Chamber of Guf, Souls, Blah Blah Blah

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Chamber of Guf, Souls, Blah Blah Blah

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:37 pm

Starting a new thread off "Asuka's Fate", because we know the Monkey hates off-topic-ness.

Shin-seiki wrote:While I am willing to concede that your ideas concerning libido/destrudo have some significant role in what we see going on in 3I, I still think that you're going a little overboard in minimizing the (to my mind paramount) role of the Anti-ATF:

Well, come on, I can't keep EVERY important line from the show present in my head all the time. ;)

Perhaps destrudo & libido are intimately tied to ATFs -- it's just adding a fourth component to the whole soul/ATF/body mess. So, the resemblance of those two graphs I posted on the other forum could very well be intentional after all. Eh? Eh? One of Anno's random subtle hints about yet another unimportant matter only geeks care about.

I still have no idea what the deal with the Gauf crap is. Ritsuko's speech in #23 still largely makes no sense to me -- bits and pieces of it do, but the fact that she sandwiches that stuff about 2I, Adam, and Evas in between a rant about the dummy system seems like a complete non sequitor. Why the hell does she jump from one subject to the other and then right back? She says that all of the Evas' souls are 'salvaged' (which in NGE seems to refer to at least two different things) and then says something about Rei being the only vessel that holds a soul. Uhhh... The Evas can obviously hold souls; isn't that what you just said? What the hell is she talking about? That Rei holds the souls that were salvaged into the Evas? :rolleyes:

But back on topic, how does Gauf's Room figure into what Ritsuko is saying (whatever the hell that is)?

If you want to say that the Black Moon = Gauf's Room as the source of (and, via a successful Instrumentality, the final destination of) the souls of the Lilim, then I suppose the White Moon would be a Gauf's Room in its own right. Since before 2I they speak of the doors to the Room opening -- well, I suppose this, in its own vague way, lends credence to the idea that the Angels originated when Adam 'woke up' and went ballistic. (Speaking of which, I'm starting to forget the argument pro and con "Angels Were Born At 2I"... SOMEthing must have convinced me to abandon the idea at one point.)

Just to go off the deep end here, perhaps "Gauf's Room was empty" refers to all of the souls that were originally packaged inside the Black Moon and made available to Lilim (I'm using the term to refer to all carbon-based life -- all Lilith spawn, after all) being somehow 'used up'. Rei and the Evas, being artificial constructs, are created out of the natural order of things and could not get souls normally -- they had to get them from preexisting entities. If the Room is empty, then, how do naturally born creatures get souls? I'm guessing we probably don't want to go there, although I have some strange ideas on the matter...

Also, what is going on with the souls in 3I? Are they channeled through GNR into the Black Moon or something? (Because the Moon is apparently their final destination...) If this is so, it doesn't seem to make much sense that, when GNR starts disintegrating, we can see red dots spouting out of her body (her neck, I believe), as if some souls never quite made it to the Moon.
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

MDWigs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:35 pm

Sorry to only comment on part of this. As is usual of late I am breezing through Eva forums and haven't the time to sit down and focus properly. I am flying to Paris tomorrow to meet up with and see my family for the first time since coming to the UK, for the first time in almost a year! Then a couple of days after that I am taking my brothers to Amsterdam (^_^), then the week before Christmas in London, Christmas itself with my cousin in Milton Keynes, New Years with my other cousin in Liverpool, then back down to Nottingham in the beginning of January to finish exams! Once I get my exams finish I am officially kicked out of University once and for all, so I'll have two full months to do nothing except participate in Eva discussions... well that and try and get a job here before my visa expires ^_^

So with further ado!

The new theory goes it's not an AATF that makes people go splat -- it's the release of the destrudo (self-destructive impulse).

I am only really pointing out a small thing here that I'm sure you have already thought of and may have even mentioned already somewhere before.

From Episode 23:

Nice happy Rei's - See Picture

Destrudo Released - See Picture

Here destrudo is shown in direct connection to the Rei clones breaking apart. Of course they have always been a grey area, not possessing souls themselves, thus no AT Field, thus not afraid of the big bad AATF. However I think you've raised a very interesting point.

I remember discussing issues surrounding this with you in the big long past thread on AB (here) more than a year ago now. I did finally get around to replying to you there, even though it did take more than a month :P

Anyway I'm sorry I can't write more. It's 2.30 am here already, I am still trying to finish coursework before I go away, and I haven't started packing yet.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen- year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time." --Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:17 pm

Well, Wigs, whenever you have free time (assuming that is even a remote possibility ;) ), you know the Commentary will be waiting. With your name written all over it.

