Pattern blue, "new" dvd set confirmed.

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
JP
Adam

Pattern blue, "new" dvd set confirmed.

•      
  •      

Postby JP » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:10 pm

Because buying it once (twice....three times?) is never enough, Gainax is ready to please with the Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Holiday Edition.

Due in a little over a month, from what I've seen it's going to be 7 discs running at 750 min. Which is faskinating considering past sets were 6 running at 650 min. Perhaps this one includes End? Yeah I doubt it. Would be nice. Just seems utterly completely bizarre to release this when the platinum "perfect" set came out around the same time last year. Wonder whats the hubbub. Any word on if we should be excited?

http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_item.asp?partner_id=10007594&item_id=1429321

http://www.animecastle.com/p-121731-neon-genesis-evangelion-dvd-complete-collection-holiday-ed.aspx

:money:
The pregnancy is now absolute.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:34 pm

.....we need to check into this; what makes it the "holiday" edition?

Did they fix up the few fuzzy frames that Mangle Entertainment messed up for End of Eva?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:10 pm

ADV's website doesn't mention this, they only have the regular Platinum on their site.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:15 pm

OH COME ON, I can't believe they're releasing the series in HD before they release Rebuild. I suppose GAINAX is more eager to take advantage of the new format than Khara.

EDIT: Oh, wait a minute... This isn't even Blu-Ray, it's just ANOTHER DVD SET?! Bwaaaahh.22lkh34q23ioh/aw?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:30 am

This comes out a day before my birthday...
Hmmmm

I speculate that it is 750 minutes due to inclusion of the Director's Cuts.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Zaiku
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaiku » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:35 am

Evangelion is a cow, and Gainax is a farmer, I believe I have said enough.
For the love of everything... Watch this video: Give it 5 stars and leave a comment. Even, subscribe... Maybe? Well, I'd appreciate it. >_>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiBcbfvcE6c
"I did it for the lulz." ~Me: on everything

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:51 am

Farmer Greenfield still trying to get sum milk of that dry cow? Hasn't his lardass, with Ledford too, been tumbling down, tumbling down....

I mean, this is an ADV release, not Gainax.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:10 am

Perhaps they're retooling that 10th Anniversary edition from several years ago that everyone groaned over so much that they canceled. I think we should groan a lot and see if the past repeats itself.

We really don't need another release of the series, we need Manga Entertainment to get up off their butts and put out a decent DVD of the End of Evangelion.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:10 am

Wait, how is the 10th anniversary edition different from "the Platinum Edition"?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:29 am

The packaging.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:40 am

Anime Castle has tons of bootlegs, so I don't trust that.

Luckily Anime News Network mentions it: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/compare-prices/12530/stores.ajax

Seriously though, ADV's as bad as Gainax. :rolleyes:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

HENRCAST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HENRCAST » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:50 am

Another DVD Box-set? OMG!
And it's not even Blu-ray/HD? OMGWTF?!

I wonder why they keep repacking Eva..... I mean, why are they doing this instead of working to release Rebiuld in america?

But 750 min? I wonder what kind of extras the put in there....

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:08 pm

I wonder if they'll stop trying eventually with the titles and come out with the 'Give us More money' edition eventually. And they do this why?

Because people will buy it. People who fansubbed the original series. People who bought the VHS with all the jittery stuff. People who bought the original DvD. People who bought the Directo's cut DvD's... people who then bought the Platinum edition. Just for that 30 seconds more footage, for that one shot of Rei's panties.... for the shiny box. For the sake of having it.

I just don't get howe people could do that.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:28 pm

Maybe the extras are from that never released 10th Anniversary edition thing?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:41 pm

HENRCAST wrote:I wonder why they keep repacking Eva.....

ADV is bankrupt and nobody will bail em out.

But 750 min? I wonder what kind of extras the put in there....

Greenfield spewing crap ^2?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:59 pm

we need to follow this more closely as news becomes available

I feel that rumors of ADV's death are greatly exaggerated; there were those who said it would collapse by Otakon yet this was not the case

yes, the failed Sojtiz partnership crippled them, but they're trying to move on

yes, they have fallen from largest anime distributor to a distant 3rd place behind FUNimation and Viz

that said the entire industry is having problems; I think this is just a really rough patch

If only they could say, sell Sgt. Frog to Cartoon Network or something, they'd get back on track (I love that show, its like an anime version of Invader Zim)

but I digress: the bigger problem is the current financial meltdown; anime industries were already falling apart on their own; will other companies fall apart now too?

I seriously think ADV hasn't been buying many new titles, because they're pooling what money they DO have to try and get the license for Rebuild of Eva.

But this is all theory
Who is "Codename V"?....

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:04 pm

V wrote:, because they're pooling what money they DO have to try and get the license for Rebuild of Eva.

I was originally going to say ina moment of hilarity that buy the time that gets released nobody will buy it, because they'll have watched the whole lot on fansub... repeatedly. But the fact is, fans will still pay for this stuff regardless.

Hmmm..... the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if Gainax is trying to kill ADV? By making them wait for, and charging them an exorbitant license feee for something that wont sell in the end.

But it will sell. And it will sell greatly

Because we will still buy it. And the directors cut version. And the remade version. And maybe all three.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Super Chris
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Chris » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:00 am

I have a feeling that the 'ADV needs money bad' explanation may be the correct one.

So will this contain the 'Kaworu Died for your Sins' bumper sticker that was supposed to be in the 10th anniversary edition? I really wanted that. (Although I'd probably eBay it rather than buy another box set.)

Meh I'm done buying Eva (the animated version; still gonna buy vol. 11 of the manga in november >_>) until either A: Rebuild gets a US release, or B: Manga finally releases Revival. I'm betting on A happening first.

I must say, for the people asking 'Why not blu-ray?' - exactly what would blu-ray accomplish, besides getting the whole series down onto one disc? Since it's animated, and was animated before there was any hi-def tv, I can't imagine the picture quality ever getting any better than the Renewal release.
(Granted, Rebuild is another story, and I say that once the license is announced, we should inundate that company with mail containing "OMG blu-ray!!!")
This is a signature. A better one will come sometime later.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:18 pm

Super Chris wrote:Since it's animated, and was animated before there was any hi-def tv, I can't imagine the picture quality ever getting any better than the Renewal release.

Renewal's master was done in HD. You'll be able to see the film grain better when/if a Blu-Ray version is released.

Also, keep in mind, has there been a Blu-Ray release in Japan? We're not gonna get one until a while after they get one.

Mangle will probably release the Renewal versions of the Movies some time after Rebuild is announced, but before it is released.

This "Holiday set" thing though. Maybe the cover will be Rei and Asuka in santa suits or something?
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:50 pm

Super Chris wrote:I have a feeling that the 'ADV needs money bad' explanation may be the correct one.

I know that a significant part of the rebuild of ADV, if you will, is getting their existing licenses out there and in stock again. A number of things have gone out of print, and retailers are always more interested in stocking "new" editions, even of old products.

I mean, Nadia has been out of print for a couple of years now, they must be losing money on that title's lack of availability alone.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”