surely if Shinji was replaced by an extroverted, alpha male with a one dimensional personality NGE would be a less deep show?

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Besides that reason, people don't like Shinji because he reflects the negative traits in all of us. Nobody wants to think of how screwed up they are, so they take to thinking Shinji's just a pussy who can't man up without realizing he's only a 14 year old boy who's put in an extremely difficult situation who's nothing but a tool for Nerv.

That's true. Everybody has traits of the personalities of Shinji and Asuka but a moderate dose of Asukas traits is a good thing. While even a moderate dose of Shinjis traits is negative. It's the same with Personality disorders. A moderate amount of narcissism is healthy and even a small amount of Avoidant PD can be healthy.

Please use the edit button if you're the last poster in a thread.

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

Postby VoidEater » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:05 pm

Western culture prizes initiative, dynamic action and a lack of introspection in its heroes. The process of growth is considered boring in a milieu of child-adults and the denigration of naivete. "Heroes" that don't fit this role have to be defined as "anti-heroes."

Dismissal of individuals who are "wimps", men that are "fem", women that are dynamic ("bitches" - some slight changes in that area of late) - obviously Shinji doesn't stand a chance.

Males must be cocksure and completely "masculine" - art cannot stand on its own to be interpreted, it has to be explicitly defined in (usually sexually) stereoptyped terms.

I'm not so sure this is true in all cultures - but is clear in English-language areas.

Another Asuka wrote:While even a moderate dose of Shinjis traits is negative.

Srsly? Wouldn't you want someone just a teensy bit cautious and self-questioning if they, say, have a Nation's military force (or an Eva) at their disposal?
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

Another Asuka
Adam

Postby Another Asuka » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:17 pm

I was referring to how people tend to perceives shinji-esque personalities IRL.
Last edited by Another Asuka on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Why is Shinji so universally hated?

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:18 pm

Another Asuka wrote:So, why is he so unpopular?

Because he's a quitter. At least, in EoE, he is.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:20 pm

But can he really be BLAMED for being a quitter after going through the traumatic experience of killing his (best??) friend? I mean come on, if somebody's depressed as well as has feelings of suicide (as the start of EoE shows with Shinji at the lake), said feelings are only going to get worse after something so horrible as witnessing a death and feeling you're completely alone.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Another Asuka
Adam

Postby Another Asuka » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:23 pm

@ Mr.Tines Because he's a quitter. At least, in EoE, he is.

True but look at what he has been through. Abandoned by his Father, betrayed by the one person who told him he loved him(Kaworu), forced to kill his best friend by the bastard that is he's Father and then he is expected to pilot a giant robot,which causes him physical pain, to save an emotionally unstable girl (who can't even make her mind if she likes him or not) and a race of people who have left him down so many times. Add this to the fact that he is only 14. I think he did enough by not killing himself.Sometimes it's o.k. to quit.
Last edited by Another Asuka on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:24 pm

Another Asuka wrote:I think he did enough by not killing himself.

Hideaki Anno wrote:A cowardly young man who feels that his father has abandoned him, and so he has convinced himself that he is a completely unnecessary person, so much so that he cannot even commit suicide.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:27 pm

I blame the dub a bit, Megumi Ogata's Shinji comes off as confused, Spike Spencer's Shinji comes off as whiny.

Or at least, that's my assessment.

Another Asuka
Adam

Postby Another Asuka » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Yes but that's Anno's judgement on the character he created. It does not necessarily mean it is the fairest judgement.
Last edited by Another Asuka on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Anyway, I'd say that Spike Spencer's take on Shinji is part of the reason people hated him. With Ogata's take on Shinji, you sympathize for him. Spencer's take on the other hand makes you annoyed at this boy who does nothing but whine.

Actually that is your opinion. Although I do like both the English and Japanese dub of Evangelion I do prefer Spencer's Shinji(and the english in general) over Ogata's Shinji. Shinji's jap voice was just annoying to me.

Now I think the reason most people really hate Shinji was because the way he was in the middle and toward the end of the series including End of Evangelion.

Although it's mostly because he is misunderstood to most people and fail to understand. Now I don't hate Shinji.

Shinji was on him own since his father abandoned him. Because he was so alone he did not know how to interact with other people. Also when anyone showed any real kindness he'll open up.

When he became friends with Toji and Kensuke he opened up more. Also showing affection for Ayanami and later Asuka.

Also he would hate to see things happen to his friends or other humans. Which was why he refused to fight unit-04 when it was possessed by an angel because he noticed an entry plug. Later noticing it was Toji really shook him up. Also the events after Asuka's mind rape that left her in a comatose state.