Regarding the Rei-tachi in the tank, AchtungAffen actually opened up that barrel of monkeys back here. It's only more recently, though, that I started trying to figure destrudo and libido into the whole ATF business. Things started up again here, and here we revisited destrudo and Rei, and here I put forth my latest destrudo/libido thing. Just in case anyone wants to read them...

Here destrudo is shown in direct connection to the Rei clones breaking apart. Of course they have always been a grey area, not possessing souls themselves, thus no AT Field, thus not afraid of the big bad AATF. However I think you've raised a very interesting point.

The point of contention with them has been, I think, "if they don't have souls, thus no ATFs, what has been holding them together"? All sorts of ideas have been put forth for this: Being submerged in LCL, mysterious technology, a boon of being made of "Angel Stuff" instead of ordinary matter... I still like to consider the possibility that maybe human bodies CAN exist without having souls in them (keeping "Angel Matter" out of the equation at the moment), as this provides the simplest explanation for Kyoko and the Rei Clones.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:58 pm

MDWigs wrote:See Picture

Someone once asked me how many Rei clones there are. Now I know the answer....

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:11 am

...and your life is that much better for it. Congratulations.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:47 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Someone once asked me how many Rei clones there are. Now I know the answer....

There are helluva more than eleven by the time Renewal was done with that scene.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Room of Gauf, Souls, Blah Blah Blah

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:55 am

Reichu wrote:I still have no idea what the deal with the Gauf crap is.

Indeed, does anyone even know whether this is some reference to any pre-existing mysticism? When I heard it first, the "Chamber of Gath/Guaf/Gaf/?Qaf?" struck me as something that might have been hauled out of some qabbalistic tradition, but I've not been able to track down any non-Eva source for this.

P.S. My own interpretation of the "Chamber of Guaf" from the rant in #23 was as that part of the human being wherein the soul resides - the Rei-clones were soulless because in each one the Chamber was uninhabited. But of course I might be miles off.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:17 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Someone once asked me how many Rei clones there are. Now I know the answer....

Well maybe the PDA that Ritsuko was holding has a small scroll bar, because in this picture i see more than 30 Reis:

Well, to keep on topic this thread, i will repeat my previous post on the other offtopic thread:

I thinki the room of gauf is lilith herself.

Ritsuko, in ep. 23 wrote:Only she has a soul.
None of the other vessels have a soul.
There was nothing within the room of Guaf.

Maybe Ritsuko said that because lilith had only her own soul, only one soul, and that was used for Rei.
When 3I happens, fuyutsuky says that the chamber of gauf is open, and then we can see all the souls entering inside giant Rei/Lilith.
*insert cool signature here*

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:57 am

Nephilim wrote:Maybe Ritsuko said that because lilith had only her own soul, only one soul, and that was used for Rei.
When 3I happens, fuyutsuky says that the chamber of gauf is open, and then we can see all the souls entering inside giant Rei/Lilith.

Then why did the Katsuragi Team mention the Room of Gauf? Lilith was far, far away. (BTW, did anyone read my first post?)

And Mr. Tines, I'm guessing you missed this thread.

(BTW, Neph, that's a nice composite image. Care to e-mail me a bigger version? :D )
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:07 pm

Reichu wrote:And Mr. Tines, I'm guessing you missed this thread

Thanks for that.

I'd skipped that one as the first reference I'd had to it was one suggesting that the conclusions reached about souls or parts thereof had been discredited. And Google only turns up Eva related pages when asked.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:06 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:I'd skipped that one as the first reference I'd had to it was one suggesting that the conclusions reached about souls or parts thereof had been discredited. And Google only turns up Eva related pages when asked.

Well, just because most of us don't think the ideas presented on that site should be applied directly to soul dynamics in NGE doesn't mean it's not a valid non-NGE reference to Gauf's Room. That's sort of like saying the Haggadah isn't a valid reference for NGE fans to make to the legend of Lilith because the Lilith in that is completely different from the Lilith in NGE.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:06 pm

I like it how none of the things I talked about in my initial post were really touched upon. Daijoubu - we do it all the time!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:10 pm

Reichu wrote:But back on topic, how does Gauf's Room figure into what Ritsuko is saying (whatever the hell that is)?

......I like it how none of the things I talked about in my initial post were really touched upon. Daijoubu - we do it all the time!.........

I somehow let this thread get past me until Shin-Seiki pointed it out this evening. I think I can answer the question of why Ritsuko drags in the Chamber of Gauf at this point. (Actually, I was sort of supprised when Scott mentioned that no one understood what she was getting at; I got the point from the beginning, and didn't realiize that other people hadn't figured it out.)

Yes, that's a human.
Eva, which did not have a soul ab initio,
now that has a human soul.
All of these are salvaged.
However the vessel which truly contains a soul is Rei.
Only she has a soul.
None of the other vessels have a soul.
There was nothing within the room of Gaff.
These Rei-like things here do not have a soul.
Nothing but vessels.
So I will destroy them, because I hate them.

