Why was the Lance in Antarctica?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
aranami
Adam

Why was the Lance in Antarctica?

•      
  •      

Postby aranami » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:13 pm

Why was the lance in Antarctica???
Did the Katsuragi expidition take it down with them and do somthing simalar to what NERV did to Lilith?
"Immortality! Take it! It's yours!"

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:47 pm

Popular speculation claims the lance was actually Adam's S2 organ.

The lance was later on recovered in episode 12, and inserted into Lilith.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:11 pm

I don't think that it's adam's s2 organ. Because adam was found with the lance shoved in his chest the same way that nerv then inserted the lance in lilith.
I really think about the E2 game axplination. That some ancient civilization created the lance to keep adam sleeped, so humanity could be the rulers of the earth and not the angels.
*insert cool signature here*

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:26 pm

The "Lance = Adam's S^2" theory, which was concocted largely by Sharp-kun over on AN, has been demolished by the "secret" info provided in the new EVA2 game. (Sharp himself immediately conceded as much once the EVA2 revelations were publicized.) The Lance of Longinus was discovered in Antartica within the the White Moon; Adam was impaled upon it, with the tines protruding from his back. (As for how it got there, or who put it there, your guess is as good as mine...) Prior to Second Impact, the Katsuragi Expedition extracted the Lance, and sent it to the Dead Sea, for what purpose is not stated, tho it is possible that somehow it was modified, and then it was returned to Antartica, whereupon Adam was poked with it during the "Contact Experiment" that ended up triggering 2I.

The EVA2 game states, among other things, that the Lance serves as a "fail-safe" device, to in some way allow for the process of Complemetation of Life to be controled, which may explain how Shinji, once EVA-01 merges with the Lance, is given "God-like" control over the fate of humanity in #26'...
Last edited by Shin-seiki on Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:40 pm

Apparently I'm a little rusty on my knowledge, haven't seen Eva in at least half a year.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:15 am

Shin-seiki wrote:As for how it got there, or who put it there, your guess is as good as mine...

Well, duh, Adam brought it upon herself after her Calvin Klein model career met a disastrous end! "I had two sets of ribs removed, all for nothing! Good-bye, cruel world!"
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Frenchman
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Frenchman » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:38 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Theory has been demolished by the "secret" info provided in the new EVA2 game.

I am wondering if we hold a real proof that informations revealed in EVA2 Game have been given by Hideaki Anno himself. I said "Hideaki Anno", not "Gainax".

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:40 am

The Frenchman wrote:I am wondering if we hold a real proof that informations revealed in EVA2 Game have been given by Hideaki Anno himself. I said "Hideaki Anno", not "Gainax".

Anno worked on the game... yes.

Besides, all of the revealed "secrets" fit in with what we already know.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Frenchman
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Frenchman » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:55 am

Reichu wrote:Anno worked on the game... yes.

Thank you but where is the proof ? :P
Does it exist ?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:19 am

The Frenchman wrote:Thank you but where is the proof ? :P
Does it exist ?

That Anno worked on the game?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Frenchman
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Frenchman » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:36 pm

Reichu wrote:That Anno worked on the game ?

Yes.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:26 pm

It was common knowledge, as far as I knew. But since you're being so fastidious, I believe there is something about it in one of the issues of Newtype back at home...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Tsukasa
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tsukasa » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:51 pm

I am wondering if we hold a real proof that informations revealed in EVA2 Game have been given by Hideaki Anno himself. I said "Hideaki Anno", not "Gainax".

Don't worry, Frenchman, you're not the only one who has their doubts about those 'secrets' revealed in that game. Anno may have been involved in parts of the game, but maybe not in the secrets part at all. Maybe it is a big cover up to make us think that Anno gave us info, when in fact, some of the info given is false and is making us go off in the opposing direction to the real things we already knew!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!

Nah, just kidding. Who knows if the info is from Anno himself or just Gainax. Unless if Anno comes out and says that he in fact did reveal those secrets, there is always room for doubt. I've always thought that Adam and Lilith were, in the beginning, one and seperated (*the gory details go here*) and when I read that Adam and Lilith were always seperate, according to that game, it smelled fishy to me. It didn't make sense in terms of what events took place during 3rd Impact when Adam and Lilith joined. If they had to join in order to start 3rd Impact (since they each had a half they each needed), wouldn't it make sense that they seperated in the 1st Impact?

I have read that Lilith was Adam's first wife (from some Bible, not sure which one this story comes from...I read this theory from a website) and he cheated on her or something and she left him and came to earth from a higher place, physically seperating herself from him and I think Adam followed her (I can't recall the exact story, but it is something like this). If you relate this to Eva, it makes perfect sense to assume that the same thing happened to Eva's Adam and Lilith since much of the show is based on different religious things.

I personally don't think that Anno (if he had a hand in the secrets at all) would tell us everything we are dying to know.

P.S. I realize this is WAY off the topic of the Lance and Antarctica, but I couldn't resist. Gomen nasai! :wink:
Romans 3:23

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:10 pm

For my part, I always thought the "Adam and Lilith as one entity" theory was kind of fishy. Although I can't remember my exact objections to it offhand.

As far as where Lilith comes from, I said some basic things here:

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... abet#11114

If you're interested in pursuing her legend further, one could always start with this Google search. The Legends of the Jews (a rather well-regarded piece of work, from what I know) is a very interesting read, as well (well... the Genesis part, anyway). And a couple of pages I bookmarked a while back:

http://www.holysmoke.org/sdhok/lilith.htm
http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~elsegal/Sho ... ilith.html

I'll scan the article I have on NGE2 from Newtype later for anyone interested. Granted, I don't think it ever really outright gives you the "proof" that you want. But NGE info is so meager, if they give us an answer that doesn't contradict with anything that we "know", there is no reason to reject it because of acute scrupulousness. Might as well start rejecting things in the show itself because not every centimeter of it was touched by The Divine Hand of Anno.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Tsukasa
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tsukasa » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:26 pm

Thanks for the links. I'll have to read them later as I am about to go and watch Death and Rebirth simply because I am able. :wink:

I love piecing Eva together!
Romans 3:23

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”