And toward the end of the series when Tokyo-3 was left in a horrible state and Toji, Kensuke, and most or all the students in his class had moved out of Tokyo-3, Asuka in a comatose state, and being scared of Rei now he felt really lonely.

When Kaworu showed up and showed kindness to Shinji when he felt the worst really cheered him up and caused him to have feelings for Kaworu. Although not the gay kind of feelings only a sick yaoi fan girl would come up with. More of a brotherly affection but most of the fans did not see and just saw it as "Shinji being gay for Kaworu" and he lost a lot of respect from fans but gained respect(if not more) from sick yaoi crazed fan girls.

Although if anyone showed up when Kaworu did Shinji would have shown the same affection for.

Now in EoE Shinji is really depressed after having t o Kill Kaworu by his own hand. He was also having to confront himself which can be seen in the beginning of episode 25 of the TV series. So he goes to Asuka because he feels she is the only one that can "help" him because he is scared of facing Misato and Rei. With Asuka not being reponsive it only leads himself wanting to die. Which causes the Evangelion fan base to be disgusted with him. It also does not help seeing Asuka's Evangelion being torn to shreds because he realizes he could have helped her.

With Shinji being so "Emo" which let to third impact almost the entire planet's population to be killed off(but as explained by Yui they can come back to life as long as they feel it in there heart) and it could have been avoided if he had a tad more self confidence and if Asuka would have came to the realization of the A.T. field sooner.

Also being a teenager, going through puberty, and having the pressure of protecting the human race can't be a great feeling either.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

Postby Holy Diver » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:49 pm

I think that he was created for the sole purpose of being hated. Anno created the most unappealing character and put him into a male's paradise. He lives with two hot women, gets to pilot an advanced piece of military equipment, and saves the Earth on a regular basis. And despite all of this, Shinji is still a miserable bastard. We hate him because he does not deserve all that he has been given.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Another Asuka
Adam

Postby Another Asuka » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:58 pm

No, Anno based Shinji on himself(lossely of course) and used the series as a form of catharsis to overcome his depression.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:05 pm

Holy Diver wrote:I think that he was created for the sole purpose of being hated. Anno created the most unappealing character and put him into a male's paradise. He lives with two hot women, gets to pilot an advanced piece of military equipment, and saves the Earth on a regular basis. And despite all of this, Shinji is still a miserable bastard. We hate him because he does not deserve all that he has been given.

That's a little extreme dontcha think?
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:07 pm

he hates himself for all that he goes through. and just like in the show itself, Shinji needs to learn to love himself before he can be loved by others, even by most of us in the real world. I have accepted Shinji as he is, and i understand why he acts as he does. I have also come to realize that of any character i've heard of, i relate most of all to Shinji and i have accepted that as well. He is a very real character. Some people dont like him because as the protagonist the norm is for him to be inspiring or an example of what we should be. Instead he is an example of what many of us are, scared and unable to truly choose what we do in our lives, as we are controlled by o so many factors.

In the end people have to realize that Shinji isnt meant to be pitied, he is simply a statement. This is what we are, powerless. Shinji learns to love himself in EoTV and becomes happy, and everyone congratulates him and becomes happy for him as well. The statement here is that alone, we are all powerless, its only when we are together that we can all be happy. Untill then, people will judge him by the notions of the current world where the weak aren't helped or pitied but merely ignored or despised by most.

/end rant

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:10 pm

I qualified my earlier remark about Shinji in EoE, because in the TV series, he's just a harmless well-meaning nebbish who generally muddles though to doing the right thing.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:03 pm

Shinji isn't "universally hated". Shinji dissension is often quite vocal (the "haters" usually are), but at the same time plenty of fans have found a sort of "kindred spirit" in him, and his story is one they can relate to. You can get caught up in his deficiencies as a person and all, but IMO that's kind of missing the point.

To use Mr. Tines' favorite target here: I personally find much about the Shinji in EoE poignant rather than annoying, or what have you. The ineffectual "rag doll" of episode 25', for example, rather effectively captures some of depression's darkest extremes. Perhaps other chronic sufferers know the feeling I'm talking about -- where you just want to curl up and disappear, and you're so smothered numb with misery it wouldn't make any difference to you what happened to you or anything else. It's a dark and crippling feeling. EoE isn't really compromising about its depiction of depression; it's human unpleasantness burnt into film with raw honesty. If some find Anno's messenger "ineffective" -- a shame, I suppose. Maybe it's one of those "you need to have been there to 'get it'" deals.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:07 pm

I like him, people just call him "Emo" which is dumb cause NGE came out before "Emo" was really around..
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”