It's a little hard to follow because she's sort of raving at this point, but I'm sure she's saying that they originally planned to use fresh, unborn souls from the Room of Gauf in the Evas and perhaps in the Reis as well, but could not do so because they found the cupboard was bare. Thus they were forced to use salvaged souls instead. (Remember that the Room of Gauf/Gaf/Guf is, in Kabbalistic belief, the place where all the souls that have yet to be born wait around for bodies into which to be born.)
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:20 am

I don't think this answers the question of why Ritsuko says Rei is "the only vessel that has a soul". Come again?

Also, if "the cupboard was bare", one has to wonder where the souls for the lifeforms coming into the world every day come from...

Additionally, there is the whole problem of why this Gauf crap is mentioned right before 2I.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:50 pm

Reichu wrote:1. I don't think this answers the question of why Ritsuko says Rei is "the only vessel that has a soul". Come again?

2. Also, if "the cupboard was bare", one has to wonder where the souls for the lifeforms coming into the world every day come from...

3. Additionally, there is the whole problem of why this Gauf crap is mentioned right before 2I.
(Numbers added by thewayneiac)

1. Could she mean that only whichever Rei is the current Rei at any one time has been given a salvaged soul, and the others are just empty vessels?

2. Perhaps they are being born soulless. (Support for your contention that not having an AT field doesn't automatically make you go splat.) Also, the Room of Guf running out of souls is supposed to be a sign of The Endtime, another clue that 3I is inevitable.

3. You were almost certainly right in the first post on this thread: Adam has his own Guf. Perhaps they opened it in an attempt to snag a soul for Kaworu.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:28 am

thewayneiac wrote:1. Could she mean that only whichever Rei is the current Rei at any one time has been given a salvaged soul, and the others are just empty vessels?

That possibility does pop into my head again, and again, and again. But if true, things get uber-confusing by virtue of the fact that Ritsuko seems to be making one non-sequitor upon another. I still fail to see why she starts talking about Adam and Evas in the first place, and then makes an abrupt switcheroo back to the subject of the Rei in the tank. There is also the supposed relationship between the narrative and the 'mysterious images' to consider. Initially, the relationship is extremely straightforward, but eventually it goes completely off the deep end...

2. Perhaps they are being born soulless. (Support for your contention that not having an AT field doesn't automatically make you go splat.)

The idea that every living creature born starting in 2004 (at the very least) is somehow soulless sounds kind of fishy to me... Aside from one line in a very... confusing... dialogue, is there any real substance to this? Assuming that it is true in the NGE universe that a body does not need a soul to exist (and, with regards to this issue, I'm currently not really convinced of ANY argument, including my own :P ), there would seem to be some evidence that being soulless means you are insane. About the most we hear that seems to have any connection at all to the issue is that birth rates are depressingly low, not that all children eleven and under have to be confined to mental wards.

But hey... who knows. Maybe Ritsuko's cat was a soulless nutjob and intentionally got herself hit by a car.

Also, the Room of Guf running out of souls is supposed to be a sign of The Endtime, another clue that 3I is inevitable.

One has to wonder why they don't just recycle.

3. You were almost certainly right in the first post on this thread: Adam has his own Guf. Perhaps they opened it in an attempt to snag a soul for Kaworu.

I thought the more interesting possibility is that Shin-seiki was right about the Spear essentially serving as a prophylactic and keeping Adam from propagating; and, once she was awakened, the Gauf opened up to provide for the fifteen children that resulted. Something to mull over, anyway.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:07 am

:lol: C'mon guys. Guph is a hollow or empty body, a shell - commonly used in the Qabbalah to signify the human physical body, whether alive or dead.

Guph= living body and Gupha= dead body (later language here?)

Crowley managed to relate this to one of the charkas so anything is possible :P

The Guph decays and the Neshamah (?) is what returns to the Treasury of Souls if I remember correctly.

I really wouldn't blame Gainax for screwing up around this area.

Am I the first guy to spell this right within these forums BTW?
Last edited by Zuggy on Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:46 pm

Waitwait.

I dont get what we are asking here. Are we asking what the chamber of Gauf IS? or where it is represented in evangelion?

*sorry* :oops:

superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby superdoughboy4 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:03 pm

'Guph' was spelled Gauf in the translated subscripts.

But, the Room of 'Guph' or Gauf, was the room of Ayanami's multiple bodies I think.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:18 pm

superdoughboy4 wrote:'Guph' was spelled Gauf in the translated subscripts.

The reason I’m bringing up the correct spelling of this is for the following reason:

If you search under ‘Gauf’ or Guf’ or even ‘Gaff’ you will return less/inaccurate results.

Begin search for 'Guph'

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”